daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1721
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Visualize, all in this one shot, at least two 900+ ft towers in front of the Railyards for Brookfield's project, a 900+ footer for One Hudson Yards, two more supertalls to the right of the North Tower (the Girasole and Sherwood Equties' tower) and another supertall (15 Penn Plaza) behind MSG.

The West Side is a hotbed for development.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:57 PM   #1722
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
prep start. As the name says, they start to dig, braking the flat ground surface.
Thanks for the info
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1723
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Construction starts in earnest on this project ASAP. Coach and the other tenants need to be in by md-2015.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:32 AM   #1724
RoofHeightMatters

Likes (Received): 73

Am I the only one who thinks those tilted skyscrapers don't fit NYC at all? I think they look out of place. But it sounds like everyone in this thread thinks they're perfect.
RoofHeightMatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:37 AM   #1725
Kanto
Roof height crusader

You're not the only one. I too don't like their design very much, not because they are tilted but because their bases are so wide when viewed from 2 of the 4 directions
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1726
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
Am I the only one who thinks those tilted skyscrapers don't fit NYC at all? I think they look out of place. But it sounds like everyone in this thread thinks they're perfect.
NYC has 400 years of architecture. Styles change. No American city is as varied as NY.

This incredibly underutilized area will have a bigger "downtown" than any city in America or Europe in 20 years other than Chicago, and yet, it's a sub-sub-market!

Imagine this area covered with supertalls!

Last edited by RobertWalpole; December 2nd, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:48 AM   #1727
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

Visualize, all in this one shot, at least two 900+ ft towers in front of the Railyards for Brookfield's project, a 900+ footer for One Hudson Yards, two more supertalls to the right of the North Tower (the Girasole and Sherwood Equties' tower) and another supertall (15 Penn Plaza) behind MSG.

The West Side is a hotbed for development.
Don't forget the future potential of a redevelopment of MSG.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM   #1728
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole

NYC has 400 years of architecture. Styles change. No American city is as varied as NT.
I agree. I think when people say that something is out of place 50% of the time it's because they are scared to trade familiarity with something new. Its out of place because its not what they're used too. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just that sometimes people need to be more accepting of new things and try to imagine a different New York. That being said. I think tapering is fine. I agree with Kano though, it does look very fat
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1729
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
I really don't see how they look out of place. They look "21st century" NY to me. An updated version of the typical 20th c. corporate box with the addition of the more pointy tops reminiscent of the art-deco scrapers of old. Now, if they were organic twisting feminine towers, they may look odd in the masculine skyline of NY, but I'd still welcome them all the same. NY really is an amalgamation of styles, and long may it be so.

Last edited by aquablue; December 2nd, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:06 AM   #1730
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Someone should really make a render of what that view would look like if all of those buildings are implemented into the skyline.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:16 AM   #1731
nycfann1

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post

I agree. I think when people say that something is out of place 50% of the time it's because they are scared to trade familiarity with something new. Its out of place because its not what they're used too. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just that sometimes people need to be more accepting of new things and try to imagine a different New York. That being said. I think tapering is fine. I agree with Kano though, it does look very fat
Completely agree. New York would be nowhere if architects didn't take chances or try to change common perceptions. For example, would the ESB have been built 80 years ago if no architect believed such a massive building were feasible??
Now that New York is undergoing a revival, architects must make bold decisions in order to stand out. Many on here think that 432 park's dimensions will make it look hideous or that hudson yards' looks fat but I am sure in 10 years those two projects will be staples in the skyline with as much recognition and almost as much praise even ESB.
nycfann1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1732
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Construction starts in earnest on this project ASAP. Coach and the other tenants need to be in by md-2015.
If I remember,Q2 2013?
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:42 AM   #1733
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePointWest View Post
If I remember,Q2 2013?
This Tuesday. Check last page.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1734
Kanto
Roof height crusader

One more question, iirc the Coach Tower can begin construction even without the rebuilding of the rail tracks that is to be finished in 2015 but the North Tower can't. Is this true or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1735
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
One more question, iirc the Coach Tower can begin construction even without the rebuilding of the rail tracks that is to be finished in 2015 but the North Tower can't. Is this true or is my memory playing tricks on me?
That's correct.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1736
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

Quote:
If you see these historic drawings, drawn after the new zoning laws early 20th century, I don't see why it shouldn't fit NYC:

SOURCE
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1737
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
That's correct.
Thanks for the info
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1738
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Hardhats to begin construction of Hudson Yards project on Tuesday

After nearly a decade in the making, construction workers will finally break ground Tuesday on the Hudson Yards project, the city’s largest privately-funded development project since Rockefeller Center, sources said.
A groundbreaking ceremony will be held Tuesday morning at the 26-acre site, expected to be anchored by a tower that will soar higher than the Empire State Building.

The first shovel in the ground comes more than two years after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority signed an agreement with the Related Companies and Oxford Properties group to develop the site, bounded by 30th and 33rd Sts., 10th Ave. and the Hudson River.
The early groundbreaking means the MTA can start collecting monthly lease payments of $230,000 before the final closing on the 99-year lease. Developers agreed to pay the MTA close to $1 billion to lease the site for 99 years.

The six-tower development will be built atop two $750 million platforms that will serve as foundations over the existing rail yards. The site will house a public school, 5,000 apartments with affordable housing, restaurants and movie theatres, a five-star hotel, and 14 acres of public space. An extension of the 7 train will be accessible from the center of the project.

MTA on Wednesday agreed to amend its deal with the developers to allow $50 million worth of site improvements to begin before a final closing. The MTA gets to convert $17 million held in escrow to cash. The $230,000 monthly lease payments increases by $200,000 a month if there is no closing by Feb. 1, said MTA Real Estate Director Jeffrey Rosen. He said the developers are committed to closing by June 1.

The fashion company Coach has agreed to purchase 750,000 square-feet in the first office building, designed by New York-based architecture firm Kohn Pederson Fox. Rent for the space has not been released.

Mayor Bloomberg earlier unsuccessfully sought to have a football stadium built there for the New York Jets, which would have also been used for the 2012 Olympics had the city won the bid.

The first phase of Hudson Yards, which includes the entire eastern portion, is expected to be complete by 2017.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2DuTQV2OD
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1739
acerx
traveling the world

Likes (Received): 26

can't wait to follow this project
acerx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1740
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Does this mean we get to move this to the main forum tomorrow?
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street