daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1881
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Please don't tell me they're tearing it down.
There's nothing amazing about it. It would also look disgustingly out place next to all those 21st century glass edifices. The contrast would be jarring.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1882
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
That will be gone too. That site also has a lot of air rights.
Approximately how many sites in Manhattan have air rights for supertalls? Is it common to find old buildings/undeveloped areas with enough air rights or is the space running out already?
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1883
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

does anyone have more renderings or details as to how the coach tower straddles the HL park?

from what I see IRL, the high line ends and then there is the sidewalk on the north side of 30th st. doesnt seem like there is space to have foundations south of the HL.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1884
mjmoney23

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Approximately how many sites in Manhattan have air rights for supertalls? Is it common to find old buildings/undeveloped areas with enough air rights or is the space running out already?
That is a good question, i would like to know as well.
mjmoney23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1885
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
does anyone have more renderings or details as to how the coach tower straddles the HL park?

from what I see IRL, the high line ends and then there is the sidewalk on the north side of 30th st. doesnt seem like there is space to have foundations south of the HL.
I don't know if these renderings help or answer your question, but definitely looks like there is a sidewalk on the north side of 30th as well as that small public space on the HL above 10th Ave. But with so much new park space, and public space within this development, and with the new Hudson Boulevard being built, this area will have plenty of open, public, green space. Second batch of renderings and link thanks to NYGuy.

Second batch of renderings and link thanks to NYGuy.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #1886
Strykr

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
That would be nice, but I doubt it. As soon as the platform is built for Phase 2, the residential towers will start rising unless the economy is in shambles.

That's why I think this whole project except towers 1 and 2, and Extell's other Hudson Yards tower are going to flop big time. If all these mega projects throughout the city are feasible why aren't investors/banks running after them with financing? Why are there stalled sites everywhere?
Strykr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1887
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykr View Post
That's why I think this whole project except towers 1 and 2, and Extell's other Hudson Yards tower are going to flop big time. If all these mega projects throughout the city are feasible why aren't investors/banks running after them with financing? Why are there stalled sites everywhere?
You forget that as the financial capital of the world, NY has an unparalleled level of demand. Many Americans want to see NY fail, but it never does.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1888
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
That's hard to answer for many reasons. Firstly, if a developer wants very large floor plates, a 1m sf tower could be merely 200m tall. If a developer builds a residential/hotel tower, that same 1m sf could easily exceed 350-400m.
Moreover, to get a site with, for example, 2.5m sqf of air rights (like 15 Penn or many sites in the Yards), a developer in Midtown would have to devote many years accumulating (and then emptying) many smaller, contiguous buildings on a block. That's what Durst did with BofA. Bycontrast, the Yards has many empty sites where a developer with a tenant can build very easily.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #1889
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Very nice renders. I am prepared to see the construction star already!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1890
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
That's hard to answer for many reasons. Firstly, if a developer wants very large floor plates, a 1m sf tower could be merely 200m tall. If a developer builds a residential/hotel tower, that same 1m sf could easily exceed 350-400m.
Moreover, to get a site with, for example, 2.5m sqf of air rights (like 15 Penn or many sites in the Yards), a developer in Midtown would have to devote many years accumulating (and then emptying) many smaller, contiguous buildings on a block. That's what Durst did with BofA. Bycontrast, the Yards has many empty sites where a developer with a tenant can build very easily.
Thank you for the info
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #1891
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you for the info
My pleasure, Kanto.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1892
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post

Looking at this rendering, looks like that area in front of the south tower will be on the same elevation as the High Line while everything else will be at the street level. Is that true?
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1893
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Many of those stalled site are coming back on line this year.
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1894
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Looking at this rendering, looks like that area in front of the south tower will be on the same elevation as the High Line while everything else will be at the street level. Is that true?
I think that's the idea to create a wide plaza on the high line level

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1895
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I added Sherwood, Manhattan West, and Girasole's old renders. (beefed them up in terms of height too)

Just think these renders are outdated and will likely have to be improved to compete with the rest of the city. Toss in Penn 15 and One Hudson plus 225 looming in the background. Ridiculous! So dense! Only NYC!
Amazing!!!

Quote:
The Coach site, which can accommodate a 2.5m sf tower, sits right next to Sherwood Equities 2.5m sf parcel on W 34th St. Sherwood needs a partner to build. If they choose Related, Perhaps Related can develop 400m + twin towers here.

Parcels with this much buildable sf really don't exist in Midtown or by Wall St. Moreover, any such site in those locations would probably have at least ten smaller buildings on the site with potentially hundreds of tenants who would have to be bought out. In the Yards, these sites consist of warehouses and parking lots that can be developed immediately.
Personally I'd prefer Related doing a 600M/200M complex instead of 400M twin towers, but the twin towers do seem more likely. Can't wait until the Javits gets redeveloped btw, it will be the final step in making West Manhattan the tallest and densest area on the planet.

Last edited by Winoc; December 11th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1896
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Do you think this project would have been pushed as far as it is now, if the Highline wasn´t developed at all?
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1897
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post

I think this confirms the platform will be slanted. It's noticeable on the bottom of the tower on right.

Top left of doughnut trees is location of that other render.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Do you think this project would have been pushed as far as it is now, if the Highline wasn´t developed at all?
I think the highline is just a nice bonus, not a reason to build.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1898
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winoc View Post
Amazing!!!

Personally I'd prefer Related doing a 600M/200M complex instead of 400M twin towers, but the twin towers do seem more likely. Can't wait until the Javits gets redeveloped btw, it will be the final step in making West Manhattan the tallest and densest area on the planet.
People predict that Javitz is going to move. What i'd like to know is Where? I'm not sure if the failed Queens plan was a good idea given the distance from Manhattan and there wasn't much support for that.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1899
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
People predict that Javitz is going to move. What i'd like to know is Where? I'm not sure if the failed Queens plan was a good idea given the distance from Manhattan and there wasn't much support for that.
It eventually will go to the Sunnyside railyards in LIC, which is one or two subway stops from GCS.
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1900
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Still a general lack of liquidity among lenders. The high end condo market in NY is arguably stronger than it was pre-Lehman bankruptcy, but there are still towers looking for financing. That's more a testament to a lack of liquidity than lack of demand, and those are two very very different things.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street