daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

LONDON | Kings Cross Lands Development News

Key Facts On Kings Cross Development:
  • 8 Million Sq Ft Development.
  • 4.5 Million Sq Ft Of Office Development.
  • 0.5 Million Sq Ft Retail.
  • 1 Million Sq Ft Community.
  • 2000 Homes.
  • 5 Hotels.
  • 6000 Student Campus Of Central St.Martin School Of Art And Design.

Development starting early 2008 after land is transferred to Argent with first housing and offices completed in 2010.St Martin School by 2011.

Mostly low rise with nothing likely to be over 12 storeys.Development is going to attempt to use as much of the existing Victorian Railway buildings as possible.

http://kingscross.argentgroup.plc.uk/index.cfm

Ill update this post when we get more info

The site.

Renders.

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM   #2
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Eight firms shortlisted for King’s Cross housing
02 November 2007

By Heidi Ancell

Eight practices including DRMM, Munkenbeck & Marshall, Panter Hudspith and Feilden Clegg Bradley have been shortlisted by developer Argent for the first residential schemes in the £2 billion regeneration of King’s Cross.

The firms will compete to be named architects on the first three residential plots within Allies & Morrison’s masterplan, an area backing onto York Way which will produce 560 homes of the total 1,700 planned and which will form a gateway into the wider King’s Cross Central site.

The eight, which also include Burrell Foley Fischer, Maccreanor Lavington, PRP and O’Mahoney Pike, will now work up proposals before the final three are selected by Allies & Morrison, Argent and other development partners before the end of the year.

The development of King’s Cross is now progressing swiftly after Argent won a court battle against local protesters earlier this year (News June 1).

Joint chief executive of Argent David Partridge said: “The important thing for us is not only to get great quality housing that people really want to live in, but also to get great architects on board who share our vision for the area.”

Alfred Munkenbeck, whose practice is working on the first of the three plots nearest the site perimeter, said it had been asked to design a “signature product” to include 160 residential units and commercial use on the ground floor. He said Argent “seems to be very serious about the way it chooses its architects,” adding: “Argent met with each of the three practices working on the first plot half-way through the design process to give us guidance about how to take it forward.”

Work is expected to start on site by November 2008 and to be finished by 2010.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #3
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13283

This can't come soon enough - the area is a dump at the moment.

Love the new station expansion... the roof looks beautiful, reminds me of the British Museum.

Shame it's relatively low density though. Considering it's the busiest transport hub in London, they should have gone for higher than 12 storeys. There were a couple of 600 ft towers proposed originally.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

In the very top pic, what are those blue structures in the foreground ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

I really like this development - Argent has done a brilliant job of preserving as many old structures as possible and incorporated them well the proposed new buildings.

The mix of residential, office, education and retail seems spot on too - it should become a very lively area in the future (the university building contributing so much).

I'm not too bothered that the buildings are low rise, for its location - skirting residential areas in Camden i think its the best option.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:30 PM   #6
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
Argent has done a brilliant job of preserving as many old structures as possible and incorporated them well the proposed new buildings.
But some people are still complaining (London Destruction bloke and 'local groups' for example).What is wrong with some people?
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM   #7
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5426

In the renderings all people are beautifull...
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM   #8
Brilliant
Hmmmm Bacon

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Haven't you heard? Everyone in the UK is beautiful, very much so.
Brilliant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM   #9
Manuel

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
This can't come soon enough - the area is a dump at the moment.

Love the new station expansion... the roof looks beautiful, reminds me of the British Museum.

Shame it's relatively low density though. Considering it's the busiest transport hub in London, they should have gone for higher than 12 storeys. There were a couple of 600 ft towers proposed originally.
Enough of the so called mixed use developments with their pseudo landmark towers. London needs a bit of a real quarter there.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 02:30 AM   #10
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Exactly - there are enough developments in London that contain 'Iconic' tall buildings. I think the look and feel of this place will indeed be more 'real' than most other developments. Low key, but high quality and creative.

Argent have also gone a long way to ensure the streets and building heights link up well with the neighbouring streets/buildings. This is so that it doesn't feel enclosed or separate from its surroundings, like so many other developments do.

We had a lecture with a guy from Argent who came to tell us about the Kings Cross redevelopment (granted, this means the talk was biased in their favour), and another guy from Camden Council. But they do genuinely seem to have taken a lot of things into consideration, and consulted above and beyond what they could have done.
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #11
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercitizen View Post
Welcome to Britain..
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #12
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

Are they buiding a tramway line, because in the last pic u can clearly see an lrt..

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #13
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Posted by Luke on the London forum :

Carillion wins £90m King's Cross office contract
26 November, 2007

By Karolin Schaps

Sainsbury's will occupy over half of the offices on the King's Cross regeneration scheme

Carillion secured a £90m contract to build two office blocks within the King’s Cross regeneration scheme.

The construction company was awarded the contract by developers Argent and landowners London & Continental Railways, and supply-chain managers DHL-Exel.

The contract will include the construction of 450,000 sq ft of office space, due to start in November 2008. More than half of the area has been pre-let to Sainsbury’s, which is set to occupy the premises by 2011.

Carillion's chief executive John McDonough said: “We are extremely pleased to beworking with Argent on this huge redevelopment of a vital part of London.”

Tony Giddings, Argent’s construction director, commented: “We are really pleased that (Carillion) are part of the King's Cross team as we get ready to start delivering on site, and with Sainsbury's occupying the buildings that Carillion will be working on - this is a fantastic start for us.”

This is Carillion's first contract in the 15-20 year King's Cross regeneration scheme.

http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?...de=3100891&c=1
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #14
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

awesome. i agree with wjfox, the area is a dump now.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #15
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:16 AM   #16
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

This is a crap area. Should all of the brown-coloured buildings be torn down for this big project?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #17
delores

Likes (Received): 467

Actually they are being reused as part of the masterplan, which I think is a very wise decision architectually and politically.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #18
Leesome

Likes (Received): 1963

Agreed. They may not be the most architecturally stunning buildings, but they certainly have character. As NothingBetterToDo points out, it's a credit to the developers that they've chosen to incorporate the older buildings into the project rather than replacing them, which they could have so easily done.
Leesome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #19
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Its' time to build new character. Those industrial buildings are ugly and so make space for new buildings. London has lots of decent old buildings.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote