daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Dubai Projects > Downtown Dubai Development

Downtown Dubai Development High-rise developments including Sheikh Zayed Road, DIFC and Burj Dubai forming Dubai's new downtown and CBD

Old May 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #81
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

Likes (Received): 9

100,000 Dubai residents face eviction

on Tuesday, 20 May 2008
RESIDENT EVICTION: Thousands of people will be displaced by the construction of Jumeirah Garden City.More than 100,000 Dubai residents face eviction from their homes as large parts of Satwa are demolished to make way for the massive Jumeirah Garden City project, according to a report to be published in magazine Time Out Dubai.

Jumeirah Garden City will be built over several kilometres between Sheikh Zayed Road and Al Wasl Road, running between Al Diyafah Street and Safa Park, one of Dubai's oldest, most established and demographically diverse communities.

Satwa is one of the last remaining areas of central Dubai where housing is affordable for people on low-incomes and is home thousands of families and bachelors from the Philippines and Indian subcontinent.

Land and home owners in the area are being compensated at up to twice the value of their properties, a source has told ArabianBusiness.com, while Dubai's Land Department told Time Out Dubai that some tenants are being given up to 80,000 dirhams ($21,700) to find new housing and that low-income Emiratis are being rehoused in new villas.

However, the thousands of "illegals" that live in the area, estimated to be as high as 60% to 70% of its population, are unlikely to receive any compensation.

"They live, six to a room, in buildings completely unsuitable for inhabitation. When the Land Department comes round to research how many people need rehousing, they have already scarpered," a source from the company responsible for developing Jumeirah Garden City told Time Out Dubai.

Dubai is presently at the epicentre of a region-wide construction boom, and Satwa borders the Manhattan of the Middle East - Downtown Burj Dubai.

"These low-quality villas and the illegal inhabitants they house simply can not continue to exist so close to Trade Centre, Sheikh Zayed Road and the heart of the city," the source said. "Not in such prime real estate."

The full report on 'What's next for Satwa' will appear in the next edition of Time Out Dubai, on newsstands on Thursday.

Sponsored Links

Old May 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #82
The-King

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybonita View Post
The full report on 'What's next for Satwa' will appear in the next edition of Time Out Dubai, on newsstands on Thursday.
please someone buys this magazine and scans the article, maybe it will include the first coloured masterplan
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #83
Woozy

Likes (Received): 2

I cant wait to see what its going to look like! Sucks for those illegals though, no where to go.
Woozy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:08 AM   #84
BinDubai
بـــــ ـدبي ــــــــــن

Likes (Received): 0

they gotta leave the same way they came in , so we can get a peace of mind , because they are nothing but trouble

المناعير
BinDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM   #85
dubaiflo
visit my homepage

Likes (Received): 9

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/image...100k_thumb.jpg

i think that the islands are gonna be part of the universe.

Last edited by dubaiflo; May 21st, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM   #86
The-King

Likes (Received): 76

yes they are
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM   #87
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
"These low-quality villas and the illegal inhabitants they house simply can not continue to exist so close to Trade Centre, Sheikh Zayed Road and the heart of the city," the source said. "Not in such prime real estate."

And when they realize that Deira and Bur Dubai is between SZR and Palm Deira, they will demolish it???

I hate Jumeirah Gardens City (and The Universe)!
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:36 PM   #88
Omaro
T R A N C E D

Likes (Received): 6

Some of that article is BS, not the whole area set to be demolished comprises of "low-quality villas"... The article makes it seem like this "unacceptable" area came up after the announcement of all the skyscrapers and developments on SZR, not the other way around... Well, I'm just bitter because I live there...

Unrelated, but what the heck happened with the business bay creek extension through SZR and Safa Park etc.? Or is that part f JGC?

Omography on Facebook
Omaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM   #89
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 3577

Not related ... however it seams like they are starting to prepare for the SZR diversion.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #90
GOL2007

They started preparing the SZR diversion??? Are you sure, they will digg the canal there now? The metro doesn't seem to be ready (no special pillars for long distances are visible)... I assume the Metro is more important to finish than the Damn Jumeirah Gardens City...

Can you make some pics? Mine are 2 months old...

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:24 AM   #91
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 3577

The special pillars for the long bridge have been completed already, however the suspected activity was on the other side of the road. It can be a false alarm though, just Municipality workers cleaning and maintaining the landscaping in the area.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM   #92
GOL2007

Nice, so the connection to the ocean will come. I had already given up on this project...
Maybe they will build the metrofirst, then the SZR bridge... this will be a BIG traffic mess!!!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM   #93
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
100,000 Dubai residents face eviction

oh so now they steal my picture?
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #94
hussamb

some how i feel sad for the ppl of limited income in Dubai, im living in sharjah now, but the prices is getting higher and higher, im not against these great building, but what will happen to the low class ppl in Dubai some of them are ( mwateneen )
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM   #95
LoverOfDubai

Hussamb, you made a very good point. It is very clear that Dubai (and to some extent the whole UAE) is trying to become a place only for the rich and wealthy. As this project shows, there is not respect for the current, here-and-now Dubai. Any way to get money and make Dubai look more world-class will mean getting rid of the true Dubai.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM   #96
Omaro
T R A N C E D

Well obviously they were not getting a lot of these areas so they want to replace them with more lucrative developments, very unfair to thousands of people, but as mentioned before, seems this city is aiming to attract only the rich and famous

Omography on Facebook
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM   #97
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:22 PM   #98
LoverOfDubai

What is the exact reason for the wierd shape? And why does it include Safa Park? Are there plans, other than for Business Bay, to develop the park?
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #99
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

The project boundaries are defined by two things: the canals that are going through and the ownership of the plots.
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #100
Omaro
T R A N C E D

Is the masterplan of this thing out yet? Any renders?

Omography on Facebook

Tags
dubai