daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #181
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

I thought most of MTR profits came from real estate holdings.

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #182
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
As did I. The property revenue alone must be millions.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #183
MarneGator

Likes (Received): 46

Hong Kong's MTR has a better profit margin for its real estate dealings, but its rail operations are profitable on their own.
MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #184
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Not subway, it is a tramway, but for nine days the Zaragoza tramway runs 24h because major fiestas in the city

00:00 to 07:00 every 7 minutes
07:00 to 24:00 every 5 minutes

since yesterday 8th October since 16th October

Apart of this, regular night bus which runs on fridays and saturdays will run everyday this week... and some days with double buses (this is, for instance, every 15 minutes instead of every 30 minutes).

And every friday, saturday and 11th night (the 12th is the major day) from each neighbourhoud there will be at least one line to city centre until 3:30. Sometimes every 45 minutes, other times every 10 minutes, depending of demande.

Edit: http://www.tranviasdezaragoza.es/not...stas-del-pilar

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #185
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

On an unrelated note the St. Charles Streetcar Line in New Orleans also runs 24/7.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #186
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Again... Zaragoza Tramway will run on New Year's Night almost all the night. It will stop only 2:00 to 5:00.

As I wrote in its thread, it is only half line (full line will be finished in 2013 but last april started the service in the first part).

It is not 24/7... but almost, considering that it is an only 700.000 people city.

Furthermore, several bus lines will run every 15 min since 1:00 all the night,.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #187
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
None really. Most agencies count advertising and other revenue as part of the farebox recovery ratio...which isn't that accurate but allows them (at least in the USA) to meet federal mandates. Chicago (CTA) for example is required by law to have above 50% farebox recovery ratio, and it's nowhere near that (more like 20%). However, the CTA is allowed to use advertising revenue in their figures. NYC doesn't profit at all; no city in the US does. Nor any city in EU for that matter.

One of the agencies in Tokyo I believe is the only one that truly makes a profit, but I'm not positive.
Moscow Metro is slightly profitable... Can't recall exact profit, but it's really small, comparing to total income and spendings, so one may call it breaking even.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:43 AM   #188
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Finally:
London is planning to start 24h weekend service from 2015, see The Guardian, 21 Nov 2013.

metrobits.org
| Follow metrobits.org on Twitter

dj4life liked this post
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:46 AM   #189
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

The subway system in Stockholm (capital of Sweden) is 24/7 during weekends. The station Kungsträdgården is seen in the picture below:

image hosted on flickr

Kungsträdgården T-bana Stockholm by Ana >>> f o t o g r a f í a s, on Flickr
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:27 AM   #190
saiho

Likes (Received): 1291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Considered isolated, subway operations in London, Washignton (DC), Honk Kong, Tokyo, New York all break even with their fare box.
What? Washington and New York don't make a profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
How many subway systems do break even at all?

Subways can be very crowded Fri and Sat night.
There are only 5 subway systems in the world that make a significant profit: Hong Kong, Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, and Taipei. But I have heard London Moscow and Delhi break even or make a small profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
Hong Kong's rail operations are one of the most profitable in the world it clocks at 186% Cost Recovery Ratio.
saiho está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:37 AM   #191
Kolony
Skyscraperman

Likes (Received): 240

Moscow Metro is open from 5 am to 1 am, meaning only a 4 hour closed period.

The Edmonton LRT ...has also the same hours as the Moscow Metro.
Kolony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #192
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
There are only 5 subway systems in the world that make a significant profit: Hong Kong, Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, and Taipei. But I have heard London Moscow and Delhi break even or make a small profit.
This discussion is somewhat incomplete. A metro never stands for itself. If you have feeder busses to give enough passenegrrs to metro you should also take them into account. It makes no sens if LU is profitable and busses are not e. g...

Berlin U-Bahn runs 24/7 at Friday and Saturday. This is nice for passengers but costs a lot of money because there is less time for maintainance.

Kind regards

Thorum liked this post
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM   #193
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
None really. Most agencies count advertising and other revenue as part of the farebox recovery ratio...which isn't that accurate but allows them (at least in the USA) to meet federal mandates. Chicago (CTA) for example is required by law to have above 50% farebox recovery ratio, and it's nowhere near that (more like 20%). However, the CTA is allowed to use advertising revenue in their figures. NYC doesn't profit at all; no city in the US does. Nor any city in EU for that matter.

One of the agencies in Tokyo I believe is the only one that truly makes a profit, but I'm not positive.
I really can't see anything wrong with including advertisment revenues. Those revenues are real and made with transit infrastructure.
Old April 6th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #194
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Is it true that the Philly subway and the Sydney rails had a 24/7 service ? I know that exists a petition in Philly to have a 24/7 service on the subway again !!!
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #195
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
I wish SkyTrain's Canada Line in Vancouver was built with switching capabilities so that it could run 24/7 or at least 24/3 or so. .... Add to that, SkyTrain Expo Line, since it IS the backbone metro line of the system. You would think with automated trains you could do this.

At least, have it run like the current until 2am, then have a 30 minute headway from 2am-4am, then two hours of no service from after 4am to 6am on Fri, Sat, Sun mornings. On weekdays (workdays), the service could run the 'normal schedule' until 1am, then have reduced night owl from 1am to 2:30am, with 2.5 hours available for mtc until the 5am start.

It does seem a bit weird, that for airport employees who are enticed to use the Canada Line, that it stops running so early yet the airport ops and especially mtc is 24/7. You would think there could be some plan or provision for more comprehensive night service with automated metros, you could even put a driver in it during the night owl to guarantee track switching/ops if that is an issue.
The switching is there and it could run 24/7 if Translink wanted to, but they don't/ It costs money to run. It would mean security and other issues. Maintenance would be more problematic, either requring shutdowns or some other method.

New York uses a "just in time" method - meaning the maintenance crews know where the trains are and get out of the way before a train comes through. The tunnels are 4-tracks for the most part, meaning the crew can go to the express track to allow local train through. And in other areas there a built-in alcoves to shelter in while a train passes. New york trains run every 20 minutes overnight.

New York has just changed this actually and is now closing significant sections of the network overnight for weeks or months to undertake maintenance and major repairs. Trains are rerouted when possible - fir example the R tunnel under the East River is closed for repair - so R trains weekdays terminate on each side with other services being used in adjacent tunnels. On weekends the R is rerouted via the Manhattan Bridge when B, D, N and Q trains run less frequently so they can fit R trains in between.

Other times the 4-tracks are useful is when a train breaks down or there is an incident. When I was in New York waiting for a B local train to World Trade Centre from 50th Street. The local tracks where blocked so the B local was simply switched to the express tracks between 50th Street and Canal Street. Passengers wanting the local stations could get a northbound local from an an express/local station as the northbound local was still running.

Just in time maintenance would not be allowed here due to Canadian safety and Worksafe BC regulations. Plus there is nowhere to jump to- and being elevated, that might be dangerous.

Skytrain could run 24/7 if they wanted. But with our population and demand, the buses can do the work. They don't even run 24/7 (except for the N10) - though they are close with last buses reaching the termini at 4:30am and first buses leaving for Vancouver around that time.
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #196
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Is it true that the Philly subway and the Sydney rails had a 24/7 service ? I know that exists a petition in Philly to have a 24/7 service on the subway again !!!
Philly's Green Line and Sydney have it, as far as I know. http://mic-ro.com/metro/24h.html
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #197
Fabio1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Philly's Green Line and Sydney have it, as far as I know. http://mic-ro.com/metro/24h.html
Yes, I know it, but my ask was another....
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #198
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

Here is a small update from Copenhagen.

The metro is still running 24/7, the timetable from Sunday to Thursday is 20 minutes on both lines and 10 minutes in the core.

Friday and Saturday is every 15th minute with a train every 7-8 minute in the core.

But we actually have another 24/7 system.

The Øresund train runs between Østerport, København H, The airport and Malmö once every hour.

In the weekend is supplemented by another line with a train every hour, going from the airport, København H, Østerport and Helsingør.

Another weekend line with 1 train every hour is Østerport, København H and Roskilde, this one is almost 24/7 as there is a small gap on Sundays to Thursdays between 02:18 and 04:36 going towards Roskilde.

Finally the S-trains is having a huge succes with their weekend night trains that all 3 lines is now running every 30th minute.

That is a train every 15th minute in the core because line C to Frederikssund only starts from København H so it doesn't run through the central tunnel.

Normally there are 3 radial lines north of Copenhagen and 3 south and west of Copenhagen but the Circle line then serves the 3 stations on the Klampenborg line instead of line C.

The two others from north to south and west are Farum to Køge on line A and Hillerød to Høje Taastrup on Line B

When they started it was only once each hour.

Fabio1976 liked this post

Last edited by bongo-anders; April 7th, 2014 at 01:18 AM.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #199
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Sydney cityrail does not. But the light rail does for a small portion of the line. It's not true 24/7 as it is a truncated version of the Light rail really.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #200
Fabio1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Sydney cityrail does not. But the light rail does for a small portion of the line. It's not true 24/7 as it is a truncated version of the Light rail really.
I know it, but my ask is about MANY YEARS AGO both the Philly subway and the Sydney rails !!!!