daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #241
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Excuse me Micro, I don't realize this thing : why you put the Metro Light Rail Sydney in the 24/7 section and don't you put the Metro Green Line of the Metro Transit Light Rail of Minneapolis / St Paul which is also 24/7 ? And I think that another small error there is for Philadelphia. In fact I think that you wished to write Patco Speedline, because there are also 4 lines of trolleys ( maybe are called Green Lines ) 24/7, but they are simple trams like the 24/7 Toronto Streeetcars or 24/7 Berlin Metrotram............And same question for the Melbourne trams. However about Philly or it is PATCO SPEEDLINE or PATCO and ( or comma ) TROLLEY LINES ( I hope the first option because the trolleys aren't metro... ).
Thank you for the possible corrections.

P.S. But can the Light Rails be considered Metro / Subways ? I have some doubt......
Thanks a lot, Fabio, really good points! I've just corrected the page.

As for the LRT/subway question, people are always asking it, and it's one of the things that haunt me at night. There's no clear border between them (similar as with railway/subway), so Metrobits.org might not always be exact in this point and often prefers listing a bit more over leaving something out.

Last edited by micro; August 13th, 2016 at 01:45 AM.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2016, 02:23 AM   #242
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Thanks a lot you Micro !! I am very happy that on this forum there at least another great supporter of the 24/7 service subway in the world. I am sure that many cities in the world should DESERVE this service : London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Moscow, St Petersburg, Kiev, Rome, Milan, Istanbul and maybe Athens in Europe; surely Cairo in Africa, Toronto, Montreal, Philly ( it was 24/7 until 1991 !!!! ), Mexico City and maybe Los Angeles in North America; Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and maybe Caracas in South America; Sydney and Melbourne in Oceania; Mecca, Dubai, Tehran, Dehli, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Seoul and maybe Bangkok in Asia.
Finally the next 19th August London will be 24/2 and I am sure that if it wil be 24/7 in next years, we will have a prompt domino effect for many other cities ( Paris for example where the Mayor anne Hidalgo had promised a 24/7 metro.... ). Are you agree ?
The problem about the maintenance jobs is only an excuse.
Can we organize some petition ( for 24/7 service in London for example ) ?

This is my letter to Sadiq Khan ( Mayor of London ) :

THE LONDON TUBE MUST BE 24/7, NOT 24/2 !!!
Dear Mayor, I am an Italian boy and I visited your FANTASTIC city last year. London is maybe my second favourite city in the world ( the first city is NYC, of course ). It is truly an incredible city and it has a great public transport system. I know that from next 19th August 2 lines of the tube will be in service 24 hours a day, but ONLY in weekends. Sincerely I think that this is a RIDICOLOUS situation for the second most important city in the world.
NYC has 20 lines ( beyond the Staten Island Railroad, the Path and the LIRR that also are 24/7.......) and all the 469 stations of the mythical subway are in service 24/7/365 since 1904, but also Chicago has 2 lines ( the RED and the BLUE ) 24/7 since 1892 and ABOVE ALL Copenaghen ( only 570k inhabitants ) has own 24/7 metro......
Now I already know that somebody of the tube will say you that the 24/7 service isn't possible for the maintenance jobs and that in NYC it is possible because the NYC subway lines have 4 tracks.......Dear Mayor isn' t absolutely true because many lines of the NYC subway have ONLY 2 TRACKS ( 7-G -L- J-S etc ) and they are 24/7 and the maintenance jobs are performed late night ON A SINGLE TRACK, while the other track is in service for both directions. And the same thing happens for the L in Chicago and for the Metro in Copenaghen. These 2 rapid transit HAVE ONLY 2 TRACKS in their whole system. And even the Path and the Staten Island Railroad ( 2 important rapid transit ) in NYC and the PATCO ( it isn't a metro, but an important railroad ) in Philadelphia is 24/7 and they are ONLY 2 TRACKS.....
Now I already know that the general manager or some board members of the TfL will say you that the Copenaghen Metro is new and totally automatic, but dear Mayor it is ONLY AN EXCUSE because the L Chicago and the NYC subway have more than 110 years, exactly like the tube......
And then somebody will say you that to have a 24/7 tube service isn't sure, but do you know how many murders there are in Chicago every year ? This year they will be about 700, while in London there are about 100 murders an year and your city has an triple population compared with Chicago.
Therefore there aren't excuses : if London wishes be a TRUE 24 HOUR CITY must have a 24/7 TUBE and not a ridicolous 24/2......
I know that you have a very open mind and so I am 100% sure that next time who I will vist your fantastic city the TUBE WILL BE 24/7 LIKE IN NYC !!!!

Thank you for the possible reply.

P:S. What is your favourite football's team ? My 2 teams are Napoli and New York City FC.

Last edited by Fabio1976; August 27th, 2016 at 03:25 AM.
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #243
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5970

Maybe it has been explained before but how does maintenance work on 24/7 systems?

mrsmartman liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #244
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6784

Karlsruhe in Germany closes its night public transport service from 12th September except for weekends (nights from Friday to Saturday and from Saturday to Sunday). On working days only the last connection during the night will stay operating because of shift workers.

Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:18 AM   #245
Fabio1976

100% agree with this old, but interesting article : https://pedestrianobservations.wordp...rapid-transit/
Old August 26th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #246
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post

As for the LRT/subway question, people are always asking it, and it's one of the things that haunt me at night. There's no clear border between them (similar as with railway/subway), so Metrobits.org might not always be exact in this point and often prefers listing a bit more over leaving something out.
I think it is more difficult to distinguish between well-managed commuter rail and metro rapid transit in Asia.

Light rail should be operated on narrow-gauge ROW.

Otherwise, it doesn't seem like light rail...

Last edited by mrsmartman; August 26th, 2016 at 08:09 AM.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #247
mrsmartman

Quote:
100% agree with this old, but interesting article : https://pedestrianobservations.wordp...rapid-transit/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenSin
The best expresses, in my opinion, are the IRT expresses. They were built before transit planners started with the consecutive-express-stations nonsense. On a weekday (when frequency is high), I can usually transfer to an express train, and catch up to another local train ahead 3~4 express stations down the line.
http://www.nyctransitforums.com/foru...-express-runs/
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #248
mrsmartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
To be honest, you can be a 24h city without having a 24h subway. Tokyo has closing times for approximately 4-5 hours yet is truly 24h with many bars, entertainment locations, restaurants etc. being open 24h (even some cafes are open 'til 1am).

I think that NYC is very lucky to have 4 track sections on their subway. It makes maintenance possible despite 24h running. Other cities do not have that luxury, and to avoid breakdowns I would rather have 4-5 hours off each night so that maintenance is top-notch.
Prohibition is actually good for economy.
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #249
mrsmartman

Forcing the underground to open overnight to boost economy is very Singaporean...
Old August 27th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #250
mrsmartman

Prohibition brings prosperity.
Old August 29th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #251
austrian
Once upon a time..

Likes (Received): 9

Do we have something like a list of cities with their various runtable?
Don't mean the exact times, just about the 24h/day/week/year or for example, as it is in a few cities, 24h only on weekends....
austrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #252
Fabio1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrian View Post
Do we have something like a list of cities with their various runtable?
Don't mean the exact times, just about the 24h/day/week/year or for example, as it is in a few cities, 24h only on weekends....
http://mic-ro.com/metro/24h.html

austrian liked this post
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:46 AM   #253
mrsmartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
I was just New York and I was super impressed with the subway. There are 24 lines, and most stations are served 24 hours a day, seven days a week. New York can do this because most lines have 4 tracks, 2 for local and 2 for express trains; some lines have 3 tracks, with the centre being reversed for peak direction express trains.

Overnight, trains run every 20 minutes. There are some express trains overnight too. And many lines combine and provide more frequent service.

I rode the subway a lot and felt safe at all times. They are not the most interesting stations architecturally, but they are functional and it is fun to watch the express trains going through the station on the inner express tracks, while waiting for a local train.

On the street, you can often hear the subway trains through the grates - the trains are just below the street.

Old September 1st, 2016, 07:47 AM   #254
mrsmartman

NYC clearly wins based on the number of passengers between midnight and dawn.

Fabio1976 liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2016, 02:51 AM   #255
Fabio1976

Quote:
Thanks a lot you Micro !! I am very happy that on this forum there at least another great supporter of the 24/7 service subway in the world. I am sure that many cities in the world should DESERVE this service : London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Moscow, St Petersburg, Kiev, Rome, Milan, Istanbul and maybe Athens in Europe; surely Cairo in Africa, Toronto, Montreal, Philly ( it was 24/7 until 1991 !!!! ), Mexico City and maybe Los Angeles in North America; Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and maybe Caracas in South America; Sydney and Melbourne in Oceania; Mecca, Dubai, Tehran, Dehli, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Seoul and maybe Bangkok in Asia.
Finally the next 19th August London will be 24/2 and I am sure that if it wil be 24/7 in next years, we will have a prompt domino effect for many other cities ( Paris for example where the Mayor anne Hidalgo had promised a 24/7 metro.... ). Are you agree ?
The problem about the maintenance jobs is only an excuse.
Can we organize some petition ( for 24/7 service in London for example ) ?

This is my letter to Sadiq Khan ( Mayor of London ) :

THE LONDON TUBE MUST BE 24/7, NOT 24/2 !!!
Dear Mayor, I am an Italian boy and I visited your FANTASTIC city last year. London is maybe my second favourite city in the world ( the first city is NYC, of course ). It is truly an incredible city and it has a great public transport system. I know that from next 19th August 2 lines of the tube will be in service 24 hours a day, but ONLY in weekends. Sincerely I think that this is a RIDICOLOUS situation for the second most important city in the world.
NYC has 20 lines ( beyond the Staten Island Railroad, the Path and the LIRR that also are 24/7.......) and all the 469 stations of the mythical subway are in service 24/7/365 since 1904, but also Chicago has 2 lines ( the RED and the BLUE ) 24/7 since 1892 and ABOVE ALL Copenaghen ( only 570k inhabitants ) has own 24/7 metro......
Now I already know that somebody of the tube will say you that the 24/7 service isn't possible for the maintenance jobs and that in NYC it is possible because the NYC subway lines have 4 tracks.......Dear Mayor isn' t absolutely true because many lines of the NYC subway have ONLY 2 TRACKS ( 7-G -L- J-S etc ) and they are 24/7 and the maintenance jobs are performed late night ON A SINGLE TRACK, while the other track is in service for both directions. And the same thing happens for the L in Chicago and for the Metro in Copenaghen. These 2 rapid transit HAVE ONLY 2 TRACKS in their whole system. And even the Path and the Staten Island Railroad ( 2 important rapid transit ) in NYC and the PATCO ( it isn't a metro, but an important railroad ) in Philadelphia is 24/7 and they are ONLY 2 TRACKS.....
Now I already know that the general manager or some board members of the TfL will say you that the Copenaghen Metro is new and totally automatic, but dear Mayor it is ONLY AN EXCUSE because the L Chicago and the NYC subway have more than 110 years, exactly like the tube......
And then somebody will say you that to have a 24/7 tube service isn't sure, but do you know how many murders there are in Chicago every year ? This year they will be about 700, while in London there are about 100 murders an year and your city has an triple population compared with Chicago.
Therefore there aren't excuses : if London wishes be a TRUE 24 HOUR CITY must have a 24/7 TUBE and not a ridicolous 24/2......
I know that you have a very open mind and so I am 100% sure that next time who I will vist your fantastic city the TUBE WILL BE 24/7 LIKE IN NYC !!!!

Thank you for the possible reply.

P:S. What is your favourite football's team ? My 2 teams are Napoli and New York City FC.
This is the reply of the Mayor staff :
Thank you for your email of 9 August to Mayor Sadiq Khan about the Night Tube. I have been asked to respond on his behalf.

As you know the Night tube was launched last weekend on two lines and will be expanded to include three other lines this autumn. Although the Mayor is keen for London to become a 24 hour city, there are significant challenges which come with having one of the oldest transport networks in the world, which need to be resolved before this can become a reality.

If you would like to find out more about the history of our wonderful transport network, you may wish to visit the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden on your next trip to London. More information about the museum is available online at www.ltmuseum.co.uk.

The Mayor has asked me to let you know that his favourite football team is Liverpool. Thank you again for taking the time to write to the Mayor.

Yours sincerely

Gillian Robinson

Transport Team

Old September 8th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #256
Fabio1976

http://news.wgbh.org/2016/02/24/loca...res-rest-world

Is Zurich metro open 24 on weekends ?
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #257
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8828

Zurich doesn't have a metro. Has a tram and an S-bahn.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #258
tokyo-hypa

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
http://news.wgbh.org/2016/02/24/loca...res-rest-world

Is Zurich metro open 24 on weekends ?
No the S-Bahn's definitely shut for a couple of hours during the night or so it was when i'm there.
tokyo-hypa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #259
Fabio1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo-hypa View Post
No the S-Bahn's definitely shut for a couple of hours during the night or so it was when i'm there.
I have read (also on wikipedia) that S Bahn Zurich is 24 hours Friday and Saturday.
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #260
micro

Likes (Received): 106

At http://www.zvv.ch/ you can find evidence in the form of timetables that show an hourly night service on several S-Bahn lines, including ones that run to and in the neighboring city of Winterthur, and the night network map: http://www.zvv.ch/zvv-assets/fahrpla...etz_dez_15.pdf

I wonder if the numerous other S-Bahn networks in Switzerland have night service too.

metrobits.org
| Follow metrobits.org on Twitter

Fabio1976, Manolo_B2 liked this post
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote