daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #41
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopc
São Paulo metro operates from 4:30 to midnight, like all other metros in Brazil, though Rio subway (which normally doesn´t even run on Sundays, can you believe it?) operates around the clock during carnival.
Closed on Sundays?
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #42
mopc

Likes (Received): 11997

Yes, Rio´s metro system does not operate on Sundays, much for the derisions of São Paulo people, who consider Rio a city of lazy bums. I coudn´t believe it myself when I first went there, a few years ago, eager to take pictures of the metro, but it was sunday so I had to wait another day!!! When I asked the girl on the ticket counter "you don´t open on Sundays??!!!" she said, "man, are you crazy? Wrking on Sundays??? NO WAY" ahahahahahah.... gotta love Rio.
mopc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #43
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

In Vancouver the skytrain stops at 1:30am. It should be open 24hrs on fridays and saturdays, I often take skytrain to a downtown bar or club and then have to leave at 1am.
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #44
globocentric

Likes (Received): 8

I think the nyc is the only city that has round the clock subway operations every day
globocentric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #45
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frungy
Only 24 hour service in Tokyo is New Years Eve.

Taxi companies would revolt if railways operated 24 hours here. Many people (or their company accounts) shell out over 10,000 yen (100 USD) to get home after the last train.
Yeah, because the price jumps up 30% at night. That ride would normally be 7,000 =P.

Taxis will still have a market even with 24/7 rail - door to door service.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #46
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by globocentric
I think the nyc is the only city that has round the clock subway operations every day
Chicago too!
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #47
.affed
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

In Montréal service stops at 1:30 except on the blue line where it stops at 12:30.
.affed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #48
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ
Yeah, because the price jumps up 30% at night. That ride would normally be 7,000 =P.

Taxis will still have a market even with 24/7 rail - door to door service.
About taxi prices.... I don't have the notion of how much does a taxi ride costs, for example, in New York...
Can anyone tell me how much does it cost to go from JFK airport to downtown Manhattan(I know it's a long ride)?
How about from, let's say Midtown(Times Square), to Downtown(WTC) New York?
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #49
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

^ The rates for yellow cabs can be found here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...cab_rate.shtml

JFK to Manhattan is $45, flat fare.
Times Square to WTC depends on the traffic, but assuming the cab doesn't have to stop and keeps a speed of >6 mph (virtually impossible), it would be about $10.
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #50
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Hong Kong's MTR and KCR (East Rail(Except Lo Wu Station, which closes at 00:00 with the closure with the Chinese Border), West Rail and Ma On Shan Rail) DO run overnight on these days:

The Day before the Chinese New Year (For people to the Flower Markets)
The Second Day of the Chinese New Year (For people who watch the Fireworks)
The Chinese National Day
The Chirstmas Eve and The New Year's Eve.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 04:04 AM   #51
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Barcelona metro will be open 72 hours NON STOP on September 22nd, 23rd and 24th, because of la Mercè, the main city festival!
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #52
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

MISC | 24/7 Metro/Subway Systems

In all the world only 2 cities have the subway open 24/7 :New York ( 20 lines open 24/7 + SIR +PATH and in part LIRR ) and Chicago ( 2 lines : red and blue lines ). The PATCO in Philly is also open 24/7, but it isn't a subway.
I know that some cities ( Berlin, Bilbao, Copenhagen etc ) have the own subway open 24 hours only in the weekends.
Are there rumors about the some subway open 24/7 in future ? Is maybe Toronto one of these ?
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #53
Centurymax

Likes (Received): 0

There's one line in Berlin's subway (I think line 1) open 24/7.... Anyway the Gold and the Blue lines in Los Angeles have a no service gap of just 3 hours in nightime (from 12:45am to 3:45am)... so is almost 24/7. However a lot bus lines in LA have a 24/7 service...
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #54
Urbanus

Likes (Received): 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurymax View Post
There's one line in Berlin's subway (I think line 1) open 24/7.... Anyway the Gold and the Blue lines in Los Angeles have a no service gap of just 3 hours in nightime (from 12:45am to 3:45am)... so is almost 24/7. However a lot bus lines in LA have a 24/7 service...
It have been the plan since the opening of Copenhagen Metro in 2002 to have 24/7-operation, but so far there is only night service on thursdays, fridays and saturdays. It is unclear when there will be 24/7-operation, but it is still officially the plan some time in the future.
Urbanus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #55
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

24/7 operation has also been under consideration in Amsterdam. As always, the plan has vanished in the mist of times...
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #56
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8828

It's worth noting that the Berlin U-bahn operates 24 hours on Friday and Saturday nights for the weekend. The "no service gap" there is from 1:30 til 4:00 so it's not that long a gap either.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #57
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It's worth noting that the Berlin U-bahn operates 24 hours on Friday and Saturday nights for the weekend. The "no service gap" there is from 1:30 til 4:00 so it's not that long a gap either.
I wish the Japanese system would adopt a system of keeping the trains moving all night on Fridays.
On the other hand having it operated 24/7 is totally inefficient and waste of energy. It will also leave no time for inspection and maintenance of track making operation hazardous as well.
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #58
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8828

Yeah I can fully understand shutting the system down as it is highly inefficient (despite being a nice idea) to keep it running all night every night. Friday and Saturday nights are a good idea as it helps to prevent people doing something which is endemic in the country which I currently reside - drink driving.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #59
gruber

Likes (Received): 15659

Milano Linee S - Suburban Railways (Underground subway service in the city, as RER or Stadt Bahn in the Metro Area)

24/7
fron 5.10 to 2.00 (3.10 of gap)
gruber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #60
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

I gotta say though, as a person who's out at the bars pretty late, I LOVE the fact that Chicago's trains run 24 hours a day. In the 6 years I've been here I've definitely taken both the blue and red lines at 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am and 5am going home from the bars.

I'm surprised how many 24-hour bus routes there are as well, 18 routes in total. Many other routes (like Halsted) run from around 2am to 12:30am. So there's only an hour and a half of no service. I believe the other 5 main lines run from around 4:30am to 2am.

Jeez, I just read there are 154 total bus routes in the city of Chicago. Seems like a lot...
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote