daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #61
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I wish the Japanese system would adopt a system of keeping the trains moving all night on Fridays.
On the other hand having it operated 24/7 is totally inefficient and waste of energy. It will also leave no time for inspection and maintenance of track making operation hazardous as well.
In cities like New York many sections are 3 or 4 tracked, meaning that 1 or 2 tracks can be inspected while services are run over the others.

Lower frequencies should allow trains to be run over just one track for short sections to operate a 24/7 service while still doing track maintenance.

It's not going to happen any time soon in London I think, not until all the signalling has been upgraded and requires less maintenance. Night buses are very frequent (100 routes, up to every 5 minutes!) and do the job quite nicely.

The Thameslink route does run 24 hours in its Central London section.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #62
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

We have the same problem in Miami with Tri-Rail and Metrorail. Downtown Miami (served by Metrorail) is booming for nightlife, but Tri-Rail (which runs up to Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach) quits running long before midnight, and the last north and southbound Metrorail trains leave at Midnight. For a while, MDTA hemorrhaged cash running Metrorail once per hour all night (7 days/week... with almost no riders to speak of during the week), then threw out the baby with the bathwater and stopped doing it.

If I were put in charge of both, I'd run Metrorail every 10 minutes between 10pm Friday/Saturday and 2am Saturday/Sunday, and every 15 minutes between 2am and 4am on Saturday & Sunday. Tri-Rail would run every 20 minutes between 8pm and midnight on Friday and Saturday night, and every 30 minutes between midnight and 4am on Saturday & Sunday mornings... with guaranteed connections from northbound Metrorail to northbound Tri-Rail after midnight. If Monday is a public holiday (Memorial Day, etc), I'd do the same thing on Sunday night and Monday morning.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #63
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

London can only watch in shame at the other cities with 24 subway running. There are plans for weekend 24 hour running (which probably won't occur without massive strikes and driver pay rises). Don't hold you breath!

London does have some 24 hour commuter lines however. Most of these cover parts of South London that have no subway and essentially the people there (like me) treat commuter trains as such. For everybody else there's an excellent Night Bus/24 hour Bus provision (one of the largest and busiest in the world in fact). My suburban road for example has a bus pass through at least every 8 minutes 24 hours a day.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #64
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Centurymax, are you sure that there is a 24/7 U bahn line in Berlin ? I think that you are wrong !!
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #65
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Centurymax, are you sure that there is a 24/7 U bahn line in Berlin ? I think that you are wrong !!
Yes he is - they only run 24 hours on Friday and Saturday night at a 15 minute frequency. The U-bahn shuts down from 1:30 - 4:00 (2.5 hours) every night like I said earlier.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #66
Letniczka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It's worth noting that the Berlin U-bahn operates 24 hours on Friday and Saturday nights for the weekend ...
Also in Hamburg, since 2004, as well the U-Bahn as S-Bahn, they run all-night service on Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday as 20 minute service.
Letniczka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #67
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

At the weekends, Barcelona metro is open from Saturday at 5am to Sunday at midnight: 35 hour non stop. All lines: 9 lines, trains every 15 minutes from midnight to 5am.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #68
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

In Stockholm both the metro and the commuter trains will be running from friday morning to sunday night next year!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:46 AM   #69
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
In cities like New York many sections are 3 or 4 tracked, meaning that 1 or 2 tracks can be inspected while services are run over the others.

Lower frequencies should allow trains to be run over just one track for short sections to operate a 24/7 service while still doing track maintenance.

It's not going to happen any time soon in London I think, not until all the signalling has been upgraded and requires less maintenance. Night buses are very frequent (100 routes, up to every 5 minutes!) and do the job quite nicely.
I guess with some modifications (interchanging crossing making single track operation possible) near selected station track would make it possible for 24/7 service in Tokyo while doing track maintenance but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
The taxi industry would probably be the first to cry foul since it would be hit their industry the most.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #70
Fabio1976

Why Los Angeles hasn't a 24/7 subway ?
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #71
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

i think TTC should have full night service on the Yonge line only all night on Friday and Sat night.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:44 AM   #72
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Great topic! Please keep posting which cities actually have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
On the other hand having it operated 24/7 is totally inefficient and waste of energy.
But night services provide excellent user-friendliness: no need to keep in mind start and end times of operation, night bus schedules, night bus routes.

Every no-service gap, and be it "only" 3 or 2 hours, is still a hassle and not comparable with a real all-night service.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM   #73
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Rhine-Ruhr area has a couple of S-Bahn lines and one light rail line with a weekend night service.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #74
HelloMoto163

Likes (Received): 65

yes i can agree that the "s-bahn" and metro open 24hours on weekends
HelloMoto163 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #75
Fabio1976

Why the subways of Madrid and Barcelona aren't open 24/7 ?
Are these 2 cities living all night ?
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #76
Chavito

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Last year, Madrid local government tried to open metro system all night during weekends.

But finally, due to disagreements with Metro union this idea did not start.

Chavito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #77
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
In Barcelona it is open from Saturday at 5am until Sunday at midnight. And next Spring, from Friday at 5am until Sunday at midnight.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #78
Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 11

SkyTrain in Vancouver is planning 24/7 operation during the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. Otherwise it operates between 21.5 hours (friday) and 18.5 hours (sunday) per day.

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Athlete's Village | 1.4M sqft, LEED GOLD

Vancouver | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Vancouverite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #79
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

Strike permitting, london has operates non-stop from 0500 (approx) 31st december to 0030 1st of Jan every year.

Don't hold your breath for anything more than that - Ken said we could have till 0130, that got cut to 0100 on consultation, and is now frozen due to union complaints.

Why can't the DLR run 24/7 weekends though (current construction work permitting)? Would be a huge perk to living there - particularly with the proposed west end extension.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #80
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5772

Quote:
The PATCO in Philly is also open 24/7, but it isn't a subway.
Actually PATCO headways in the night hours are 40 minutes, but the whole trip only takes 25 minutes. This means there are periods during the night, ranging from 5 to 10 minutes, when no trains are running anywhere on the line. And it is a subway in Philadelphia and Camden, though its zone-based fare structure resembles commuter rail (but some western European subways also have zones).

Boston, by the way, has no 24/7 subway service and no 24/7 bus service. And it's a college town!

Can Copenhagen and Turin just run trains 24/7 by flipping on a switch? It's not like they have drivers or anything.
Woonsocket54 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote