daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM   #101
Grunnen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 58

In Bochum (Ruhr-Area, Germany) there is only one subway line. On weekdays it operates from 4h30 until 1h00. On weekends it runs once a hour between 1h00 and 4h30. And you can use a normal ticket for the night subway and night buses.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #102
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,074
Likes (Received): 8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
In Bochum (Ruhr-Area, Germany) there is only one subway line. On weekdays it operates from 4h30 until 1h00. On weekends it runs once a hour between 1h00 and 4h30. And you can use a normal ticket for the night subway and night buses.
It seems that most German cities run all night transport on Saturday and Sunday nights.

I think Bochum has a Stadtbahn system rather than a metro system though running at 5-10 minute intervals at different points and 15 minute intervals at night. I know that Bochum is planning on upgrading its underground tram lines to Stadtbahn standards eventually though!

BOGESTRA which runs the transport for Bochum and Gelsenkirchen (and Witten) has 139.2 million passenger journeys per year!

Not bad for a city of 375,000 (Bochum) and 266,772 (Gelsenkirchen) and 100,000 (Witten) really.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #103
6-6-6
J'aime les concerts
 
6-6-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mexico City (23.8 millions of people,official), 3rd largest city in the world
Posts: 268
Likes (Received): 1

we should have this program!! the city itself doesnt sleep but we go to sleep because lack of 24/7 program!

mexico city: from 5:00 am to 12:45pm 24/7.

there are several rutes buses that have the 24/7 program.
__________________
My upcoming concerts: Iron maiden 24-feb foro sol park, Justice 29-mar roots magic, Ozzfest 2008 Korn ozzy osbourne black label society 8 abril foro sol park

Last edited by 6-6-6; October 27th, 2008 at 06:39 AM.
6-6-6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #104
jarbury
Resident Planner
 
jarbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 3,795
Likes (Received): 24

For cities like London, Paris, New York etc. there are bound to a be a HUGE number of tourists that couldn't care less whether it's Monday night or Saturday night. The tourists can also easily follow a subway map rather than work out complex bus routes, so I think there is tremendous value in a 24/7 subway for these cities. Tokyo is probably in the same category because of its sheer size.
__________________
All opinions are my own and not my employer's (or anyone else's).
jarbury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #105
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,074
Likes (Received): 8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
For cities like London, Paris, New York etc. there are bound to a be a HUGE number of tourists that couldn't care less whether it's Monday night or Saturday night. The tourists can also easily follow a subway map rather than work out complex bus routes, so I think there is tremendous value in a 24/7 subway for these cities. Tokyo is probably in the same category because of its sheer size.
I'd disagree. Maintenance needs to be carried out at some point and unlike NYC, most cities don't have the bonus of having express tracks and options to continue running whilst maintaining the tracks/trains. I prefer to see clean trains and well maintained stations and tracks - especially as a tourist!

I'd rather see service until about 1:30am (as that is a reasonable cut off) during the weak with service resuming at around 4:00-4:30am and 24 hour running over the weekend as is done in quite a few cities to 24/7 running.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #106
Homer J. Simpson
Registered User
 
Homer J. Simpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Posts: 2,465
Likes (Received): 18

^Bingo, most subway operators take maintenance and upkeep in high regard.

I know the TTC in Toronto has crews working every night of the week that begin the moment the subway closes.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #107
Justme
Gotta lite?
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manchester (Forecast: Rain)
Posts: 4,952
Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
For cities like London, Paris, New York etc. there are bound to a be a HUGE number of tourists that couldn't care less whether it's Monday night or Saturday night. The tourists can also easily follow a subway map rather than work out complex bus routes, so I think there is tremendous value in a 24/7 subway for these cities. Tokyo is probably in the same category because of its sheer size.
It's a good point, but keep in mind the Bus service at nights in London is enormous. There are of course the dedicated night service but as well as that many normal lines run 24/7 anyway. Buses may sound like a poor substitute for a subway, and normally they are, but at 3am in the morning there is so little traffic that buses are quite quick and efficient.

Most cities have one small map for their night bus services. Check outr how many maps it takes to cover London's 24/7 night services!
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...?borough=night
__________________
I'm doing my bit to save bandwidth by deleting my signature
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #108
Justme
Gotta lite?
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manchester (Forecast: Rain)
Posts: 4,952
Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
German Wikipedia gives a hint that Vienna's S-Bahn has night service on weekends. London has a special pitfall for airline passengers with early flights: the tube starts as late as 7:30 on Sunday mornings.
Are you talking about heathrow? There may not be a tube service available but there are plenty of buses that leave Heathrow at night. Between 2:30am and 4am there are some 40 buses leaving for various different destinations. I just checked that time frame but it's a 24/7 operation.
__________________
I'm doing my bit to save bandwidth by deleting my signature
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #109
sweek
Registered User
 
sweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London NW1
Posts: 1,636
Likes (Received): 1

Heathrow is served by 5 TfL night bus lines, all with pretty good frequencies. For example, the N9 goes to Central London every 10 minutes or so.

There are also loads of coaches to every single airport in and around London that serve a wide number of destinations 24/7.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #110
micro
Registered User
 
micro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamburg, .de Home: everywhere
Posts: 1,258
Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Are you talking about heathrow? There may not be a tube service available but there are plenty of buses that leave Heathrow at night. Between 2:30am and 4am there are some 40 buses leaving for various different destinations. I just checked that time frame but it's a 24/7 operation.
No, I'm talking about tourists going to Heathrow on their way home on an early Sunday morning flight. At 7 a.m. you want to take the subway to the airport like you would do anywhere, but you find the tube entrance locked. You walk to another entrance which is also locked. Minutes later you realize that the entire tube network is still closed. Walking around in terror with all your luggage, you start trying to figure out which other options there are to get to Heathrow in time.

Finally you end up spending a fortune for a taxi to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express from there (which goes only every 30 minutes due to construction work, and you just missed one train). All the time you feel in danger to miss your flight. Not really sufficient for a mega world city like London.

Last edited by micro; October 29th, 2008 at 03:48 AM.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #111
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ
 
monkeyronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,762
Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Are there rumors about the some subway open 24/7 in future ? Is maybe Toronto one of these ?
24 hour service (not sure if 24/7 or 24/2 yet) is planned, but won't be implemented until at least 2015. The signals on the Yonge and Bloor lines basically need to be upgraded to allow trains to share a single track at night while maintenance crews work on the other. The Shepperd line is already capable of 24 the, but the demand doesn't justify it.

Until then, there are dozens of street car and bus routes operating all night (1:30/2:00-6:00AM) operating at 10-30 minute frequencies.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #112
lightrail
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 205
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyronin View Post
24 hour service (not sure if 24/7 or 24/2 yet) is planned, but won't be implemented until at least 2015. The signals on the Yonge and Bloor lines basically need to be upgraded to allow trains to share a single track at night while maintenance crews work on the other. The Shepperd line is already capable of 24 the, but the demand doesn't justify it.

Until then, there are dozens of street car and bus routes operating all night (1:30/2:00-6:00AM) operating at 10-30 minute frequencies.
I'd rather have a frequent night bus service, rather than an infrequent subway. Look at the New york subway schedules after 2:00am, some trains only operate every 30 minutes - I'd hate to be waiting in a subway station at that time - didn't you watch the movie "The Warriors"
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #113
jarbury
Resident Planner
 
jarbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 3,795
Likes (Received): 24

Surely New York has some night buses?
__________________
All opinions are my own and not my employer's (or anyone else's).
jarbury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #114
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...
 
WeimieLvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,075
Likes (Received): 420

In most cases it simply isn't profitable to run the trains in the early morning when most people are sleeping. There would be a few riders, but not enough to cover the costs of operation. Atlanta's MARTA shuts down between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. - so it's only 4 hours. I have often wished it was a 24/7 system, but I undertand why it isn't. Atlanta had 24 hour bars and clubs, but not 24 hour transit.

When I feel like pulling a big drunk, I make sure I have a ride or at least a backup. If nothing else, a taxi will always bring me home...

I've been on a few of the night buses in London. They are rowdy and loud, but fun...and if you didn't hook up before last call you might still have a chance on the bus.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #115
Augusto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PAR THR KL SIN
Posts: 393
Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Surely New York has some night buses?
NYC doesn't have a dedicated night network but most of the lines operate 24h, with poor frequencies though (1 hour headway is not unusual).
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #116
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

There's no talk of 24/x service for the Montreal metro.

Last month, however, the trains were kept running all night long for one or two consecutive weekday nights in the hopes of keeping the train motors dry to due to unusually the warm, humid remnants of some Atlantic hurricane that had descended into the all-underground network, right after the city had experienced a chilly cold snap; mind you, the trains ran empty. The meddlesome condensation caused many extended service interruptions for about three days.

I think there was another night last winter that passenger service was permitted throughout the night due to a series of debilitating snowstorms that bogged down the city. The only planned/intended nighttime service was New Year's Eve 1999. Lastly, the first time nighttime passenger service was (October?) 1971 when the city experienced its "storm of the century".
__________________
.
hee hee
.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #117
Justme
Gotta lite?
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manchester (Forecast: Rain)
Posts: 4,952
Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
No, I'm talking about tourists going to Heathrow on their way home on an early Sunday morning flight. At 7 a.m. you want to take the subway to the airport like you would do anywhere, but you find the tube entrance locked. You walk to another entrance which is also locked. Minutes later you realize that the entire tube network is still closed. Walking around in terror with all your luggage, you start trying to figure out which other options there are to get to Heathrow in time.

Finally you end up spending a fortune for a taxi to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express from there (which goes only every 30 minutes due to construction work, and you just missed one train). All the time you feel in danger to miss your flight. Not really sufficient for a mega world city like London.
Taxi to Heathrow? Why on earth would you need that? There are 5 different NIGHT bus lines fanning from various locations into Heathrow that run all night long. This is not including the many other longer distant routes, just the local buses such as from central London. The N9 for instance comes from central London and for most of the night has a service every 9-10minutes on a Sunday morning

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ndon-13834.pdf
__________________
I'm doing my bit to save bandwidth by deleting my signature
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #118
sarflonlad
Registered User
 
sarflonlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,086
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Taxi to Heathrow? Why on earth would you need that? There are 5 different NIGHT bus lines fanning from various locations into Heathrow that run all night long. This is not including the many other longer distant routes, just the local buses such as from central London. The N9 for instance comes from central London and for most of the night has a service every 9-10minutes on a Sunday morning

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...ndon-13834.pdf
The guy makes a valid point.

Rail connections to Heathrow early morning Sunday are not exactly great.

Any other city I was in I would expect the subway to take me there.

That said, it's not uncommon to find airports connected only by bus and nothing else in other big cities no matter what time of day. Berlin springs to mind.

Still the point is: London night buses rule. Out of towners are always impressed - provided they board with a local. I even prefer to take the bus sometimes instead of late night less frequent trains.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:58 AM   #119
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao
 
Svartmetall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,074
Likes (Received): 8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
The guy makes a valid point.

Rail connections to Heathrow early morning Sunday are not exactly great.

Any other city I was in I would expect the subway to take me there.

That said, it's not uncommon to find airports connected only by bus and nothing else in other big cities no matter what time of day. Berlin springs to mind.

Still the point is: London night buses rule. Out of towners are always impressed - provided they board with a local. I even prefer to take the bus sometimes instead of late night less frequent trains.
But Berlin is building a new airport connected by rail - BBI will have both S-bahn and ICE/Regional Rail connections. Hamburg is currently in the same situation too though the S-bahn is being connected there.

I think a lot of US airports in cities are not connected to rail.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:02 AM   #120
Vascilli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 41
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
I'd rather have a frequent night bus service, rather than an infrequent subway. Look at the New york subway schedules after 2:00am, some trains only operate every 30 minutes - I'd hate to be waiting in a subway station at that time - didn't you watch the movie "The Warriors"
..Only every 30 minutes? In Calgary on the weekend buses sometimes run every 45 minutes, in the middle of the day. I think at night it's about the same.
Vascilli no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium