daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #121
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Digging up the old thread and summarizing it so far:

24/7: New York (20 lines + SIR + PATH + partly LIRR ), Chicago (Red and Blue lines), Philadelphia (PATCO), London (Thameslink only)

24/3 (Thu, Fri, Sat): Copenhagen

24/2 (Fri, Sat): Athens, Berlin, Bochum, Hamburg, Rhine-Ruhr (S-Bahn), Vienna (S-Bahn), Warsaw

24/1 (Sat): Barcelona, Valencia (C2 commuter line)

Planned: Stockholm 24/2 (2008), Barcelona 24/2 (spring 2008), Vancouver 24/7 (during 2010 Olympics)

Are there any news about the "Planned" entries, or did any other cities come up with 24/7 operation?
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #122
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

In Europe there are only 24/7 subways. I can't recall one that wouldn't be.
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #123
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

The Copenhagen Metro now runs all night every night of the week (as of March this year)
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #124
dmarney

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
No, I'm talking about tourists going to Heathrow on their way home on an early Sunday morning flight. At 7 a.m. you want to take the subway to the airport like you would do anywhere, but you find the tube entrance locked. You walk to another entrance which is also locked. Minutes later you realize that the entire tube network is still closed. Walking around in terror with all your luggage, you start trying to figure out which other options there are to get to Heathrow in time.

Finally you end up spending a fortune for a taxi to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express from there (which goes only every 30 minutes due to construction work, and you just missed one train). All the time you feel in danger to miss your flight. Not really sufficient for a mega world city like London.
If your scared about missing an early morning flight, you should check about ways of getting to the airport beforehand, i thought that was just common sense. The buses in London to the airport aren't really anymore dangerous or impractical than the metro, and if your still not sure, there are plenty of safe and comfortable coaches that go to the airport in the early hours of the morning.
dmarney está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #125
micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarney View Post
If your scared about missing an early morning flight, you should check about ways of getting to the airport beforehand
Thank you for the hint, but it's too late. As you might have concluded from my somewhat raged style of writing, it has already happended to me. I didn't miss my flight, but it was close. In my comparatively tiny hometown Hamburg and in almost any other city I have visited, metros are running as early as 5 or 6 am on Sundays. That the great city of London, the world city that I love and admire, the mother of all metro cities, would not have a better tube service than other cities, but in the contrary, a service that is worse, was far beyond my imagination. But in your life, you never stop learning...

To get back to topic, it's interesting that Copenhagen now has a pure 24/7 service. It may be partly owed to the fact that it's driverless.
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #126
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

PATH is 24 hours a day. Took it back to newark penn on this past new year's eve. Caught the last transit train home!

- A
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #127
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

As posted earlier the Copenhagen metro is now running 24/7 and they will start a 6 month test period with the S-tog on friday and saturday night, i think that is from 27-11-2009.

Last edited by bongo-anders; September 28th, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #128
bongo-anders

I am just correcting myself, it is from 20-11-2009 and all radials will have 1 train in each direction each hour.
The ring line and the boulevard line will have 2 trains an hour meaning that some trains will end at København H instead of entering the boulevard tunnel.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #129
micro

What happened to the plans of Stockholm and Barcelona to provide 24/2 service from 2008?
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #130
bongo-anders

Stockholm has night traffic the night before saturdays and sundays and i think that they also has it before public holiday.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #131
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Ours dont run at night.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #132
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Dutch subways do not run 24/7. Night buses take over their services after midnight (which is far too early!).

There is 24/7 train service on the intercity lines in the West of the country though (connecting Utrecht, Amsterdam, Schiphol Airport, Leiden, The Hague, Delft and Rotterdam).

On thur-fri-sat these night services are extended to include the cities of 's-Hertogenbosch, Eindhoven, Tilburg, Breda and Dordrecht in the south.

There are experiments with night services to other parts of the country as well, but on a more modest scale (there will still be a service gap).

Fabio1976 liked this post
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #133
micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Most are not. Some have a night break of three or four hours, some just two. But can a waiting time of two hours really be called a "service"?

I would like my subway line to run every 5 minutes all night long. But to draw a line, let's be generous and say something that deserves to be called a night service should at least run once an hour. Or what do you guys think?
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #134
City-Kelle
Kelle is into cities.

Likes (Received): 0

I'd say at least 30 minutes...
City-Kelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #135
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

Oslo have none! Only night buses during weekend. In week metro runs from 05.30 to 01.00 and 07.00 to 01.00 on Sundays. There is talks about running the tram network again during night though...
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #136
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-6-6 View Post
we should have this program!! the city itself doesnt sleep but we go to sleep because lack of 24/7 program!

mexico city: from 5:00 am to 12:45pm 24/7.

there are several rutes buses that have the 24/7 program.
What is the need for a 2h30 to 5h transport service ??? everyone that is up at that hour is either working (0h-8h) or is in the disco ... and the disco's only close at 6h (6am) so theres not a "need" for actual mass transit ... those hours are really much more usefull for a complete metro daily maintenance shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
For cities like London, Paris, New York etc. there are bound to a be a HUGE number of tourists that couldn't care less whether it's Monday night or Saturday night. The tourists can also easily follow a subway map rather than work out complex bus routes, so I think there is tremendous value in a 24/7 subway for these cities. Tokyo is probably in the same category because of its sheer size.
Maintenance is better at night than durring rush hour ...
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #137
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
No, I'm talking about tourists going to Heathrow on their way home on an early Sunday morning flight. At 7 a.m. you want to take the subway to the airport like you would do anywhere, but you find the tube entrance locked. You walk to another entrance which is also locked. Minutes later you realize that the entire tube network is still closed. Walking around in terror with all your luggage, you start trying to figure out which other options there are to get to Heathrow in time.

Finally you end up spending a fortune for a taxi to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express from there (which goes only every 30 minutes due to construction work, and you just missed one train). All the time you feel in danger to miss your flight. Not really sufficient for a mega world city like London.
Excuse me for being so blunt but who ever plans a major trip (air) and neglects to even consult online metro/train/bus schedules prior to leaving home ???

If I managed to get from glasgow suburbs to London in time to catch 10 different services along the route ... and mynd you there was even engeniering works so no comuter trains in glasgow nor metro in london (circle closed due to gas leak at paddington) ...
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM   #138
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

And it's not really an issue as there are plenty of bus services from Heathrow into London that run 24hours. The key point that one needs when arriving at an airport is available transportation. During the day when there is heavy traffic, there is no doubt that the best option is a train or metro system. But in the early hours of the morning when the roads are mainly empty, there is nothing wrong with a bus. I'd actually prefer to hop on a double decker bus in London at 4am from Heathrow airport anyway, as it offers a fascinating view from the top deck of the city you have just arrived at.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM   #139
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

I never knew trains still run in the Randstad (western area Netherlands) after 12:30am. I thought they didn't. Luckily I live in the Randstad
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #140
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
PATH is 24 hours a day. Took it back to newark penn on this past new year's eve. Caught the last transit train home!

- A
How can you catch a last train if the train runs all day all night?

EDIT: Oops, dead thread, sorry.

But on the subject, any cities run their BUSES 24/7? Chicago and New York do.

Commuter rails? Intercity rails?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote