daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Schmeek
Registered User
 
Schmeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,569
Likes (Received): 0

BRISTOL | New Bristol City FC Stadium | 30,000 | Proposed

From the BBC.

Bristol City unveil stadium plan
Bristol City FC has announced plans for a new 30,000 capacity stadium.
At the Championship club's Annual General Meeting on Thursday a spokesman said a site in south Bristol was already earmarked for the development.

The club hopes planning permission will be in place by the end of 2009 and the new stadium will be ready in time for the 2011/2012 season.

A spokesman said the club hoped to be able to host World Cup games, in which case capacity could increase to 40,000
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Gherkin
actual gherkin
 
Gherkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
Posts: 13,732
Likes (Received): 376

I can't copy and/or paste it from here:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetai...178896,00.html

but that's the full story!
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #3
dronkula
Registered User
 
dronkula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,528
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
From the BBC.

The club hopes planning permission will be in place by the end of 2009 and the new stadium will be ready in time for the 2011/2012 season.
This is something the BBC have got wrong.

They want PP by the end of 2008 with construction starting by the end of 2009.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #4
Schmeek
Registered User
 
Schmeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,569
Likes (Received): 0

One step closer..... from the BBC:


New stadium site for Bristol City
The site of Bristol City FC's proposed new stadium in the south of the city has been confirmed by the club.
The club said it had now completed the purchase of 42 acres of land in Ashton Vale, behind the David Lloyd sports centre in south Bristol.

The club are hoping that the new stadium will be built by 2012.

It previously said it wanted a 30,000-capacity stadium and that Ashton Gate could be sold off for housing once the move was complete.


Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Chris H
Registered User
 
Chris H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Calne, Wiltshire
Posts: 291
Likes (Received): 0

With BCFC currently equal top of the Championship (on points) and with a good chance of Premiership footy next year under the astute guidance of Gary Johnson etc, it seems like the club is on the up after a couple of decades in the doldrums. A major UK Core City such as Bristol needs a team in the top tier of English football, as the southwest has always been poorly represented at the highest level of the game for too long now (at least since 1981).

A 30,000 capacity stadium should suffice, with a built-in expansion design if required. Let's hope it's not simply just another 'Blandbowl' design but something a bit more original, eg, like Bolton's Reebok Stadium, which holds around 28,500 supporters.
__________________
Hopelessy Devoted
Chris H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Chogmook
Mancunian Member
 
Chogmook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Stalybridge, Manchester
Posts: 6,292
Likes (Received): 51

If they can get in the premiership, and stay there, it'd be nice if Bristol have an expandable stadium, as it would boost the chances of a World Cup game being played there if we get 2018.
__________________
Britain is Great, Manchester is Greater!
Chogmook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
JamesWales
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: City of Cardiff
Posts: 2,153
Likes (Received): 0

For me Gary Johnson is the best manager outside the Premiership at the moment. His record is astounding, and what he's done at Bristol City so far is amazing, because the team only went up last year on the last day of the season.

Just so I'm not accused of going off-topic, I'd be incredibly surprised if the ground couldn't be expanded. It just doesn't happen nowadays, and really never did-there is always a way to expand every ground. Also, I'd prefer to see Ashton gate developed as it has character, and the fairly unique attribute that three of it's four roofs are red. I know a bloke who worked in 1994 on the newer stand in with the white roof and once chastised him for it not being painted red...

now 99.9% of the readers have no idea what I'm on about!

Last edited by JamesWales; January 9th, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #8
CharlieP
Registered User
 
CharlieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wakefield, Little Satan
Posts: 21,939
Likes (Received): 515

Does anybody have the exact location of the new stadium?
__________________
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Tony Sebo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 18,252
Likes (Received): 10

Excellent news!

Are there any scematics coming out soon?
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Schmeek
Registered User
 
Schmeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,569
Likes (Received): 0

The site earmarked is about half a mile (if that) south-west of Ashton Gate. This is the land that Steve Lansdown (City Chairman) has purchased recently.
The city centre is about a mile (as the crow flies) north-east from AG in this picture. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into this new location; the park and ride is next door (parking for matchdays has been notoriously chaotic over the years), and the new Ring rd (if built) will be connecting to the A370 just off the picture to the west. On top of that there has been talk of incorporating the south-west train mainline (running bottom of screen) for a possible new station. The fact that SL has invited Bristol city council to place their failed city centre arena on his newly aquired land has further revealed the jigsaw which seems to be coming together quite quickly.



Sorry Tony, we won't be seeing any schematics for a while as no fan consultation etc has taken place yet, but we hope to see something towards the second half of 2008.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Tony Sebo
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 18,252
Likes (Received): 10

Thanks for the info shmeek.
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #12
Kobo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 400
Likes (Received): 11

I am really pleased that Bristol City are planning for a new stadium which could be used in a 2018 bid. Although its likely that they will build a bowl shaped ground like MK Dons, Derby, Southampton etc because this design seems to be cheap and efficient. However I would love for them to build something like Lazio's new 40,000 stadium


However this Lazio stadium seems rather expensive. But in recent years this other curvatious type of stadium design has come quite common and is rather nice.

Leipzig (2006 W.C)


Manchester City (2002 Comonwealth Games)


Kobe (Japan 2002 W.C)


I am not sure how expensive this type of design is, but I think its aesthetically a lot better than the St Mary's, MK Dons type of stadium. What does everyone think, do you think Bristol City could build something a little different?
Kobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #13
JamesWales
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: City of Cardiff
Posts: 2,153
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
I am really pleased that Bristol City are planning for a new stadium which could be used in a 2018 bid. Although its likely that they will build a bowl shaped ground like MK Dons, Derby, Southampton etc because this design seems to be cheap and efficient. However I would love for them to build something like Lazio's new 40,000 stadium


However this Lazio stadium seems rather expensive. But in recent years this other curvatious type of stadium design has come quite common and is rather nice.

Leipzig (2006 W.C)


Manchester City (2002 Comonwealth Games)


Kobe (Japan 2002 W.C)


I am not sure how expensive this type of design is, but I think its aesthetically a lot better than the St Mary's, MK Dons type of stadium. What does everyone think, do you think Bristol City could build something a little different?
I'd say it's extremely unlikely that Bristol City's new ground will be architecturally interesting. Last achitecturally interesting mid-size football ground was the Reebok stadium, but that is still utter cack because theres more atmosphere on the moon, and its 12 miles out of Bolton.

Modern stadia development in the UK is an increasingly depressing topic to be interested in (I'm addicted, so theres no helping me!) In my opinion, look to what the Germans do...Immesurably better, more interesting and more socially inclusive stadia than ours.
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #14
Schmeek
Registered User
 
Schmeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,569
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
I am not sure how expensive this type of design is, but I think its aesthetically a lot better than the St Mary's, MK Dons type of stadium. What does everyone think, do you think Bristol City could build something a little different?
Well Kobo I think it's fair to say none of us want a St. Mary's or similar. TBH I think they definately could build something different but it would only house maybe only 15,000 or so. To achieve the 30,000 there's no doubt that it would be rather bland I'm afraid. The only scenario when this might change is if City make it into the prem and stay there for a few years (our [very rich] chairman has stated that if we go up the entire £40m will be put into the team and not the ground).
I think it's quite likely that the WC could come to Bristol should England win it of course.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #15
Kobo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 400
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
I'd say it's extremely unlikely that Bristol City's new ground will be architecturally interesting. Last achitecturally interesting mid-size football ground was the Reebok stadium, but that is still utter cack because theres more atmosphere on the moon, and its 12 miles out of Bolton.

Modern stadia development in the UK is an increasingly depressing topic to be interested in (I'm addicted, so theres no helping me!) In my opinion, look to what the Germans do...Immesurably better, more interesting and more socially inclusive stadia than ours.
Yeah I totally agree with you that the Germans have some great looking stadiums. I assume you have seen the LTU Arena in Dusseldorf, it has 51,500 seats built in 2004 and was not even included as a host city for 2006 w.c. And I think the team that use it are in the 2nd or 3rd German division!!

(I think it didn't get included as there were a lot of cities in that area of Germany who hosted.) But they have many others too, hopefully if we host the 2018 W.C we will be in the same position.

It is a shame that in the UK has these flat pack ikea stadiums are springing up every where. The Reebok is different to the others which is great, but I didn't realise that it had no atmosphere. I guess its good that Liverpool plan on doing something different in terms of design (although this could change because of the costs etc etc). Maybe when they build the new Anfield it will inspire other teams to build something different.

However, I do believe that the German Government helped football clubs pay for the upgrades and new stadiums, for their W.C. Do you think the British Government might help out smaller clubs refurbish their grounds if they were chosen as 2018 host cities? That might be Bristols best chance of getting a nice 30,000-40,000 stadium.

I am glad City are building it close to Ashton Gate, and its interseting that Bristols areana could be built there too. This wealthy Chairman of there's how much is he intending on spending on the stadium if they don't go up?
Kobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #16
Kobo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 400
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
Modern stadia development in the UK is an increasingly depressing topic to be interested in (I'm addicted, so theres no helping me!)
Glad to hear it I am addicted too, there must be some sort of treatment somewhere!
Kobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #17
JamesWales
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: City of Cardiff
Posts: 2,153
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Yeah I totally agree with you that the Germans have some great looking stadiums. I assume you have seen the LTU Arena in Dusseldorf, it has 51,500 seats built in 2004 and was not even included as a host city for 2006 w.c. And I think the team that use it are in the 2nd or 3rd German division!!

(I think it didn't get included as there were a lot of cities in that area of Germany who hosted.) But they have many others too, hopefully if we host the 2018 W.C we will be in the same position.

It is a shame that in the UK has these flat pack ikea stadiums are springing up every where. The Reebok is different to the others which is great, but I didn't realise that it had no atmosphere. I guess its good that Liverpool plan on doing something different in terms of design (although this could change because of the costs etc etc). Maybe when they build the new Anfield it will inspire other teams to build something different.

However, I do believe that the German Government helped football clubs pay for the upgrades and new stadiums, for their W.C. Do you think the British Government might help out smaller clubs refurbish their grounds if they were chosen as 2018 host cities? That might be Bristols best chance of getting a nice 30,000-40,000 stadium.

I am glad City are building it close to Ashton Gate, and its interseting that Bristols areana could be built there too. This wealthy Chairman of there's how much is he intending on spending on the stadium if they don't go up?
I think what went against Dusseldorf, is that it was probably entering the planning stages later than most other grounds in Germany, and with Fortuna Dusseldorf not being a hugely succesful club of late, their lobbying power wasn't as great. It's also true as you say that there are many other great grounds in that part of Germany, so as good as the LTU Arena is, it still wasn't good enough for the world cup.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread.

I'd be very surprised if the UK government assisted much. They'll probably leave it all to the private sector. I think if England host the 2018 world cup (which incidentally I think will more likely be in Australia or Canada) then there will be a venue up for grabs in the south/south west, but whether that went to Plymouth/Southampton/Bristol/Portsmouth or Reading I have no idea. Bristol is a big city, but the argument about spreading the world cup around holds more water if Plymouth hosted games. Anyway, again this is for another thread..

re Bristol City's new ground I'd be prepared for a long fight, and many redesigns along the way. BCFC are a funny club in many ways; Lets say, realistically the ground was opening in 2012, well BCFC could be a Premier League club needing a 35-40,000 capacity ground, or they could be back in league 1, needing something half that size. I know when Cardiffs new ground was first mooted around 2001 it was for a 60,000 stadium..it will now open in 2009 with barely 30,000 seats..thats the way it goes for most clubs.
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #18
Schmeek
Registered User
 
Schmeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,569
Likes (Received): 0

I think even if we were a Prem side we would struggle initially to fill 35-40k. That would take quite a few years I would think. 25k-30k is more realistic until we cultivate the new batch of fans we are growing.

Is that the official figure for the new ground then James - 30k?

It's great being an addict
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #19
BS3_RED
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
I think even if we were a Prem side we would struggle initially to fill 35-40k. That would take quite a few years I would think. 25k-30k is more realistic until we cultivate the new batch of fans we are growing.

Is that the official figure for the new ground then James - 30k?

It's great being an addict
We should find some of the details in the next couple of weeks.
I am sure i read somewhere that we would get some information (including some renders of the design) before or on the open day which is in a couple of weeks.

It should be good to finally see what we will be calling home for the next 100 years.
BS3_RED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #20
RMB2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,764
Likes (Received): 3350

My biggest fear is City will end up with yet another single-tiered bowl stadium. I can't help but think that the new stadium will be similar to Southampton's. Hopefully Lansdown will prove me wrong and City will get something new and exciting.

I also hope they pick a design that could be expanded to host world cup games, that would be amazing if this region could be part of our country's world cup bid.
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu