daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM   #21
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

People don't like condo living in Montréal.

Montréal has a 360 degrees axis of developpments which make quality lands still attractive and pretty close to downtown montreal. People aren't intrested in being crammed in a 700sqf condo when they can get a single family house for about the same price.
« Montréal n'est pas une belle ville. Ce sont les gens et les lieux qui sont beaux. »
malek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM   #22
Catac1aw

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaguy View Post
'many of them 25 floors and more"MOST PEOPLE WOULD NOT CONSIDER A BUILDING OF 25 FLOORS TO BE A SKYSCRAPER.
Emporis defines a high-rise as a building with 12 floors and more.

Also, your caps lock seems to be stuck.
Catac1aw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #23
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

Then what is the difference between a skyscraper and a hi-rise?
novaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #24
bryson662001
Rittenhouse Hi-rise

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaguy View Post
Then what is the difference between a skyscraper and a hi-rise?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A loose convention in the United States (North America?)now draws the lower limit of a "skyscraper" at 150 meters (500 ft). A skyscraper taller than 300 meters (984 ft) may be referred to as supertall. In the United States, the supertall convention is 100 stories, which is equal to 1,000 feet. Shorter buildings are still sometimes referred to as skyscrapers if they appear to dominate their surroundings.

The somewhat arbitrary term skyscraper should not be confused with the slightly less arbitrary term highrise, defined by the Emporis Standards Committee as "A high-rise building is a multi-story structure with at least 12 floors or 35 meters (115 feet) in height."

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #25
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek View Post
People don't like condo living in Montréal.
although accustomed to living in flats.....semi-detacheds and detacheds are comparatively rare while duplexes, triplexes and quadplexes have been quite popular over the ages.

Quote:
Montréal has a 360 degrees axis of developpments
right: caves swarm the mountain while houseboats serve as bridges to the mainland way over yonder!
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #26
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

Plex flats are much bigger in surfaces than the current conds being built at this moment.

These maps speak for themselves, not gonna bother arguing with you over this:

Toronto

Montreal

Vancouver
« Montréal n'est pas une belle ville. Ce sont les gens et les lieux qui sont beaux. »
malek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #27
YohIMhER

Likes (Received): 2

went to montreal this past summer, such a beautiful city with lots of beautiful people.
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #28
Gilbert

Construction Update:

December 8, 2007

(by Gilbert) (mtlurb.com)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Gilbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #29
Rumors

Likes (Received): 1683

Looks great.
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #30
trainrover

Quote:
not gonna bother arguing with you over this:
You're excused, coz I think nothing of your stat-maps -- they fit snug into what I relate here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...0&postcount=90

Besides, they must be a bit questionable, after all, when you consider their going so far as to bother interpolating for the non-existant >12K threshold in 'n 'round the island here......I wonder what nonsense they wish to convey?
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #31
Catac1aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
You're excused, coz I think nothing of your stat-maps -- they fit snug into what I relate here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...0&postcount=90

Besides, they must be a bit questionable, after all, when you consider their going so far as to bother interpolating for the non-existant >12K threshold in 'n 'round the island here......I wonder what nonsense they wish to convey?
What's the point you're trying to make exactly?

They're interpolating for that non-existant >12K threshold because statscan is a reputable source for maps/statistics and they aren't into the business of propaganda. As such, these choropleth maps have the same value ranges for their color associations.

Now, because these maps aren't spatially extensive, you don't get a complete picture of the population distribution, especially in the 12k+ range in Toronto for instance.

Anyway, i think it's clear the maps do speak for themselves and the point Malek is making is quite valid.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #32
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

37 stories and it's the tallest building in Montreal in 15 years? That's sad. And buildings over 25 stories there are called skyscrapers? That's even sadder. Seems like it's been a slow and steady slide downhill since '67.
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #33
Catac1aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
37 stories and it's the tallest building in Montreal in 15 years? That's sad. And buildings over 25 stories there are called skyscrapers? That's even sadder. Seems like it's been a slow and steady slide downhill since '67.
On the contrary, it's been steady progress since the turn of the century!
Montreal doesn't build in height, but it builds a fair amount, and along smart growth / new urbanism guidelines.

Density! That's what Montreal's about.
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM   #34
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

If Montreal is about density why does the population keep getting smaller? I guess those who are left keep huddling closer together for warmth!
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:21 AM   #35
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

First time I am reading that Montreal's population is declining... Do you have a source?
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:24 AM   #36
Catac1aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
If Montreal is about density why does the population keep getting smaller? I guess those who are left keep huddling closer together for warmth!
Huh? Montreal is growing, not declining! In fact the entire province of Quebec has known a mini population boom as of late!

Here are the population figures:

Island of Montreal
1996 1,775,846
2001 1,812,723
2006 1,854,442

Montreal Metro
2001 3,451,027
2006 3,635,571 +5.3%
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:42 AM   #37
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5329

why is this building not on Emporis?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:43 AM   #38
Catac1aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
why is this building not on Emporis?
Emporis seems to be a bit behind on all the Montreal projects... it's like they have no site staff following the updates on Montreal.
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM   #39
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catac1aw View Post
What's the point you're trying to make exactly?
I made my point in some other SSC posting of mine ages ago: N American statistics are so quacked-up (doctored-up), wherein the data smell of bland wizardry.....

Montreal's not a 360-degree town. There are obligatory bridges to overcome as well as some rocky hill more often necessitating skirting, all while the northern suburban communities amount to where most growth's taking place in and around the island here as opposed to being uniformly all about it.....
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:41 AM   #40
Catac1aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I made my point in some other SSC posting of mine ages ago: N American statistics are so quacked-up (doctored-up), wherein the data smell of bland wizardry.....
I've studied mapping and statistics and they can indeed be manipulated to convey a point or give a contradictory impression. Here's an example: A choropleth map indicating population change by admistrative area. The administrative areas might not all have equal populations, which means you might end up with a rural area with 300 people that grows to 330. That's a whopping 10% increase! Yet it's a measly change of 30 people, whereas in the city 30,000 new people might be added but the percentage change is only 0.1%.

So, having said that, we can see that Statcan's population density maps are spatial intensive and simply cannot "lie", short of the data being falsified. Granted there is probably some averaging out done, but if it's done for one city, it's done for the others.

Smell of bland wizardry? You just need to develop a keen eye to maps and statistics.

Quote:
Montreal's not a 360-degree town. There are obligatory bridges to overcome as well as some rocky hill more often necessitating skirting
I'd have to say no. Montreal is a fairly 360-degree town. Obviously there's the park in the middle, but we like our park and wouldn't want it any other way. The west is unobstructed, the east is unobstructed, the north has multiple bridges to Laval, and the south, well, has fewer links, but small detours asside, there is coherent transportational links between north and south.

Quote:
all while the northern suburban communities amount to where most growth's taking place in and around the island here as opposed to being uniformly all about it.....
No. Population and dwelling counts show increases across the board, except in some isolated areas. Granted, like you say, growth is mostly in some of the outlying subburbs, but again, don't be fooled by maps. An area with a population of 10 that shows a growth of 1000 inhabitants will post a 100 fold increase! However, in the city, the population change might be +50,000, but this is reflected by a meager 1% change.