daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM   #41
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
If Montreal is about density why does the population keep getting smaller? I guess those who are left keep huddling closer together for warmth!
are you here to stir up shit? if you took 2 minutes of your time to search this nonesense it would have been fairly obvious.

Montreal has never been this populated, never been this rich and prosperous. All the nonesense they tell you is National Post and GLobe and Mail propaganda.
« Montréal n'est pas une belle ville. Ce sont les gens et les lieux qui sont beaux. »
malek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:01 AM   #42
malek
www.mtlurb.com

cataclaw: don't bother man, this guy never made any sense to me. let him be.
« Montréal n'est pas une belle ville. Ce sont les gens et les lieux qui sont beaux. »
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #43
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Yes, there are more people in Montreal than there were before. But Montreal is growing more slowly than the Canadian average and is shrinking in relation to other Canadian cities. When I was growing up in the 1960s, Montreal was clearly Canada's most populous city and considerably larger than Toronto. By the time of the 1976 census, Toronto had surpassed Montreal. According to the 2006 census, the population of the City of Montreal was 1.62 million and the population of the City of Toronto was 2.50 million (Source: Statistics Canada).
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #44
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

The population might be growing slowly, but it is not decreasing like you mentioned before!
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #45
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Plus he's comparing apples and oranges, Toronto before amalgamation was way smaller than Montreal. Whats the point of comparing city vs city, when the whole aglomeration is where things really matter.

Toronto was way bigger than Montreal way before the 60s and 70s, its just an urban myth that angryphones flaunt around because they lost control in Montreal for being squareheads and not wanting to adapt to the French reality.
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #46
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

I guess you think that Statistics Canada is an angry anglophone myth as well.
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #47
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

Malek, its a rare sight to see a real "pepper" writing in english, how could you lower yourself, man? Your hero Pauline is going to send you to the language police gulag!! Maybe us english Quebeckers should all get fleur-de-lys tattoos on our asses and recite "L'Histoire du Quebec au Canada" the government-mandated propaganda 9th grade history book. Would that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?? Better yet, if we could all hermit in the west island and ignore the economic decimation of Quebec, wrought on by petty and ignorant french-nationalistic delusions. Why not all become leather pant wearing squeegy-kids, grow mullets and practice bad dental hygiene, go around town spray-painting "Oui!!" and "Vive le Quebec Libre!!" on our crumbling concrete overpasses and call it urban art, or wipe windows for 1$ a piece, smoke the ganga and dream up new words like angryphones and tete-carre for those evil rich english-speakers up on the mountain. Stop me when something sounds familiar...
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #48
malek
www.mtlurb.com

you're funny man, keep the stereotypes going, it only show us how frustrated and desesperate you are!
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #49
brainiac

Ok already. The french/english reality is much different in today's Montreal than it was in the 70's.
Let's just put all differences aside and get the hell back on topic!
brainiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #50
GridSky

Likes (Received): 6

It's a nice building and I have a feeling Montreal will see a resurgence of high-rise projects.

I also wish they would update the Hilton in Toronto, it looks a little drab...
GridSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #51
Coral Builder

I'm so desesperate! Will you save me Malek??
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #52
Gilbert

I'm sorry for my english. I'll try to tell exactly what I think, even if it sounds much better in french.

It's funny (and also pathetic) to read your posts...

It's special that we can't talk about a project in Montréal without an angry Torontonian starts to try to disparage or insult our city.

Maximalist, what you want to prove? What do you have against Montréal? Is your wife cheated on you with a montrealer?

Et là, c'est pas tout, t'as Coral (qui doit probablement comprendre le français) qui arrive de nul part et qui sort des merdes pas rapport. Si t'es si malheureux dans une province dont plus de la moitié de la population trouverait ton commentaire complètement déplacé et stupide, crisse, décrisse!
Gilbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #53
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
I'm so desesperate! Will you save me Malek??

well there's the 401 for starters, i can fill up your tank as a nice gesture from a maudit separatis'
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #54
Coral Builder

Gilbert, mais comment se sentent l'autre moitie de la population, qui vie tous les jours avec les conneris francophones au Quebec? Des betise comme la loi 101 et la police sur la publicite, le separatism et le racism generale en vers les immigres. En d'autres parts, pourquoi devrait-je sortir de ma province natale. Moi j'adore le Quebec, especialement Montreal. Le projet c'est fantastic, ce que je trouve stupid se sont les commentaires inflammatoires de Malek sur l'emigration anglophone et cette espece d'idee stupide que c'est une grande conspiracy anglophone que le Quebec et une province pouvre. Je m'excuse de l'offense, mais moi je suis la pour rester, et j'ai pas intention d'aller nul part pour faire plaire a un packet de con qui ne connaisse non seulement pas leur propre histoire, mais ils essaient de faire sentir mal au autres groupes sociaux, incluyent les immigres, pour leurs propre gaffes economique/politique. Et la verite ces que Montreal et tres pauvres compare a la grandes majorite des metropole Canadiennes, meme avec les subvention federale depuis des annees. Le development de Montreal aurait pus etre beaucoup meilleurs sans la politique nationaliste francophone. Ces sa le probleme.
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #55
Catac1aw

You guys are silly.

Montreal is growing, we know this. Other Canadian cities are growing too, some faster than Montreal, we know this as well. What is the point exactly?

The fact is, Montreal is a great city, one of considerable density, and one that is experiencing some good times.

C'est quoi leur esti d'problème? C'est comme si les gens de Toronto sur ce forum ne veulent *pas* voir notre ville prospérer.

Quote:
Le development [sic] de Montreal aurait pus [sic] etre beaucoup meilleurs [sic] sans la politique nationaliste francophone. Ces [sic] sa [sic] le probleme.
Even sovereignists acknowledge that their movement has had negative repercussions on the economy and Montreal, even Malek agrees with that. However the movement won't go away anytime soon and complaining won't accomplish much.

Let's stick to the building for fark's sake.
Catac1aw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #56
ChrisDVD

Likes (Received): 105

Right now at school i'm doing a essay for english about 'french-english canadians separating from each other' .... really interesting topic. lol. Alot of what i read in 'Two solitudes' and 'return of the sphynx' is being repeated in the forum... so perhaps things hasn't change alot.
ChrisDVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #57
Gilbert

Quote:
Gilbert, mais ...
Non mais le Québec c'est quoi pour toi? Une province peuplée de pauvres francophones qui prennent juste plus de temps à assimiler que prévu?

Le français, pour toi, ça doit juste se parler en France? Tu te fous de sa préservation?(probablement que oui)

Et puis de qui est-ce que tu parles quand tu dit «packet de con»? Moi et les francophones du Québec? Et tu oses dire que l'on ne connait pas notre histoire...est-ce que pour toi, l'histoire du Québec commence après la conquète? Inquiète-toi pas, on connait notre histoire, et il semblerait qu'elle nous tienne plus a coeur qu'a toi.

Honnêtement là, entre-nous, avoue-le, tu es la réincarnation de Durham hein!
J'aurais bien dit que tu étais Justin Trudeau, mais même lui n'est pas extrémiste comme toi.
Gilbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #58
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Quote:
Gilbert, mais comment se sentent l'autre moitie de la population, qui vie tous les jours avec les conneris francophones au Quebec? Des betise comme la loi 101 et la police sur la publicite, le separatism et le racism generale en vers les immigres. En d'autres parts, pourquoi devrait-je sortir de ma province natale. Moi j'adore le Quebec, especialement Montreal. Le projet c'est fantastic, ce que je trouve stupid se sont les commentaires inflammatoires de Malek sur l'emigration anglophone et cette espece d'idee stupide que c'est une grande conspiracy anglophone que le Quebec et une province pouvre. Je m'excuse de l'offense, mais moi je suis la pour rester, et j'ai pas intention d'aller nul part pour faire plaire a un packet de con qui ne connaisse non seulement pas leur propre histoire, mais ils essaient de faire sentir mal au autres groupes sociaux, incluyent les immigres, pour leurs propre gaffes economique/politique. Et la verite ces que Montreal et tres pauvres compare a la grandes majorite des metropole Canadiennes, meme avec les subvention federale depuis des annees. Le development de Montreal aurait pus etre beaucoup meilleurs sans la politique nationaliste francophone. Ces sa le probleme.

attends un peu là, t'essais de te reprendre avec toutes les conneries que tu as dit plus haut? Tu nous prends pour des caves?

Regarde, je ne suis ni un "pepper", je suis un immigrant de première génération, je n'ai jamais eu de problèmes de racisme, je n'ai jamais eu de problèmes avec la langue française ni anglaise. J'ai un bon boulot, ma femme aussi, on est très bien ici. On est tanné du débat et on veut que ça finisse, et ça passe par la séparation et non une meilleur fédération (ça fait déjà 140 ans qu'elle "s'améliore")... et ça changera rien cette fédération. La grande majorité des Québécois, même anglophones sont nationalistes et veulent une plus grande autonomie pour le Québec, que ce soit par la voie d'une nouvelle constitution ou bien la séparation pure et simple, même le parti "très fédéraliste" du PLQ est très nationaliste!

Par contre j'en ai marre des gens de ton espèce qui ne veulent rien savoir de cette réalité, qui vivent dans une bulle qui s'apelle le waste island et qui me servent en anglais quand je leur parle en français, pas parcequ'ils ne savent pas la parler, mais pour me faire chier. Ils crachent sur le Québec à la première occasion et nous disent en même qu'ils y tiennent vraiment, bullshit mon ami.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #59
Canuck514

Likes (Received): 18

Real fascinating and original discussion. This topic is what really ruins the incredible city of Montréal for me and so many other people I know...

Anyway -
I walk by this development everyday and it is really starting to take shape! I think it adds so much to the Sherbrooke streetwall. Along with the Strathcona Music Building at McGill and the fact they painted the formerly puke green Holiday Inn, this area of Sherbrooke is looking infinitely better than in the past.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #60
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2878

yeah, we should just focus on the project