search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South West

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Nixoderm
Expert

Likes (Received): 3

LAGOS (Nigeria) | Lagos Light rail (LURT)| Masterplan | U/C

LAGOS URBAN RAIL MASS TRANSIT (LRMT) SCHEME FROM IDDO TO IJOKO

The Light Rail Mass Transit scheme is a proposal to introduce a Light Rail Transit System within the existing Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) corridor from Iddo in Lagos State to Ijoko in Ogun State. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between LAMATA and NRC was signed in 2006, to grant access to the 100 ft of NRC right-of-way required for the construction of the LRMT line.

The scheme is approximately 35-kilometre in length with an estimated ridership of a minimum of 500,000 passengers per day. The following fourteen (14) station locations are proposed:

* Ijoko

* Mushin

* Agbado

* Jibowu

* Iju

* Yaba

* Agege

* Ebute Metta

* Ikeja

* Iddo

* Shogunle

* National Theatre

* Oshodi

* Apapa

On May 15, 2007, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, the former president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, officially performed the groundbreaking ceremony for the LRMT scheme.
Financing

The Lagos Mega City Development Authority is undertaking the LRMT scheme from Iddo to Ijoko as a priority project for implementation within the mega-city. The LRMT scheme is being financed by the Federal Government (45%), Lagos State Government (40%), and Ogun State Government (15%)

MILE 2 TO OJO/OKOKOMAIKO LAGOS URBAN RAIL NETWORK (LURN) “BLUE” SCHEME

The Mile 2 to Ojo/Okokomaiko scheme is a conceptualised innovative rail transit system for the Badagry Expressway in Lagos State. This scheme is planned for implementation in two stages. Stage 1 of this scheme, is a 16-kilometre east to west rail line between Ojo and Mile 2 with the following six (6) proposed train stations

* Ojo
* Okokomaiko
* LASU
* Trade Fair
* Festac
* Mile 2

A future extension of an additional 21-kilometre and four train stations terminating in Marina is also being considered for stage 2 of the scheme.
The benefits of the scheme include as follows:

* Re-establish and enhance the attractiveness of rail transport as an integral alternative mode of transport

* Help to alleviate the existing traffic problems currently associated with the Lagos metropolitan roadway network along the Badagry Expressway by providing additional passenger transport capacity.

* Achieve a travel time of 23 minutes during the busy peak traffic periods (between Mile 2 and Okokomaiko).

* Boost economic activities in an area of the state already renowned as the major commercial centre in the West African region.

* Create a reduction for the demand of approximately 13,000 Danfo vehicles along the corridor.

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Nixoderm
Expert

Likes (Received): 3

dOUBLE POST PLEASE DELETE THIS!! :p
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 837

(Please delete this message.)

Last edited by Jim856796; January 22nd, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 13770

nice trains

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #5
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 680

In April 2008, the Lagos State Government approved ₦ 70 billion for both the Agbado-Iddo-Marina Line and its construction, with an estimated completion date of 2011.
The initial line is proposed to run 35 kilometres (22 mi) between Iddo in the Lagos State to Ijoko in the Ogun State.[1] The proposed route is to run along a 100 feet (30 m) corridor within the existing Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) right-of-way. This became possible following the signing of a memorandum of understanding between LAMATA and NRC in 2006.
Financing for its development is proposed to come from the Nigerian Federal Government (45%), Lagos State Government (40%), and Ogun State Government (15%).
Its official groundbreaking occurred on May 15, 2007, with former former President of Nigeria Olusegun Obasanjo in attendance.

Nigeria Requires $3 Billion for Light Rail System

The acting Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Mr Jetson Nwankwo, Sunday said that US$3 billion would be required for the construction of a light rail system to improve the traffic situation in Lagos State.

Nwankwo told journalists in Lagos that the project might be financed either by the World Bank or the African Development Bank (AfDB) in collaboration with the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Lagos State government.

He said that it could cost between US$3 million and US$6 million to construct a kilometer of modern rail depending on the terrain.

He, however, said there was nothing wrong in sacrificing such an amount for a state like Lagos, considering its role in the Nigerian economy.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Kwame
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea

Likes (Received): 29

this is really great, a city the size of Lagos is long overdue for mass transit. i can't wait to hear more about this.

There is no place like Afrika.

SSC Afrika: Algeria ¤ Angola ¤ Egypt ¤ Ethiopia ¤ Kenya ¤ Morocco ¤ Nigeria ¤ South Africa ¤ Sudan ¤ Tunisia
Kwame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM   #7
Joebond

Likes (Received): 1

ditto !
Joebond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #8
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 12

i wish a subway would be built to. plus more rail lines
qymekkam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:56 AM   #9
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 667

Be prepared to be stuffed into a tuna can. From what i've seen from the BRT, the LRT will be 5 time worse. Almost like tokyo.

GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM   #10
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 13770

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM   #11
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

that is so funny. but if you know nigeria that probably would happen. they try to stuff 20people into a 12 seat danfo and the conductor still looks for more fares
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #12
friendsofthecity

That`s a good observation. It depends on the direction, the number of transports available and price when compared to other forms of transportation system in the city.
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #13
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
that is so funny. but if you know nigeria that probably would happen. they try to stuff 20people into a 12 seat danfo and the conductor still looks for more fares
I beg to differ with what you saying. We used to have the same scenario were 20 people will be loeaded in a 14 seater taxi but the eefeciency of the traffic laws got rid of the crap by taxi operators. Lagos will also come right if they make sure that visible policing is always present.
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #14
sammyjay77
PAN AFRICAN

You're right Pule, its about visible and disciplined Policing
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #15
mellowkat01

Likes (Received): 0

wow i never heard of this before

why isn't this mentioned on wikipedia (the main lagos page)

THAT'S GOOD

you guys are finally catching up with the rest of the world
mellowkat01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #16
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
I beg to differ with what you saying. We used to have the same scenario were 20 people will be loeaded in a 14 seater taxi but the eefeciency of the traffic laws got rid of the crap by taxi operators. Lagos will also come right if they make sure that visible policing is always present.
when did this law come into effect. i would only believe you if it was after january because that is when i went last.
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #17
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 123

It has been a couple of years since thye introduction of JMPD, were did you see that if I may ask. If you were here last you would have noticed new taxis with South African flags like the following.

These taxis have got safety belts for every passenger therefore limit the number of passengers and again even those old ones are now abiding by the law.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #18
friendsofthecity

I think he`s talking about Lagos, Pule.
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #19
sammyjay77
PAN AFRICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by qymekkam View Post
when did this law come into effect. i would only believe you if it was after january because that is when i went last.
Pule is talking about SA and not Lagos
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #20
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

oh i knew that.

Tags
lagos