daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Nolke
Registered duster

Likes (Received): 2763

SEVILLE | Projects & Construction

This is a compilation of which I consider are the most interesting projects concerning urbanism and architecture in this Spanish city (about 1,3 million inhabitants in the metro area), more known, that's true, for its historical heritage and its monumental character. However, the city, beyond that classical side and despite its problems, is still alive, as a contemporary small metropolis in Southern Europe. As a result of that, during the last years appeared several projects which are supposed to modernize its image.

* Puerto Triana project - An office and comercial area, including a 178 metres tall (40 floors) skyscraper. Designed by Cesar Pelli, it should be under construction right now, but the start of works has been delayed for several reasons. It'll have a singular location, close to the river and the historical centre, which is located in the opposite shore, and will be crowned by an illuminated garden on the top.

[IMG]http://i17.************/68ir4b8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i13.************/52z2ltz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i13.************/4yk3zms.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.************/53ft503.jpg[/IMG]

* More about skyscrapers, this one is projected for the southern edge of town, under the name of "Torre Sevilla". Will have a height about 110 metres and 30 stories. Designed by a local architect.

* Now the following projects are refered to developments within the core of the city centre. The most symbolic of them all may be Metropol Parasol, a work of the German architect Jürgen Mayer. Consists on the redevelopment of a central square in Seville's historical centre, including an underground area of exhibition for archeological remains, found during an excavation for a previous work executed there (and a metro station); a market for supplying the nearby neighborhoods; an elevated square, designed for the celebration of varied social events. Above all, six mushroom-shaped structures will provide shadow to the whole square and will serve as a walking space over the city, will contain a restaurant too. It's under construction, the end of works is expected for the next year.

Current situation of works:

Pictures by Enmekar

* New central library for Seville's University. Designed by Zaha Hadid. Approved, works to begin supposedly soon.

* I also find very interesting the projects for the redevelopment (basically transforming them into pedestrian precints) of several areas in the historic centre, under the intention of revitalizing them and improving their look. Given the importance of this sector for the city, I think it's a remarkable action.

Pictures from sevilla21.com

* Remodelation of Sevilla F.C. stadium, by Estudio Lamela.

* Some other projects:

-Richard Rogers' work for the headquarters of a major local company (Abengoa). According to Rogers' comments, it will be pretty similar to Chiswick Park in London. Two original sketches from Rogers' studio:

-About one year ago, was announced a masterplan to be designed by some "starchitects" in the eastern part of the city. Those architects are: Norman Foster, Arata Isozaki, Jean Nouvel and a local man, Vázquez Consuegra. We're still wating for the results. Today we just know that it will include housing, public services and some highrises, nothing else.

Thanks to the website sevilla21.com for all the information they provide and the pictures I took from there.

Last edited by Nolke; December 2nd, 2007 at 12:44 AM.
Nolke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Wow, the Metropol Parasol project is amazing. Very unique. I love it.
Alot is going on in what was once considered the "poor" area of Spain.
Great update Nolke on Sevilla.
Keep us updated.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:51 PM   #3
Nolke
Registered duster

Actually, and unfortunately, it's still the poor area of Spain.

By the way, just realized there's a projects and construction thread for Seville already, I wouldn't ever imagine it sorry for that.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM   #4
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

Intresting projects, for a city of its size!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Kikab
Kikab

Likes (Received): 390

I like the pedestrian precints for the down town, but what happens if you have a car and a garage in this zone.
Kikab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Nolke
Registered duster

Well, the restricted zone is not that large actually, and within that area several main streets are still allowed to traffic, as well as many other ones are only allowed for residents. Anyway it's hard to tuck a car into certain parts of the historical centre, so the people who live there just use nearby parking lots or wider avenues for parking their cars.
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #7
Nolke
Registered duster

Cesar Pelli presented officially his project for Seville recently and released new render images:

Old December 21st, 2007, 12:27 AM   #8
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

I saw a short report about the Metropol Parasol a few weeks ago on TV.
Although the project itself looks really interesting, I don't think it fits in this part of the city.

The other projects look very promising though, the new library is my favourite.

Btw isn't there a Metro planned or u/c in Sevilla? Do you have any infos about it?
lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Nolke
Registered duster

The first metro (light rail metro)* line is under construction right now and it's planned to be in service for the end of 2008. The works of the rest of lines (see map below) are supossed to start at beginnings of 2009.

*And let's no turn this into another absurd discussion about if that can be considered metro or no, some of the people reading this will surely know what I mean.

For further information in English read this: http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/sev/sevilla.htm
for images and information in Spanish this site is highly recommendable: http://www.sevilla21.com/transporte/...leria.php?id=1
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #10
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Thanks for the info.
I guess on this picture we can see the T1 tram?

Will the metro share tracks with T1 between Puerta de Jerez and San Bernado?
lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #11
Nolke
Registered duster

That's the T1 line, indeed. But it won't share tracks with metro L1, even if their routes are the same, metro goes underground while tramway does on street-level.
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #12
ikari

Likes (Received): 10

Wooow Metropol Parasol and Zaha Hadid building are amazing!! *__*
Congratulations Sevilla!! ^_^

I love Sevilla and with these new building I will love it more

Bye ^_^
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #13
mbuildings
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69