daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #1
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

MILWAUKEE | Domus | Pro

This is a condo project for the Third Ward area. I've decided to start a new thread because of the updated renderings by Mandel Group. We're waiting on sales figures to confirm the status.

Mandel Group
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2
thequon

Likes (Received): 0

DOMUS

Thanks for posting this. This looks like a really cool project. When I drive into Milwaukee, the amount of cranes I see is amazing. While the Park East area has yet to really take off, the Riverwalk area and the 3rd Ward continue to amaze me.

The only potential problem is see with all this high end development is potentially pushing out hard working families, who despite their lower income levels, do spend more locally than empty nesters and Chicagoans looking for a weekend getaway.

I really like the design of the Catalyst. The size and the scope of the development could do for Milwaukee what Block E did for Minneapolis.
thequon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #3
NeuBrew

Likes (Received): 0

Maybe I'm crazy, but that is starting to really have a Milwaukee look to it. It's a very common, yet nice and clean, style we've been seeing. I really enjoy it.

I'm also glad they will be cleaning the river as part of this proposal.
NeuBrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #4
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequon View Post
Thanks for posting this. This looks like a really cool project. When I drive into Milwaukee, the amount of cranes I see is amazing. While the Park East area has yet to really take off, the Riverwalk area and the 3rd Ward continue to amaze me.

The only potential problem is see with all this high end development is potentially pushing out hard working families, who despite their lower income levels, do spend more locally than empty nesters and Chicagoans looking for a weekend getaway.

I really like the design of the Catalyst. The size and the scope of the development could do for Milwaukee what Block E did for Minneapolis.
I don't think further developing downtown will push anyone out. If anything, it is bringing people into the area and increasing people's desire to be nearby.
Jesse276 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #5
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

I think he was talking about people being priced out of the downtown area.. not leaving because they don't like the development
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #6
Jesse276

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
I think he was talking about people being priced out of the downtown area.. not leaving because they don't like the development
Yeah I understood, I don't think that new development is pushing people out. The development may be creating a place that is very desirable and therefore everyone cannot afford, but it's not really pushing anyone out.
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #7
D-res
BANNED

There are a pretty solid handful of lower to middle income proposals around the city. I don't expect a lot of lower income residents live downtown unless they've lived there for a good period of time. Every development that's included residential in the past decade downtown minus one or two projects (and projects including apartments) has been residences costing 100,000k or more. Nevertheless, this is a good project for the area and will help with infill along the river, not to mention helping the supposed population increase in the city. I especially like the idea of cleaning the river
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Paule

Likes (Received): 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuBrew View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but that is starting to really have a Milwaukee look to it. It's a very common, yet nice and clean, style we've been seeing. I really enjoy it.
I agree 100% Milwaukee has it's own unique look to it with these new designs.

Several of those condos in the 3rd and 5th wards, specially on the river, are wharehouses converted into these very cool designs. I think it's great that the developers, when designing new buildings from scratch, are incorporating similar features from the older buildings yet keeping their buildings looking fresh and original. I give this design an A+!
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Paule

No word on this yet?
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:47 AM   #10
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
No word on this yet?
It has been put on hold while Mandel develops the North End
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
It has been put on hold while Mandel develops the North End
It then sounds as if this project wont happen. How is the Nothend coming along? Is there even a thread for the Northend?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM   #12
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

The North End is being covered in the Park East thread.

Domus will definitely happen, as the Marine Terminal next door was a success. It's just a matter of time.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Yea and last time spoke with someone at Domus they had almost reached the number of units sold to break ground so this one will go up...

Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
My Flickr Photos
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:03 AM   #14
Jesse276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
It then sounds as if this project wont happen. How is the Nothend coming along? Is there even a thread for the Northend?
I work across from the site and they have been working through the winter on preparing the site for construction. They are driving piles there right now too.

This project is far from dead.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM   #15
Twoaday

Jesse,
You are referring to the North End driving piles right? I haven't been by Domus in awhile but hadn't seen any action there yet.

My Flickr Photos
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #16
Jesse276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Jesse,
You are referring to the North End driving piles right? I haven't been by Domus in awhile but hadn't seen any action there yet.
Correct, the north end. I thought about it after I posted but thought I'd just leave it.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #17
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Unless the prices on Domus are unreasonable high, I don't see why it wouldn't get built. We've got a lot of larger projects, without riverfront locations, that are hitting their necessary sales targets.
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #18
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
I work across from the site and they have been working through the winter on preparing the site for construction. They are driving piles there right now too.

This project is far from dead.
So, what do you see happening now?
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #19
Twoaday

Paule> To be clear I believe Jesse was talking about the North End which is very visible going up right now. As far as Domus it is still not in the ground but I'll say I feel confident this one will get built as like I said previous they had a good number of the units sold sometime back.

My Flickr Photos
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #20
Paule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Paule> To be clear I believe Jesse was talking about the North End which is very visible going up right now. As far as Domus it is still not in the ground but I'll say I feel confident this one will get built as like I said previous they had a good number of the units sold sometime back.
Yeah thanks, I know that there seemed to be a confusion as to what project we were talking about, just wanted a clarification.

This project has such a "new Milwaukee" look to it I would hate for it to be shelved