daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #41
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

In the Netherlands the 'biggest' cities without a motorway connection nearby are
Alphen a/d Rijn (65.000 inh.) nearest is A12 (10km)
Den Helder (58.000 inh.) nearest is A7 (24km)
Zutphen (46.000 inh.) nearest is A348 (14km)

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #42
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

Manila, Philippines

it only has two real motorway-standard controlled-access expressways, none of which go anywhere near the CDBs

but it does have an extensive system of partially controlled-access expressways, but it's transport system is still very much lacking.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=k&z=14&om=1
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #43
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
no one here sees highway 7 or highway 10 or highway 5 as express routes...which may be seen as expressways to some...

Anyways I remember in Sydney i got on a motorway and I was like go fast to my cousin and.....

then there was a traffic light!!!

I was like what kind of highway is this???
Highway 7 is often a much faster route that other parallel arteries. On the other hand, the Gardiner Expressway is a motorway (or freeway/highway in our North American language), not an expressway.
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #44
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale26 View Post
Toronto has some of the biggest Highways / Interchanges in the world
The suburbs have lots of highways, including the widest stretch of highway on the planet, but the core has very few highways through it. Instead, we have focused on commuter and rapid transit into the city, and have our streetcar system through mixed traffic which also discourages driving downtown.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #45
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
London Road Map

I've been staring at this map for ages trying to find my bearings and its only just occured to me that you've accidentally posted a mirror image of the London street map, look the M4 appears to enter the city from the East on here! thought I was losing my mind for a second!

When I was in Toronto in 2002 I was amazed at the size of the highways around the edge of the city but they all seemed to be in really really suburban areas with absolutely loads of space everywhere do you have any running through the ctual core of the city? because London had the M25 but I wouldnt consider that to be an Urban motorway
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #46
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Capitol of Poland, Warsaw (about 1.7m inhabitians) do not have any connection with a motorway Motorway A2 is away from Warsaw about 130 km I'm talking about a MOTORWAY, not an expressway or freeway
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #47
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoW View Post
Capitol of Poland, Warsaw (about 1.7m inhabitians) do not have any connection with a motorway Motorway A2 is away from Warsaw about 130 km I'm talking about a MOTORWAY, not an expressway or freeway
Freeway is basically the North American term for motorway
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #48
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10403

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I've noticed in road atlases that Winnipeg has no expressways or limited-access highways at all. Can anyone confirm this? Vancouver also doesn't have expressways in the center of town, but there are expressways outside of the city.
Yeah, I believe that Winnipeg is possibly the largest NA metro without freeways. However, looking at Google Earth, it does have some kind of beltway that has some interchanges, including some cloverleafs.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #49
TheCat

Highway 101? From what I gather by looking at the satellite pictures, it seems that the second carriageway of this road was not complete, and parts of it were still under construction when the pictures were taken, although I may be wrong.

For example, take a look at this section:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...&t=h&z=18&om=1

In fact, it is interesting, does anyone have any information or photos related to this highway?

The lower portion of the ring, which is also the Trans-Canada (Highway 100) is completely dual-carriageway, but it seems that it's not a complete motorway either, because it has at-grade intersections, e.g. at this location:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...0042&z=17&om=1
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #50
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Freeway vs Expressway

In the U.S., sometimes they can be used interchangeably. For example, most of the Interstates that run in around Chicago are known locally as "expressways". New York is similar. However, very few use the term "expressway" in say, Los Angeles. Also, in the US, a state highway can be described as either a freeway or expressway.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #51
FrankD
Mi Bogota del alma

Likes (Received): 0

Bogota, Colombia about 7 million people and virtually no expressways, the city is completely oriented towards mass transport systems, it implemented one; if not the most successful BRT system in the world and it also has the largest network of bicycle-only roads. Keep in mind that the bicycle lanes are completely segregated from the main roads to protect the cyclists.

check out a few pics of the city at this link:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=509246
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM   #52
ames
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

london has less motorways.
ames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM   #53
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1810

For being a developed country and having so many automobiles third per-capita in the World,Puerto Rico's San Juan Metro Region has few freeways.
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:48 AM   #54
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumisu View Post
Dublin has hardly any motorways. basically a ring-road outside the main city, but nothing downtown. Driving is horrible.
True but motorways are being built at quite a rate here. Ireland was poor only 15 years ago. Take a look at any map and note the amount of blue and white lines. Also the Port Tunnel is a motorway and takes you practically to the city center. Pricey though! The ring road (M50) is having spagetthi junctions retro fitted (cause they screwed up the first time) and some extra lanes added also plans for an Eastern Bypass are progressing. So not all bad

http://www.m50.ie/images/n7_final-large.jpg

http://www.m50.ie/pages/n4-after.htm

Two examples - not spectacular but efficient.

This one will be quite good to drive through though

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/galler...287&fullsize=1 Canal and railway too.

Last edited by odlum833; January 1st, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM   #55
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Vancouverr has no freeways within the city which has about 600,000.
The closet freeway to downtown Vancouver 3 km away and its only a standard 4 lane highway.

Winnipeg also has no urban freeway and my home town of London On has only the 401, 402, and Weinge Exp but none come anywhere near the downtown. Unless leaving the city they are useless for Londoner's in their daily trips.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:22 AM   #56
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Vancouverr has no freeways within the city which has about 600,000.
The closet freeway to downtown Vancouver 3 km away and its only a standard 4 lane highway.

Quite right. And there is no real freeway system in the wider metro area of over 2 million people. There are just unconnected elements, Hwy 1 to the east and Hwys 99 and 91 to the south.

To some Vancouverites this absence of freeways is a mark of pride. In reality, it's a function of the fact that in Canada there was no federal funding for freeway building as in the US, except for the Trans-Canada, plust the fact that the Vancouver City Charter Act puts the responsibility for highways onto the City within the City boundaries. That meant that the city's home owners would have had to pay for freeways through their yearly property taxes, and in the 1960s they simply said "No", because they did not want to bear the cost of building expensive freeways which would primarily benefit suburban commuters. The BC Govt has been reluctant to spend on a general freeway network without local cooperation, and without cooperation from the key municipality of Vancouver, that wasn't really there.

So bit by bit the decision has been made to do nothing. And then the urban myth-makers and local boosters decided to make a virtue of necessity by proclaiming this to be a clever approach to modern city planning. See former Councillor Gordon Price's "Pricetags" blog for numerous examples of this propaganda.
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #57
KaneD

Likes (Received): 324

I don't think there is a real universal distinction between motorways, expressways, freeways. It all depends on 1) Where you are and 2) What the commonly used local term is.

Take New Zealand for example... A motorway is "any road that is designated a controlled access road" - This is any road that has "no crossing traffic paths, open to registered motorised vehicles, prohibited stopping unless for emergency, no advertising on road corridor itself, no access to private properties". Here in Christchurch (pop 300,000 in city, 400,000 greater), we have exactly about 6 km of two-lane motorway, yes, thats right, one lane in each direction. (Future land is designated for widening to a more conventional motorway). We only have 8km of true divided motorway - and that probably falls well short of the UK standards. It is built roughly to a rural 4-lane section of US Interstate standard.

An expressway, is any other road that is of controlled access standards, but it permits pedestrians and cyclists, and may have the occasional property access and occasional at-grade (eg: lights, left-in-left-out-only, roundabout) intersection built to a high standard.

In Australia, Freeway is used commonly to refer to a highway built to controlled access standards, and is FREE to drive on, where as a Motorway is often used to refer to a Tolled highway. This makes the definition of the term freeway misleading... It has nothing really to do with the fact it is free to drive on, more free refers to 'free-flowing' movement (though if any of you have driven on some of Australia's freeways, then free flowing probably isn't the right term to use either). Interestingly, this rule generally applies in New South Wales and Victoria, but not to Queensland where ALL controlled access highways are termed Motorways.

An oddity north of Brisbane, Queensland is that the main highway north of Brisbane that runs to the top of Australia is the Bruce Highway. It is legally designated as a motorway for about 40km, then for the next 80km, it is just an ordinary highway without legal motorway designation. This is in spite of it being built to motorway standards (4 lane, grade separated junctions, no stopping etc). But the really odd thing is that a 30km section of this 'non-motorway-but-looks-like-one' road is paralleled by another route (about 10km east) that IS legally termed a motorway, but has roundabouts, and is only one lane each way.

In Shanghai, China. Urban Motorways are called Expressways. In Japan, controlled access roads are Expressways.

In the USA you would probably wouldn't ever use the term Motorway, rather, you'd use Freeway if the road was an urban motorway, and probably just Interstate if it was a rural one. If it was a rural highway with motorway like characteristics but wasn't designated an interstate, then who knows what you'd call it?

In the UK, motorways must have wide hard safety shoulders on the left. In the occasional instance where there isn't a wide enough shoulder (say at an older narrow bridge) then the fact is heavily signed accordingly. Some roads such as the M40 continue on into London as the A40, and much of it looks and feels just like a real motorway, but doesn't have a wide enough shoulder so it therefore does not qualify.

And while the simple removal or inadequate hard shoulder remove a road from having a motorway designation in the UK, in Italy, most motorways (Autostrade) don't have shoulders making life for you somewhat more interesting if you get a flat tyre on one.
KaneD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #58
dhlennon

Likes (Received): 0

Building big roads into the centre of a city makes no sense anymore. Where do they all go when they get there. Long distance routes and ringroads do though definately.
dhlennon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #59
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I've noticed cities like London that don't have a freeway network going through the city, they make up for it by having a superior public transportation system. I was highly impressed with London's underground and DLR system. Very clean and efficient.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #60
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Not like in US, concrete rivers in cities
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote