daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #61
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Vancouverr has no freeways within the city which has about 600,000.
The closet freeway to downtown Vancouver 3 km away and its only a standard 4 lane highway.
Yeah, but the difference to European cities is, that Vancouver has an extensive grid street network, which allows traffic to spread on many multi-lane roads. In the Netherlands, most urban roads exist out of one lane roads which serve an entire neighborhood. So all traffic packs on that single one lane road.

Even in Amsterdam, there aren't many 4 lane roads besides the motorway ringroad. And even if there is space, they think making a 2 way bus road with a bus every now and then is more efficient than 4 lanes for the other traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #62
Dion

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
no one here sees highway 7 or highway 10 or highway 5 as express routes...which may be seen as expressways to some...

Anyways I remember in Sydney i got on a motorway and I was like go fast to my cousin and.....

then there was a traffic light!!!

I was like what kind of highway is this???
Sounds like you were on one of those really short motorway standard roads that there are quite a few of in Sydney (eg James Ruse Drive, Gladesville bridge, Syd Einfeld Drive a.k.a Bondi Junction Bypass or the Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation.). Some of these were originally meant to be part of the motorway/freeway network, but the links between them eventually got cancelled.
Dion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #63
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yeah, but the difference to European cities is, that Vancouver has an extensive grid street network, which allows traffic to spread on many multi-lane roads.
Most of Vancouver's city streets are just two lane local roads, serving residential neigborhoods. Only a very few are four or six lane roads.
In the absence of any highways or freeways in the city, these major local streets (Hastings, Oak, Granville, ...) are pressed into service for longer distance travel, and the 50km speed limit is totally disregarded as traffic goes 60 to 70 kmh on average. The principal connection from downtown to the Trans-Canada Hwy is Grandview Hwy and East 12th Avenue. Most of East 12th Ave is a narrow four lane street, but with parking permitted except during rush hours with the result that there are only two thru lanes. All along East 12th there are residences, single family dwellings, and many homeowners have done extensive renovations and restorations, assured by the City that their street is not a highway and will never be widened.
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #64
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

However it is rather surprising how fast people will go on urban 4-lane road.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #65
Sphynx

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yeah, but the difference to European cities is, that Vancouver has an extensive grid street network, which allows traffic to spread on many multi-lane roads.
Very true, and remember that Vancouver only represents around ~26 percent of the Metro Vancouver population. The Metro Vancouver region currently has 4 freeways (99, 91, 1, Knight) while the Golden Ears freeway/expressway is currently being built.

The Mary Hill Bypass, a portion of Lougheed Highway, and the 17 will be upgraded to freeways and the Serpentine freeway and Southern freeway corridors will be built in the longer term.

It's getting there.
Sphynx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #66
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Shiraz has a few urban expressway in Iran. Tehran has a lot of Expressways. Mashhad, Esfahan and Tabriz too. But Shiraz doesnt' have enough urban expressways.
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #67
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

I believe London, Ontario is the largest city in North America that does not have a freeway to serve local traffic.

The city has nearly 400,000 in the, with just under 500,000 total in the metro area.

Here's a pic of the city from Google Maps. Note Highway 401 and 402 to the south which bypass the city.

Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #68
iMiros

Likes (Received): 1

- Winner is Bangui, capital of Central African Republic. The city with 600,000 residents does not have even a meter of 4 lane roads or streets.

- Capital of Malawi, has about 900,000 inhabitants, and only 1 km of 4 lane street (Chilambula street).

African capitals generally have very poor road infrastructure. With the exception of these two extreme examples, capitals like the Luanda, Kigali, Kampala or Mogadishu hardly to have more than 5 kilometers of 4 lane roads.
iMiros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #69
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Actually Luanda has a 55 km ring road that seems to be built to expressway standards. It's called the "via expressa".
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #70
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

London (UK) must win this one hands down.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #71
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

The Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater Metro of about 3 million lacks motorways.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #72
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
The Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater Metro of about 3 million lacks motorways.
?
I-4, I-75, I-275....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #73
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Still, it's not very much, only I-275 really serves the urban area. Large portions of the St. Petersburg peninsula do not have any nearby freeways.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #74
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
London (UK) must win this one hands down.
Back in the day London was supposed to have 4 motorway ringroads and many more radial motorways. Most of it was dropped though and the plan was only partially built. It's a pity really; a city of 8.5million relying on a street plan from the Medieval period.

See CBRD's very comprehensive history of the 'Ringways' plan for more information.
jandeczentar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #75
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeczentar View Post
Back in the day London was supposed to have 4 motorway ringroads and many more radial motorways. Most of it was dropped though and the plan was only partially built. It's a pity really; a city of 8.5million relying on a street plan from the Medieval period.

See CBRD's very comprehensive history of the 'Ringways' plan for more information.
I shudder to think of the destruction that would have been inflicted on central London had the Ringways plan been implemented in its entirety. I agree that certain aspects of it would have been helpful (such as the building of the South Circular to grade separated standards and the extension of the M23 through South London to meet this), but I'm very glad that the more central rings were not completed.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #76
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Still, it's not very much, only I-275 really serves the urban area. Large portions of the St. Petersburg peninsula do not have any nearby freeways.
Exactly for a county of about 1 million people we have I-275 which goes through a small part of the county and we have a butchered section of freeway on US19. We have no East-West freeways so traveling East-West is very inconvenient.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #77
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6931

ALL THE MEXICAN CITIES!!!!!!
yes Mexico City have some motorways but just that, we have a lot of 500,000-.... cities and they dont have motorways inside their urban territory, just avenues with some bypasses.
manuelmonge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #78
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6931

well im thinking.... i prefer big avenues with trees in the middle than huge gray, stressing, first world,boring super highways
manuelmonge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #79
tbh444

Think Norwich deserves a mention (pop. 132k, 367k metro) as it is there is not even a dual carriageway that goes there from any direction, let alone a motorway. Doesn't seem to have done it any harm economically or culturally though as far as I can tell, very pleasant place to visit.
tbh444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #80
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

My home town of Kamloops, BC, Canada. The city only has one motorway (1/5/97) that only goes halfway through town on an east-west alignment (motorway comes in from the S.W. part of town). After the exit for the Yellowhead Hwy North, the motorway ends and becomes a regular 2x2 highway, which is divided after passing through the residential area of Valleyview. (A tunnel would eliminate all traffic lights in this section)

Hwy 5 is not a motorway north of Hwy 1/97, but an undivded 2x2 highway with a posted limit of 100km/h.

Kamloops' population is about 80,000, with an area population of just over 100.000
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote