daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

BUSAN by hkskyline - #5 Onwards to Gukje Market

Busan is quite a beautiful city with hills and sea settings, and the city spreads itself around the geography and it's impossible to see everything from one vantage point. Change is in the air. A huge building is coming up and I took the time to go to the site to see for myself .. not much yet though.

Too bad the weather wasn't so good. Next time I'm in Korea I might head back if the weather is good.

I walked north from the Lotte site towards the international ferry terminals, where there is regular service to Japan, which isn't so far actually. I believe the ride to Fukuoka is only about 2-3 hours. Fellow HK forumer InitialD18 suggested I should've gone for a day trip. Breakfast in Busan, ramen in Fukuoka for lunch, and dinner in Busan again.

While there are these tour buses that ply the city, I opted to do a bit of exploring on my own instead, although I did consult their itinerary to make sure I covered most of what they had.

Need directions? I'm at the bottom right quadrant.

I walked back inland and went to the Busan Modern History Museum, where I understood how deeply engrained the resentment towards the Japanese colonial rulers remained. The tone was very strong, at times overdone, but the Koreans have done a very good job educating their young on that part of history, amidst a wave of nationalism and whitewash attempts that have plagued Japan of late. I doubt the Japanese young are as aware of what happened in their parents' and grandparents' generations.

The exhibition also includes a lot of photos showing Busan of the past. What a change it has been.

Gukje Market is just around the corner from the museum. It's a huge web of many street markets that sell everything from clothes to metal pipes. The scale is very staggering, and Busan is a very lively city at the street level.

I didn't think KFC were in the street vendor business.

Being a foreigner with very little Korean language abilities, bargaining in this setting was a challenge. But in the end I did buy a few t-shirts.

There are a lot of food stalls along this particular street. It's interesting to watch, but I wasn't brave enough to try until a bit later in the day.

By the way, the seaweed rolls above are quite good.

This market is just way too big! More in the next part, or you can check out my website if you can't wait.

Part 4 - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=556061

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #2
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3611

Nice pix. the tour bus looks cool.