daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Quebec

Quebec Discussions in english and français

Old December 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #21
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
500 m is not exactly "a third of Mile": a Mile = 1609 m.
t'est sérieux là?

those using the imperial system usualy say a quarter, half, eigth, ... not 0.31 of a mile (= 500m).
« Montréal n'est pas une belle ville. Ce sont les gens et les lieux qui sont beaux. »
malek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 13th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #22
Rumors

Likes (Received): 833

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
AS a life long resident of La Belle Province, i can tell you that i use the metric system most of the time. But in some instances i revert back to the imperial system.

For example.

-I use the metric system when I'm talking about the speed I'm driving at or the distance i have to travel.(ie: I drove 250 Kilometers at an average speed of 130Km/h)
- I use Celcius to mention the temperature(it's 28 degrees outside), however i use the fahrenheit system when i want to know how warm the swimming pool is at(that's weird!?!)
- I measure my height in feet and inches(I'm 5'10" tall) and my weight is measured in pounds not kilo's.(i'm a fat bastard...i weigh 200 pounds! I have big bones!!)
- I use the Metric system for liquids (I drank a litre of milk today)
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #23
TooFar
moonage daydream

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
He was eyeballing that number. Personally, I would have said half a click over 500 m. A half a click is roughly a third of a mile.
No, half a click is 500 metres. 1 click = 1km.
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #24
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Habsfan, what about the fruits and vegetables: are they measured in kilogrammes or pounds in Québec? In BC, they were measured either in pounds or in dual units.
As far as I know from my experience in Canada, people ask either for Imperial or Metric weight, and sometimes they put both on the signs, but usually just the metric. I just go by whatever the signage says, as I could order either in kilograms or pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrad View Post
Many Europeans I know still use imperial measurements in everyday but for official purposes switch to metric. The only people I know that consistently use metric is the British.
Gerrad, you have completely confused me with this. You mean Europeans in Europe? They never use Imperial, and never have. And use of metric in Britain is anything but consistent. Recently Britain won a reprieve on the use of metric in many cases from the EU, as opposition is just too widespread. The only place I have seen Imperial used consistently is the USA, and they have a variation on the size of their gallon.

And finally I can think of one thing that is always measured in inches across North America, and in every English speaking country!

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Taller, Better; December 13th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
Taller, Better está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #25
malek
www.mtlurb.com

Likes (Received): 79

Prices for vegetables, fruits and meat are always shown in pound and Kg.
« Montréal n'est pas une belle ville. Ce sont les gens et les lieux qui sont beaux. »
malek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #26
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
why the laughter??

I am the exact same as him..in every way he mentioned!
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #27
Ashok

Likes (Received): 1074

I don’t think he is laughing at him! The post was explained well, in a funny way.

Last edited by Ashok; December 14th, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
Ashok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #28
Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
why the laughter??

I am the exact same as him..in every way he mentioned!
I was laughing at his post, not at him.
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #29
Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
I don’t think he is laughing at him! The post was explained well, in a funny way.
Exactly.
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #30
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'm pretty much the same as Habs, but I don't ever think in Fahrenheit anymore....If I had to I can remember what the high numbers are like (80F, 90F, 100F), but not the lower temps. I like to drink my beer in pubs in "Pints", not half litres, but everything else I drink in litres!

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #31
habsfan

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
I like to drink my beer in pubs in "Pints", not half litres, but everything else I drink in litres!
Same here!
habsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #32
salvius

Likes (Received): 11

I think that's like most people across Canada... Having immigrated from a European country, however, I do still measure my height and weight in centimeters and kilograms respectively. Everyone else pretty much finds that weird.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #33
big W

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I'm pretty much the same as Habs, but I don't ever think in Fahrenheit anymore....
Fahrenheit only comes into play when we deal with Americans otherwise it is always Celsius. Heck most people in Alberta my age don't even know where to begin on the Fahrenheit scale. Basically in Alberta its all metric except construction which is imperial (due to the US as most products etc are made in the USA or for that market). The government either provincial, municipal federal is all metric, so for example a property at land titles is measured in metric and all government buildings are built using metric vs imperial. Most people measure their own height or weight on imperial, but many know the metric numbers as well but neve use it in talk about their weight and height. For example I know I am 182 cms tall but say I am 6' tall. Those are the only instance where I think we use imperial. From my experience this is the same across the country.
big W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #34
niko.athens.greece
Niko Athens

Likes (Received): 0

Having read through the posts so far I would like to add that Canada has converted to the metric system but to be perfectly honest, it is what is called a Soft Conversion. In other words, Canada only changed how things are being labeled. a 12 oz can of coke is 355ml. A 16oz or 1 lb pack of butter is labeled 454 gr. and so on. The construction industry, the real estate industry [everything is in square feet and nails are sold in imperial size, agricultural products are in bushels and so on. Official height on driver licenses might be in metric but to be understood it is in feet in parenthesis or brackets. At the supermarket products are advertised in pounds so that people can feel their dollars worth and weighed in grams . Cooking is in degrees °F and recipes are in imperial and in metric. Basically, most Canadians that were schooled in the 1960s, 70s and 80s are imperial in the 60s, things being introduced in the 1970s and some daring introductions towards the middle to end of the 1970s. I remember 1977 when the signs were 30 mph and then dual to accommodate the 50 km/h. The supermarkets were next in the 80s with the revolution of how things would be measured and advertised. Basically it ended up somewhere in the middle. Officially weighed in kilos and understood in pounds. Summers were in °F for me when I was living in Canada even though I saw the big changeover to °c. Even with the change, the pool was set to have 80°F water and the depth was in feet and inches. The thermometers were with both °F and °c. In the mid 1980s, I remember an ad on the billboard of my parents' building with a slogan to get out of the 40° drizzle and go to the 80° sizzle of Mazatlan. No need of °F as no one needed it to understand that it was Fahrenheit. Having lived in the border city of Vancouver of course made it even harder for many metric fans to go fully metric as many a Canadian would be crisscrossing the border to buy gas at less than a dollar a gallon [yup! less than a buck], a gallon of milk or orange juice and under $2 a gallon and so on. If Canada wanted to go metric one hundred percent, they'd have changed all their machinery and bottle sizes and cans and nails and equipment and so on.Personally, I understand both, but as I was educated in Imperial I still tend to "understand and have a feel" for Imperial that is more dominant when I grasp something and get a feel at how much it weighs for example. Canada, like their rebellious sibling, Children of a Common Mother as the Peace Arch Monument states, has a history of two dominant European groups with two different weights and measures. It could have been unique and kept BOTH. And that would have been that. As for the 24 Hour clock, even here on the European continent, many commercials will advertise the time such as: ....tonight at 8 [but on screen you'll read 20:00] or daily at 9 [21:00]. People understand the 12 hour clock in Europe exactly the same as in North America. I have yet to hear someone advertise something and say tonight at 21:30....they will ALWAYS use the 12 hr. clock.
niko.athens.greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #35
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 525

Heh heh ... Wanna bet that any new, future overland railway would be laid out in miles just like all the rest of our railways, i.e., not in kilometres?

I suspect that military clock usage, mind you, be limited to Canadian French.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #36
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 76

Canada has been going through metrication for the past few decades. The laws were slowly put into effect in 1970 and it was a step by step process. The law though stipulates that Canada has two official weights and measures. Initially, lawmakers of the era put forth the changeover to the metric system, it went through a period of turbulence and the act had to be rewritten in the mid 1980s.

The amended act has set that customary units be used with the international system ; liters, hectares, tons/metric ton. In addition, Canadian or Imperial units such as miles, inches, gallons and acres may be used. The act also provides for usage of certain French units of measure in describing/measuring land in Quebec. These are the French Foot of 12.78 inches, perch for length/ area etc.
What this means is that one can use traditional imperial weights of measure but it must be accompanied by the metric equivalent. On the other hand, if you would like to advertise something in metric only, you don’t need to add the imperial measure.

Overall, Canadians used both when I lived there though the switchover to metric was referred to as a "soft conversion". This type of conversion means what happened was that a 12 oz can of coke was simply labeled as 355ml. On the other hand, if it were hard conversion, it would have been 250 or 300/350ml. For example here in Europe, there are 125ml, 250ml, 500ml and so on. Butter may be labeled 454g but we all know that it is a pound of butter and so on. This type of conversion needs a couple of generations to remove traditional weights and measures but seeing that the imperial measurement is also a part of Canadian culture and is versed in many phrases and expressions it will take quite some time to totally remove its use completely; and there is no reason to fully remove it. It is a measure system that was effective and there is no reason not to have dual systems. Anglo America and the UK could effectively use both to meet the needs for international transactions, exports etc. and retain the traditional Imperial Measure as well. There is nothing wrong with drinking a liter of coke on an 85° summer day or should I say a quart on a 30°c day ?

Last edited by nick.english.dept; March 18th, 2014 at 08:24 PM.
nick.english.dept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #37
Marco Polo

I am both Canadian and Australian and have this to say:

Canada uses the metric sytstem much more than the US, but still less than Europe. The conversion in Canada has been gradual, but the younger generation is much more metric than their parents. Though I do not live in Canada anymore, each time I visit, I see a slow drift towards metric. Funny enough, even in the US, the metric system is gaining ground (I often check packages in shops).

Australia has basically converted to the metric system 95% - courtesy of being far from a huge neighbour... ha ha. Only older folk use the Imperial Measures. All measures in shops etc. are metric and all building heights etc (even in coversations) are given in metres. Apts are in square metres. The only area where a dual system is in place is "how tall are you, how much do you weigh" - youngsters are more metric, but 20+ tend to be imperial, though they know both.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #38
Taller, Better
Administrator

In any case, in answer to the original question of this very, very old thread the usage of Metrification vs Imperial system is the same across Canada and no different in Quebec whether they are Franco or Anglo users. I don't think outsiders realise that the French settlers of Quebec landed here many hundreds of years ago, so there are no particular links to European Metric either in Quebec or anywhere else in Canada. Before the official change to Metric, Imperial was completely standard across the country and had been that way for a very long time.

For myself, if I am giving directions to an American I will use Miles; if I am giving directions to a European I will use Kilometres. No big deal. I can't remember Fahrenheit anymore.

Old March 24th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #39
Yellow Fever
I'm a mean son of a gun

Likes (Received): 14216

For height and weight, the size of the houses I prefer the imperial system but I use the metric when dealing with distance and C for the temperature.

Knocked me down and I got back up
And I got myself back in the race again
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #40
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'd agree with that!