daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami

Miami Includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties » Development News

Old April 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #3001
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Likes (Received): 5016

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach7795 View Post
spell, just tell me your not a Phillys Phan!...i hate the phillies!
I'm a Marlins fan first and foremost. Same with any of my hometown teams. That will never change.

As for the Phillies, I just can't work up a genuine hatred for them. It's a really classy, well-run organization and the ballpark is always sold out and a great atmosphere. I'd never root for them versus the Marlins (and have gone to games here proudly wearing Marlins gear) but I really wish the two teams were in different divisions so there was little conflict!

Don't really care much about the other teams here aside for a bit of a soft spot for the Sixers since they were my team for years before the Heat existed.

But no worries. I'm a loyal Miami boy.
spellbound no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3002
Endeavor305
Registered Fool

Likes (Received): 1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
Great pics, Endeavor. The game itself didn't follow the script but the ballpark looks terrific and glad you were there.

Showed those pics to folks at work last night on my phone (including to two fellow Miami transplants) and all were impressed.

If anyone is gonna be at that Cubs game on the 17th let me know!
I haven't posted my pics yet, but will sometime soon. I'm definitely going to one of the Cubs games. I will let you know when I know which one.
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #3003
Endeavor305
Registered Fool

Likes (Received): 1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
?Did people laugh at the home-run thing?
They haven't hit a home run yet, but an hour or so before the game they did run it. It was bad in my opinion. The best part is the loud cannon sound that goes off. The PA announcer even directed everyone's attention to it. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned by anyone here. Perhaps those of you here that were at the game weren't in your seats yet.
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #3004
fauowls44

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
?Did people laugh at the home-run thing?
Im pretty sure people are supposed to laugh at it. It supposed to be fun...there's too many people that take this too seriously. It was loud and colorful. I thought it was awesome when they set it off. Hopefully they'll be doing it a lot more often.

fauowls44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #3005
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

I agree it's all in fun and ultimately not a big deal. I guess for myself (and others) it's imagery that's just a bit too much of the cliched, 'touristy' view of Miami but certainly it's nothing I would go around being steamed about.

Hey, my all-time favorite home run feature was the Brewers having the guy in lederhosen who would go down a slide into a mug of beer so it's not like I'm exactly adverse to tacky cliches!

Agreed in hoping it gets used a lot. The Marlins bats have been anemic thus far---but obviously it's very early.
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #3006
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 13340

I copied this off Facebook. It is a Herald shot that was used in a San Francisco Chronicle article about the happenings here in Miami.

image hosted on flickr

tr-miami01_ph15_SFC0108584334 by QuantumX, on Flickr

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #3007
theEmbarcadero

Likes (Received): 2195

Quote:
I agree it's all in fun and ultimately not a big deal. I guess for myself (and others) it's imagery that's just a bit too much of the cliched, 'touristy' view of Miami but certainly it's nothing I would go around being steamed about.

Hey, my all-time favorite home run feature was the Brewers having the guy in lederhosen who would go down a slide into a mug of beer so it's not like I'm exactly adverse to tacky cliches!

Agreed in hoping it gets used a lot. The Marlins bats have been anemic thus far---but obviously it's very early.
Well said.....!!!!

And that liquid stuff that spews out at marlins stadium, is actually Materva---I heard!
theEmbarcadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #3008
Andyxox
Just another user

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauowls44 View Post
@ the people running for their lives behind the home run feature
Andyxox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3010
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Love the pics, love the image of people running in fear from the HR sculpture! Great work, gentlemen.

Now---about the food. I know it's all grotesquely overpriced (like ALL stadiums) but I'll be there on the 17th and am prepared to grossly overpay.

Did you eat there? Likes? Dislikes?

I'm thinking mahi tacos and plantain chips over 'Burger 305' but you tell me. I'd get a Cuban sandwich but know the version there probably isn't even close to better (cheaper) versions innumerable other places.

And how's the beer situation? Anything interesting? I'll gladly pay a buck or two more for real suds rather than dreck like Bud or Miller.

Endeavor--let me know if you're gonna be there on the 17th---or anyone else here. I'll buy a round.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3011
rmc523

Likes (Received): 0

Here's a link to a Photobucket album of mine with pictures from Opening Night (and other construction pictures) if you'd like to check it out:

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/s...ns%20Ballpark/

Here are a few hightlights:

Also, here's a couple videos I took.....

This first one (16 seconds) is of the crowd at the ballpark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkczP...S-jRLMCc-zoPU=

This second one of the entire roof opening process is somewhat long (11 minutes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugjZP...ASIpkhh1hQHfw=
rmc523 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3012
theEmbarcadero

Likes (Received): 2195

Quote:
Love the pics, love the image of people running in fear from the HR sculpture! Great work, gentlemen.

Now---about the food. I know it's all grotesquely overpriced (like ALL stadiums) but I'll be there on the 17th and am prepared to grossly overpay.

Did you eat there? Likes? Dislikes?

I'm thinking mahi tacos and plantain chips over 'Burger 305' but you tell me. I'd get a Cuban sandwich but know the version there probably isn't even close to better (cheaper) versions innumerable other places.

And how's the beer situation? Anything interesting? I'll gladly pay a buck or two more for real suds rather than dreck like Bud or Miller.

Endeavor--let me know if you're gonna be there on the 17th---or anyone else here. I'll buy a round.
Oddly enough, the best Cuban sandwich I have ever had was at Hard Rock cafe...in Bayside !!!!!
theEmbarcadero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #3013
CF221

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEmbarcadero View Post
Oddly enough, the best Cuban sandwich I have ever had was at Hard Rock cafe...in Bayside !!!!!
Ever tried Sarussi's?
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #3014
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEmbarcadero View Post
The best Cuban sandwiches (multiple times) were the ones I got at the old Latin American Cafeteria on Coral Way back in the day. The waitresses rocked, too, so did the cortaditos. SO good.

For a fuller meal, hard to go wrong with Islas Canarias. Always loved Puerto Sagua as well. And the 'Las Vegas' mini-chain, too. Their hole-in-the-wall in Hollywood was (maybe still is?) fantastic.

"Fancy" Cuban food is almost a contradiction in terms but honest to God the best I've had is actually here in Philly at 'Alma de Cuba.' WAY better than that Estefan tourist trap by the Arena or most of Douglas Rodriguez' efforts at it.

Here's a pic of the place. Deep in the Philly "ghetto" that others here so knowledgeably describe. Rough neighborhood, as you can tell:

Last edited by spellbound; April 8th, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3015
fauowls44

Likes (Received): 11

Saw this on another site. Awesome picture.

image hosted on flickr
fauowls44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #3016
patuko
厄瓜多爾

Likes (Received): 200

i miss miami
patuko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #3017
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

With the Marlins taking such a public relations beating lately, I do need to give them props on one little item---albeit not a huge thing.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was curious about the beer situation at the ballpark---specifically whether any of the taps were offering craft beers from any of the MANY amazing, smaller breweries around the country. Did a little research and it turns out the answer, alas, is no. Just the usual suspects like Bud, Presidente, etc. For us (admitted) beer snobs, this is like offering flavored water for 8 bucks a pop.

So anyway, I figured what the hell and sent an e-mail to the team inquiring why they weren't being a bit more ambitious with the beer menu and offering some (well researched) suggestions. After all, you can find the better stuff at a LOT of other ballparks these days, so why not us?

Didn't even expect a response but within a half hour their beverage director wrote back and said he agreed it's something they should do, and even asked for a few breweries. I mentioned Dogfish Head and Bell's as consistently outstanding (and interesting) breweries with national delivery capability, but there are many others as well. Wish there was a local option there but we really don't have a genuinely great one...yet. It'll come eventually, though, I'm sure.

Either way, not a huge deal like I said but I was impressed by the quick response and interest. Gotta look out for my fellow suds connosieurs.

Be there on Tuesday. Maybe I'll try to sneak in a bottle of Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #3018
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 4589

This showed up today on the Huffington Post

Great Beer Hits America's Baseball Stadiums
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3019
spellbound
Contents Under Pressure

Wow, that's just bizarre. Sounds like I wrote the damn article!
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3020
BornInTheGrove

Likes (Received): 585

I'd ask for some Holy Mackerel... but at 8.5%... i doubt they would want people already hammered before the end of the 1st
BornInTheGrove no está en línea   Reply With Quote