daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old December 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #241
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 518

The sunken lights at this plaza are blue and give a very nice effect. BTW, artwork installed at the actual streetcar terminus at Olive (glass cover with some neon tubes below) has been covered up with a sewer-like manhole cover. Unless someone knows about this, I'll try to find out.

Sponsored Links

Old December 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #242
sequoias

Likes (Received): 3

I didn't notice that one before....paved over with just concentre instead of something else. Where's the love?
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #243
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1070

It needs some TLC, but at least it's not an open sewer like it was before.

You would walk by that area in the summer and it would just reek of wino piss.
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #244
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
Don't worry, landscaping will all be added in later. The Westlake Hub plan will still take a few months.
If so, they should have wait then. That is waste of our tax money!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #245
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 537

What sort of insider information do you have? Or were you basing that on nothing?
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #246
CrazyAboutCities

I think it is waste of tax money to pave this plaza then demolish it to make way for landscaping. I think they should have wait until they're ready to start construction on planned plaza. I don't get it why anyone have to demolish something then put something on it then start over again in short time.
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #247
mhays
Journeyman

You might be right.

On the other hand, there are all sorts of reasons why it could be cheaper or better their way.... Maybe the demo exposed some conditions they needed to expose to complete design on the larger project. Or maybe that block isn't supposed to happen until 2011, since we really don't know the schedule aside from old projections. Maybe they plan to incorporate the current paving into to the final plaza. Maybe the safety issue was important enough to do now rather than wait.

You seem to be attacking people without knowing the situation.
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #248
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 358

It doesn't like they plan to do too much more with this little plaza. Looks like a large planter parallel to Westlake will be placed and that's about it. They've left the large trees and some planting strips. Look at the 2nd page of this:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...t_Westlake.pdf

Last edited by CityView Jim; December 9th, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #249
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I think it is waste of tax money to pave this plaza then demolish it to make way for landscaping. I think they should have wait until they're ready to start construction on planned plaza. I don't get it why anyone have to demolish something then put something on it then start over again in short time.
It's only cement, so it won't take much to break it up for landscaping. And sunken blue lights are nice in the meantime. You'll remember that before the demo it was the perpetual hangout place for what looked like homeless youth, who spent all day on the benches. I never went by at night, but even in the day, I avoided that plaza. I'd rather have what's there now--temporarily-than what it was like before.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #250
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
You might be right.

On the other hand, there are all sorts of reasons why it could be cheaper or better their way.... Maybe the demo exposed some conditions they needed to expose to complete design on the larger project. Or maybe that block isn't supposed to happen until 2011, since we really don't know the schedule aside from old projections. Maybe they plan to incorporate the current paving into to the final plaza. Maybe the safety issue was important enough to do now rather than wait.

You seem to be attacking people without knowing the situation.
I didn't mean to make it sounds like I "attack" people. I just expressed my frustration with some politicians that didn't think smart with the way they spend our tax money on some projects.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #251
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
It's only cement, so it won't take much to break it up for landscaping. And sunken blue lights are nice in the meantime. You'll remember that before the demo it was the perpetual hangout place for what looked like homeless youth, who spent all day on the benches. I never went by at night, but even in the day, I avoided that plaza. I'd rather have what's there now--temporarily-than what it was like before.
That's understandable. I avoided that plaza also for same reason. I won't be surprised if any homeless bums still sleeping there even it is just cement or new plaza when it get built.
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #252
mhays
Journeyman

It's concrete, not cement. Cement is a powder that is mixed with water and aggregate to form concrete.

As for those politicians, it would be better if you criticize them with some basis in knowledge rather than wild guesses.
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #253
Seasun

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
The sunken lights at this plaza are blue and give a very nice effect. BTW, artwork installed at the actual streetcar terminus at Olive (glass cover with some neon tubes below) has been covered up with a sewer-like manhole cover. Unless someone knows about this, I'll try to find out.
Explanation from seattle.gov:

Quote:
Comment from mj
Time December 8, 2009 at 12:45 pm

what happened to this? it stopped working, looked to be full of moisture, and now has a manhole cover over it…

Comment from Lori Patrick, Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs
Time December 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Unfortunately, heavy rains this fall flooded the artwork. We temporarily covered the piece to protect it until we can address the water issue and make the necessary repairs.
I gotta say - the old "heavy rains" reference seems a little lame. First of all this is Seattle - it rains quite a bit. Secondly, we're talking about a little tube buried only 4 to 6 feet deep. I'm not claiming all art or construction should be defect free but I think it's lame to imply that the designer didn't anticipate heavy rain.

I saw the manhole cover last night for the first time. Looks like a very special and expensive cover with the bolt pattern around the perimeter of the lid (and made in France). I spoke to an SDOT inspector several months ago about the neon artwork - it's several feet deep with a nice engraved surface flush with the sidewalk. The ring has mayor Nickels name on it so it kind of looked like a memorial or where his ashes could be interred (his body wouldn't fit! nor would mine for that matter!).

It is really hard to do interesting sidewalk art that is durable enough to handle normal wear and tear as well as intentional vandalism while also not being too slippery, confusing, electricity hungry, costly, etc. I do kind of like the paint jobs on the signal control boxes at many downtown (and Belltown?) intersections. So far I haven't seen them defaced.

Added: if you're interested - just found these videos of the installation - too long (I only watched a little bit) but gives a sense of how many people worked on this installation. I think 1% for art probably is getting closer to 1.5% for art in this case!

Last edited by Seasun; December 11th, 2009 at 12:53 PM.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #254
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
It's concrete, not cement. Cement is a powder that is mixed with water and aggregate to form concrete.

As for those politicians, it would be better if you criticize them with some basis in knowledge rather than wild guesses.
Really? You did same thing. You also criticized some people that you don't have basis in knowledge. I don't even care what you think of anyone and you have the rights to express your opinions against anyone that you're not fond of. I have the rights to express my opinions here with basic in knowledge or even wild guesses as well. I don't appreciate that you lecture me like that.
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #255
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 170

Old December 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #256
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Thanks BG, you almost knocked me off my chair
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #257
mhays
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Really? You did same thing. You also criticized some people that you don't have basis in knowledge. I don't even care what you think of anyone and you have the rights to express your opinions against anyone that you're not fond of. I have the rights to express my opinions here with basic in knowledge or even wild guesses as well. I don't appreciate that you lecture me like that.
"I think it is waste of tax money to pave this plaza then demolish it to make way for landscaping. I think they should have wait until they're ready to start construction on planned plaza. I don't get it why anyone have to demolish something then put something on it then start over again in short time. "

If you phrased it as a question and left out the emoticon it wouldn't sound like an attack, and it wouldn't sound like you think you're an expert. Since you did, don't expect immunity from being called on it.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #258
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
"I think it is waste of tax money to pave this plaza then demolish it to make way for landscaping. I think they should have wait until they're ready to start construction on planned plaza. I don't get it why anyone have to demolish something then put something on it then start over again in short time. "

If you phrased it as a question and left out the emoticon it wouldn't sound like an attack, and it wouldn't sound like you think you're an expert. Since you did, don't expect immunity from being called on it.
I told you, I didn't mean it sounded like I was attacking someone. I was just expressed myself. Sorry that you didn't see that way. I have been here for over three years and I think you should know what exactly I mean by now and sometime my posts might sound something different to you and some others like might be offensive which isn't really me. I am trying hard to make my English better so no one is offended here. I thought this emotion ":" was an appropriate way to express my frustration with the politicians for the way they spend our tax money. Some people on this website used same kind of emotion face when they express their emotions. If they can do it why can't I do that too? Anyway, I didn't expect this to get off topic here. Let's get back to the topic.

Last edited by CrazyAboutCities; December 12th, 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I wanted to make it clear for some guys here.
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #259
guinessbeer55

Likes (Received): 5

where are you from crazy?
guinessbeer55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #260
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 926

In defesne of Crazy About Cities, he misused a word in some of his posts. I sent him a private message, letting him know that I was aware English wasn't his first language, and I indicated how he misused the word. He was most grateful, and very appreciative. Crazy, I hope you don't mind my mentioning this here, but I think its important that we all realize that there may be language barriers amongst forum member, and sometimes, private messages might be the best way to find out where the other member is coming from.

I hope that this wasn't seen as an attack on anybody, it was not meant as such.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote