daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #2261
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by laojang View Post
Where did the word "another" come from?
Can you name a completed supertall in China that is a ghost tower? Only in your mind or wish?

Laojang
He most likely was referring to the Shanghai Tower maybe he saw a sixty minutes style real life documentary when they stand outside recently T/O buildings before they are completed claiming they have never been occupied not a single tenant a true ghost tower, evidence of the Chinese urban myth.

If it wasn't the Shanghai tower then we are in the dark because he didn't name one.
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #2262
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunming tiger View Post
He most likely was referring to the Shanghai Tower maybe he saw a sixty minutes style real life documentary when they stand outside recently T/O buildings before they are completed claiming they have never been occupied not a single tenant a true ghost tower, evidence of the Chinese urban myth.

If it wasn't the Shanghai tower then we are in the dark because he didn't name one.

The TV-crew would probably have taken a taxi to The Pants in Suzhou instead and done a piece on why it takes 12 years to build something if you have tenants lined up waiting to move in...

Anyway: Is it one company or are there many different ones moving into Shanghai Tower?
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #2263
kunming tiger

On the subject of clusters and their infkuence on urbanization in China

China to develop city clusters along middle reaches of Yangtze

BEIJING - China on Sunday unveiled a plan to develop city clusters along the middle reaches of the Yangtze River in a move to create a new economic growth engine and promote new urbanization.

They will mainly consist of urban clusters around Wuhan in Hubei province, the Changsha-Zhuzhou-Xiangtan city group in Hunan province and clusters around Poyang Lake in Jiangxi province, said the State Council, China's cabinet.

The clusters cover a total area of 317,000 square kilometers and are a pillar of the Yangtze River Economic Belt. They will also be key areas to implement the "Rise of central China" strategy, deepen reform and opening-up and promote a new type of urbanization, the State Council said in a statement on the government website.

Priority will be given to coordinated development between urban and rural areas and connectivity of infrastructure, such as construction of important transportation, water conservation and energy projects, noted the statement.

China put forward its "Rise of central China" strategy in 2004 amid efforts to achieve more balanced development. China last year began creating an economic belt along the Yangtze to promote better coordination in industrial development and more efficient allocation of resources among provincial regions traversed by the Yangtze, China's longest river.

Efforts will be made to make the most of each area's comparative industrial advantages, build competitive industry clusters, strengthen modern agriculture bases, promote industrial transfer among different areas, and speed up industrial upgrades, said the statement.

The plan comes as China works to facilitate economic upgrading and sustainable growth through urbanization.

Further reading

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_20005291.htm
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #2264
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdi Rasoul View Post
Isnt it kinda deserted? Like far away from the centre of Tianjin? Why did they even chose such an location? I mean i know its cheaper, but the building is gonna be... more ghost-ish
The entire area is a new business district. It's not really that far from Tianjin but it's certainly not actually within the city itself. Having been there I can tell you that it's not in the boonies or anything (there's pretty much no such thing in China)

Sure, room could be made within Tianjin but you also have to bear in mind that the older cities weren't built with buildings such as this in mind. You can do it but if you've ever been to China you know that traffic is an issue. A lot of Chinese cities have new, planned CBDs that are far away from the traditional cores.
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #2265
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by laojang View Post
Where did the word "another" come from?
Can you name a completed supertall in China that is a ghost tower? Only in your mind or wish?

Laojang
Well, there are indeed ghost towers in China but certainly none of the premier locations. There are plenty of buildings that are certainly "ghostly" though.

Also, bear in mind that most of the world just doesn't build nearly as many towers as China does. Just one average new Chinese residential district would be more than enough to suffice for ten years in your average N. American city and of course China has thousands of these things going up every day. It's easy for outsiders to conclude that it's some sort of failure on the part of planners when some fraction of them sit empty. Obviously they're wrong but for most of the world it's a strange thing.
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #2266
kunming tiger

I set up a special thread that deals with city clusters and urbanization

Click on the link
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post122980788

It might clear up some common mis conceptions that outsiders have in regards to national strategy regarding this pattern of urbanization and why significant commercial and residential projects are located far from existing ones including the Tianjin117.

Outside of India and China I don't thinik this pattern of urbanization would make much sense.

Ch.W liked this post
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #2267
gusgazman

Likes (Received): 641

That's what I call a skyscraper!
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #2268
Tahir Hani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

wow
Tahir Hani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #2269
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

by muxuan1983
Let's drool together part two...
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:57 AM   #2270
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

That is the most beautiful building in the World. 60 Minutes in the USA did a feature, of a "ghost city" in China called jiang Zhou, that must be what the former above is referring to. I didn't see any "supertalls".
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #2271
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
That is the most beautiful building in the World. 60 Minutes in the USA did a feature, of a "ghost city" in China called jiang Zhou, that must be what the former above is referring to. I didn't see any "supertalls".
Well i remember that, you should watch the below video It would certainly clear your doubts about that

Munwon, swatded, pteranodon liked this post

Last edited by snapdragon; April 14th, 2015 at 11:58 PM.
snapdragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #2272
Ch.W

by tiger1018

Chad, CP11, CarlosBlueDragon, swatded, mafd12 and 3 others liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #2273
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

When a skyscraper really scrapes the sky

dunefreezer liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #2274
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Well i remember that, you should watch the below video It would certainly clear your doubts about that
Zhengzhou Greenland Center is a really underrated building. the locals also call it 大玉米 (the big corn), because at night it is brightly colored in yellow.

pteranodon, Ch.W liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #2275
snapdragon

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
Zhengzhou Greenland Center is a really underrated building. the locals also call it 大玉米 (the big corn), because at night it is brightly colored in yellow.
Well the chinese always name their buildings crazily. SWFC as a bottle opener , jin mao screwdriver. The CCTV and Suzhou gate as the under pants.

Infact I thought Chinese were well known, for their art of exotic naming--> funny names

I think its just a chinese thing to give funny humiliating names and has nothing to do with how they see themselves or their buildings

Last edited by snapdragon; April 18th, 2015 at 06:07 AM.
snapdragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #2276
Sapumal

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
Zhengzhou Greenland Center is a really underrated building. the locals also call it 大玉米 (the big corn).
The name suits it, They should have officially named it the Big Corn
Sapumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #2277
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Well the chinese always name their buildings crazily. SWFC as a bottle opener , jin mao screwdriver. The CCTV and Suzhou gate as the under pants.

Infact I thought Chinese were well known, for their art of exotic naming--> funny names

I think its just a chinese thing to give funny humiliating names and has nothing to do with how they see themselves or their buildings
Changzhou modern media center is called "the syringe"
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:12 PM   #2278
Ch.W

by mt & feipeng8865
I can't count the floors exactly but the core should be topped out soon.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:10 PM   #2279
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Nice pics! Keep it up!

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:32 PM   #2280
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

It looks ridiculously tall, I wish it would never stop rising. Just let it taper until it's a spire haha

Tags
goldin finance 117, goldin metropolitan, haitai south-north street, huayuan industry park, tianjin, walking stick