daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM   #21
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

^ thanks. there's a height limit based on the angle of the top of the building to the street in front. there was a tall building (i think 18 stories) built in the 1890s, and a lot of residents protested. you can see this building in one of the pics from the monument.

can we please get this thread moved to Urban Showcase? thanks.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM   #22
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12282

Done!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:45 AM   #23
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
But these pics have changed my image of it being quite boring, looks lovely and cosmepolitan.
I used to have the same image of D.C.

It's much better in person and well, since I love American history is was even more fun for me.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM   #24
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Not quite. D.C. only has a bit of a European feel around the area where the government buildings and museums are located. Department of Commerce, Department of Agriculture, etc. are all contained in enormous Neo-Classical buildings. On the other hand, the rest of the city is pretty commercialized but Melbourne Separatist was right in saying it doesn't look like an average American city. It doesn't. I'd say it reminded me A LOT of Taipei's business districts. D.C. is indeed a very unique city and its metro resembles a huge bomb shelter.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM   #25
Enzio

Likes (Received): 1

DC has some stunning architecture... I've always wanted to visit, and really should sometime in the future!
Enzio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:34 AM   #26
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Definitely one of the best cities in the world.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM   #27
eklips

Likes (Received): 5051

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELBOURNE SEPERATIST View Post
It looks very european, kind of like paris- it doesn't look like what i thought a typical american city would look like
DC does not feel European at all. Maybe a bit more than Oklahoma city but it still is a quite essentially north American city, although clearly of east coast stock.

It's not because the buildings are shorter that it isn't north American. DC itself is organized in a grid pattern, it has a CBD just like most other american cities and a somehow dense inner city that is a mix of wealthy and gentrified districts with impoverished ones. The more you get away from the center, and the more it ressembles your usual east-coast suburbs.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM   #28
VelesHomais

The center of DC doesn't look like other American cities, east coast or not. The subway stations don't look American either. The architecture is mostly Greco-Roman neoclassicism for official buildings, while the other could be American if they weren't all of the same height, which is very unusual for America but can be found in planned cities like Paris. Although the actual architecture of those buildings is American, so Washington doesn't look like neither America or Europe, it looks only like itself.
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #29
eklips

DC is made of what, 0,1% of neoclassic buildings? They hardly define the city.
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #30
VelesHomais

City center defines city. It's not Bronx that defined NYC, but Manhattan skyscrapers, and it's the neoclassical buildings that define Washington.
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #31
eklips

These neoclassical buildings are hardly representative of DC's center, not only do they make a small proportion of the mall and the federal districts (you don't feel like walking in an ancient greek city when you're there...) but these areas of the urban area are not necessarily the only ones having central functions in the agglomeration.

And more generally, what defines a city is subjective, if city centers maybe define a city on post cards, you can hardly say that it is a general truth in all cases and for everyone. If you consider that touristic city centers define a city, fine , but it's not a general truth.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #32
Pegasusbsb27
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

One of the most beautifuls cities in the USA.
Pegasusbsb27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #33
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Lovely pictures there of a very elegant looking city. Some of the pictures remind of London and Birmingham in the UK.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #34
VelesHomais

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
These neoclassical buildings are hardly representative of DC's center, not only do they make a small proportion of the mall and the federal districts (you don't feel like walking in an ancient greek city when you're there...) but these areas of the urban area are not necessarily the only ones having central functions in the agglomeration.

And more generally, what defines a city is subjective, if city centers maybe define a city on post cards, you can hardly say that it is a general truth in all cases and for everyone. If you consider that touristic city centers define a city, fine , but it's not a general truth.
My opinion defines the truth. Because everyone else are merely a figment of my imagination.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #35
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

These pics... Wow. This is honestly, probably the best photo thread that I've seen. Wonderful job.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #36
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

Worth the second look!

I'd love to go back.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #37
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
These pics... Wow. This is honestly, probably the best photo thread that I've seen. Wonderful job.
thanks to you and all the other forumers with positive, constructive responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
DC does not feel European at all. Maybe a bit more than Oklahoma city but it still is a quite essentially north American city, although clearly of east coast stock.

It's not because the buildings are shorter that it isn't north American. DC itself is organized in a grid pattern, it has a CBD just like most other american cities and a somehow dense inner city that is a mix of wealthy and gentrified districts with impoverished ones. The more you get away from the center, and the more it ressembles your usual east-coast suburbs.
i see you have some serious issues over people saying D.C. feels "European." i'll go so far to say that D.C. feels European (and American) in parts outside the CBD (like Rosslyn and Ballston.) granted, it's "new-European," but still "European."

-

- gleegieboy
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #38
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Lovely pictures there of a very elegant looking city. Some of the pictures remind of London and Birmingham in the UK.
i can see London, but i'm curious which ones remind you of Birmingham, and which parts of Birmingham?

-

- gleegieboy
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #39
eklips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
i see you have some serious issues over people saying D.C. feels "European." i'll go so far to say that D.C. feels European (and American) in parts outside the CBD (like Rosslyn and Ballston.) granted, it's "new-European," but still "European."
I have "issues"? Why try to sound insulting for something as trivial as this? To say the exact same thing, "you seem against the idea of DC feeling European" would have done the job. It means the same thing and is much more neutral.

That said, I don't have any "issues" about the question. It's just that DC is a city where I spent 5 years of my life, so when I say it doesn't feel European, it's because in my experience it doesn't.

Sure DC has a dense center and has other dense districts (such as those you mentioned in Virginia, and it's the same in downtown Bethesda or Silver Spring) but so do New York, Boston and other East Coast cities.

So, why would DC be "European" and not the others? Only because the buildings are shorter? Personally I find this to be a bit short for such a comparison...

And since Europe is anything but homogenous, what part of Europe exactly does DC feels like?
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #40
Mariachi McMuffin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

People often throw around the word "European" too often. These dense, Eastcoast cities are American cities, or at least what American cities were supposed to be before our ultra reliance on cars.

The worst is when people say New York City, Boston, and Philly are European. I can at least understand when people throw D.C. in there.
Mariachi McMuffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote