daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #261
thibo245

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
House number 55, house number 55 (second floor), number 57, and number 57 (second floor). That's the way how I would interprete it
No. That's not how it works. Paris supposedly is the first city in the world that started house numbering in the 18th century. At the time they gave numbers to buildings (lots). In more than 200 years, many buildings have been destroyed and rebuilt. Oftentimes, buildings have been destroyed, lots have been divided (especially when the landlords died and their children inherited the lots and divided them), yet the house numbering system has not been overhauled. So what they did, when a lot was divided in two, they would add "bis".

E.g., suppose a building on rue de Seine numbered 12 in the 18th century. At some point in the 19th century, they destroyed the building, and sold the lot, but they divided it in two lots and sold it to two different persons. Then the new landlords built two buildings. One got the number 12, while the other got the number 12bis.

In some cases, they divided the lots in three, so the first building would be number 12, the second one 12bis, and the third one 12ter.

In some cases when they divided the lots in four, the fourth building would be "quater" (e.g. 12quater), but this is rare. I have never seen house numbers beyond "quater".

Here in the picture posted what's weird is you have the house numbers of basically four buildings (building 55, building 55bis, building 57, and building 57bis), and I don't understand why they are all in the same place instead of being at the entrance of each separate building. The street sign also doesn't look like a regular Paris street sign, yet the uploader said it was in Paris.
thibo245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #262
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibo245 View Post
No. That's not how it works. Paris supposedly is the first city in the world that started house numbering in the 18th century. At the time they gave numbers to buildings (lots). In more than 200 years, many buildings have been destroyed and rebuilt. Oftentimes, buildings have been destroyed, lots have been divided (especially when the landlords died and their children inherited the lots and divided them), yet the house numbering system has not been overhauled. So what they did, when a lot was divided in two, they would add "bis".

E.g., suppose a building on rue de Seine numbered 12 in the 18th century. At some point in the 19th century, they destroyed the building, and sold the lot, but they divided it in two lots and sold it to two different persons. Then the new landlords built two buildings. One got the number 12, while the other got the number 12bis.

In some cases, they divided the lots in three, so the first building would be number 12, the second one 12bis, and the third one 12ter.

In some cases when they divided the lots in four, the fourth building would be "quater" (e.g. 12quater), but this is rare. I have never seen house numbers beyond "quater".

Here in the picture I posted what's weird is you have the house numbers of basically four buildings (building 55, building 55bis, building 57, and building 57bis), and I don't understand why they are all in the same place instead of being at the entrance of each separate building. The street sign also doesn't look like a regular Paris street sign, yet the uploader said it was in Paris.
I was about to write the same. We use the same system in Spain, a friend of mine lives in a 8ter . The opposite case is also quite common: When a group of buildings is demolished (let's say 55 and 57) to build a single one, the latter is called 55-57. But I think this is made in every country, not as the first case.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #263
thibo245

Likes (Received): 0

Here they divided the lot in four lots over time, but they put all the house numbers in the same place, probably because the four lots only have one entrance on the street.

thibo245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #264
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Yes, that's the reason, here it's also done like that.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #265
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If trucks pass eachother on provincial roads, they usually only have one or two decimaters to spare.
When a bus and a truck pass in the city centre of Abcoude, they usually have 5 to 10 cm space left. In the morning there are always trucks unloading at the stores, and all traffic has to pass. In the evening rush hour they're not allowed to do it, but sometimes they still do, and together with all traffic that avoids the A2, some serious jams can occur. They installed a road block a year ago, which worked. Unfortunately someone blew it up with some heavy (Belgian) fireworks.

But I'm getting OT now
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #266
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
When a bus and a truck pass in the city centre of Abcoude, they usually have 5 to 10 cm space left. In the morning there are always trucks unloading at the stores, and all traffic has to pass. In the evening rush hour they're not allowed to do it, but sometimes they still do, and together with all traffic that avoids the A2, some serious jams can occur. They installed a road block a year ago, which worked. Unfortunately someone blew it up with some heavy (Belgian) fireworks.

But I'm getting OT now
Further OT, but 5-10 cms to spare when meeting another lorry? How about 5-10 cms to spare on either side of the road:

http://www.bt.no/trafikk/article637196.ece
http://flickr.com/photos/dese/2543757589/

Norwegian article about possibly the worst national road we have, the rv 48 in Tysse. The pictures ought to be clear...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #267
Timon91
Error

That looks pretty bad indeed. Luckily you still have all your time to get through. In Abcoude there is a lot of rat running and people get aggresive because they have to wait, since the truck that is slowly overtaking the stopped truck is riding on the wrong lane. And of course all the traffic behind the truck sneaks right behind the truck, to make matters worse
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #268
ElviS77

Quote:
That looks pretty bad indeed. Luckily you still have all your time to get through. In Abcoude there is a lot of rat running and people get aggresive because they have to wait, since the truck that is slowly overtaking the stopped truck is riding on the wrong lane. And of course all the traffic behind the truck sneaks right behind the truck, to make matters worse
The road is, obviously, not very busy, but it happens to be a part of the shortest (in kms) Oslo-Bergen link. So any international trucker with an updated GPS might just end up there...
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #269
Timon91
Error

That's pretty bad. Is there a road from Oslo to Bergen that is suitable enough for trucks?

Perhaps Chris should move this trucks discussion to the trucks thread....
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #270
enschede-er
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

here a few funny pics:

enschede-er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #271
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

All of them are made in photoshop!
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #272
Timon91
Error

Of course, but they're nice though
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #273
ElviS77

Quote:
That's pretty bad. Is there a road from Oslo to Bergen that is suitable enough for trucks?

Perhaps Chris should move this trucks discussion to the trucks thread....
Yes. The E16 and variants (E16+rv 7+rv 52+E16 again) is ok, even though there are narrow spots. The same goes for the rv 7/E16. They are longer, but currently the best options. In the wintertime, the E16 is the very safest bet, since the mountain pass almost never closes. It is, however, the longest. The E134 with links is shortest, but as the rv 48 pictures clearly show, these links aren't up to the task as of now. And moving it to the trucks thread would make sense...
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #274
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

A confusing sign from Tallinn.(Pic from flickr)
image hosted on flickr
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #275
RipleyLV

Funny signs from Latvia:

Old February 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #276
Shapoor
Highrise Resident

Likes (Received): 40

Road sign in Iran. spot anything wrong?

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Shapoor; February 20th, 2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Shapoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #277
Timon91
Error

I'm laughing my head off

By the way, it's quite a nice site, Ripley. Seems like this guy has found the perfect place for a nap

Last edited by Timon91; February 20th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #278
RipleyLV

Yeah, on chips.
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM   #279
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

More Bilingual blunders:
English on top says look right, Welsh transation below says look left!

Perfectly normal English warning for cyclists on top, but Welsh section translates into "bladder inflammation upset/overturn"!

And...
Can anyone notice what's wrong with the word "Tewkesbury" here?
image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by enschede-er View Post
I can indeed verify that this sign is photshopped. It's in Fishponds approaching M32 Junction 2. I go past it everytime we leave Bristol!

Last edited by Exethalion; February 21st, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM   #280
eulogy
비누

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibo245 View Post
Here they divided the lot in four lots over time, but they put all the house numbers in the same place, probably because the four lots only have one entrance on the street.

In Australia, we use 55, 55a, 55b when the subdivided lots all have street frontage.

Where the properties share access/driveway it is more normal to use 1/55, 2/55, 3/55. This system is also used for flats/apartments. What you would actually see on the street is a large street number (e.g. 55) and a smaller number next to each letter box (1, 2, 3 etc.).
eulogy no está en línea   Reply With Quote