daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM   #501
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Likes (Received): 5

This the proof that Sweden does not belong to Continental Europe.

The sign welcomes swedish motorists from Göteborg arriving with the ferry in Fredrikshavn, DK.

Sweden and Norway form the scandinavian peninsula which is separated from Continental Europe, that is why swedish people talk about going to the continent on vacation, meaning Mainland Europe.

Do we see the same type of signs in Calais ? Brittain is also a non continental country.

I saw a news-program on YLE finnish tv a couple of years ago, asking finns if they feel european, most of them answered no, they told the reporter that they considered them selfs suomalainen, finnish. not european.

Russians do not consider themselfes europeans nor asians, they refer to Europe as a piece of land located in the distant west.

I recognize myself as a swedish scandinavian, nordic but not european, because I was born here on the scandinavian penisula in the far north close to the arctic circle. far away from Brussels and the EU.

Last edited by Magnus Brage; December 22nd, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:56 AM   #502
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

I mean no disrespect, but don't you feel a little limited?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #503
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post

This the proof that Sweden does not belong to Continental Europe.

The sign welcomes swedish motorists from Göteborg arriving with the ferry in Fredrikshavn, DK.

Sweden and Norway form the scandinavian peninsula which is separated from Continental Europe, that is why swedish people talk about going to the continent on vacation, meaning Mainland Europe.

Do we see the same type of signs in Calais ? Brittain is also a non continental country.

I saw a news-program on YLE finnish tv a couple of years ago, asking finns if they feel european, most of them answered no, they told the reporter that they considered them selfs suomalainen, finnish. not european.

Russians do not consider themselfes europeans nor asians, they refer to Europe as a piece of land located in the distant west.

I recognize myself as a swedish scandinavian, nordic but not european, because I was born here on the scandinavian penisula in the far north close to the arctic circle. far away from Brussels and the EU.

This is not correct! But I notice you really want to tell other here you are only Scaninavian, not European. Is this a sort of propaganda you are making?

The Scandinavian peninsula is a part of continental Europe, not an island. And if you are using the roads now in Sweden they are even built together with the motorways from Sweden over Denmark to Germany.

Sweden is a part of Europe, like other European countries. And it's a part of the EU. Also the UK is a part of Europe. Please!
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #504
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Sweden is a part of Europe, like other European countries. And it's a part of the EU. Also the UK is a part of Europe. Please!
Also when English people speak about Europe they usually mean the rest of the Europe (without the UK).
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM   #505
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

We have saying in Serbia for that: Pissing against wind (litterally)
Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM   #506
Magnus Brage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Also when English people speak about Europe they usually mean the rest of the Europe (without the UK).
I remember when the rockband U2 released their album Zooropa in 1991, the album was recorded in Berlin, they told the reporter that the irish people do not recognize themselfes as europeans and that they have always felt closer with America rather than with Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala
This is not correct! But I notice you really want to tell other here you are only Scaninavian, not European. Is this a sort of propaganda you are making?.

Yes, I really expected an answer from you my friend.

I have a suggestion: We put up a similar sign for the continental danes to see when they arrive in Göteborg. The sign should show a similar arrow pointing directly towards Murmansk with the welcoming words "Welcome to the Arctic"

Actually you can drive nonstop from Göteborg to Murmansk with no ferries (if you ignore the customs at the rus-fin border)
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #507
Magnus Brage

Even if Sweden is supposed to belong to Europe, there is a distinct inequality between the Scandinavian penisula and the Continental part of Europe. But the inequalitiy is not only geographical.

Over there in Mainland Europe its more crowded with people, the pace and velocity of traffic is higher,real estate is more expensive, people are more conservative, great difference between rich and poor, large group of finacially secure citizens and also beggars, schools demanding more of pupils, tight structure of class society exists and the attitude towards topics as alcohol, drugs and prostitution is more allowing.

Last edited by Magnus Brage; December 23rd, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:53 PM   #508
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Even if Sweden is supposed to belong to Europe, there is a distinct inequality between the Scandinavian penisula and the Continental part of Europe. But the inequalitiy is not only geographical.

Over there in Mainland Europe its more crowded with people, the pace and velocity of traffic is higher,real estate is more expensive, people are more conservative, great difference between rich and poor, large group of finacially secure citizens and also beggars, schools demanding more of pupils, tight structure of class society exists and the attitude towards topics as alcohol, drugs and prostitution is more allowing.
Isn't that a bit contradictory?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM   #509
Uppsala

Quote:

You are making propaganda and your propaganda don't have a place in this forum. This forum is not political. Please!

This is real rubbish! You don't have that distinct inequality between the Scandinavian peninsula and the rest of Europe. That's only a few people think this existing. And the south part of Sweden (Skåne) is very similar to Denmark and north part of Germany.

And don't say they are more conserative and have more drugs in other countries. This is rubbish, and you just make people angry. That problem exist in Sweden as much as other parts of Europe.

What you say now is very prejudiced. And this forum is not for no prejudices or Scandinavian nationalism. Please knock it off with your propaganda, please! It is not even true.
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #510
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
I remember when the rockband U2 released their album Zooropa in 1991, the album was recorded in Berlin, they told the reporter that the irish people do not recognize themselfes as europeans and that they have always felt closer with America rather than with Europe.
Well, sometimes it is like this also with British people even if the economy is what matters.
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #511
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #512
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Sorry for quoting such an old post, but just to make a bit of a correction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X236K View Post
Said to be seen in Russia:

The sign is actually at the croc park at the town of St. Lucia, northern KwaZulu-Natal. I went there a few times when I still lived in Durban.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #513
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2K View Post
The sign is actually at the croc park at the town of St. Lucia, northern KwaZulu-Natal. I went there a few times when I still lived in Durban.
Yeah. I don't think they have crocodiles in Россия.
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #514
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
swedish people talk about going to the continent on vacation, meaning Mainland Europe.
Estonians do the same.
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #515
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

I think Greenland doesn't relate at all to continental North America though it is a part of it geographically. The same for the all of the Carribbean islands. I've never heard anyone refer to that as North America, though it is.
The way Magnus refers to his opinion on Scandinavia being detached from continental Europe can be applied to the parts of North America that really think they have nothing to do with continental North America. Greenland has so much Danish influence it's considered by many as European but once again it's North American.
So why get upset if ones opinion is different?
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #516
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
You are making propaganda and your propaganda don't have a place in this forum. This forum is not political. Please!

This is real rubbish! You don't have that distinct inequality between the Scandinavian peninsula and the rest of Europe. That's only a few people think this existing. And the south part of Sweden (Skåne) is very similar to Denmark and north part of Germany.

And don't say they are more conserative and have more drugs in other countries. This is rubbish, and you just make people angry. That problem exist in Sweden as much as other parts of Europe.

What you say now is very prejudiced. And this forum is not for no prejudices or Scandinavian nationalism. Please knock it off with your propaganda, please! It is not even true.
Actually most of it is true. If you check population density, Sweden is not very dense, like the Netherlands or Belgium. Traffic is more intense in mainland Europe, partly due to this fact.

For real estate, I can't tell, but regarding difference between rich and poor, Sweden has a very low Gini coefficient (see here). This also leads to a more class-oriented society, as Magnus wrote.

Politics are quite the same, but Sweden is traditionally more progressive and leftist than the rest of (Western) Europe. School is another subject that is very subjective, but since Sweden has been falling in quality of education, I can only assume it is partly due to not demanding enough from pupils.

For drinking, drugs and such, taking a casual glass of wine or beer is indeed more common in Europe than in Sweden. However, this does not mean that we drink less in Sweden. Regarding drug use and prostitution, Sweden has its own fair share of problems, as do mainland Europe.

With that said, I do not think Magnus is spreading propaganda, but rather you being a little too touchy on such subject, am I right?
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #517
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiga View Post
Actually most of it is true. If you check population density, Sweden is not very dense, like the Netherlands or Belgium. Traffic is more intense in mainland Europe, partly due to this fact.

For real estate, I can't tell, but regarding difference between rich and poor, Sweden has a very low Gini coefficient (see here). This also leads to a more class-oriented society, as Magnus wrote.

Politics are quite the same, but Sweden is traditionally more progressive and leftist than the rest of (Western) Europe. School is another subject that is very subjective, but since Sweden has been falling in quality of education, I can only assume it is partly due to not demanding enough from pupils.

For drinking, drugs and such, taking a casual glass of wine or beer is indeed more common in Europe than in Sweden. However, this does not mean that we drink less in Sweden. Regarding drug use and prostitution, Sweden has its own fair share of problems, as do mainland Europe.

With that said, I do not think Magnus is spreading propaganda, but rather you being a little too touchy on such subject, am I right?
Most of what Magnus Brage are writing about when he said Sweden should be different from other countries is rubbish and propaganda.

Sweden is a part of Europe, and most people in my hometown feeling European if someone ask them.

Every country is unique, but Sweden is not more unique than other countries

Can we stop with this propaganda please? This is not a forum about roads, not politics.
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #518
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Next time Magnus Brage should go to Denmark over Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Estonians do the same.
Estonians? Estonia isn't even on a peninsula. It's geographically just an extension of Russia.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #519
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Most of what Magnus Brage are writing about when he said Sweden should be different from other countries is rubbish and propaganda.
Call it what you want, it still doesn't change the facts that are in my post.

Quote:
Sweden is a part of Europe, and most people in my hometown feeling European if someone ask them.
I agree with Sweden being part of Europe, but it is also part of Scandinavia. However, saying that most people in your hometown agree with you can hardly be considered reliable.

Quote:
Every country is unique, but Sweden is not more unique than other countries
That is true, but neither Magnus or I have made any attempts to claim that Sweden is more unique. We have just pointed out the differences, and why this makes us more like our Scandinavian neighbouring countries than for example France or the Netherlands. Hence why some are more likely to call Sweden a Scandinavian country than a European country (both of which are true).

Quote:
Can we stop with this propaganda please? This is not a forum about roads, not politics.
So if it's not about roads nor politics, what is it about?

Seriously though, he is not spread some sort of propaganda, and neither am I. We are merely discussing our views on this matter, just like you. And if you claim that he is spreading Scandinavian propaganda, then you must be spreading European propaganda.

With that said, yes I agree that we should return this thread to its original subject, "Weird and wonderful road signs".
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #520
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Estonians? Estonia isn't even on a peninsula. It's geographically just an extension of Russia.
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote