daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #521
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Estonians do the same.
No, we don't. When we say "travel to Europe" we usually mean Western Europe. I haven't heard anyone say "travel to the continent" when they mean Western Europe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Estonians? Estonia isn't even on a peninsula. It's geographically just an extension of Russia.

I don't know what the teacher taught you at school but geographically Estonia is part of the East Eurpean Plain.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; December 26th, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #522
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
No, we don't. When we say "travel to Europe" we usually mean Western Europe. I haven't heard anyone say "travel to the continent" when they mean Western Europe....
They just don't refer to it as the "continent", they call it by the continent's name.

Anything outside UTC+2 is called "Europe".

Quote:
It's geographically just an extension of Russia.
"Geographically" the entire Eurasian continent is an extension of Russia.

You could also say the Baltic states form a peninsula. Since anything that isn't in the EU or requires a visa isn't Europe anyway.
Old December 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #523
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Since anything that isn't in the EU or requires a visa isn't Europe anyway.

So Vatikan is not Europe?
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #524
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post

I don't know what the teacher taught you at school but geographically Estonia is part of the East Eurpean Plain.
I know Russia is a political subject, but if it were also geographical, it would include Estonia, like the East European Plain (which is also called Russian Plain after all). Or better said, the Commonwealth of Independent States (Russia, Belarus etc.) would geographically be logical to include the three Baltic states.

Quote:
They just don't refer to it as the "continent", they call it by the continent's name.
There's a big difference in saying "I'm going to Europe" and saying "I'm going to the continent".

Quote:
"Geographically" the entire Eurasian continent is an extension of Russia.
Russia doesn't cover more than a third of Eurasia, so I don't see how it would be logical to include the Arabian Peninsula, f.e.

Quote:
You could also say the Baltic states form a peninsula. Since anything that isn't in the EU or requires a visa isn't Europe anyway.
Yeah, but Poland is quite European (whereas Russia is simply Russian).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #525
ssh
i don't like skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Hafen View Post
:nuts:
So Vatikan is not Europe?
Oh please, Vatican isn't even a democracy. :) How can we bestow the beautiful name of Europe on it?

Quote:
I know Russia is a political subject, but if it were also geographical, it would include Estonia, like the East European Plain (which is also called Russian Plain after all).
Most of Russia is outside the plain. So... most of Russia is actually not Russia?

Quote:
Or better said, the Commonwealth of Independent States (Russia, Belarus etc.) would geographically be logical to include the three Baltic states.
CIS is a political institution, not a geographical one. Your "logic" doesn't apply here.

Quote:
There's a big difference in saying "I'm going to Europe" and saying "I'm going to the continent".
No, there isn't. Both are only a matter of perception. A flawed perception, caused by considerable distances with Europe's centre and political borders, rather than geographical ones.

Quote:
Russia doesn't cover more than a third of Eurasia, so I don't see how it would be logical to include the Arabian Peninsula, f.e.
It's funny that you don't, because everything else that doesn't make an inch of sense seems to be so very logical to you.

Quote:
Yeah, but Poland is quite European (whereas Russia is simply Russian).
I never said it wasn't European. But I do believe Poland is also more Polish than European, don't you? :)
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #526
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

I come here every time there is an update hoping to find some new "weird and wonderful road signs"... but there aren't
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #527
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I come here every time there is an update hoping to find some new "weird and wonderful road signs"... but there aren't
Me too, I even started drawing "wonderful and weird" signs to satisfy myself %) (end of joking), how do you like this visualisation?
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #528
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

looks good.

Though I must add I think out of all the capitalized fonts used on signage, the Czech one is definitely the best.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #529
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
looks good.

Though I must add I think out of all the capitalized fonts used on signage, the Czech one is definitely the best.
Yeah I agree (and I already noticed you do), but there is some (not small) percentage of signs where the usage of Engschrift is a little bit exaggerated and the legibility of the text rapidly falls down. I think that Engschrift shouldn't be used so much as we in CZ do. Look at this sign fo example:
http://ttnz.cz/mo/album/v/stavby/sil..._4161.JPG.html
BRNO and CHODOV are written in "Engschrift" but why the hell? BRNO is the most important destiation here and it's definitely not the most legible or visible at all. The main reason for using "engschrift" is that it makes sign smaller and therefore cheaper. Small letters help to solve this problem... But in this case also white background of the sign would solve some problem (this place is on city-owned urban expressway, since 2010 with almost no transit traffic importance).

And one more question, how do you like the "RING" symbol on the first picture (left to Pražský okruh)? Is it clear enough? We have discussions about this now and then...
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #530
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
And one more question, how do you like the "RING" symbol on the first picture (left to Pražský okruh)? Is it clear enough? We have discussions about this now and then...
I noticed it when you posted the pic and I must say that it's an excelent sign for a ring-road.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #531
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
Great sign but that symbol looks like recycle one. Sorry. : )

Anyway, I think this is better than simple circle like - O.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #532
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

It would be better if there is an universal ring road symbol to be used all over Europe.

I don't think any non-Slavic would understand what "okruh" means. I even doubt if people manage to link Pražský to Praha.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #533
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
It would be better if there is an universal ring road symbol to be used all over Europe.

I don't think any non-Slavic would understand what "okruh" means. I even doubt if people manage to link Pražský to Praha.
Chris, I have no idea how does it look like.

And even Slavic people might have problem. for example in Croatian "kruh" means bread.

I think that "oblaznica" stands for by-pass. But ring in Croatian and Cezch is the same - prsten. If I am sure. And "krug" means "kruh" - circle so I think it might be ok for them.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #534
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

A very good design! I like the ring road symbol.

Stylistically, it might be possible to tweak it a little. Pictograms should ideally have a more-or-less uniform weight, but the 'ring road' symbol here is very light and thin when compared with the heavy 'interchange' symbol. When considering a wide range of possible sign layouts, it might be a problem.

The whole layout works very fine.

There's one more thing that bugs me on the picture you linked above. The sign's visual balance is thrown off by patching; black-on-white patches (local destinations?) get a very strong focus, emphasised by the black border, while remote destinations blend in with the background. In some situations, that might be a desirable option (I guess Hradec Králové is a lot harder to miss than Hostivař or Spořilov), but in many other cases, it's the other way around. Brno should indeed be much more prominently displayed.

In your visualisation, the patches are much less prominent, and I think that's a good thing. The British don't allow patching on motorway signage at all and in Germany it's used rather sparingly, as far as I've seen.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #535
Verso
Islander

Quote:

"Okruh" sounds weird even in Slovenian, cause "kruh" means bread (edit: seem has already mentioned that). We sign our ringroad simply by writing "AC obroč/ring", but there's no symbol for it.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #536
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

In the British Highway Code, there is a sign for "Ring Road";

image hosted on flickr

On secondary routes it would have a white background and on primary a green background. However, I have only ever seen the sign in a video of the Coventry Ring Road.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #537
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
"Okruh" sounds weird even in Slovenian, cause "kruh" means bread (edit: seem has already mentioned that). We sign our ringroad simply by writing "AC obroč/ring", but there's no symbol for it.
Yeah, but mind that you read "h" as our "ch" and you usually have in words "g" if we have "h". Like kruh (circle) - krug (circle). Etc.

But stop another Slavic issue cos these Western Europeans will kill us.
Old December 27th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #538
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Like kruh (circle)
Isn't circle "okruh"?
Old December 27th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #539
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Isn't circle "okruh"?
No. Circle is "kruh" in Cezch and Slovak (not sure about Polish) but "okruh" means circuit.
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #540
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

In Russian "krug" means "circle" and technically "okrug" means "region/district".

Like seem said for Croatian/Czech, technically in Russian you can say "persten" for "ring", but it's not a commonly used word. The common word for "ring" is "kolco" (where c=ts), which is also the name for a ring road - "kolcevaya doroga".

Last edited by TheCat; December 27th, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote