daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #801
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3445

we have still got no answer: now do they check wether a person is a Muslim or not? do they have some Muslim ID cards?

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #802
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Some research on internet:

Quote:
You will be required to state your religion when you apply for your visa. Once you get in, you will have to get a residency permit (an "iqama"), which will contain, among other information, the religion that you picked on your visa application.

If the subtext of your question is that non-Muslims can enter Mecca if they really want to, then yes, many non-Muslims have "snuck into" Mecca over the past 1400 years, and continue to do so.
Quote:
You have to prove you are muslim way before receiving an entry visa for Saudi (i.e. Omara/Hajj). Religion status are on some peoples legal documents when they enter provided from their country. If you come from a non-muslim country you will be asked to provide paper work from your local mosque vouching you are a practicing muslim, where your mosque imam will have to sign.

Also, when entering the border of Makkah city you stop at a check point where you are documented and your papers checked.
Quote:
yes there are papers and documents..
and normally if you come from a predominantly muslim country and want to enter Mecca, the country has to approve a the app to get a visa and they'll know...
I know as americans.. you have to have a paper from a reputable masjid showing you have become or are a muslim, then this paper has to be notorized by the city, state and by washington and the American muslim association..
If you are not a muslim and you just want to enter Mecca.. your actions will show.. cause muslims are there to do their religious rites, not act like oogling tourists to take snapshots of everything.. and stare.. You will be expected to act like the other muslims.. and if you dont know, you better be an awful good actor. cause you will be looked at and if you dont seem to be the real deal, you will be stopped by the religious police and questioned further..
Quote:
Well, the Iqama and passport defines you as a muslim. For Haj for sure there is lot of checking and permits required to enter. So to enter the city of mecca they check the permit.

but then again, I then again because of the sheer number of people, i don't think its possible to check everyone.

But then again, if you are a muslim you will need to perform certain things, and there is lot of security personnel around who would notice if you do not follow the normal procedures.

If you get caught..well.. that'sanother story.
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #803
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
If you get caught..well.. that'sanother story.
Long term prison? Whipping on your back? I would never imagine what means getting into troubles in a so antidemocratic country.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #804
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Long term prison? Whipping on your back? I would never imagine what means getting into troubles in a so antidemocratic country.
The prohibition on non-Muslims entering really doesn't bother me: I'm an open-minded enough western person ;-) to accept that a religion is going to have certain rituals, and spaces associated with them, that are only open to members. It's unusual in this instance that the closed space is a whole city, but on the other hand, if the "ritual" is a pilgrimage participated in by millions of people.... I was once in the Notre-Dame basilica in Montreal and saw a group of Japanese tourists step inside the altar rail to take pictures of each other. I was shocked, and came very close to approaching them and asking them to move. Not because they were Japanese but because treating that space as just a nice place to take pictures is inappropriate. (And a respectful tourist will understand that sort of thing.)

So I wouldn't just say "but that's discrimination pure and simple," because it's really not about that.

On the post above, on the other hand, you're right.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #805
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
we have still got no answer: now do they check wether a person is a Muslim or not? do they have some Muslim ID cards?
The fisrt name is enough.

Michael, John, David... = non muslims
Hicham, Mohamed, Karim... = muslims
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #806
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

There are Muslims with non-"Muslim sounding names", like Lucy Raham
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #807
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The prohibition on non-Muslims entering really doesn't bother me: I'm an open-minded enough western person ;-) to accept that a religion is going to have certain rituals, and spaces associated with them, that are only open to members. It's unusual in this instance that the closed space is a whole city, but on the other hand, if the "ritual" is a pilgrimage participated in by millions of people.... I was once in the Notre-Dame basilica in Montreal and saw a group of Japanese tourists step inside the altar rail to take pictures of each other. I was shocked, and came very close to approaching them and asking them to move. Not because they were Japanese but because treating that space as just a nice place to take pictures is inappropriate. (And a respectful tourist will understand that sort of thing.)

So I wouldn't just say "but that's discrimination pure and simple," because it's really not about that.

On the post above, on the other hand, you're right.
Yeah, those Japanese tourists were very rude and ignorant. When you came to a foreign country you must respect their rules. If I will visit a mosque, a synagogue or a temple of some Asian religion certainly I would respect their rules even if I don't believe in that religion.
So, I can accept that non-Muslims can't take part to official pilgrimages, religious events or access some holy sites, but be denied to entry in a whole city is absurd, IMHO. If Saudi Arabia will became democratic, and will get free elections, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, equality between genders, legal homosexuality and alchool, also non-Muslim tourists will became allowed to sightseeing in Mecca and Medina. That's because religious-related discriminations aren't compatible with a democracy. This restriction is centuries old? Doesn't matter, in Europe the Church burned eretics for centuries but now...
Off course tourists visiting such holy places must behave in a respectful way towards Islam even if they don't pray Allah and drink beer and eat pork in their countries. But I don't think walking in the streets and watching monuments is unrespectful toward a religion, while step inside a church's altair and take pics like in a pub obviously is.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #808
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaMor View Post
The fisrt name is enough.

Michael, John, David... = non muslims
Hicham, Mohamed, Karim... = muslims
Wrong. E.g. the leader of Muslim Community in Hungary has a very common Hungarian name.

Some years ago I worked for a statistical company. I had a task of collect Arab citizens from the Stockholm phone register (I had it electronically). You couldn't imagine how many Fatima Andersson, Hassan Isaksson, etc. we had :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #809
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Wrong. E.g. the leader of Muslim Community in Hungary has a very common Hungarian name.

Some years ago I worked for a statistical company. I had a task of collect Arab citizens from the Stockholm phone register (I had it electronically). You couldn't imagine how many Fatima Andersson, Hassan Isaksson, etc. we had :-)
It is quite unusual for a Muslim to have a "non Muslim" name though, even if not unheard of in my experience.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #810
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
It is quite unusual for a Muslim to have a "non Muslim" name though, even if not unheard of in my experience.
Really? Most Muslims know little about old Islamic communities in Europe...

More about Lipka Tatars in Poland/Belarus/Lithuania.
Switek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #811
24days
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Timisoara - a campaign to warn drivers about the growing number of pedestrians injured / killed on zebra crossing:

24days no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #812
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

BASTARDO (in spanish) = BASTARD
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #813
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

It's in italian too
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #814
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

The 2012 Giro will pass through Bastardo! . But I laugh more at Polla (Obscene Spanish for *****), also in Italy. And with Pölla, Austria.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #815
Peines
Peter

(…for those who don't speak Spanish…) For me "Controllo Elettronico Velocità - BASTARDO" it's translated as "Control de Velocidad por radar - BASTARDO" and for me it sound like "SLOW DOWN SON OF A BITCH"
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #816
Peines
Peter

One from Spain…

Warning: Gipsy kids.
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #817
italystf

This means "sex" in Italian:
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #818
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Last edited by Satyricon84; November 9th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #819
Peines
Peter

The spanish part mean: "This Parking its Only for the people who use the cemetery - Not for other uses" = "Zombie park only"
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #820
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Two from Jan Mayen island