daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #881
User-_

Likes (Received): 0

Somewhere in hungary.
User-_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #882
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

This is my favourite which I spotted in Woolacombe, Devon, UK.

Look very carefully at the use of English and it gives the sign an entirely different and comical meaning!!!

image hosted on flickr

Personnel Ablutions = washing or purifying your employees!!!! I think the engineers at Devon need English lessons.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #883
bogdymol
bogdymod

What's wrong with sleeping in a parking lot?

You go on a long journey, and after several hours you feel tired and pull over in a parking lot to have a nap in your car instead of driving without stopping and having an accident...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #884
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol

You go on a long journey, and after several hours you feel tired and pull over in a parking lot to have a nap in your car instead of driving without stopping and having an accident...
Maybe they want keep away undesirable people such gypsies, prostitutes, drug pushers, etc... In many places, expecially urban areas, camping and long-term parking outside designated areas aren't allowed for this reason.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #885
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post

They want you to go to a hotel where you pay for sleeping and eating.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #886
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Quote:
Maybe they want keep away undesirable people such gypsies, prostitutes, drug pushers, etc... In many places, expecially urban areas, camping and long-term parking outside designated areas aren't allowed for this reason.
Quote:
These are the likely reasons ...

(I guess also the prohibition of liquids on board an aircraft is not (only) about liquid explosives threats, but also about having to buy your beverages at the airport or in the aircraft. Or the "not drinking water" signs in ski station bathrooms ==> "go and buy something to drink!")
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #887
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
These are the likely reasons ...

(I guess also the prohibition of liquids on board an aircraft is not (only) about liquid explosives threats, but also about having to buy your beverages at the airport or in the aircraft. Or the "not drinking water" signs in ski station bathrooms ==> "go and buy something to drink!")
I took a Japanese domestic flight once, from Tokyo to Matsuyama. They let bring onboard all kinds of liquids, without problems. The "explosive threats" is just an excuse, in the rest of the world.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #888
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9165

Sleeping to cause breech of the peace? Possible if you're snoring too loud
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #889
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Making an official municipal law only to please a certain category of citzens (in this case hotel and restaurant owners) isn't IMHO very democratic. However those kind of rules seems widespread because municipalities always want to please who bring money to the town.
If I go to a place I should be allowed to chose what buy, where eat and where stay. If someone sleeps (at own risk) on a beach or in a park without disturbing nobody and put trash in bins nobody is damaged except hotelkeepers. But this behavior is still illegal in many places expecially popular turistic towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I took a Japanese domestic flight once, from Tokyo to Matsuyama. They let bring onboard all kinds of liquids, without problems. The "explosive threats" is just an excuse, in the rest of the world.
How many years ago? Thie liquid ban on aircraft was indroduced in 2006.
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #890
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

How many years ago? Thie liquid ban on aircraft was indroduced in 2006.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #891
italystf

Well, sometimes checks aren't done properly, expecially on domestic flights. I've heard about people hiding a laptop and other items under their coats to have their luggage lighter and don't pay extra and they hadn't been cauch. It was a low cost flight between Bari and Venice. And there is nothing to laugh about: if they didn't find a laptop, it would be the same if it was a weapon.
About beverage bottles: they could ask you to drink a bit to proof that it's not a poison, but this would be against their business.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #892
legolego
Used

Likes (Received): 937

Italy - Autostrada A21 - near Voghera exit - 45° Parallel North

Old January 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #893
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Well, sometimes checks aren't done properly, expecially on domestic flights. I've heard about people hiding a laptop and other items under their coats to have their luggage lighter and don't pay extra and they hadn't been cauch. It was a low cost flight between Bari and Venice. And there is nothing to laugh about: if they didn't find a laptop, it would be the same if it was a weapon.
About beverage bottles: they could ask you to drink a bit to proof that it's not a poison, but this would be against their business.
In Japan they took my water bottle and put it into a machine to "check" if there was some substance in it. I know that such machine doesn't exist, and I think this show was just to reassure the people.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #894
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza

In Japan they took my water bottle and put it into a machine to "check" if there was some substance in it. I know that such machine doesn't exist, and I think this show was just to reassure the people.
Once in Catania airport they took my bag for a so called "dust check" (controllo delle polveri). They examinated the bag for a couple of seconds with a sort of thing and they said OK. Off course it was a fake check, that bag could be filled with cocaine and they would never notice it.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #895
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3449

last summer i had an internal flight inside Croatia (Zagreb - Zadar). i was carrying few electronic devices in my bag, among which electronic tolling device (my car was waiting me in Zadar) and dinosaur toy (favourite toy of my nephew who forgot it) they didn't expect anything suspicious, so they were very surprised whan saw a lot of batteries on scanner and called me back to identify those devices. when i opened the bag, sympathic older officer has burst himself out laughing when he realized that i am not a terrorist and what amount of stupid things one can have in his bag
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #896
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Once in Frankfurt my baggage was checked by a very frightening big big guy. He barked at me something in German but I was too frightened to answer (and didn't understand German at the time)... he took my backpack and took out everything (I mean, everything)... I had a bunch of receipts from hotels and restaurants (I was on business trip, so I had to keep those for reimbursement) and he scrolled through every one of them, he even took out the book I was reading at the time, "The Silmarillion", and started reading a couple of pages... and it was in Italian!
15 minutes later I was released, and a big "vaffanculo" came out of my mouth...
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #897
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
last summer i had an internal flight inside Croatia (Zagreb - Zadar). i was carrying few electronic devices in my bag, among which electronic tolling device (my car was waiting me in Zadar) and dinosaur toy (favourite toy of my nephew who forgot it) they didn't expect anything suspicious, so they were very surprised whan saw a lot of batteries on scanner and called me back to identify those devices. when i opened the bag, sympathic older officer has burst himself out laughing when he realized that i am not a terrorist and what amount of stupid things one can have in his bag
If sum up the road to the airport, time you spend before the flight in the airport, the flight itself, waiting for the bag at Zadar airport, road to wherever you were going... isn't it faster by car or bus?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #898
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3449

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
If sum up the road to the airport, time you spend before the flight in the airport, the flight itself, waiting for the bag at Zadar airport, road to wherever you were going... isn't it faster by car or bus?
it is, but plane was, believe or not, cheaper.
bus? iyyyyy... i travel by bus only when i need to. and plane was maybe some 15-20€ more expensive.
and as i told - i had a ride back, so i needed one way ticket.
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #899
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

"City of bad roads" - photo posted in the Chisinău thread

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:15 PM   #900
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

Meanwhile between Láchar y Valderrubio (Granada, Spain)…

…Can anyone translate this into English…?

P.D.: Despacio = Slow, Coño = pussy…
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote