daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2016, 06:12 PM   #1961
Valvejoodik

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
speaking about the traffic signs, have you ever seen this sign placed somewhere? (France excluded, I know they use it)

i also find its existance quite obsolete or unneccessary afaik all countries apply right side rule on such crossroads.
Its quite used around here but sometimes where the traffic is low there is just paint instead:
https://www.google.ee/maps/@59.45740...7i13312!8i6656

We also have such signs: "ala" means zone. So the whole area ahead is right-hand priority (and 30kmh limit :P):
https://www.google.ee/maps/@59.38345...7i13312!8i6656
Valvejoodik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:45 PM   #1962
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Wait, all way stops are not common in Europe? It's the most common intersection in Canada and the US, easily. It's so basic I thought it was used essentially everywhere.

I have never seen one in Europe, and I drove in most European countries.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:15 PM   #1963
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

Quote:
i also find its existance quite obsolete or unneccessary afaik all countries apply right side rule on such crossroads.
https://goo.gl/maps/Xnv7mEKXUqG2
It might be helpful when the situation is a bit unclear and you don't expect a crossroad.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:28 PM   #1964
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6794

Quote:
isn't it easier and more clear to put just classic Give way and Priority signs?
Not if you want both streets to have equal priority. Imagine that there is high traffic on both - then you will get gigantic jams on one of them (which happens when the intersection has traffic lights, but they fail and stop working, and the road signs give priority to one of the streets - sometimes if the failure of the traffic lights cannot be fixed quickly, the police "replaces" the traffic lights and gives signals manually).

Then you usually install traffic lights, but there are cases in which the traffic is still not high enough for that (or wasn't high enough in the past, because now, at least in Poland, there is a tendency to put traffic lights everywhere where it's possible, which really slows down travelling through the city).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
They don't (didn't) want foreign pedestrians to use their passageway as shortcut to get around the corner ...
I understand German, I don't understand the reason of this ban.

It's really annoying when there is an open, publicly accessible paved passage, but its owner doesn't allow people use it...

Quote:
Wait, all way stops are not common in Europe? It's the most common intersection in Canada and the US, easily. It's so basic I thought it was used essentially everywhere.
Not in the sense that you have actually 4 STOP signs. We have this sign for that:

And the difference is that STOP actually obliges you to stop, this sign not (you must give way to the one from the right only).

At an intersection without any signs the same rules apply (I am not sure about the UK, from what I have read somewhere, they don't have any rules for such a case - but in most of Europe it is exactly as I have written). At least theoretically, because often when there is no signs, but one of the streets just looks more important, it effectively has priority (but the law, which applies in case of an accident, is different).

And the intersections of paved streets with unpaved streets aren't actually (according to law) intersections, the driver entering the paved road from the unpaved one must give way to everyone on the paved road.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:29 PM   #1965
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Quote:
I've driven in 20 European countries, never seen an all-way / 4-way stop...

Some intersections have STOP signs, but these are usually a minor road crossing a major road. In the Netherlands they sometimes use to for bike path crossings.

Apparently Sweden experimented with all-way stops in the 1980s but abandoned plans to implement it. I do not have much more information about that.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:56 PM   #1966
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

There are some intersections where priority road doesn't have any sign, while non-priority roads have stop/yield signs. That can be tricky unless driver on the priority road recognizes others' signs from behind...
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:58 PM   #1967
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
isn't it easier and more clear to put just classic Give way and Priority signs?
Yes, but that means, one of the roads has priority and drivers need not slow down. That X sign (pretty common in Hungary, too) has the same sense like 4-Stop overseas: cars in all direction have to slow down.
In the neigborhood where my parents live all crossings were converted from classis priority crossing (looked like that) to right-hand-priorty-ones. The main goal was to make traffic slower and calmer.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:00 PM   #1968
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
There are some intersections where priority road doesn't have any sign, while non-priority roads have stop/yield signs. That can be tricky unless driver on the priority road recognizes others' signs from behind...
But exactly that's why both the yield and STOP sign have a shape that can easily be recognized from behind.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 10:09 PM   #1969
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Very unusual in general, most intersections are governed by priority/yield, or priority to the right.

This very topic came up a while back and I did a count of the total number of all-way stops and all-way yield intersections in Sweden. The total is 90 all-way stops (3 or more directions have to stop), and 20 all-way yields.

My city has a total of one all-way stop, first put in place in 2013. Pictures of it:

Stavros86, ChrisZwolle liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:00 PM   #1970
Kpc21

Quote:
It's not legal for such intersections in Poland to exist, but there is still many of them.

In the past it was allowed, now it is no longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
But exactly that's why both the yield and STOP sign have a shape that can easily be recognized from behind.
Yes, but anyway they are not always visible well.
Old January 1st, 2017, 01:32 PM   #1971
Valvejoodik

Likes (Received): 836

Maybe full stops exist in America because of stupid court cases?
Valvejoodik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 01:40 PM   #1972
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

More likely because the US went its own way and never signed the Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals, so they never adopted the concept of priority roads or priority to the right.

Autobahn-mann, AsHalt liked this post
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:41 PM   #1973
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Not if you want both streets to have equal priority. Imagine that there is high traffic on both - then you will get gigantic jams on one of them (which happens when the intersection has traffic lights, but they fail and stop working, and the road signs give priority to one of the streets - sometimes if the failure of the traffic lights cannot be fixed quickly, the police "replaces" the traffic lights and gives signals manually).

Then you usually install traffic lights, but there are cases in which the traffic is still not high enough for that (or wasn't high enough in the past, because now, at least in Poland, there is a tendency to put traffic lights everywhere where it's possible, which really slows down travelling through the city).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Yes, but that means, one of the roads has priority and drivers need not slow down. That X sign (pretty common in Hungary, too) has the same sense like 4-Stop overseas: cars in all direction have to slow down.
In the neigborhood where my parents live all crossings were converted from classis priority crossing (looked like that) to right-hand-priorty-ones. The main goal was to make traffic slower and calmer.
I agree with the fact of calming the traffic. but i still dissagree that giving equal priority results with more fluent traffic. no way for that. frankly, this sign makes all traffic to slow on some 10-20 km/h. that will make the same crowd as stopping (also with Give Way sign you don't need to stop).

the only thing where i find it good is estonian Zone sign. i was recently in Sofia, Bulgaria. in city center they have large network of one-way narrow streets without any sings, and right side rule works perfectly there. the only problem is that me, as a stranger and tourist didn' realize it immidiately, so i stopped before each such intersection. with Zone sign it would be much better.
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:50 PM   #1974
Kpc21

Not more fluent traffic, but equal for all the streets, without prioritizing any of them.

Such zone signs can be often met in Poland at the entrances to car parks of big shopping centres.

Like here: https://goo.gl/maps/tLkpqXQWGHG2

or here: https://goo.gl/maps/HBVjYcSLnMK2

Additional text on this zone sign: "In the are of the Tulipan shopping center the road traffic law applies".
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:56 PM   #1975
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

well, these are the cases just like that estonian where the zone of such intersections is signed. call me stubborn, but i still don't see the reason to make all 4 interesection legs of equal priority unless those are some really minor streets where placing such sign actually isn't neccessary because it is too obvious that all have equal priority.
Old January 1st, 2017, 03:44 PM   #1976
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
speaking about the traffic signs, have you ever seen this sign placed somewhere? (France excluded, I know they use it)

In Finland, yes, in many places. Of course with a yellow background.

Quote:
Some roads have priority over others, as you surely know. Sometimes you may think that you actually are on such a road, even if you aren't. This is when this sign may be needed.
Old January 1st, 2017, 03:51 PM   #1977
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
They can and should be recognised from behind. This is the reason why "yield" signs are the only signs of that shape.

EDIT: someone pointed this out already; moderators may remove this post.
Old January 1st, 2017, 03:52 PM   #1978
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Some roads have priority over others, as you surely know. Sometimes you may think that you actually are on such a road, even if you aren't. This is when this sign may be needed.
Exactly.

And sometimes you really don't want to give priority to one road on another or vice versa. Usually at older intersections still without traffic lights or as a backup for the traffic lights.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:38 PM   #1979
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Not in the sense that you have actually 4 STOP signs. We have this sign for that:

And the difference is that STOP actually obliges you to stop, this sign not (you must give way to the one from the right only).

At an intersection without any signs the same rules apply (I am not sure about the UK, from what I have read somewhere, they don't have any rules for such a case - but in most of Europe it is exactly as I have written). At least theoretically, because often when there is no signs, but one of the streets just looks more important, it effectively has priority (but the law, which applies in case of an accident, is different).

And the intersections of paved streets with unpaved streets aren't actually (according to law) intersections, the driver entering the paved road from the unpaved one must give way to everyone on the paved road.

I've seen only once in life. It was a three roads cross without traffic and let that sign. People was so barely used to it that got confused... I think that enough a yield sign in one road.

Another issue I had when I was practicing to get driving licence was a street cross in my homecity where no signals were located. Obviously, right side with priority... it was an unique case but teacher made me cross that point several times because it was common to go there in exams and... should you do not stop, directly failed.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:56 PM   #1980
Kpc21

In Poland it's not obligatory to stop in such places... Weird that in your country it is obligatory. Or maybe it was about giving priority to someone, not necessarily about stopping.

At my driving license test I had exactly this intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/7kf4wZeds8w - and I stopped there only because the visibility is so bad there that you simply don't see if there is anybody on your right without stopping.

By the way, shortly before this place, there is (or rather, probably, used to be - it should have been removed already, it's long time from 2013) a sign that the priority has been changed a short time ago and the equal priority rule was introduced: https://goo.gl/maps/n4rmAZUJELD2

"Change of priority - applies from 29.04.2013"

It's likely that they changed the rule only because the driving examination centre is close to this place and actually everyone taking the driving test must go through this intersection.

Really, this sign isn't anything exotic in Poland, although you don't meet it at every corner.