daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Closed Thread

Old December 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Kampflamm
Secret Asian

Frankfurt Airport expansion

WIESBADEN, Germany, Dec 18 (Reuters) - Fraport AG (FRAG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) won the green light from German state authorities to expand Frankfurt airport, clearing a major hurdle for the 4 billion-euro ($5.7 billion) project.

The state of Hesse economy ministry said it gave the go-ahead for Fraport to build a fourth runway and a third passenger terminal despite opposition from residents as it battles capacity bottlenecks at Europe's third-biggest hub.

"Only through this will Frankfurt remain one of the eight most important air transport hubs in the world," said Hesse economy minister Alois Rhiel on Tuesday.

Frankfurt airport is expected to handle some 54 million passengers this year, but Fraport sees that figure rising to more than 88 million in 2020 with passenger numbers growing some 3.5 percent annually.

Demand for aircraft take-offs and landings is likely to rise to about 700,000 by 2020 from 489,000 in 2006, Fraport has said. Cargo and mail tonnage carried is also seen up more than 70 percent to 3.16 million metric tonnes in 2020.

As a condition for the expansion approval, the state economy ministry said it would set a maximun limit of 17 flights a night on average between 2300 and 0500 local time, compared with 41 flights last year.

Night flights on the new runway would not be allowed.

Fraport had previously agreed to introduce a complete ban on night flights at Frankfurt airport during those hours to compensate residents for extra noise from the expansion.

German airline Deutsche Lufthansa (LHAG.DE: Quote, Profile, Research), whose Lufthansa Cargo air freight carrier also has its base at Frankfurt and which owns almost 10 percent of Fraport, had called for permission for 41 flights a night.

A spokesman for Lufthansa said on Tuesday it was "far too early" to reach a final judgement on the planning approval but that it planned further comment in January after examining the decision more closely.

"BITTER PILL"

Holiday airline Condor, which is majority owned by tourism firm Thomas Cook (TCG.L: Quote, Profile, Research) but being sold to Air Berlin (AB1.DE: Quote, Profile, Research), said the decision on night flights was a "fatal signal" for the German air transport industry.

The reduction in night flights, which includes a total ban on passenger services between 0100 and 0400, was a "bitter pill" for Condor that would harm its competitiveness, Condor Managing Director Christoph Debus said in a statement.

Fraport and Hesse conservative state premier Roland Koch had previously pledged to introduce a complete ban on night flights at Frankfurt airport to compensate residents for extra noise from the expansion.

Koch defended the fact the approval did not include a total ban on Tuesday and said the decision was justifiable.

But opposition SPD state head Andrea Ypsilanti said her party still wanted a night ban as a condition of the expansion and said it was considering legal action against the decision.

The German state of Hesse owns 31.6 percent of Fraport, while the city of Frankfurt holds 20 percent of the stock.

Fraport Chief Executive Wilhelm Bender said in a statement on Tuesday he was confident about upcoming court rulings on cases against airport expansion that were expected to follow.

He added that Fraport would not start building before the administrative court at Kassel, Germany concludes fast-track proceedings relating to the project.

"Fraport will rely on the court rulings enabling good prospects for the future," Fraport said.

Fraport shares were 0.5 percent lower at 53.40 euros by 1544 GMT, underperforming a 0.8 percent rise on the German mid-cap index .

The new runway to the northwest of Frankfurt airport is due to come into operation by 2011.

The third terminal to the south of the airport, which will raise the airport's current capacity of 56 million passengers annually by 25 million, is expected to come around 2013/14.

http://www.reuters.com/article/tnBas...BrandChannel=0
Kampflamm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old December 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Kampflamm
Secret Asian

New stuff: Landebahn Nordwest, Terminal 3, and the A380 repair hangar

Old December 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #3
erbse
Front Bull

Likes (Received): 18835

Great, suck those critics FraPort

I hope there isn't any rare horseshoe bat species which has to be protected. Frankfurt needs this expansion!
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #4
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 71

Kampflamm, you have postet the wrong rendering.

Thats the real one : Frankfurt World Central (or something like this...)

pflo777 no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #5
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 7

If FRA hadn't built that ridiculous Rwy. 18 they could have built two parallel runways south of the new Terminal three and had an optimum setup for many years into the future.
Unfortunately due to the departure flows off Rwy. 18 they couldn't use this setup and will be stuck with this ridiculous orphan runway.
yyzhyd no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM   #6
erbse
Front Bull

Likes (Received): 18835

Well, I just hope they reconsider a min wiser about the design of Terminal 3... It looks as awful as Mies' National Gallery in Berlin Who wants to leave of such a crap?
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #7
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

... This is a joke, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
The one pflo777 posted is what is being built yes?
Mr. Fusion no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #8
Kampflamm
Secret Asian

Ehm no. My rendering's the one.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM   #9
pflo777
BANNED

Atomrofl.....................

(I should become an airport designer....)

@Mr.Fusion : You like my version?

Last edited by pflo777; December 23rd, 2007 at 01:56 AM.
pflo777 no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:18 AM   #10
pflo777
BANNED

I found another pic of that retarded extension:

pflo777 no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:40 AM   #11
mbuildings
BANNED

Likes (Received): 51

very good news for germany
mbuildings no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM   #12
Anekdote

Likes (Received): 8

haha the current expansion plans are really retarted

I also prefer pflo777's render.
Anekdote no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM   #13
EK413

Likes (Received): 544

Im sure if Frankfurt airport relocated the parrallel runways they could build a NEW central terminal with remote concourses... There is room to space the runways and now would be a good time to go ahead with it instead of going ahead with T3 and the new 4th runway... Just my 2 cents...
Old December 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM   #14
Kampflamm
Secret Asian

What exactly is "retarded" about the expansion? Seems like you guys are experts on this matter so I'd like to hear your opinion.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM   #15
pflo777
BANNED

if you believe it or not, but I really did that for money for a while....

Nevertheless I wouldnt call my self an expert.

The Problem with the new layout is mainly that it took 10 years to get to the point where we are right now ( a new runway became necessary already in the early 2000`s) and it is foreseeable that the new capacities wont be enough in 10 years from now again.

The Munich airport extension for example will be able to handle the same amount of flights or even slightly more on just 3 runways.

There is a reason, why there is some kind of "international standart airport" with a generally always identical looking layout all over the world :
Because its efficient, when it comes to ground handling as well as air capacity, its sofisticted and you can always extend it.
And that layout is named after its "grandfather"---Atlanta International airport.

And thats what I made "my" rendering after....

In ten years from now, we`ll see, but I am almost 100% surethat on the long run, FRAPORT will be in the defensive again....

The layout that they have right now for their extension is a 100% political one, and not an option that you would go for, if you would have to decide after economical aspects..
I even go one step furhter: The now realised extension hinders the airport in 10 years from now to make an extension, that would allow it to keep on playing in the mayor leage.

Last edited by pflo777; December 23rd, 2007 at 03:35 PM.
pflo777 no está en línea  
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #16
Kampflamm
Secret Asian

You may be right, but I'm sure the guys at Fraport aren't morons either. There probably are some sort of limits to what they're allowed to use as space for expansions. If not, then they should build what you proposed.
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #17
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Ehm no. My rendering's the one.
Apologies, I honestly thought that image was a joke. pflo's photoshop job looked more realistic, not sure why...

Like you said, I can only assume this extension is due to land restraints, and if they are that short on space this would probably be the last piece of the aerodrome before an entirely new one is constructed elsewhere in the future. And when that happens I can only assume it will take a runway layout similar to Munich's and BBI, like pflo drew. Fraport's runway complex is military old-school.

Mr. Fusion no está en línea  
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #18
abskess
Mega Davao Area, Phils.

Likes (Received): 5

any actual pictures?
abskess no está en línea  
Old December 24th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #19
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 103

I see two separate plans for the Frankfurt Airport expansion:

*One involving a runway northwest of the airport
*One involving a 4th terminal and 2 additional runways south of the airport

Why don't you try combining these two plans and see how you like it?
Jim856796 está en línea ahora  
Old December 24th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #20
BMXican

Likes (Received): 2

can someone post pics of the new terminal 3?

also has anyone information about the new terminal A0? is it under construction already?

the expansion not only include the new runway and the new terminal, there are also several other projects.
BMXican no está en línea  

Closed Thread