daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM   #201
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

fantastic! absolutely stunning! what a level of detail! great!
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:34 AM   #202
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Heres one i did in a free period 45 min class.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #203
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

Arrgh, I need a scanner....

Anyway, here's some phone camera pics of a few parts of my maps. Each one is about 20cm wide roughly. They don't bring out the detailing very well though. The quality is horrible. They'll do for now I suppose. And ignore the black spot, it's a lens stain I can't get rid of.

Note that I use the term motorway as a generalisation for any road with grade separation, of 2x2 lanes or above, with a hardshoulder, and with all free-flowing interchanges (except at terminuses). Freeway is when I specifically mean that the motorway in question is free to use, tollway when it needs a toll.

Double decked structure (one motorway on top another, both 5x5) makes a turn. Long distance tollway is on top level, local high capacity freeway is underneath. A distributor motorway breaks off here as well.

Small island in middle of downtown river. Motorway river crossing passes over. This is meant to be a bottleneck, the bridge is only 3x3 and connects several high capacity long-distance roads on either side.

2 parallel motorways (one toll, one local). Small distributor motorway passes underneath.

The previous double decked structure and parallel motorways intersect, along with a cross-country tollway heading off North-East. The upper deck tollway heading E-W has no exits or entrances here, enabling the long-distance drivers it carries to avoid the frequent congestion.

Same interchange. This thing is effectively 10-way, but is no way complete. Better to regard it as 5-way. The different widths of carriageway imply that this interchange expanded as the number of motorways passing through it rose, and the traffic using it increased. Now it is a haphazard sprawl of ramps and flyovers.

High capacity 6-way interchange with local unclassified distributor structure to the North West. To the North, the two now parallel motorways from the previous double decker structure merge before the slip roads start. The E-W motorway features as North-South on the previous interchange.

The 2 parallel motorways seen earlier interchange with the start of a cross-country tollway and a huge gyratory, 10 lanes wide. This image is upside-down (oops).

3 Parallel motorways squeeze in to one tunnel. North of this is the big 10-way.

Several motorways are distributed into a tunnel towards downtown, in the middle of a riverside industrial area.

Local distribution motorways in the suburbs.

I'll be happy to take some more snaps if people want them. Thanks!

nick.english.dept liked this post
Exethalion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM   #204
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

Unreal!Well I have 2 new

Hope you like them
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM   #205
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
Hope you like them
A lot.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:31 AM   #206
Exethalion
Remember Me

Hmm, in the top interchange, why do you have two ramps serving A3SE-A6NE? Good work anyway!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #207
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Great work guys. Keep it up
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:18 AM   #208
Exethalion
Remember Me

Some more pics. Again, sorry for the crap quality. I may have access to a scanner soon though!

One end of the big gyratory, with various highways and motorways passing through.

Parallel Motorways in the Business District.

One of the city's university campuses, with a marina.

Distributor motoray runs northward on the left, eventually to the gyratory which accesses the parallel long-distance motorways on the right.

More distributors pass over a river, this area has undergone large regeneration from the previous slums.

Yet another distributor in the Business District

3 parallel motorways. Left one is a high-capacity freeway which forms the major ringway round the city. Middle one is a cross-country tollway. Right one is a long-distance tollway. A highway passes over here.

Double decked dual motorway structure intersects with a distributor and surface streets. The long-distance tollway on the upper deck has only a single entrance and exit here. Lower deck is a high-capacity freeway.

The city's largest (potential) 10-way interchange. (Zoomed out more than other pics)

Inner Suburb/Inner City fringe.

Opposite side of gyratory, with large interchange with the big parallel motorways, and a cross-country.

2 Distributors meet in an older part of town.
-really low quality picture removed-

Please tell me what you think!
Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM   #209
deranged
okay then

Likes (Received): 167

Great work everyone!

I found this in the the New Zealand section - by Jarbury.

Beware, Jarbury's full-size version (http://www.angelfire.com/tv/jarbury/Baba_City.jpg) is a single 70MB image. You've been warned...
If you want to see it and your computer can handle the file size, don't click on the link, but rather, right-click on the link and save the file to your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
OK here's a chance to "show off" what I do in quite a lot of my spare time. Well, at least what I've done for the past 6-7 months.

When I was younger I found myself fascinated by street maps, I remember actually getting an Auckland street map for Christmas when I was 10 or 11 and loving it. I then started to create my own cities, and they've slowly evolved over the years. The basis for this one I drew when I was around 13-14... in a good old 1A5 exercise book. Last year I scanned it in and started patching up the mistakes and where pages didn't match up. Over time I really wanted to redraw the whole thing, and that's what I've ended up doing.... and obviously expanding it big time.

Below is (believe it or not) a WAY small version.

Here's a link to the proper size version. Beware it is like 70 MB, but it is really the only way to make sense out of it. Red lines are motorways, purple lines are the train system. The scale is 1:12500, which is 1cm = 125m. I think that means the city is approx 60-70 km across and 20 km north-south. The central area would be quite dense, as would be many of the suburbs (you guys know me), so I'm guessing a population of about 3 million so far. It's still not complete, and hopefully I'll update things as they come along.

http://www.angelfire.com/tv/jarbury/Baba_City.jpg

And yes, being the nerd that I am, I've even created a diagram of the train system. I've got further details in an excel document, but I'll spare the details of that for now.

Sorry if these take forever to load. I can make adjustments if necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Suburb names come from everywhere.... I think largely from parts of London, New York and Los Angeles. Probably a few other places thrown in too. Pretty cool you did them too, I've seen others who have done maps but never quite in the same way as me. I guess I'm trying to create some sort of realistic utopia. I really love my transit system though.

Close up of the CBD:

I can show close ups of other areas if people are interested. It's probably an easier way than to open the 70 MB jpeg file.
Amazing work by Jarbury!

Last edited by deranged; February 22nd, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
deranged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #210
SCWTC4
NYC fan

Likes (Received): 94

3 years ago i was working on something similar, unfortunately one day i forgot to close the window in my room and a strong wind take away the drawing.
i'd never found it
(it's not a joke, it really happens )

- ... And now no longer ! -
SCWTC4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #211
bgplayer19

So unfair ;(
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM   #212
Exethalion
Remember Me

I managed to splill a jug full of gravy all over one of the pages from the city I'm drawing above. Luckily the lines had imprinted on the page below so I traced them out and resurrected it!
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #213
timidtiger
i'm a good boy

It's great to see people doing similar things!
I always thought that I was the only one aswell, I've drawn my own town since I was 9.
Here is the citycenter of my fantasytown.
It is just a small part of the whole town.

timidtiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #214
norscand

Likes (Received): 40

Well done, timidtiger! Can you share more maps of your own?
norscand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #215
just_a_guy
Wait, what!?

Likes (Received): 209

Wow i'm impressed at the fact that there are people that draw these kinds of things for fun! I thought I was the only one. Nice work everyone.

I have some drawings to show myself. I don't only draw roads from a "google maps" point of view. I also like going 3D.

Here's one I haven't finished yet. These things take for ever to draw becuase of all the small details.

Hopefully the links work becuase i've never used imageshack before.

Let me know what you think
just_a_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #216
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

This thread is depressive. It only reminds me how I suck in drawing. Lock.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #217
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post
Let me know what you think
I think these drawings are great, impressing attention to details. The crashbarriers are excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso
It only reminds me how I suck in drawing
Suck at. Not that I'm picky or something.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #218
ARGYRO
The Edge of Universe

Likes (Received): 118

This thread is just amazing ... Since I was a kid I´ve been drawing lots of avenues, highways. Now I got nine notebooks full of that stuff.

Last edited by ARGYRO; May 16th, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
ARGYRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #219
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Suck at. Not that I'm picky or something.
Suck @.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #220
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

very great additions by argyro, justaguy and timidtiger! great level of details
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote