daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Old January 25th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #41
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
So does this mean that the new double deckers will remain double deckers when they need to be replaced? i.e. Is London still buying new double deckers?
Oh yeah, of course.

Bendy Buses/Single Deckers simply could not be used on most London routes.

I've seen quite a few brand new Double Deckers...the number 24 (i think) from Hampstead Heath to....somwhere is a double deck eco bus

Sponsored Links

Old January 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #42
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1210

Boris Johnson is a populist dick who'll say anything to get into power.

That bus look ridiculous.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #43
marrio415

Boris johnson is a muppet anyone who votes for him is a muppet the guy doesn't have a clue hell he can't even sping a sentence together.Leave ken in charge,yes he's made mistakes but he is a damn site better than borris 'themuppet' johnson
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #44
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 60

I fear Boris will get the job.

I have nothing against a conservative mayor, just not Boris. He has a rubbish track record for showing any concern in the city and refuses to give up his own constituency despite running in the race. Idiots will vote for him out of personality rather than substance. Idiots will not vote for Ken because of media campaigns. And Paddock is a Ken-lite who stumbles to answer questions properly.

What hope is there?
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #45
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Most Londoners don't have a clue what's good for London.
correct.
Noostairz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #46
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

I don't see the point myself. It's like the New Beetle, it may have been made in tribute to the original, but it is in all but name another vehicle.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #47
dronkula

This isn't 'Boris Johnsons Green Routemaster' plan anyway.

This is Autocar magazine asking a designer to come redesign the Routemasters to make them look more modern, and then showing them to Boris Johnson who's just said 'Oh - that's a Jolly Good Plan! Yes! I like them'.

I really *really* doubt he actually sat down and looked at the economics of it, how much they'd cost and if they'd be more reliable than the current buses in London and that's reliable not just in 'do they break down?' but reliable as in - can people get on and off them quickly enough so that the buses can stick to the timetable.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #48
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 14

^ You're quite correct. I saw him in an interview on BBC's London news recently, and he was quite cheesed off when the reporter mentioned it was his idea. He said basically he was shown the plans and bumbled on in his usual way on it being a good idea (in general) but that was about it.

Amazing how the media can twist things around.

And more amazing how we all just fall for it time and time again.
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM   #49
hammerlife

Likes (Received): 0

The Bus Looks funky but never would I like to see it in London
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No
Maybe? No
Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:27 AM   #50
mk61
Methinks therefore meam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Amazing how the media can twist things around.
It's amazing how he helps them do it.
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM   #51
and-r

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
Boris johnson is a muppet anyone who votes for him is a muppet the guy doesn't have a clue hell he can't even sping a sentence together.
ah! the very definition of irony.
and-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #52
dronkula

Well, it looks like he's still thinking about this.

Some thoughts on this, what's the point in having a 'public competition' to design something so incredibly technical as a new bus when the winning design will need to be, you know, actually achievable.

Surely, a serious competition for this would be the Mayor starting the tendering process for a new fleet of buses with bus makers with the specification being 'Iconic, open platform rear access, environmentally friendly double decker bus' rather than, what is basically, a Blue Peter competition.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ter/article.do

Quote:
£25,000 prize to design the new Routemaster
David Williams and Pippa Crerar

A top prize of £25,000 was on offer today for whoever designs the best new Routemaster bus.

Mayor Boris Johnson also announced two "runner up" prizes of £10,000 each as part of his quest to find London an "iconic" successor to the famous red bus killed off by his predecessor.

Mr Johnson, who wants to rid streets of bendy buses, told the Standard he was looking for a "21st century version" of the Routemaster.

Designs must include an open platform to let passengers board and alight "quickly and easily" just like the old one's. The winning design must also show "good use of interior space", include green technology and have a conductor.

Prizes will be awarded in October. Mr Johnson said: "London deserves a bus fit for the 21st century. Whether you're a professional designer or someone who uses buses and has one great idea, we want to hear from you."

Peter Hendy, London's Transport Commissioner, said: "This provides a fantastic opportunity to play a part in designing a new icon for London."

Entrants must submit a design to one of two categories. Category A - "design a bus for London"' - invites people to submit a design for a specific part of the bus, or for an entire vehicle.

Designs must be detailed and accompanied by a number of drawings as well as written documents providing "reasoning and more detailed descriptions".

Category B asks designers to "imagine a bus for London". Entrants can design an entire bus or individual features. Judges here will look for the best ideas rather than detailed designs and entries will be judged in four age groups - under 11, 11-15, 16-18 and over 18. The rules specify a "stylish, imaginative design which will have a big impact on the streets".

The closing date for entries is noon on 19 September. The cash prizes are for "whole vehicle" entries to Category A. Merit prizes will be available for the best ideas for parts of the bus.
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #53
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 1

not gonna happen.
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #54
sirstan74

Likes (Received): 64

25 grand to design a new bus? Well that's really going to get all the bus companies excited!
sirstan74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #55
dronkula

Unsurprisingly, on the Evening Standard website they havent published the comments I made about the story basically calling the whole thing a pointless PR exercise and nothing more than a glorified Blue Peter competition which wont actually result in a new bus.

Strange that...
Old July 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #56
staticmeltdown

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronkula View Post
Unsurprisingly, on the Evening Standard website they havent published the comments I made about the story basically calling the whole thing a pointless PR exercise and nothing more than a glorified Blue Peter competition which wont actually result in a new bus.

Strange that...
Evening Standard is part of the Daily Mail group... which don't let you make any comments that they don't agree with.. yet they still like to claim that we being crushed under Stalanist style censorship by the "PC Brigade" / Labour
staticmeltdown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #57
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 18

I don’t want but out a bad note. I am displeased with the idea of catering to such a small number of people. I know mobility impaired population is growing and they need transport. But making every from transport accessible to every type of person really economical. What is the rate or return. What do they contribute back. I really don't want to sound harsh but this looked at. Rather just saying access for all lets consider the best way to move people and focus on that. There will be always be people who gain less. But was cost a greater number of people just for the advantage of a few.

That said bring also in a bus just because people have a emotional attachment to the past seems like a huge waste of funds, time and effort. You should use what ever can get the job done most efficiently. I really hope this entire scheme falls over and proves that it’s the wrong direction to take.

Also I said before I think. There are few route which have the demand and need the bendy capacity that have low bridges (common enough in london). Hence double decker, route master or not can't be used.

And 25 grand ? What like a bride ! Cant any one do their own work these days. Its like a radio show that relies on listen to call with stories rather than write their own material ?
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #58
delores

Likes (Received): 110

I have to agree. But I guess it's 'public' transport for everybody, but I do agree we are pandering to a very small minority at a great cost.
Regarding the bus Idea, I think Boris should of done a competition through the tendering process not ask any old person to come up with a sillly design that won't get built. Its a waste of time and money.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #59
pupjake

I couldn't disagree more with the previous two posts.

People with one form of disability or other form a very substantial minority of the population indeed. I can completely understand that the Tube will probably take decades to make fully accessible, and therefore the bus network must be fully accessible NOW.

As for the comment about 'how much they contribute back', you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself!!! If there weren't quite so many barriers to disabled people working put up by people like you, who don't see them as valuable and unique individuals but rather as an inconvenience to the rest of society, perhaps more would be able to contribute more in a purely economic sense. I'd like to see you try to make comments like that to the face of someone like Dame Tanni Grey-Thomson, or Evelyn Glennie, or Stevie Wonder and not get a smack in the mouth!
pupjake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #60
taikoo.city
ぴったん,ラーラーもじぴったん~~

Hey, do you guys think the Routemaster is an icon of London, and do
you think it should be retreived (or preserved)?

> Hong Kong is still part of the United Kingdom!! Please help BN(O)s to get what they deserve~~

> MTR North Island Line Discussion Thread
taikoo.city no está en línea   Reply With Quote