daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #81
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I regard this tower as a big disappointment when I compare the final product to the rendering.
I think it looks good, but id have to agree. The rendering made me think the crown would be really strong and thick, but it comes off looking somewhat like an afterthought, and a bit weak. Still looks nice.
MDguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #82
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Are you calling me an idiot?and if so for what reason?
He called a spammer an idiot. I deleted the spam post before you read his post.

Tower is looking great
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #83
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Grabbed a nice shot from the official webcam.

This is a money shot. Looks badass.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #84
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Sorry, but it looks like a bunch of weird hoops stuck on top of a bland 1960's box.
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #85
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Sorry, but it looks like a bunch of weird hoops stuck on top of a bland 1960's box.
Hater.

BTW, Cincy is one of America's great cities.
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #86
Ni3lS

How is that looking like a 60's box
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #87
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
How is that looking like a 60's box
The styling mainly. There is some subtlety in the massing but those vertical mullions look like practically anything on Ave. of The Americas...
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #88
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

can someone in cincy or northern KY take a panarama of the cincy skyline with this in it?

k thnx bye
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #89
Ni3lS

Hmm. When I think of 60's boxes I think of concrete goldbrown colored etc. This one looks nice and glassy
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #90
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Hmm. When I think of 60's boxes I think of concrete goldbrown colored etc. This one looks nice and glassy
This is what I mean:

Citibank Building on Park Ave. c.1964

And the new Queen City Square:
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #91
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The International-Style buildings in Midtown are far more elegant than this. For a city that builds one skyscraper every ten years (and a short one at that), they needed a homerun. In reality, however, they reached first base with a bunt.

My disappointment would not be so acute were it not for the fact that I expected something magnificent based upon the renderings.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #92
Dale

I thought it turned out better than the rendering myself. Besides, 99.9% of the population isn't going to carp about this building. They will recognize it as a Cincy icon on the par with an ESB or a Chrysler.
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #93
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
.... 99.9% of the population isn't going to carp about this building. They will recognize it as a Cincy icon on the par with an ESB or a Chrysler.
In that case, they're utterly delusional. Their minds have been twisted by right-wing Tea Party rhetoric.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #94
Dale

Quote:
In that case, they're utterly delusional. Their minds have been twisted by right-wing Tea Party rhetoric.
What a silly thing to say. 92.2% of the people who say things like, "I really like that building, especially the top. It screams Cincinnati!" will not be Tea Party members.

On the other hand, I was 100% sure you'd say something like that.
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #95
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
The International-Style buildings in Midtown are far more elegant than this. For a city that builds one skyscraper every ten years (and a short one at that), they needed a homerun. In reality, however, they reached first base with a bunt.

My disappointment would not be so acute were it not for the fact that I expected something magnificent based upon the renderings.
Exactly. Thank you.

But this isn't so much an indictment of Cincinnati or the people there but rather a developer who bargained for a cheap tower with a little "grace note" at the top hoping that combining the two would create something iconic. What resulted is an achingly banal skyscraper with a dodgy (and terrible btw) crown. but if people in Cincy really believe that this mutt constitutes an " icon on the par with an ESB or a Chrysler", then that reflects a state of taste that indeed correlates with the city's overall place in the world.
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #96
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Oh, and the 13 story stump to the side truly gives away the developer's intentions of building cheap bulk office space without regard to the site or to Cincinnati's rich architectural history.
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #97
Dale

Quote:
Oh, and the 13 story stump to the side truly gives away the developer's intentions of building cheap bulk office space without regard to the site or to Cincinnati's rich architectural history.
Can you think of very many of the more recent highrises in Cincy that have knocked it out of the park ? When you think of Cincy's rich architectural history, you're going back a bit. More recent highrises have been pinstripe conservative. At least this one goes beyond that.

Besides, this is America. Nationally, we're a johnny-come-lately to truly groundbreaking highrise design the past few decades (with notable exceptions).
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #98
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The P&G twins by Kohn Pederson Fox were an example of Cincinnati reaching out for top quality (for its time) design. The post war Terrace Hilton was a great example of moderne architecture and yes, the rest largely predates the war.

Sadly, the cost of labor in the US means that we will forever lack quantity of skyscrapers in most cities so quality has to be a top priority. This was a wasted opportunity. Just stacking those 13 stories of flat top crap into the tower would have at least given the building more prominence. Articulating the facade and creating an interseting base would have helped also. And a proper spire instead of that ridiculous tiara would have made a stronger statement. This thing just reeks of 'second tier', 'second-level' and fifth form. Maybe some pretty LEDs will help, who knows?
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #99
Dale

Quote:
The P&G twins by Kohn Pederson Fox were an example of Cincinnati reaching out for top quality (for its time) design. The post war Terrace Hilton was a great example of moderne architecture and yes, the rest largely predates the war.

Sadly, the cost of labor in the US means that we will forever lack quantity of skyscrapers in most cities so quality has to be a top priority. This was a wasted opportunity. Just stacking those 13 stories of flat top crap into the tower would have at least given the building more prominence. Articulating the facade and creating an interseting base would have helped also. And a proper spire instead of that ridiculous tiara would have made a stronger statement. This thing just reeks of 'second tier', 'second-level' and fifth form. Maybe some pretty LEDs will help, who knows?
You protest too much. Most of the highrises going up in our global city, NYC, are banal.

And the only thing ridiculous about the tiara is that it's just more Diana-worship.
Old October 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #100
linum

Likes (Received): 664

Will this be the 2nd tallest tower in Ohio? Over the Key Tower in Cleveland?
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote