daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #101
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

The massing is the only issue with this building. If the mid section was another 10 stories it would look a LOT better.

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #102
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
... For a city that builds one skyscraper every ten years (and a short one at that), they needed a homerun. In reality, however, they reached first base with a bunt.
That's why the PHILLIES beat them yesterday!
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #103
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Haters.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #104
540_804
VA is for LOVERS!

Likes (Received): 90

For some reason I thought the crown would be a little more...idk...substantial.
540_804 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #105
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Haters.
I agree that people are being too hard on this, but honestly, are you not disappointed yourself in the crown? (unless it isn't finished yet, and wayyyy unfinished at that) The way it was rendered gave it the appearance of much thicker steel, and I actually thought it was going to be glassed over.

I saw it with my own eyes (contributed an update on page 4). It would have looked much better with 5-10 more floors. There is nothing wrong with the cladding; for me it's all about the shoddy looking crown. It reminds me of the "steel cage mess" on top of the BOA in Atlanta. Luckily, it appeared to be built at the bottom of a hill, so it shares the top of the skyline with the timeless Carew Tower rather than dominate it on its own. Speaking of which, can somebody get some new skyline shots of Cincy please?

To the person who asked if this was going to be the 2nd tallest in Ohio, it is the 3rd tallest behind the Key Tower and Terminal Tower, both in Cleveland.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #106
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I agree that people are being too hard on this, but honestly, are you not disappointed yourself in the crown? (unless it isn't finished yet, and wayyyy unfinished at that) The way it was rendered gave it the appearance of much thicker steel, and I actually thought it was going to be glassed over.

I saw it with my own eyes (contributed an update on page 4). It would have looked much better with 5-10 more floors. There is nothing wrong with the cladding; for me it's all about the shoddy looking crown. It reminds me of the "steel cage mess" on top of the BOA in Atlanta. Luckily, it appeared to be built at the bottom of a hill, so it shares the top of the skyline with the timeless Carew Tower rather than dominate it on its own. Speaking of which, can somebody get some new skyline shots of Cincy please?

To the person who asked if this was going to be the 2nd tallest in Ohio, it is the 3rd tallest behind the Key Tower and Terminal Tower, both in Cleveland.
Well, I would have like to have seen a few more stories myself. But I happen to think the 'tiara' turned out better than the renders. Sure, the tower itself is conservative, but so are 99% of American highrises.
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #107
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Maybe it will look better once the sign blocks out the mechanicals on the roof. Also, a good lighting scheme could do a lot to change perception.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #108
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1333

Quote:
The International-Style buildings in Midtown are far more elegant than this. For a city that builds one skyscraper every ten years (and a short one at that), they needed a homerun. In reality, however, they reached first base with a bunt.

My disappointment would not be so acute were it not for the fact that I expected something magnificent based upon the renderings.
what the hell ? is this baseball or what?
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #109
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
what the hell ? is this baseball or what?
No, it's a guy from a city which had a unique, once-once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to replace the little-loved WTC, and did so with a box which achieves its height with the aid of a donut.
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #110
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The warped, tea-party mentality of Cincinnati residents is demonstrated by their reactions to this thread. It's an ultra, ultra conservative, cult-like city.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #111
MDguy

Quote:
The warped, tea-party mentality of Cincinnati residents is demonstrated by their reactions to this thread. It's an ultra, ultra conservative, cult-like city.
The tea party got nothing to do with it, brah.

I've always been curious why liberals are so quick to point the finger at republicans in the most irrelevant, and especially politically irrelevant, situations.
MDguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #112
Dale

Quote:
That's twice you've pulled down your drawers and spanked your own bare bottom. Cincy has a Democrat mayor. And NYC elected a Republican.
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #113
RobertWalpole
BANNED

NY Republicans are more liberal than Democrats outside of the Northeast. When Giuliani was mayor, he supported gay marriage, gun control and was pro-choice.
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #114
RobertWalpole
BANNED

xyz!!!

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 12th, 2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #115
Dale

Quote:
NY Republicans are more liberal than Democrats outside of the Northeast. When Giuliani was mayor, he supported gay marriage, gun control and was pro-choice.
You're obsessed with politics when we're talking skyscrapers. But you're right, look what liberal politics did for NYC - got it a new tallest with a donut on top!
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #116
RobertWalpole
BANNED

xyz!!!!!

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 12th, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #117
Dale

Quote:
Like this nutcase, you're not proliferating a good image for your right-wing city.

That's three times you've embarrassed yourself now. I'm not a Cincinnatian. I live in Florida. And I doubt that Boehner, who is not significantly different than your preferred candidate, had, I'll bet, zero to do with the design of Queen City Square.

You're a glutton for self-immolation.
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #118
RobertWalpole
BANNED

You're obviously a rural yahoo from Ohio -- like Boehner.

Do they serve Koolaid at the Tea Parties, and do you wear 18th Century clothes like the other nuts who attend?

Cincinnati Chapter of the Republican Party and Tea Party: They stand for "Ahmeehricahn" Values

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 13th, 2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #119
Dale

Quote:
You're obviously a rural yahoo from Ohio -- like Boehner.

Do they serve Koolaid at the Tea Parties, and do you wear 18th Century clothes like the other nuts who attend?
You really don't have the resources to carry on a meaningful discussion of any sort do you ? How does it feel being humiliated publicly by trailer park trash ?
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #120
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

YAWN. Really guys?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote