daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #641
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Its called the point. Its approved for the end of boylston st in the fenway area on the triangular parcel where boylston st meets brookline avenue. Going to be much taller than anything in the area and it was recently approved. Retail in the first floor the whole 9 yards. You can see the citgo sign if you look down boylston in the render that should help you visualize about where its going.

aquaticko, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #642
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Tall orders for skyline

https://twitter.com/bostonglobe

Quote:
Winthrop Square proposals aim high

A new Financial District tower could reshape the Boston skyline under competing redevelopment proposals for the shuttered Winthrop Square garage.

Eight development teams are vying to change the city’s skyscraper hierarchy with a superstructure as high as 780 feet that would rival the 750-foot Prudential and 790-foot Hancock towers in the Back Bay.

The Walsh administration in February called for new proposals for the city-owned garage where former Mayor Thomas M. Menino once envisioned a 1,000-foot building. That call came after Trans Nat
ional Group — which originally planned a 1,000-foot project at the site in 2006 — had restarted city talks last fall about a smaller 740-foot project.

Trans National and a host of other well-known Boston developers submitted proposals Monday. They include:

HYM Investment Group: A public plaza amid a new 500-seat St. Anthony Shrine Church, a new Friary and Ministry Center, and a new 50,000-square-foot Boston public school. The current St. Anthony Shrine on Arch Street would be replaced with a 780-foot, 69-story tower with 700 apartments and condos.

Accordia Partners: A 750-foot tower with 140 condos, a 275-room Le Meridien hotel, retail, civic space and a public gallery.

Lend Lease Development, Hudson Group North America and Eagle Development Group: A 750-foot, 68-story tower with innovation economy offices, 156 condos, 288 apartments, a 300-room hotel, retail and a public green.

Millennium Partners: A 750-foot tower with 360 residential units atop 14 stories of office space, 41,000 square feet of retail, a market arcade “winter garden” with artisanal vendors, restaurants and performance activity that Millennium compares to Leadenhall Arcade in London’s Financial District.

Trans National Properties: A 740-foot, 54-story tower with 700,000 square feet of innovation economy offices, apartments, 100 condos, 300 hotel rooms, a retail-lined public galleria, and a Boston Public Market outpost. It would also have a 21,500-square-foot Entrepreneur Innovation Center, an Innovation Sculpture Park and Innovators Walk of Fame. It would combine the site with 133 Federal St.

Fallon Co.: Two residential buildings on a street-level retail podium: a larger 700-foot, 53-story building with 32 floors of apartments and 18 floors of condos; and a smaller 75-foot apartment building. Plans call for a galleria-style open concourse with 25,000-plus square feet for shops.

Trinity Acquisitions: A 51-story tower with 328 apartments, 261 condos, a 276-room hotel and retail.

Lincoln Property Co.: A 47-story tower with 29 floors of office space, a 250 to 300-room hotel, six floors of condos, and retail.

------------------------------

aquaticko, erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; April 15th, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #643
Sterlyng65

Likes (Received): 45

That building fits right in with the skyline

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Sterlyng65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #644
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2094

Copied from Archboston, more proposals for 111 Federal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post
Long Globe article
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...OTL/story.html

Accordia

Fallon

Millennium

CBT

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #645
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

Bit of a waste of a flatiron lot to put a glass box in there. They could have at least curved the base.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #646
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
Its called the point. Its approved for the end of boylston st in the fenway area on the triangular parcel where boylston st meets brookline avenue. Going to be much taller than anything in the area and it was recently approved. Retail in the first floor the whole 9 yards. You can see the citgo sign if you look down boylston in the render that should help you visualize about where its going.
Found it. You weren't joking--there's nothing even close to it in height. Boston's skyline seems like it's growing proportionately like LA's is. Good for both cities!

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #647
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post

Bit of a waste of a flatiron lot to put a glass box in there. They could have at least curved the base.

We just got one about 2 years ago. Not only does it has some flat iron-ness to it but it looks completely different from every angle.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

More renders of one of the proposals for winthrop square.

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by boss-ton; April 16th, 2015 at 01:57 AM.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #648
Sterlyng65

Likes (Received): 45

Boston really needs those buildings though

LCIII, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Sterlyng65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #649
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58060

Glassy towers are alright and create some sort of futurist atmosphere, but I think the Boston skyline could definitely need a dominating postmodern landmark, preferably with a largely stone-made facade.

Something like the soaring setbacked Minneapolis' Wells Fargo Center would suit Boston well, or a majestic crowned tower like the BoA Corporate Center in Charlotte:

Bank of America Corporate Center, Charlotte, NC by SkylineScenes (Bill Cobb), on Flickr

The perfect centerpiece and focal point. When you have such a building, your skyline becomes instantly recognizable.
So far, that isn't the case with Boston. And if it only gets glass boxes and tubes, it will stay like that.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #650
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

Honestly, I don't know how you can say that. Doesn't it seem weird to you that you can provide an example of exactly the kind of tower that you say would make Boston memorable and unique, in another city? There's a similar kind of tower in Cleveland--the Key Bank Tower--and really, that style of architecture is no more unique to Boston than it is any other American city, which is to say, really not at all. Ironically, the skyscraper in Boston which is probably the most significant symbol (in the context of its surrounding skyline) is definitely a glass box--the John Hancock Tower.

I don't disagree that there are plenty of glass boxes and tubes around the world, probably more than there should be, but both of the architectural languages on offer here--Post-modern and Neo-futurist--are essentially ubiquitous, and from what I know of both of them, the latter lends more flexibility to design, potentially creating more diverse architecture. Really, I agree with you, and would love to see Boston do something really special, but Streamline Moderne isn't exactly en vogue right now :P.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #651
erbse
LIBERTINED

Streamline Moderne, New Classical, Art Nouveau, Expressionism and Art Deco will always be en vogue, that's the cool thing about it.

You can always create something new and exciting from the grammar of these styles. Look at what David M. Schwarz did with the outstanding Smith Center! I'm not saying only such things should be built, but the good thing of our times is, we can choose from a greater canon of shapes and styles than any generation before. Let's make great use of that!

The Smith Center for the Performing Arts by odonata98, on Flickr

aquaticko, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by erbse; April 17th, 2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #652
hateman

Boston has a rich architectural history and vernacular architecture to mine, including some very prominent architectural heroes like Charles Bulfinch and Henry Hobson Richardson. It'd be great if developers and architects could develop a unique Boston style, instead of keeping up with the latest fads, resulting in the usual random panel and window embarrassments, or outright disasters like Government Center. Re-drawing and modernizing a historical structure like India Wharf vertical would result in a magnificent skyscraper.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #653
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

There's plenty of Postmodern buildings in Boston. A few tall, glassy towers will bring a welcome texture break from all this:

Boston Skyline by Meditec2000, on Flickr
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #654
hateman

Those 80s-90s postmodern towers are another example of Boston's embrace of embarrassing fads. The good thing about glass towers is that they're sterile and less susceptible to being dated, e.g. John Hancock.

Old April 17th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #655
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
First off it's maybe the highest quality cladding I have ever seen for a residential tower. So no, it's not "found anywhere". It's really as good as it gets for a resi. Second of all, it kind of resembles a new version of the John Hancock Tower, as in Boston's current tallest building. (for the last 40 years) You going to tell me that one doesn't belong either? At the end of the day, both towers are reflecting the beautiful city around them.

Yeah, Berlin sure does have some "amazing skyscrapers" there.

Frankly, you could argue that every skyscraper could be built anywhere. Unless we built a giant lighthouse or a 700' cup of clam chowder, any design is not exclusively "Boston". So what? Millennium Tower is turning out great and we are very happy with it over here. If the bottom doesn't drop out, Boston is entering it's largest skyscraper boom in its history, bar-none. We really don't care what you have to say about it. At least we aren't getting the total junk being thrown up willy nilly in Florida. (mostly Miami, yuck, looks 3rd world, while Jacksonville's got nothing going on as far as I know)
To clarify on Berlin, I was referring to the five or six story residential buildings they are building in the "new Berlin" style which is a handsome style unique to Berlin. It is classical, modern, but says Berlin. I know there are no skyscrapers in Berlin.

O.K. so you dissed Jacksonville architecturally as well you should. I never said my town was great. Miami is another story. It has some really imaginative architecture --not all of it good but that kind of goes to my point. Miami has a "look." Boston should have a look too. I guess you just like glass more than I do so you should be a very happy camper. P.S. I grew up in Weston and used to go into Boston and went to law school there so I am not some outside trying to tell you all what to do.

robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #656
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
I guess you just like glass more than I do so you should be a very happy camper. P.S. I grew up in Weston and used to go into Boston and went to law school there so I am not some outside trying to tell you all what to do.
I don't blindly love glass. For instance, I hate what Toronto has done to itself. Very bland and soulless, but also low quality.

In Boston's case, as Desertpunk has pointed out, it doesn't have a ton of glass on the skyline at the moment. Millennium Tower is as high quality as it gets, and reflects a vibrant city around it. There's a point where it will be overkill if we get too much, but we are not at that point and Boston's larger buildings seem to hold themselves to a higher standard than a Toronto or Miami.

The thing is, we have our share of crap (look up The Kensington and Waterside Place as examples) but they are generally under 300'. Miami would build one of these buildings 600-700', and IMO wrecked its skyline by obscuring its gems (SWFC and Miami Tower for starters) with huge, white painted blocks that look like they belong in some 3rd world country somewhere. Toronto has one color (blue glass) and most of the buildings seem to have cheaped out on it big-time. I would hate if that is how we ultimately develop here.

However, right now there's the 790' John Hancock Tower dominating the skyline, the 554' 111 Huntington, the 510' Exchange Place, and.... then what? There's a dearth of glass here, at least in terms of skyline impact. Millennium, the Four Seasons (in prep), and imminent Copley Place Towers are going to change that, but are also aiming for absolutely top notch cladding and strong designs. As long as we keep ourselves to that higher standard, I'm not (yet) worried about too much glass in Boston.

I'd love to see a new pinnacle building like Charlotte's BOA or Cleveland's Key Tower built here in the future. In the meantime, let us enjoy what we have going for a couple more years please.

Last edited by DZH22; April 17th, 2015 at 12:36 PM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #657
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
To clarify on Berlin, I was referring to the five or six story residential buildings they are building in the "new Berlin" style which is a handsome style unique to Berlin. It is classical, modern, but says Berlin.
Indeed, that's what would be very welcome in Boston as well I think, a vernacular contemporary style. It could use new classical elements as well as others. One of the US marvels with really quite some stretch of unique history should be proud of its achievements and interpret them for the future, Boston shouldn't try to look like a random Asian city with bland boxy towers all over. Because then, in the future, it won't matter anymore if you're in Boston or a similar sized developed city anywhere else, because they likely are (too) much alike. It's the different characters of cities that draw people.

Here's an overview of some "New Berlin Style" buildings, as a reference how you can develop a timeless and valuable style, that still says "it's built today" and really gives character at the same time:

Contemporary Berlin Style buildings

Old April 17th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #658
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

This 12-Story Building Is Coming to Boston's Greenway

Quote:
The Boston Redevelopment Authority signed off Thursday evening on the redevelopment of 102-110 Broad Street, just off the Rose Kennedy Greenway.

Developer New Boston Ventures, the folks bringing you the Residences at 945 East Broadway in Southie, plan to demolish a five-story building and redevelop an early 19th-century warehouse next-door into a complex of 40 apartments, complete with bike storage, an underground parking garage and ground-floor retail.

Old April 17th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #659
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Indeed, that's what would be very welcome in Boston as well I think, a vernacular contemporary style. It could use new classical elements as well as others. One of the US marvels with really quite some stretch of unique history should be proud of its achievements and interpret them for the future, Boston shouldn't try to look like a random Asian city with bland boxy towers all over. Because then, in the future, it won't matter anymore if you're in Boston or a similar sized developed city anywhere else, because they likely are (too) much alike. It's the different characters of cities that draw people.

Here's an overview of some "New Berlin Style" buildings, as a reference how you can develop a timeless and valuable style, that still says "it's built today" and really gives character at the same time:

Contemporary Berlin Style buildings
There are high quality contemporary buildings that echo historicist lines but the city is currently seeing a surge in rentals that require some budget restraint. When the sale condo market comes back full steam, more structures like this will go up:

IMG_8463 by kz1000ps, on Flickr

But even the best designs can run aground against the NIMBY horde...
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #660
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
There are high quality contemporary buildings that echo historicist lines but the city is currently seeing a surge in rentals that require some budget restraint. When the sale condo market comes back full steam, more structures like this will go up:

IMG_8463 by kz1000ps, on Flickr

But even the best designs can run aground against the NIMBY horde...
That building looks like it was stolen from some of the best urban centers of Europe. The detailing is amazing!!!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston