daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:46 AM   #681
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Government Center Garage tower developers sick of old Boston architecture; vow bold new designs for a new century

Quote:
The owners of the hulking Government Center Garage today submitted detailed design plans for residential and office towers they say will help lift Boston out of the design doldrums with assertive architecture they say will help put an end to our history of staid buildings.

In their filings with the BRA, HYM Investment Group and Bulfinch Congress Holdings say their proposed curved, 1-million-square-foot office building is "a world-class cosmopolitan building, where the future collective composition of buildings transcends local scale and context to create a built form that is decidedly of the 21st Century."

They add:

Quote:
The building will be especially striking when lit at night as the graceful curves of the inner shell softly glow on the horizon.
The 31-story residential building, which will house 486 residential units - 64 affordable - is also a rejection of the old Boston idea of fitting in with the surrounding buildings:

Quote:
Rather than emulating existing Boston architecture, the Proposed Project design will complement the city skyline with a fresh contemporary design based on resiliency and sustainability.
Part of that sustainability will come on the ninth floor:

Quote:
In addition to improvements to the public Bowker Street Green, open space will be provided to residents in the form of roof garden or deck on the 9th floor of the Proposed Project. This space will act as an important outdoor amenity for the residents and tenants as well as a space for sustainable stormwater management. This roof garden or deck may also extend beyond the 9th floor and out onto the roof of the Government Center Garage. Another amenity space on the 31st floor of the Proposed Project will offer leisure spaces for residents such as a multipurpose room, library, and roof deck.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:09 AM   #682
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Back Bay cranes

Boston Sunrise from Science Park by matthew macpherson, on Flickr
Old November 24th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #683
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The details on the North End’s building spree

Quote:
November 16, 2015 1:23 PM If your dream is living next door to the home of the Bruins and Celtics, you may soon be in luck. Developers are moving ahead with plans for a trio of luxury apartment towers, one on the site of the Garden and North Station, and two others just across the street. Avalon Bay is well under way with construction of a 38-story apartment tower on Nashua Street behind the Garden.

Not to be outdone, Equity Residential is hoping to win approval soon from City Hall so it can begin construction next year of a 44-story apartment tower just across the street from the Garden. Meanwhile, Boston Properties is preparing to start building the “podium” on which a 1.87-million-square-foot mixed-used development is slated to take shape in front of the Garden and North Station on the site of the old Boston Garden.

A rendering showing potential update to the western facade of the Boston Properties podium. (Boston Properties/Gensler/Delaware North/SCB)

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/real-estate/ne....f5R7iCP5.dpuf
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #684
Sprngh2o

Likes (Received): 22

Is this city changing or what....amazing.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Sprngh2o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #685
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

30 Dalton St.

IMG_5425 by Phil, on Flickr

prageethSL, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old November 26th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #686
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

888 Boylston

IMG_5423 by Phil, on Flickr
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:44 AM   #687
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Financial District's 100 Federal Could Get a Winter Garden

Quote:
The owner of the 41-story office skyscraper at 100 Federal Street in Boston's Financial District has pitched plans for a glassed-in atrium that would include an 8,990-square-foot, all-seasons park.

Boston Properties also wants to plunk 8,500 square feet of retail and 500 square feet for kiosks within the atrium, along with the winter garden.

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1, AbidM liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:52 AM   #688
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The case for 1,000 feet: Could Kendall Square really get the tallest tower in New England?

Quote:
Even supporters of increased height and density tend to brush off city councillor Leland Cheung’s floated idea of a 1,000-foot tower at the John A. Volpe National Transportation Center parcel in Kendall Square. I take it seriously, though, and I don’t believe I’m entirely alone.

The other major component that has been brushed aside is the restoration of the historic Broad Canal – which was partially filled in 1966 in preparation for the sprawling NASA center than never came to fruition – along with creating a wetland on part of a redeveloped Volpe parcel. This concept was featured in the winning submission to the Connect Kendall Square Open Space design competition, a vision for the neighborhood everyone should take a look at.

The vertical concentration of the tower serves that vision. The value capture includes not just more housing, but more fluid spaces, more open space and a chance to introduce ecological features.

Yes, the 1,000-foot tower will stand up and stick out and dwarf the Cambridge skyline – and that’s a good thing. It would be a statement and a beacon, drawing and welcoming humanity to Cambridge on its own merit and, by proxy, to everything else Cambridge is...

[...]
Is this really a thing? Odds are that NIMBYs will strangle this proposal in its crib. But that's nothing new...
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #689
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

In Cambridge? Fat chance. It would set off a furor not seen since the days of Samuel Adams.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

erbse liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #690
odurandina

Likes (Received): 103

I have a nice updated graphic of what will be the tallest dozen or so towers (incl 1 Dalton Street reaching a few feet higher than the Pru), Millennium Tower, and the 625 foot Copley place - but i guess i can't post it.

so, i'll post something of current Boston projects as I best understand them to be....

Can't help but be disappointed that of 6 likely towers that will eclipse 450 feet; (2) at City Hall, and 3 or possibly 4 at North Station; (Avalon + the 2 TD Garden towers + the 447 foot Equity Residential tower awaiting word from BRA), include 2 final renderings that fall short of their BRA approved heights of 600 feet... i think mixed heights of 450~480 to 600 feet would greatly contribute to forming a low 'domed' rounded skyline in the Financial District. Instead, what we're seeing are more opportunities lost to reach 600 feet in crucial locations where it is highly appropriate to do so. this will prove to be a mistake.

example; a few tall towers added near the (McCormack Buiding/gigantic box monolith) would have helped mitigate it's visual (blight) upon our city. The 5 TD Garden buildings including one granted permission to ascend to 600 feet adjacent to the new Converse building and Boston Garden would have been a home run. The BRA was on the right track.

But now, as if willed by forces unseen, not one of the 4 towers proposed near or adjacent to TD Garden reaches even 500 feet, let alone the pinnacle height granted by the BRA. Of all the approved towers in the Financial District, only 2 will rise aboe 500 feet; they are South Station likely to reach 600~620 feet), and the other is the 528 foot cylindrical spire at City Hall.

450-500 foot high rise buildings can be 'boxy.' In Boston, it turned out far worse. But, in the Boston Garden area, what we're going to get look "ok" and should add some density at the shoulders of the high spine.

Govt Center and the Winthrop Garage need to rise near their respective 620~740 foot plateau.

but, after Millennium Tower, it seems all we'll be getting is (1) 620 foot tower at South Station.

*please excuse if i have listed any in error...

list now updated (please see below).

erbse, StoJa9, Sprngh2o, aquaticko liked this post

Last edited by odurandina; December 12th, 2015 at 08:24 AM.
odurandina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #691
citylover94

Likes (Received): 91

Ava Theatre District is complete as far as I know.
citylover94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #692
odurandina

updates.... please see below.

Sprngh2o liked this post

Last edited by odurandina; December 21st, 2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #693
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1027

Not bad. Thanks for keeping track of all the stuff going on in the city. I'm sure we're all waiting with bated breath for a tower to knock Hancock off its ever-so-comfy perch.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #694
Sprngh2o

Likes (Received): 22

More cranes please.
Sprngh2o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #695
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3648

Despite the NIMBYism, Boston is booming.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #696
odurandina

It turns out, the Nimby's may have won after all.

a not-so-happy ending to building tall n Boston ?

I read a lot of comments hoping a few very tall buildings will soon, go up in Boston.

Sadly, after so many +280~400 foot structures being added in the past few years, i believe we're down to just a few places where 500~700 foot towers can be built. As fantastic as such a state of affairs may seem, imo, the situation looks somewhat grim.

We've added a lot of density in the last 15 years. Think those Ritz Carlton things are nice? Their construction may someday be included as part of a short sighted, if not reckless chapter of building in Boston... There were too many stubby rectangles built (under 450) feet during the Tom Menino years (+ the permits issued before he left, w/ properties coming into the market, now).

A few big towers on just a few prime parcels would have made a huge impact on Boston's barren skyline - and added critical supply to the market. Instead, precious land was pissed away by Tom Menino's admn caving in to nimby's. Then, i see a lot of 4, 5, 6 story buildings popping up, (seemingly everywhere), where 260~300 foot towers could have gone.

So, what comes after our exciting, present-day build out?

Want to go tall in the Back Bay? Ain't happening without a lot of pain. Those ugly Christian Science buildings will require pallets of ($$$). What about the South End? nope; can't build tall there.... worse than Downtown. the land area south of I-90 is 250~300 ft limit/flight path back all the way to Roxbury, along parts of the Fenway and beyond... build tall south of Chinatown? no. it's within the 200~250 ft flight path (like the Seaport).

We're left with Don Chiofaro's (Harbor) Garage, South Station, Back Bay Station, less than ideal South Bay parcel (if deemed suitable would be a great location to add office space to the market), Kendall Square, another few spots in Cambridge, maybe a few doglegs in Downtown and some nuclear options in Back Bay.

Once again, you have the Menino years to thank for this disaster.

Study the FAA restricted zones; it's almost over. This is why 111 Federal Street is going to the max height limit. If the BRA seems a bit hasty to be open to going tall at the Harbor Garage site, again; this is one of the last places to add a significant amount of density to a luxury waterfront market that's starving for it. By the same reasoning, all the big proposed projects need to go very tall. When the three big parcels at South Station, Back Bay Station and South Bay are eventually developed, they should also reach their respective height limits.

After a very long, long, long, long, long time... like after the South End, Fenway and adjacent parts Roxbury are built out, and 100~150 million dollar parcels in Boston's High Spine are deemed as 'underdeveloped,' Properties along Boyleston Street, or Huntington Ave such as the Greenhouse Apts (1982) ect may be eyed as the next places to go up... but this type of destruction seems quite a ways removed from the current market.

Last edited by odurandina; December 12th, 2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old December 12th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #697
citylover94

This is a major exaggeration. Yes there is limited space left but there is not no space. Yes we are running out of empty lots but there are a bunch of parking garages that can be redeveloped and there are still some empty lots. Plus there are air rights over the Mass Pike.

I made a map that I have been trying to keep up to date of lots available for redevelopment in the core. Not all the sites could support a skyscraper but most of them can. It is not complete but it gives a good idea of what is available.
Here is a link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k4&usp=sharing

FAA Height Map:

*FAA Height restrictions are not set in stone for downtown/back bay there is some wiggle room. Based on that map the Four Seasons tower shouldn't be able to go above 500' and the FAA approved that tower for 755'

Last edited by desertpunk; December 21st, 2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old December 12th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #698
odurandina

thanks for posting the hi-resolution image. it's been a long time since i've seen it. so i was mostly posting from memory. i see i was off a little.

still, i say 'grim' because when i think of FAA height restrictions + nimby + pay the homey's to throw their scant political capital to the dogs (for the developers) + the cost of removing more ++ ($$$) post urban renewal properties + all the impact/traffic studies + can't go near the Charles + ain't goin' mixing with brownstones + shadows + oh my effing God, the trees are gonna die.

trying to feel your enthusiasm (in sharp constrast to thinking of future developers building 12 stories in Roxbury).
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #699
citylover94

No problem I hadn't seen one that hi-res before so I was very surprised. I tend to be overly optimistic at times but I think between parking lots, parking garages, advances in building really thin but tall towers and potential demolition of buildings that aren't valuable enough historically to retain that there will be enough space to get through a couple more decades. I think by 2030 space could be an issue especially if things are kept too short. But I am still hopeful.

I do see where you are coming from, but I think with the rebirth of the importance of cities or at least the recent shift in attitudes where cities are seen as important and people have started to see what makes cities work and why they are important again I do have optimism that as time passes it will become easier to build in cities and development regulations will become more sane.
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #700
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Fenway's 17-Story 1350 Boylston to Officially Break Ground

Quote:
Lead developer Skanska USA will be hosting an official groundbreaking this afternoon for 1350 Boylston Street, Fenway's latest apartment project to commence construction. There's a catch to today's ceremony: Skanska is holding it at the nearby Boston Arts Academy, the city's sole public high school for visual and performing arts, to which the developer is donating $10,000. Mayor Marty Walsh will be the guest of honor. As for 1350 Boylston, said construction has been under way in earnest since October.

aquaticko liked this post

Tags
boston