daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2015, 07:25 PM   #701
citylover94

Likes (Received): 91

The Cronin Group has proposed a 22 story development at 150 Seaport Boulevard on the South Boston waterfront. Link to websites: http://croningroupllc.com/en-us/welcome.aspx http://150seaport.com/

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2015, 07:41 PM   #702
Sprngh2o

Likes (Received): 22

Wow...sharp building
Sprngh2o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:34 PM   #703
odurandina

Likes (Received): 102

squander

verb | squan·der | \ˈskwän-dər\

transitive verb

1. to spend extravagantly or foolishly : dissipate, waste <squandered a fortune>

2. to cause to disperse : scatter

3. to lose (as an advantage or opportunity) through negligence or inaction

Q: how do you go 28 years without constructing even 1 600 foot building?

Is this our last chance at building skyscrapers in Boston??

Don't shoot me, but, going 'tall' may soon become an endangered prayer topic in Boston.... And not only because of politics. If you're hoping things will change soon, you might be in for a very long wait.

updates (up to the minute from the 'source').

Not long ago, i was nervously optimistic about current/future construction in Boston. i have now been brushed back into despair.... no longer optimistic that i will see the Boston skyline saved after all. I'm not saying that it's effectively ruined. But i'm afraid i won't be getting in the 'wow, they saved it' camp either. Urban renewal in Boston sought to build needed density, modern plumbing and heating, and revitalize neighborhoods.... and to that end, they succeeded.

But, after the 1990s, what critical few air-rights parcels remain/ed *(where a few 625~750 foot towers would have made a huge difference in giving Boston a minimal, yet striking, drawn-out skyline) - will soon be lost. With the exception of 3 or 4 nice towers, the current wave is just more Menino era 300-490 foot infill.

We have enough cubed-shaped' buildings everywhere. It's not just that land has become scarce. We may someday look back and say, 'what were needed at this time were a few more 'Skyscrapers' in the mix.'

the critical parcels/current redevelopment situation;

Despite opposition by a few 'unrealistic' folks in the community, the following projects would have made a huge improvement to Boston, and REALLY left the door open for some kind of 'super wow' in the future.

if only the BRA had remained firm... if...

1. just one 600 foot tower actually could have got built at the Boston Garden. It could have and it should have happened. It's not going to happen, but i'm still happy to see 4 medium height towers fill the West End at North Station.

2. at least one 650~750 foot tower had been built at Government Center. Looks like we might come close with the cylindrical office tower getting near 600 feet or slightly over (once the mechancal screen/crown spire are topped). I'm not completely sold on this theory. It may turn out... There also might be an issue with driving piles to the depths necessary for +200 meters on this parcel due to potential problems with neighboring properties or underground infrastructure. But, if this one gets to 600 feet or slightly above, it will make a huge impact.

3. if Don Chiofaro can find a solution to going to the 600 feet/900,000 sq ft limit at the Harbor Garage site. We all hope something can be resolved soon, otherwise, it may turn out to be yet, another sad day for Boston if that craphole garage isn't torn down, and the huge hole in the air above it isn't filled.

4. The current footprint of the Ritz Carlton behemoths. (Surely something could have been done to bring some trees that can tolerate a bit more shade, and tall towers been built).

5. Back Bay Station; Tall isn't going to happen here after all.

6. South Station; I fear cranes may arrive at just about the same time the economy turns sour.

7. Midwood Development/Bromfield Street; I like to keep an open mind, but nervous the MT partners and residents will turn this into the latest bloodbath.

8. 111 Federal Street; BRA officials will ensure a very tall building gets done here, and the cranes will arrive.

proposed/ or with greater than zero chance of being built etc;

1. Midwood Investment/Bromfield Street diagonally across from Millenium Tower likely to seek in range of 625-740 feet.

2. Harbor Garage/Don Chiofaro 52 stories 600 feet/900,000 sq ft limit/delayed.

3. Equity Residential North Station/a.k.a. Garden Garage/Boston Garden Tower 4 was 46 stories; proposal now sits @ 44 stories 447 feet (after 2 height reductions)

^This project is going to be approved - unfortunately, it's looking like it will occur after yet another height reduction (the 3rd). The once planned +540 foot tower may need to be renamed Stubby Garden Tower 4 to go along with the other 3 medium height towers, but will form a decent shoulder infill where the skyline meets the Zakim Bridge.

4. 380 Stewart Street/John Hancock Tower #3 26 stories 380 feet (more infill).

5. BACK BAY STATION likely to... sad to learn, that contrary to earlier hopes, this one will not be the next tall spire riding in on a white horse to help the barren Back Bay skyine. 1 Dalton Street and Coply Tower may be the last significant towers built in Back Bay for a few years.

6. South Bay Tower; hopeful we will see a tower make an impact at this site in the next 5-10 years; (perhaps during a phase that sees many 180~260 foot appartment buildings in Roxbury, Fenway, Jamaica Plain, etc)...

approved, under-construction, topped, +/- cladding or completed;

1. 111 Federal Street/Winthrop Garage 740-780 feet (BRA gave tacit approval for "very tall..." currently weighing multiple redevelopment proposals)

2. 1 Dalton Street/Four Seasons 61 stories 755 Feet (under comstruction)

3. Millennium Tower 55 stories 685 feet (topped + cladding completed)

4. Copley Place Tower 52 stories 625~650 feet (w/ mechanical screen, in early construction phase)

5. SOUTH STATION 41 stories 621~650 feet (has BRA approval w/ many question marks regarding the timetable and track expansion)

6. Government Center (cylindrical) office tower 38 stories 528 feet + mechanical screen/crown spire (has BRA approval to reach 600 feet. screen/spire could top at that height or go slightly over.

7. TD Garden Tower 1 (office tower) 33 stories 495 feet (BRA approved)

8. TD Garden Tower 2 (resident tower) 45 stories 486 feet (has BRA approval for 1 tower to reach 600 feet)

9. Government Center (residential) Tower 45 stories 480 feet [mechanical screen could put the roof at +540 feet.(BRA approved)]

10. Avalon North Station/121 Nashua Street 38 stories 450 feet (topped w/cladding a few weeks away)

11. 40 Trinity Place 33 stories 400 feet at the roof (approved; construction to commence shortly)

12. The Point Fenway 30 stories 344~365 feet (under construction)

13. 45 Stewart St/AVA Theatre District 29 stories 336 feet (completed/occupancy near full)

14. Radian Boston 26 stories ~300 feet (completed/occupancy over 50%)

Despite rumours of a coming holocaust, Don Chiofaro never proposed any development that would reduce the number of parking spaces available to the New England Aquarium [once the new underground garage beneath (what will now be a single tower) was completed]. The Aquarium isn't the 8th wonder of the world. The City of Boston will never allow visitors to get lost attempting to find the big tank full of snarky see creature employees. This is Boston: THEY WOULD HAVE BUSSED THEM IN from locations all over the city.

After the above building sites are gone, I stumble attempting to locate where they will put the next tower, or series of 550-790 foot skyscrapers in Boston.

sticking to this premise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
It turns out, the Nimby's may have won after all.

a not-so-happy ending to building tall n Boston ?

I read a lot of comments hoping a few very tall buildings will soon, go up in Boston.

Sadly, after so many +280~400 foot structures being added in the past few years, i believe we're down to just a few places where 500~700 foot towers can be built. As fantastic as such a state of affairs may seem, imo, the situation looks somewhat grim.

We've added a lot of density in the last 15 years. Think those Ritz Carlton things are nice? Their construction may someday be included as part of a short sighted, if not reckless chapter of building in Boston... There were too many stubby rectangles built (under 450) feet during the Tom Menino years (+ the permits issued before he left, w/ properties coming into the market, now).

A few big towers on just a few prime parcels would have made a huge impact on Boston's barren skyline - and added critical supply to the market. Instead, precious land was pissed away by Tom Menino's admn caving in to nimby's. Then, i see a lot of 4, 5, 6 story buildings popping up, (seemingly everywhere), where 260~300 foot towers could have gone.

So, what comes after our exciting, present-day build out?

Want to go tall in the Back Bay? Ain't happening without a lot of pain. Those ugly Christian Science buildings will require pallets of ($$$). What about the South End? nope; can't build tall there.... worse than Downtown. the land area south of I-90 is **250~300 ft limit/flight path back all the way to Roxbury, along parts of the Fenway and beyond... build tall south of Chinatown? no. it's within the **200~250 ft flight path (like the Seaport).

We're left with Don Chiofaro's (Harbor) Garage, South Station, Back Bay Station, less than ideal South Bay parcel (if deemed suitable would be a great location to add office space to the market), Kendall Square, another few spots in Cambridge, maybe a few doglegs in Downtown and some nuclear options in Back Bay.

Once again, you have the Menino years to thank for this disaster.

Study the FAA restricted zones; it's almost over. This is why 111 Federal Street is going to the max height limit. If the BRA seems a bit hasty to be open to going tall at the Harbor Garage site, again; this is one of the last places to add a significant amount of density to a luxury waterfront market that's starving for it. By the same reasoning, all the big proposed projects need to go very tall. When the three big parcels at South Station, Back Bay Station and South Bay are eventually developed, they should also reach their respective height limits.

After a very long, long, long, long, long time... like after the South End, Fenway and adjacent parts of Roxbury are built out, and 100~150 million dollar parcels in Boston's High Spine are deemed as 'underdeveloped,' Properties along Boyleston Street, or Huntington Ave such as the Greenhouse Apts (1982) ect may be eyed as the next places to go up... but this type of destruction seems a few world's removed from the current market.

these are the original heights i used in my original post. Citylover was kind enough to demonstrate i was off a little, but not enough to where you're able to make a significant impact on the Skyline with big, picturesque towers.

Last edited by odurandina; January 15th, 2016 at 01:50 AM.
odurandina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:04 AM   #704
citylover94

Can you please stop posting things worrying about Boston running out of space for new towers please it is not true and unnecessary. Yes there are limited sites that are already open but more will open up over time there are still plenty of parking garages to be replaced downtown.

Also could you please explain why you think the Back Bay Station tower won't happen. There isn't any reason a 900 ft tower can't go there and it wouldn't cast shadows on any place that isn't already impacted by the Hancock and shadows don't go south so that should take care of the south end.

This just seems pointless and over dramatic to me. Maybe I am missing something but I think you will be surprised where Boston could be in a few years. I agree to many towers were built around 300 ft tall that should have been taller but that is over we have to work with what is available and crying/yelling about how bad it is doesn't change anything. Yes there are missed opportunities but there are also plenty of opportunities that haven't even been explored yet.
citylover94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:46 AM   #705
odurandina

i should have put a disclaimer at the beginning of the post that i'd come off sounding heavy handed. it wasn't my intention, nor to take a big crap on the forum. i'll be the first to say, what an idiot i am, and thank you, when i turn out to be wrong.

i did leave an out; building in Back Bay will still be possible.... Then Govt Center is really one humongous demo. But we're getting close to things getting prohibitively expensive. Look at how tall they had to go at 1 Dalton. Add in Boston Redevelopment politics to any other possible site/s. So many are just a nightmare.

I've got friends working with this stuff. I hadn't had the opportunity to get into specifics with one 'in the know' until the last few days. I came to discover they see things in a similar light. It's not just overcoming the challenges of underground infrastructure, engineering, right-of-ways, zoning.... Now, as we move forward, it's the delicate hurdles involved with redevelopment of assets that are already well used being added to Logan, shadows, expensive impact studies, the cost of labor, angry neighbors, the Archdiocese, the colleges who own so much property.... then, add the goodies for the city... put it together, it's just a lot. damn perfect storm. a ton goes into these projects.

Look at 1 Dalton. Why does it get done, and an other one doesn't. Millennium is done, who has the right to say Bromfield Street doesn't? Yet, if it doesn't get built, that should tell you a lot. You're seeing people tearing their hair out because they're gonna do a variance on a 200 foot height rule at the Aquarium. This is happening, because there's no where else to build... Sadder still, you've got the Aquarium ass-douches that can't see Chiofaro is going to help bring a renaissance in this part of the City. Too many people don't see density here as a good thing - which is insane.

And there's stuff no one talks about in Boston. You had the Patrick (omfg) admn... You can't begin to quantify the evil that existed in the State House under his regime. Then there's the City. Infighting goes on with the developers that you can't even imagine. Stuff that could will never be repeated.

choose to believe it or not.

But, 1 Dalton also shows us a silver lining; where going forward, the purchase + removal of valuable properties gets so damn expensive, they simply have to go huge to make it feasible. I'm saying we're closer to this place than you think, and the Menino-era crap effectivly ends.

I'm not looking for a showdown, but, are you prepared to get specific? Where are we not looking? I don't see where. I see a few doglegs downtown/where you can do tall and narrow @ 450~620'. So, there's room for optimism there. But, unless you're talking about west of the Pru, then, i just think from here, our prospects start getting very thin.

Now, if you want to talk about 265-340 foot apartment buildings going all the way back to Hyde Park, yeah, people are thrilled. We'll continue to see these low towers, linkage, and neighborhoods revitalized.

Back Bay Station. The up to the minute is B.B.S. is 2 buildings with neither going tall.

You don't want to know who told me, But, if this is true, and i have every reason to believe that it is, then imo, they're better off setting it aside for a few years. If you want to see a world class skyscraper built here, you all are going to need to get LOUD before they get too far along (Count me in).... If the best path to a great tower requires waiting a few years, then it would be well worth it. It will be a tragedy if at least 1 +650 foot tower doesn't go up there.

Godspeed.

Last edited by odurandina; December 23rd, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:30 AM   #706
citylover94

Boston properties said they want to go big at Back bay so I would not expect Hancock #3 there at all in fact financially that wouldn't work because it would likely partially be air rights so the height is necessary financially.

As far as available lots here is a screenshot of a map I created and provided a link to on the previous page.

Key:
Purple- easy or likely to be redeveloped
Orange- unsure political or economic factors make redevelopment complicated
Red- unlikely to be redeveloped in the near future
Green- Proposal

Based off of this map I count 18 sites that could fit at least one skyscraper and some could fit several. That is only including the purple lots and does not count current proposals. The FAA height limits on those parcels range from a low of around 700 feet up to around 975 feet.

When I posted this map on archboston the majority of people agreed with the parcels that I marked as available and I was able to add a couple more sites based on information a member gave me and this is only including downtown and Back Bay. There is potential for height in other areas of the city and this becomes more likely as people get more exposure to well designed skyscrapers and more are built outside of the usual high rise areas such as around north station.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:03 AM   #707
odurandina

nice work.

maybe the orange is for 'next time' in a few years with the go big or go home mantra.

and the City telling the NIMBY's to stfu or move.
Old December 25th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #708
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Boston Garden Towers

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/20...ers-boston.php

prageethSL liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #709
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Construction to Start on Big Bulfinch Triangle Project

Quote:
The big-time development of the vacant lot across from TD Garden known as Parcel 1B has taken a big-time step forward. Related Beal, the same folks who brought you the spot-less Lovejoy Wharf, just announced they have enough financing to start construction this month on the apartment portion of the project. The firm has also inked a 99-year lease for the site with Parcel 1B's owner, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

The apartment portion of the Parcel 1B development is due to include 239 units aimed at those not in the market for a $3,000 studio. Indeed, Related Beal calls their effort "the largest new construction of affordable and workforce housing in downtown Boston in more than a quarter-century."

Chadoh25, aquaticko, edison buendia liked this post
Old December 27th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #710
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Innovation District Seaport

Untitled by mahler9, on Flickr

phoenixboi08, msquaredb liked this post
Old December 28th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #711
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57926

Boston getting way too many random glass facades lately. Stones and bricks look much better in this city, suit its appeal!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

robertwood liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #712
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Seriously, these blue glass cities like Vancouver will regret the mundaneness of its aesthetic in a few years. It's so generic and dull, so I'm happy Boston hasn't committed to it too much.

robertwood liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #713
odurandina

i couldn't disagree more. The Brutalist Architecture of Boston from the '50s to the '70s (i.e. Govt Center/Christian Science Tower, much of Downtown, etc), and fugly concrete (i.e. concrete Harbor Towers/Longfellow Place, etc)... gave way to far too much redstone/brownstone/mudstone.

Millennium, The Hancock Tower, Exchange Place, 33 Arch, 100 High Street, Atlantic Wharf, 30 Dalton Street, and the soon-to-be (1 Dalton St/Four Seasons and Copley Tower), and recent Seaport Dist towers, or mixed glass as you have with Dewey Square/1 Financial or the Radian are all beautiful, imo.

If it has to be old look, i'll take the Seagram Building (New York) which takes on the appearance of Onyx or even the cladding of 1 Boston Place all day long...[I'm petitioning the BRA and BNY to add some type of uncomplicated facade; perhaps something akin to a ringed crown fence closer to the perimeter - to mitigate the cube shaped mechanical screen's offense to the City (and God) in the current regime].

http://www.emporis.com/images/show/5...m-the-east.jpg

Last edited by odurandina; December 28th, 2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #714
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57926

I have no idea what you're talking about. Boston doesn't have a single stone/brick facade landmark tower in classical style, except beautiful Custom House Tower and Old Hancock Tower/Berkeley Building (which are #18 and 19 only on the skyline, see here). The taller ones of the city are all bland glassy/modernist, which is nice and all, but totally random - they could be in any other place of the world.

But even with a glassy facade, they should be able to create something that is more identifiable - like One Lincoln Street or 111 Huntington Avenue. I think Boston's skyline would profit immensely by two, three more postmodern or better classical-style landmark towers (650ft+).

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #715
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
...[I'm petitioning the BRA and BNY to add some type of uncomplicated facade; perhaps something akin to a ringed crown fence closer to the perimeter - to mitigate the cube shaped mechanical screen's offense to the City (and God) in the current regime].

http://www.emporis.com/images/show/5...m-the-east.jpg
I love this building and its presence on the skyline. Until Millennium overshadowed it, the cube on top was the most recognizable downtown landmark from the north. (93 South in particular) It's one of the only things that stands out in a sea of flat roofs. Outside of maybe a fresh coat of black paint, I think this building should be left alone.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:26 AM   #716
odurandina

I read your comment on ArchBoston concerning Back Bay maybe not going tall. They have a backlog on activating accounts, so I can't post. Again, there's more people talking about 900' at Back Bay. But, this looks dead on arrival. I wish it weren't so.

Wish something could be done to change the situation. Instead, it seems like one more "it'll have to be some other place that goes tall..." Only, there never is any other place, and we end up with just more of like what's going up at Boston Garden... Only Chiofaro and a few others recently have managed to hold out, seeing the future, viability, and maybe a vision about creating a landmark. Call me sentimental, but I'm giving Chiofaro the benefit of the doubt that he wants big things for Boston. Not just dollars.

Failure to go to the max at Winthrop Garage, Bromfield Street, South Station, Harbor Garage, Govt Center or Back Bay - will be a blow. Can anyone speculate where the next big chance to go +650~789 will be after these are gone?

Last edited by odurandina; December 31st, 2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old December 31st, 2015, 03:29 AM   #717
citylover94

Pike air rights very far in the future and in the nearer future the Gateway center lots are likely to get something tall. The parking garage across from the chinatown gateway arch on the edge of the leather district is a likely spot and could potentially have to thinner towers. The parking garage on Washington across from the Devonshire could reach that. Another parking lot that could go tall although I have no idea how likely it is or who owns it is the one on the corner of Chauncy St and Ave De Lafayette across from the Hyatt Regency. There is also the parking lot on Harrison Ave and Tyler St and the parking lot at Essex St, Ping On St, and Edinboro St in Chinatown. Several towers could be built above the Shaws, Lord and Taylor and the Saks Fifth Avenue at the Prudential Center. As well as any of the Mass Pike parcels between the Prudential Center and the Charlesgate. Likely spots being the air rights parcel on the corner of Boylston and Dalton st although the current proposal is shorter a taller one could be built instead if it is allowed and ever gets moving. I would think any of those could happen either as a last push during this cycle or as the start of the next.
Old December 31st, 2015, 05:28 AM   #718
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Millennium Tower

Millennium Tower, Downtown Crossing by Leslee_atFlickr, on Flickr

erbse liked this post
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:28 AM   #719
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot