daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #741
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Huge Government Center Garage Project Is Just Getting Started

Quote:
One of the most foot-stompingly titanic real estate projects in modern Boston took a major step forward Thursday evening, with the Boston Redevelopment Authority approving the first two towers proposed for a redeveloped Government Center Garage in downtown Boston. One, a 480-foot apartment spire with 486 units and ground-floor retail, is expected to get under way this spring, per Tim Logan in the Globe. Work on the second, which is due to stretch to 528 feet, will start once developers HYM Investment and National Real Estate Advisors land an anchor tenant for what will be the biggest office tower under construction in Boston.

Four other shoots are expected to join these two spires, making for a six-building complex with a whopping 812 apartments and condos as well as 1.1 million square feet of office space, a hotel and fresh storefronts.

erbse, Chadoh25 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #742
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
As to all the speculation about the Dalton Street garage in Copley Sq covered on page 69 of the ArchBoston/1 Dalton thread; umm....... you guys know about the Back Bay Station redevelopment. Well, both these sites would seem almost perfect to go to +800~900'.

Unfortunately, i don't think the BRA is open to casting any new shadows on Copley Sq/Trinity Church. If anything, when speaking to these people, i got the impression the site and it's adjacent green patch is treated almost like a future national monument up there.
Confusing post but I will try to clarify this for you.

The Dalton St. Garage is a parcel next to the new Christian Science tower behind the Prudential Center. There is nothing planned here...yet. It is speculated that in the next development cycle this will be a possible spot to finally get a new tallest tower.

The back bay station is located next to the Hancock tower...our current tallest. This would be possible to go very tall, but the initial reports coming out show otherwise. Most likely will be a few towers in the 500' range.

Neither of these are the spots that were being talked about on ArchBoston with regards to casting shadows on the Boston Common/Public Garden. The areas being talked about were the MassPike air rights parcels/a few other open areas that lie between Arlington St. and Tremont St. These were asked about because after the Hancock tower there is a noticeable gap in the skyline, and this gap will never be filled in because the location of the Garden/Common.

I hope this clarifies things.

aquaticko liked this post
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #743
odurandina

Likes (Received): 103

Thanks, Yes, I was speaking most specifically about any new shadows (what normal humans in and outside of Boston refer to as shade) being cast on the Trinty Church, Copley Square's green patch, the BPL and the Old South Church. It's never mentioned by the guys at Archbos. but I heard that Back Bay Station was ruled out for +600' for just this reason. But, i fully agree; next cold day in hell for eclipsing the JHT could very well materialize at the Hynes, Dalton St Garage, or Christian Science park after this cycle runs it's course. I'd love to see 3 or 4 +700' towers fill in these areas.... and a few more make something of a downslope back toward Fenway Park.... But, the new condo owners at 1 Dalton St will have alot to say about that by then.

Per the BCDC meeting held this past evening over the BP/Delaware North TD Garden towers... the new renderings for the office tower got noticably better. But, 420' top occupied floor is flatly ridiculous. Maybe the gimpy spire will top out at about ~515' or so. But the mechanical screen peak should have gone well higher.
Not loving the shape as much as other folk either.

Not adding much that hasn't been said before; but, Boston is both, a historical preserve, and a modern, breathing, livable city. Obviously, some really bad things started in the mid/late '60s with the great horrors that became Govt Center, it's hulking Garage and insane Govt Services bldg nightmare.... we also have that long curved thing at ~98 Cambridge St....

For a while, we escaped from that (somewhat).... We got some lame turds, but also the Hancock Masterpiece for the ages (+plywood), the Fed Reserve, Dewey Square, some blah stuff but above +590', but also 60 State, Exchange Place, and finally, Chiofaro's skillful 1 International Place (to the haters; Chiofaro. persevered under some very difficult circumstances and not only saved our skyline, but built a very respectable property as well).

Then, Boston suddently caved to the nimby–and seemingly overnight became the champion of endless, fugly boxes and other mid-level highrise nightmares... but the real damage; endlessly destroying our dwindling air rights parcels. Fast forward to the latest ugly hangover from the Menino era; 888 Boylston Street. Maybe it isn't the most hideous in a long line of atrocities in Boston (125 High Street and at least a dozen more candidates could all be annointed King/s on any given day)... but 888 sure ranks as another dismal failure.

Compare what they'd do with that kind of incredible parcel elsewhere... i've come to love the Pru–not just for how nice it looks over the water at night–but it's our Pan Am/Met Life building. Now build tall right next to it. a 650' tower right there wouldn't have hurt it, or negatively impacted the neighborhood or the appearance of the Back Bay one bit. Quite the contrary. With the kind of risks good people are willing to take on our beloved city.... With the fiscal crisis we face, you take that land and turn it into into the next pot of gold.

Now, the TD Garden and what's left of the West End... Okay, something good is happening at Govt Center. Thank God... Still–to not see a homogeneous mechanical screen on one 600' tower blending properly over a ~535' highest occupied floor.... all looming majestically over three medium towers... would have saved the whole West End.

I can't find the words.... but, DZH22 used the right words at arch-bos to describe the TD Garden towers. Add that to the Nimby's crushing Equity Residential's bold plans for Garden Garage, or killing the project outright....

http://www.archboston.org/community/...t=4439&page=61

That's what all this lame garbage amounts to–an atrocity. Then there's this new gimmicky wind turbine crap introduced tonight. Can't put a real windfarm out in the sea, so we'll just do it here; insane. Expect more turds and nonsense at Back Bay Station too. I just can't believe how badly Back Bay High Spine and now the West End have been squanderd. I'm 100% for preservation and green spaces. Love the Greenway and Necklace.... But, in 50 years, we couldn't get one glorious, 600' tower built in the West End.

480' of hideous gets done; but you won't do 600' of glory even after the BRA already approved it.

for how to do it right, take the Seagram Building; (one of New York's finest masterpieces that exudes form, function and complexity) it's exactly 515 feet. take it–and drop it right on the ~90' TD Garden podium. Done.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...WNFsqUYPjzNNg=

What the nimby's have been allowed to do to this city–is criminal.

Last edited by odurandina; March 7th, 2016 at 09:09 PM.
odurandina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #744
citylover94

Likes (Received): 91

I doubt that would be a reason for Back Bay station seeing as the Copley Tower is going over 625 ft across the street and the Hancock would block and shadows cast by buildings on the site Boston Properties is developing behind it.

None of the available development sites past 1 Dalton will have any of 1 Daltons sides facing it because it is a triangular parcel none of the residences will have windows that look towards the building sites to the northwest of the building near the Hilton. So loss of view complaints shouldn't be a factor thankfully.
citylover94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #745
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

New Balance HQ

IMG_0947 by connorbd, on Flickr
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #746
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Current Harbor Garage Project Appears Dead in the Water

Quote:
One of Boston's longest-running development sagas appears to be entering its denouement. Recall that the Chiofaro Company has been trying for more than eight years to redevelop the waterfront's Harbor Garage into a major mixed-use project. Various holdups, including opposition from neighboring residents and City Hall, have stymied the effort. The latest Chiofaro proposal called for a pair of towers stretching to 600 and 550 feet and containing 1,300,000 square feet of condos, offices, retail, and hotel rooms, and encompassing a public space capped by a retractable roof. Mayor Marty Walsh's administration demurred, suggesting a single tower instead, and community opposition was particularly harsh in response to the twin-tower plan. Now it appears that that plan is a definite non-starter, suggesting that the project is once again indefinitely on hold.

What happened to suggest such finality? The city made it clear on Wednesday that it would not allow Chiofaro to build to more than 900,000 square feet total or higher than 600 feet, whatever the number of towers. The developer, for its part, "sounded a conciliatory note," according to the Globe's Tim Logan, and promised to "review our options moving forward." It has said it needs to build bigger to make the project financially feasible.

erbse liked this post
Old January 28th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #747
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The Hub at Causeway: the Details on the Big TD Garden Party

Quote:
State and city officials, along with representatives from developers Delaware North and Boston Properties, attended an official groundbreaking on Wednesday for the Hub on Causeway, the ginormous project slated for the old Boston Garden site along Causeway Street in the West End/North End borderlands. Ultimately, the development will mean more than 1.5 million square feet of shops, restaurants, offices, hotel rooms, and residences, as well as an expansion of nearby TD Garden and transit improvements to North Station. For now, Phase I is underway.

JR2_7625 by City of Boston Mayor's Office, on Flickr

dcasataza, AbidM, skyscraperhighrise liked this post
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #748
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

888 Boylston

IMG_3308 by David Couhig, on Flickr

IMG_3312 by David Couhig, on Flickr

Marky1999, geometarkv liked this post
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #749
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

275 Albany

IMG_2763 by David Couhig, on Flickr

IMG_2760 by David Couhig, on Flickr

Marky1999, AbidM liked this post
Old January 29th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #750
odurandina

+1... A heartbreaker for sure.

I was unrealistically optimistic about this one.

Basically, this had been a single tower project since last June...

1. because Don C does as tall as 'it can be.'
2. Sinking a 1400 space garage + 2 buildings on a project cut down to 900,000 sq ft isn't feasible.

Of course, all that + 1 tower doesn't appear feasible at 900,000 sq ft either.

It was clear months ago he wasn't going to get an inch more. With Chiofaro's deafening silence, it's time to move the Harbor Garage project to the stale proposal list. It really got it's final blow when Prudential affirmed Chiofaro, telling the BRA "we need 1.1 ~1.2million sq ft to make this work."

This city is great. It also blows. At 600'/900,000 sq ft, it would have been an uphill battle as it was..... and starved for height and density (re $$$ starved), i always worried the end product would have been less than it could have been, and thus instantly crucified by the snarky, liberal Bostonian haters and nimby's as well as a good number of others...

Chiofaro is often called a bully. This has never made any sense to me. In any case, Chiofaro's motives get lost in the translation with a lot of people. I don't cast blame with DC, but with people's rampant selfish motives - for allowing such a sentiment to snowball.

To sell the project to the people, the Chiofaro/Pru Group and the BRA need to do a single tower of 1.1M sq ft on a footprint of about 40% of the site...

With Chiofaro's tower located the northeast side of the property, the Greenway expands onto the new, humongous lawn with the wide open harbor at the rear inviting visitors to the harborwalk and docks. Visibility to the harbor is horizontal. If a tower gets built 12 stories or 54 stories, at street level, the view of the waterfront running back up Milk and India Street/s is the same.
This is why the single tower idea works.

Maybe do a Z-shaped walkway across the huge lawn for people coming from the Public Market (+ a rink on one of the enclosed sections in the winter)... New residents from the surrounding neighborhoods can join in 'skating at the harborwalk.'

desertpunk, Sprngh2o liked this post

Last edited by odurandina; February 16th, 2016 at 04:23 AM.
Old February 11th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #751
odurandina

Last edited by odurandina; February 16th, 2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old February 12th, 2016, 02:34 AM   #752
odurandina

Back in (1992), i surfed 15-18' face waves off Boar's Head in Hampton, NH in the dead of Winter during what we called the 'December Storm' a few days before Christmas during the height of the big Noreaster. The inside of Boar's Head and Devereaux Beach in Marblehead are unique, in that that they can be surfed at the height of a storm because the winds blow almost directly offshore.... (of course, that comes with it's own unique hazards). This is probably the most silly/insane storm surf we ever attempted.

(the idea is to jump off the seawall and paddle diagonally into the bay, and see if you can catch a bomb). You have to do a googlemap of the inside of Boar's head just to imagine a stunt this ridiculous. The waves come in and double up against the Seawall JUST LIKE THE NEWPORT WEDGE!

*(to be exact, the wave is not so as much like the North Jetty of the Newport Beach Inlet a.k.a THE WEDGE, but rather, the waves that form at the inside of the Inlet along at the South Jetty). imagine taking on that one at the height of a Noreaster on a dreary, December day!

Attempting this in the summer would be ok, i suppose. but in the winter, it's different. you have a lot of rubber on. the rips are ferocious, and there's nobody around. we were young and stupid.

i was the only one out of 4 who made it out. odd because the other guys were the strongest of paddlers. but i was the first guy in, and timed it just right. i jumped in, paddled my ass off, punched through a big swell, and in a minute or two, i was in the clear. probably 150' off the Seawall.

my bro's (Steve O'hara, Kevin Grondin, and Jeff Jones) are all big, strong dudes. they didn't make it. they destroyed their surfboards when they got slammed into the Seawall 250 yards inside our launch position (what you all know as Hampton's Main Beach).

That storm was probably a bit more intense than the '93 Superstorm 3 months later - because the Decemberstorm was a slow mover, and the Superstorm was a fast mover, building much less of a sea-state). :rolleyes:

Once making it out, i decided i didn't like being there.

but kind of a cool thing happened. a big set began to funnel into the bay. but i actually had to paddle back toward the inside of the bluff to catch it, as i was now drifting into too deep water.

i paddled for maybe the 3rd wave of the set and got it.... a big, clean left, breaking top to bottom. rode it 150 yards into the Main Beach (where the kiddie arcade games are located) ...and straight into the f_cking Seawall, smashing up my 6' 3" [Rusty Preisendorfer] shaped for me.

Boar's Head can get pretty big.

Here's after an exceptionally strong Noreaster went out to sea (circa 2000)....

2 days later, we attempted to surf a clean sandbar off the South Jetty at the mouth of the Merrimack River in Newburyport, Ma. ...2 bro's (that day) and myself felt it was safe, as there were light offshores. The swell still in the water, but well groomed at this point, with a longer period ...we got caught in the rip right away, and were 1/2 mile out to sea before letting go....

looking back, we should have tested the rip in the Summertime.:banghead:

Would have been scary (to be out as far as we ended up), even on a calm, summer's day. ....but on this day, there was no one, and i mean NO watercraft navigating the area. in fact, they hadn't been out the past 3~4 days. :banghead:

The CG would have had a good time running their 65' pleasure craft through the mouth - if there had been someone around to inform them that we were in distress. :banghead:

that was enough silliness. for our winter surfing adventures, we retired to the calmer waters of Rye Beach and Fox Hill, NH, and Monahan's Dock and Matunuck in Rhode Island, where unfortunately, it can get crowded with grouchy Yankees (re; Gretchland types).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J_B4QqBkVI

this is a superb edit of Rye on the Rocks, NH from a recent winter day.....

If only it could hit 2X overhead in the summer.

with my aging bones, i have zero desire to surf cold water....

Rye On the Rocks.....

Last edited by odurandina; February 12th, 2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #753
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

30 Dalton Street.

Angry Sky by Cocoabiscuit, on Flickr
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #754
hseugut

Likes (Received): 784

cool projects !
hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #755
odurandina

The photography you guys post is incredible. Thanks a lot!!

How to reach Mayor Walsh's goal of 53,000 units at least 3 years ahead of schedule...

We'll probably need to.

There has been a lot of mention of gentrification lately regarding new construction of luxury highrises such as Millennium Tower in DXT and new project sites proposed for Boston's neighborhoods...

The biggest risk to gentrification surely has it’s roots in a long extended critical shortage of housing….

Fix housing and everything becomes workable.

From the ‘Making Boston Better for Artists’ article posted in the Globe a few days ago, someone wrote,

"Ask artists who’ve been around for a while, and they’ll tell Mr. Mayor that Boston’s cost of living, including high rents and taxes, is what discourages them from staying…"

Judging by what they post in the Globe, the loud nimby solution to housing might be to just offer people coupons to just up and ‘move away’ from Boston.

Or they suggest ‘sensible building.’ Translation; endless, low brick to fill in the vacant lots, nooks, and burnouts around the city.

It won’t work.

53,000 units by 2030. Good idea. Not easy…

For a long time, we grew at a fraction of the rest of the country. But, in recent years, the population rose by ~90,000 people… Yet, through the years dating back to about 1990, residential construction has lagged behind with relatively few housing units added until this current cycle.

The Donahue Institute projects Boston’s population could swell by about 100,000 more people by 2035.

Boston’s high rents are hitting all but the affluent very hard. The share of homeowners who are ’cost burdened; (spending more than 30 percent of their income on housing) has skyrocketed from about 25 percent in 2000 to about 40% in 2016. Over this time, the number of cost burdened renters increased from about 38% to 55%.

So Mayor Walsh called for 53,000 housing units to be built by 2030…

i don’t know if the people of Boston have a grasp on what 53,000 housing units is going to look like. Judging by the way many opposed to development post, they must live in some form of alternative reality…

If we want people to have a place to live, we’re going to have to become more open to building…

Boston is an urban zone with the eminence to build.

On February 11, 2016, when a proposal to build a 44-story residence tower at the Garden Garage site passed by a vote of 5-0, a few West End residents expressed a mixture of amazement and grief. After 30 years of knocking 10 or 20 floors off every last box turd in the city, instead of caving to the anti-development nimby agenda – the BRA made a principled decision for Boston on one of the last high rise parcels in the city….

The decision to let ‘Equity’ build across the street from the 450 ft Avalon tower at TD Garden was an easy one; and not just because the general location is already disrupted with the Boston Properties podium construction at TD Garden. It was made with many considerations about what’s best for Boston.

A few loud anti-development people are back making noise about another ‘Equity’ build site: a proposed 377’/mixed income/385 unit apartment tower at 45 Worthington Street, in Mission Hill.

Activist, Kathleen Ryan has warned neighborhood residents "You’re next…" followed by the oft heard battle cry announcing; "Evil Developer’s proposed tower is out of scale and wrong for the Mission Hill neighborhood."

Actually, this site can handle 377' easily. It has a bit of separation from other large construction on a non-shade challenged parcel. The low highrise would moderately raise the ceiling of the existing ~230’ neighboring apartment boxes and dorms nearby. It’s a home run.

If not here – where??

Instead of singling out 1 project – we should be talking about exactly what fusion of low, medium and tall building will bring an end to the housing crisis.

To people not fond of development; the real numbers are going to look ‘austere.’

We simply can not reach 53,000 units with infill and mid-rise construction alone. Highrise construction is going to have to be in the picture…. ….When you add up all the infill that will be politically feasible in the coming years, we still come up short by as many as 25,000 units.

You begin to see why we can no-longer build Soviet-era 10 story apartments on our last few +137m highrise parcels… Sites eyed for 10 stories will need to go 18. Others good for 14-18 would need to go higher still.

Before we begin tearing through 2 and 3 story neighborhoods (built of wood) from Allston to Dorchester, we’ll need to build as many as 50-55 ~325 unit resident towers +90-120m throughout the city…. Maybe 15-20 built up to +137m in and immediately adjacent to the High Spine… then each of the neighborhoods getting 2 or 3 going to +90~120m from Brighton to the South End, JP to Dorchester.

We have a few luxury highrises going up and people will move in. It takes many years to plan and build these……. Contrary to what some nimby say, people moving up out of lower cost units into luxury low-skyscrapers most certainly do create vacancies for the next tier below, those people in turn, vacate lower cost units and so on… Luxury housing absolutely contributes to the total number of units coming on line. Still, it isn’t going to make up a significantly large portion of the 53,000. But every bit helps.

Colleges submitted their master plans to bring students in from the brownstones off the Emerald Necklace back into new, tall dorms. More space in the neighborhoods will soon be freed up.

Still, at the present time, it looks like we will not get near to the scale of development (required to bring long-term relief) before the nimby’s will be agitating, hurling endless accusations and slander against Mayor Walsh, Dir Golden, and the BRA/EDIC board.

But the nimby makes a largely, a nonsensical argument that pales in comparison to our housing woes… talking in circles, and defaulting back to a thinly veiled message: ‘the critical needs of Boston are an abstract that does not apply to me or my neighborhood. You can’t build that here because i don’t want that built here. My vote is subject to bribery.’ Then followed by non-denial denials that their mischief isn’t harming Boston. It is.

We can’t fail to provide good, affordable housing where it is critically needed. The large majority of people know we wouldn’t just be telling tens of thousands of talented people who want to come and raise families here ‘sorry, you can’t come…’ Businesses will stop locating to Boston or be forced to leave because their employees can’t find a decent place to live.

With respect to preserving space for office development; we should not build 250 foot box turd offices on our last +180m low skyscraper parcels – or tie them off in nimby red-tape for 15 years;

Decisions on where and how tall for future office and resident highrises cannot be based solely upon 60 year old zoning from the dark ages; a few parcels must be transposed, with more emphasis given to 4 criteria:

1. is it good for Boston?
2. access to transportation that will covered by improvements to the MBTA.
3. shade over green spaces.
4. long term revenue considerations.

City planners know we can’t kick the can down the road any longer.

aquaticko liked this post

Last edited by odurandina; March 7th, 2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #756
odurandina

Saving the last precious few +137m air rights parcels in Boston.

Start at the Blue Hills with Google Earth… This city is green! It's safe to say we want to keep it this way.

Boston in 4 years…. out of options +/- Nuclear options.

There are a lot of people who take notice of big construction in Boston… and yet, many don’t realize that Boston has run out of land for the special class of (+137 meter) highrise buildings and skyscrapers that fall roughly between the height of 33 Arch Street and the John Hancock Tower…

Some will laugh at the claim; but if you peer 4 or 5 years out, and conduct a true examination of what’s really there, you’ll begin to see what developers and city planners see:

Boston has hit a wall. The end of clean, non-politically charged building sites represents a turning point in Boston’s post urban-renewal era – and the implications are fantastic.

First, with all the huge projects like Millennium Tower, The Four Seasons, 1 Canal Triangle, the remaking of Lovejoy Wharf, several highrises, infill and retail planned for the next few years – it all seems pretty good - and the large majority of residents applaud seeing a bit of density added in Boston’s vibrant inner city and outward to the neighborhoods.

When added to what Boston already has, it certainly looks like this City is taking it to the ‘next level’ – if we weren’t already there…. and not just because streets that once were dead zones after 7:00pm are now alive with pedestrians and activity. Corporations have begun to take notice of the immense proportions that Boston offers in education, history, conservation, it’s waterfront, the arts and surrounding coastline – and are more than open to coming to our city. Hollywood loves Boston too. We could be here all day….

Yet, while luxury and middle income housing will likely continue to be absorbed as fast as it is built – the recent bloodbath over Boston’s 3 NEXT big projects in the early phases of development points to trouble for our city just beyond the horizon of the current cycle.

The controversy/s that began over redevelopment proposals at three garage sites in recent months goes a long way to proving the point.

First, in late January, 2016, a misguided activist, Shirley Kressel attempted to sack the 111 Federal St/Winthrop Garage site from a fair and equitable (albeit complex) process to find an appropriate developer by attempting to tying up the garage swap in legal red tape for a few more years.

If this site is held out past the current cycle and the business climate sours – the 685’ Millennium Tower and 755’ Four Seasons Tower might be the last +200m skyscrapers we’ll see built in Boston for a long, long, long time…. This would amount to ~$700M loss of investment capital at this site and tens of millions in tax revenue lost for another decade.

A few days later, Don Chiofaro and Prudential came before the BRA in agreement that they need a minimum of 1.1~1.2M sq ft in what ostensibly, will be a single 600' tower. But in lieu of pressure from Harbor Tower resident opposition + others opposed to zoning changes on the waterfront, the BRA is holding the Chiofaro group to 900,000 sq ft.

2 weeks later, the 485' 44-story residence tower at the Garden Garage across the street from Avalon North Station passed by a vote of 5-0. Some West End residents expressed anger. But, after 30 years of knocking 10 or 20 floors off every last box turd in the city, instead of caving to the anti-development nimby agenda – the BRA decided the City of Boston would get a 485 tower on a +700' FAA limit parcel.

Still, Boston would stand to lose +$1.5B of investment if these 2 garage projects are left to rot.... money that would be put up at significant risk in a shaky economy, adding jobs and hundreds of millions in future tax revenue that could go a long way toward funding affordable housing, the T and the schools. It becomes easy to see; taking the BRA board to task over the sinking of 3 garages isn't just misguided mischief.... It’s insane.

For 25 years, developers came seeking to risk staggering amounts of capital in our High Spine and Downtown. But rampant, anti-development interests won out and killed off or clipped many projects. Many others that would have added jobs and needed tax revenue were left to sit idle, rotting away for years… or by the time something was finally built, the finished building/s arrived missing 10-20 floors…

Offices, apartments or dorms that should have occupied single parcels were denied approval or built sideways robbing another two land sites ripe development… A city reeling after the Big Dig in desperate need for BIG impact revenue sources, was hurt over and over in just this way.

Much of the ‘hurt’ is seen and felt in the lack of affordable housing and with the current state of the MBTA.

Can we all come to some agreement that we can no longer afford to turn away impact projects (that have overwhelming support) and huge upside potential – because a few wealthy activists object to modest increments of density in their neighborhood?

Now, we’re left with only a few parcels in the entirety of Boston free of severe FAA/flight path/radar restrictions – but also meeting the long list of other criteria necessary to build over 137m (+450 to ~625 feet).

The number of relatively clean parcels suitable for building actual skyscrapers +200m (654-790’ high) can be counted in a few seconds….

clean build sites +200m;

1. 1 Bromfield Street/Midwood Development/ diagonally across from Millennium Tower
2. Christian Science Ctr Garage/South corner of the Christian Science Park

there are a few clean sites for 137m to a maximum of 190m (450-625’ ).

1. 380 Stewart Street/John Hancock Tower #3 390 feet roof (BRA approved, moving forward)
2. DOT Parcels/Kneeland Street (a.k.a. Southbay off the rail yards).
3. 1065 Boylston Street and...
4. the 600' long stretch from 147-181 Mass Ave off Boylston St (after zoning).
these 2 or 3 site/s should be saved for +180m in the future.
5. A few last parcels within ~800 feet of Fenway park (after rezoning).

Nuclear... From here, we will soon enter into a new era of building in Boston for the post urban-renewal period. Just over the horizon - after the projects now past the approval phase are complete, highrises built above +450 feet in Boston will virtually all come about as the result of what i term, ‘Nuclear’ construction options; where projects are not only extremely cost-challenged, but loaded political dynamite.

In fact, anyone paying attention to Boston’s big construction in recent months can easily be persuaded that we’ve already begun this transition.

This class of construction requires enormous investment capital up front ranging from about $280~600M for acquisition + demolition + site preparation…. Such examples would include future demolition/s of the Government Service Center, taking down parts of Center Plaza or tear-downs of valuable or condemned garages. Then, preparing deep foundations and sinking garages deep underground – all adding dozens (or hundreds) of millions to the cost - before the cranes, steel and concrete begin to rise above the work sites.

Then, you’re forced to build very tall; (+180 meters/50 floors or higher) to mitigate economic risk.

Tom Menino eyed one such project ten years ago; the run-down/(then, soon to be condemned) garage in Winthrop Square; The $$$ required building very tall… Tom decided Boston should go for 1000 feet here; first to provide the developer with a generous incentive to build, and in return get a huge tax winner and iconic tower for the city.

That’s what redevelopment in Boston looks like in 5 years: a bunch of cost-challenged (nuclear) skyscraper parcels needing +.gov overseeing, sales, sponsorship, spreading tax liability out several years, etc, etc…

3. 111 Federal Street/Winthrop Garage
4. Back Bay MBTA Station redevelopment/Boston Properties
5. Dalton Street Garage/at the Hynes Convention Center
6. Center Plaza/98 Cambridge Street/Shorenstein Properties
7. Government Services Center Building
8. City Hall Plaza

To all who’d love seeing a few skyscrapers added in Boston, that’s about it. New York? Houston? No. In the next 40-50 years, Boston’s high number of +200m towers might reach about a dozen (give or take).

Nuclear sites good for +137m to a maximum of 190m (450-625’)....

6. The Garden Garage/Equity Residential (approved, moving forward).
7. The Harbor Garage/Chiofaro Co./Prudential group.
8. South Station tower; .gov project probably ~5-15 years after USPS relocation and track expansion/BRA approved for +621 feet.
9. 101 Clarendon Street 420 feet Boston’s canceled Mass Pike tower from 2008 (needs .gov help for restart).
10. Colonnade Hotel Boylston Street.
11. Ted Williams Tower (625 feet) 2701 Ipswich Street behind the right field bleachers at Fenway (will require rezoning for 190m). A skyscraper at Fenway Park? God not Fenway-think of the children!!
12. a few parcels near Washington Street and the Mass Pike (after rezoning).

After that, there’s still a few sites for low highrises good for +240-390 feet such as the 377' tower proposed at 45 Worthington Street, and the 3 +280-365' at Tremont Crossing…. the BRA and mayor’s office should loosen height restrictions in various neighborhoods to allow up to 450’ at a few additional sites…. Over time, expect to see more parts of the city grow a bit taller in the low range. yet, here too, we’re getting very low on good parcels for towers over 100m – and they’ll continue to be met with fierce neighborhood opposition.

Lastly, about the 2 remaining garages stirring up the nimby activism.

1 +750’ Skyscraper at 111 Federal Street/Winthrop Garage site – taken hostage by a misguided activist – instead of being put to work for the people of Boston.
2. The sinking of the Harbor Garage for what the Chiofaro group need in a single, 600’ tower: Don Chiofaro and Prudential need 1.1~1.2M sq ft of space, and Boston will have it’s first and last 180m tower along the waterfront.

People don’t need to worry that the waterfront will be harmed. After the low-rise Bullfinch Triangle construction save for the Harbor Garage Tower, the entire area down here is built.

The real agenda behind the Harbor Towers’ objection to the Garage redevelopment is their
1. temporary loss of parking.
2. permanent loss of DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT to the Greenway, Custom House, Public Market, and for those living up in the higher floors, views out toward (Beacon Hill and the Esplanade).

At street level, the existing garage’s footprint is absolutely huge…. The 310’ long building is blocking nearly 100% of the view to the harbor from behind the Greenway.

Bryant Park comes to the Boston Waterfront;

To sell the project to the people, the Chiofaro/Pru Group and the BRA need to do a single tower of 1.1M sq ft on a footprint of about 40% of the site…

With Chiofaro’s tower located the northeast side of the property, the Greenway expands onto the (now), humongous lawn with the wide open harbor at the rear inviting visitors to the harborwalk and docks. Visibility to the harbor is horizontal. If a tower gets built 12 stories or 54 stories, at street level, the view of the waterfront and harbor running back up Milk and India Street/s is the same.

This is why the single tower idea works.

Maybe do a Z-shaped walkway across the massive lawn for people coming from the Public Market to have a short path to the Harbor (+ maybe a rink on one of the enclosed sections in the winter). New residents from the surrounding neighborhoods can join in ‘skating at the harborwalk.’

We can't allow a good project to die over 200,000 sq ft on the only significant structure that will be built in the area for a very long, long, long, long, long time.

The next one: We should build a +700’ skyscraper at Back Bay Station with a conical top spire similar to 1 Liberty Place in Philadelphia (to reduce shade over Copley Sq to a only just thin stick gliding over the the park). Not 2 more crappy box turds. Why? It’s a skyscraper parcel. We need to build the right way here or wait a few years.

Letting nimby’s reduce the size of so many projects has cost the city jobs and hundreds of millions in lost taxes every year.

Allowing an activist delay the process for many more years at 111 Federal/Winthrop Square would cost Boston taxpayers and hard working families hundreds of millions in lost revenue for badly needed housing projects.

Wealthy people living in highrise district/s in a growing city, having their property values skyrocket – then expecting nothing to EVER be built next door-isn’t only selfish, it’s evil.

It’s time for everyone; not just the people who build our city, the fine men and women in the trades, iron workers, carpenters, pipe-fitters, electricians, plumbers, drywallers, and painters to take stock of the harm a few wealthy people are doing to our city’s future.

It’s time to let our voices be heard that we support the actions Mayor Walsh, the City Council and Brian Golden are taking to conserve these last precious parcels. Building tall in a few spaces where it is appropriate, will incrementally allow us to head off what will be forced upon us next…

Last edited by odurandina; March 8th, 2016 at 02:40 AM.
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #757
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

Prudential Center's Long Awaited Final Phase Nears Completion

Quote:
The exterior is just about complete, with some cosmetic finishing being applied at the base and the top. While it's not the tallest building in Boston, 888 Boylston represents the fourth and final office tower of the Prudential Center complex, one of the United States' most successful urban mixed-use districts.

888 Boylston construction nears completion, image by Hub

Marky1999, erbse liked this post
tateyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #758
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

380 Stuart Street Proposal to Join Growing Back Bay Highrise Cluster

Quote:
Designed by Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM) in collaboration with CBT Architects, 380 Stuart Street will bring a new architectural style to the neighbourhood. Indeed, with a height of only 27 storeys for 118 meters, the edifice will have a strong presence in the streetscape thanks to generous curves. Starting at street level, an arched gateway fronting Stuart Street will frame the entrance of the 58,000-square-metre building, then extend on each side of the tower as a parapet above the street-level restaurant and other retail spaces.

phoenixboi08, odurandina liked this post
tateyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #759
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

I hope that tower keeps the pocket park next door to the milquetoast building currently on the site.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 04:37 AM   #760
citylover94

Likes (Received): 91

Sadly that little open space there is going to be built on which can be seen in the project documents available on the Boston Redevelopment Authority website.
citylover94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston