daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #101
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

Boston is considered beautiful? by whom? I lived in Boston for years and it is basically one of the oldest and ugliest cities in North America. it has a third class subway system for a world class city. the streets are laughable especially in the downtown area and makes you wonder if you're indeed North America or in some other country. it is by far the least American looking city there is. they say it looks a lot like London, now I've never been to London but if it does look like Boston then I'll pass. now Cambridge on the other hand is much better.
mike7743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #102
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

this isn't the correct thread to discuss Boston's beautifulness/uglyness. You didn't provide any evidence saying why it's ugly; yes the subway does suck; "laughable" streets? wtf does that mean? And yes, it doesn't look "American", but that contributes to its uniqueness and that's why millions of tourists visit it every year, if people wanted a generic American city, they can go to Fresno, or Los Angeles. Not looking stereotypically North American is a plus, the point of visiting Boston is to get a unique experience, including wondering whether you are in another continent! Boston's uniqueness is very beautiful, and while the development process is ridiculously slow, you can't really bash the existing built environment. Cambridge is almost the same as Boston, I don't see much differences that would make you think it's better.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #103
DShoost88

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7743 View Post
Boston is considered beautiful? by whom? I lived in Boston for years and it is basically one of the oldest and ugliest cities in North America.
Hmm... I think you're right. Boston is just so old:

I suppose it does make me wonder if I'm in North America:

But as I always say: To each their own.

Frankly, I couldn't be happier in another city in North America. I would turn down any skyscraper-canyon-laden, mediterranean-climatic, culturally-deprived, sprawling-suburban-wasteland North American City any day if it meant I could hop a ride for $1.70 on Boston's third-class Green Line "T" Trolley in the world class city that has taken no time for me to call home.

DShoost88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #104
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I think Boston would be the most interesting city in North America. I love the old architecture, it's really stunning. Boston looks so beautiful and interesting, I'd love to visit one day.

Plus the accent is pure sex.
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #105
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
this isn't the correct thread to discuss Boston's beautifulness/uglyness. You didn't provide any evidence saying why it's ugly; yes the subway does suck; "laughable" streets? wtf does that mean? And yes, it doesn't look "American", but that contributes to its uniqueness and that's why millions of tourists visit it every year, if people wanted a generic American city, they can go to Fresno, or Los Angeles. Not looking stereotypically North American is a plus, the point of visiting Boston is to get a unique experience, including wondering whether you are in another continent! Boston's uniqueness is very beautiful, and while the development process is ridiculously slow, you can't really bash the existing built environment. Cambridge is almost the same as Boston, I don't see much differences that would make you think it's better.

people don't come to Boston to see narrow streets, old buildings and people with bad accents. people visit Boston because of it's historical significance. they go to Boston common and follow the freedom trail, see the state house, do a bus tour e.t.c. Boston's beauty isn't the reason why people attracted to it since it doesn't have any but rather what Boston meant to our country in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShoost88 View Post
Frankly, I couldn't be happier in another city in North America. I would turn down any skyscraper-canyon-laden, mediterranean-climatic, culturally-deprived, sprawling-suburban-wasteland North American City any day if it meant I could hop a ride for $1.70 on Boston's third-class Green Line "T" Trolley in the world class city that has taken no time for me to call home.

I'm just laughing at your post here. lol @ you posting pictures of a block of copley square to show how modern/beautiful Boston is. I lived in Boston for a long time and I know Boston in and out but now I'm happy that I moved away from that place. hey I'm not saying Boston is horrible but it isn't a city one should take pride on (especially considering it's status you would expect it to be a lot better than it is) so there is no need to get defensive here, on the bright side things could have been worse. hopefully Menino and his team get their stuff together and put Boston back on the map again.

Boston needs to follow in Chicago's footsteps and change it's looks in such a short time, as it shown here.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=678912
mike7743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #106
DShoost88

Likes (Received): 885

Again, Mike7743: To each their own.
DShoost88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #107
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Quote:
people don't come to Boston to see narrow streets, old buildings and people with bad accents. people visit Boston because of it's historical significance. they go to Boston common and follow the freedom trail, see the state house, do a bus tour e.t.c. Boston's beauty isn't the reason why people attracted to it since it doesn't have any but rather what Boston meant to our country in general.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=678912
I'm pretty sure there there are some architectural tourists, and tourists from Europe do like the narrow streets, "quaint" accents, etc... Tourists come back from Boston saying how "charming" and "cute" it is, and part of that charming and cuteness is the beautiful narrow streets. Boston is unrivled in the United States with having a dense urban fabric except by New York and Philadelphia, and Boston's is the most Euro-style with large beautiful mid-rise neighborhoods. Yes, Boston should change faster but that's because of the bureaucracy, I wish the permitting process wasn't so maddeningly slow. There is a part of Boston you may like in 10-15 years, the Seaport, it is finally developing and it will have the wide streets and grid pattern you like.
Third-world subway is gradually getting better with more money from increased ridership, and extensive (albeit ultra slow) renovations of many stations. The main problem is one of money, the government doesn't seem to want to fund it, its main funding is 20% of the sales tax.
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #108
Gonzalo90uy

Likes (Received): 2

Boston is wonderful. I love its oldest buildings!
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #109
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Jacob Wirth's tower, proposed:

Plan: Bar is Wirth keeping
No demo of historic building
By Jay Fitzgerald | Wednesday, July 30, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets

Part of the historic Jacob Wirth building on Stuart Street won’t be torn down after all.

A second developer has stepped in with a new proposal to build a 24-story, 252,000-square-foot retail and office tower on what is now a parking lot next to the famed German restaurant and bar.

The head of Eastat Realty Capital LLC, which hopes to start construction on the $140 million project by next year, said community opposition to an earlier plan to demolish portions of the 140-year-old Jacob Wirth building convinced him to avoid changes at the adjoining 31-37 Stuart Street site.

“We didn’t want to deal with the resistance,” said Eastat’s Eamon O’Marah. “We think we have a great project now.”

In 2006, Weston Associates proposed building a 108-room hotel, 181 residential units and 219 parking spaces at the two-parcel site. The plan would have knocked down the back side of Jacob Wirth and eventually replaced its kitchen.

Weston later backed out of the plan, citing market woes.

But many critics made it clear they didn’t want to see the Jacob Wirth building touched, O’Marah said.

Though Eastat will “control the site” of Jacob Wirth under the current development agreement, Kevin Fitzgerald will continue to own and operate the restaurant, O’Marah said.

Plans for the new complex include 170 parking places and retail space and a cafe on the first two floors. Entrances would be on Stuart Street in the front and LaGrange Street, which is also home to strip club Centerfolds, in the back, O’Marah said.

Financing has not yet been secured.

There will also be a public “winter garden” on the first two floors and six roof gardens for drainage, environmental and aesthetic purposes, O’Marah said.

The city needs to approve the proposal.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business...icleid=1109914

This is the site where it will be built:

Old August 17th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #110
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Construction update:

W Hotel:

IMG]http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/8593/img7851xu0.jpg[/IMG]

Columbus Center on hold...

Russia Wharf:

Two International Center:

45 Province:

The Clarendon:

Fan Pier:

Battery Wharf nearing completion:

Avenir:

And finally, renders of new towers for the Prudential Center!

Thanks for checking this monster update, probably a bit too big lol
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #111
NorthaBmore

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Boston is considered beautiful? by whom? I lived in Boston for years and it is basically one of the oldest and ugliest cities in North America. it has a third class subway system.
You think boston is ugly? I live and Baltimore and I think boston is incredibly beautiful compared to Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. In my opinion it's comparable to washingtonDC. It's very different than DC, but comparable. I would rate the NE
1. NYC
2. BOS or DC
3. HARTFORD
4. PHILA
5. BMORE
6. PROVIDENCE
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #112
NorthaBmore

Quote:
it has a third class subway system for a world class city.
Be thankful for what you have

compare this to philadelphia:

or especially baltimore:

and you've got a great subway system
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #113
tmac14wr

Likes (Received): 28

I know that the T isn't perfect...but I certainly wouldn't call it 3rd world. What American cities have better subway systems? NYC, Chicago, DC? Maybe? I know NYC definitely does, but I can't really think of many others that wipe the floor with the T....mainly because no one rides the subway outside of the Northeast/Rustbelt.

Are you simply talking about the aesthetic appearance of the T, or the actual coverage of it?
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #114
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

I'd have to say the Green line "B" is quite poor, third-world standards are actually quite high so the T has a lot to look up to. Anyway, what other major city has commuter ferries? The T has more modes of transportation than most other rapid transit systems, so the quality and coverage is quite good. However, the stations look like shit, but most of them are being renovated. Wait 5 or so years (of course the construction is ultra slow), you'll have a different perspective. Besides, the worst of the T doesn't even come close to normal conditions on New York Subway, that truly is an experience in itself.

The T goes through some very beautiful places, look at this picture (it's a 1940s refurbrished trolly, beautiful and one of the many diverse modes of transportation), it is pure New England beauty:

The stations themselves may not be so good, but the price, coverage, and service are great, making it one of the best rapid transit systems for a city of this size (~1.5 million covered by the T).
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #115
NorthaBmore

Charles/MGH station is really nice looking imo.
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #116
reittrader

Likes (Received): 0

I've lived in NYC, Boston and DC and I would rate the cities in that order, with Boston and DC a close call.
reittrader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #117
NorthaBmore

I'm from baltimore and the Back Bay is so big compared to our Mt.Vernon
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #118
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Cook + Fox's winning design proposal for One Congress Street in Boston.

A major Boston developer has proposed replacing one of Bostonís biggest eyesores with one of the largest, greenest developments in city history. The Raymond Property Company has filed a proposal with the city for One Congress Street, a four-million-square-foot office, residential, and retail development. The project would redefine the skyline, with two towers reaching 42 and 52 stories that rise from a series of smaller buildings intended to mask their scale. The developer selected Cook + Fox as designer from a shortlist of five notable firms.

If realized, One Congress will replace the Government Center Garage, a 150-foot-tall, two-football-field-long concrete bunker that spans Congress Street and slices the Haymarket area in two. Like its Brutalist neighbor City Hall, the garage was designed by Kallmann, McKinnell & Knowles.

LINK: http://archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=3268
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #119
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Boston needs some updates... I've got them. Now excuse me while I bump this thread to the next page.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #120
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Bump
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston