daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:08 AM   #41
Hamzawi

Likes (Received): 18

I am Middle Eastern and Omanis have a reputation for being very kind people and the country for being very peaceful. The country likes to keep a low profile we actually rarely hear about it on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal73x View Post
I visited Oman last year and felt very safe. It's definitely much safer than many "western" cities.
I also went on couple of road trips away from the coast/inland and I was welcomed everywhere I went.

Kanadzie liked this post
Hamzawi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:10 AM   #42
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Oman is more peaceful than the United States according to the 'Global Peace Index'.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Sal73x liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 12:24 AM   #43
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I guess a lot of people have never heard of Oman. And this is not a bad sign, since, when countries in that area are often mentioned in the media, usually it's not for good things...
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:18 AM   #44
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

you know how they say ,no news is good news

AlexisMD liked this post
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #45
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Al Batinah Expressway

Recent Google Earth imagery shows that the entire 265 kilometer Al Batinah Expressway is now under construction. It is the largest road project in Oman. I mapped it out based on available imagery:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Sal73x liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #46
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The new Al Batinah Expressway west of Muscat seems to have designated lanes for trucks. The right lane is for trucks while the left three lanes appear to be for cars or passing.

Blackraven liked this post
Old January 14th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #47
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Al Batinah Expressway

The northernmost segment of the Al Batinah Expressway opens to traffic tomorrow (15 January). It is an 18 kilometer segment from Route 3 at Shinas to the northern end of the motorway at Route 1 near Khatmat Milaha.

It is the second segment of the Al Batinah Expressway to open. More segments are planned to open during 2017. The expressway has a planned length of 265 kilometers.

Sal73x, 8166UY, ntom, EasySeven, pai nosso and 1 others liked this post
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:16 AM   #48
ntom

I was really impressed when I saw these developments in Oman. But, I don't fully understand why would Oman, a country with 4 milion people, would need these grandiose highways? Do they make them because they're dirt cheap to build there and actually have more money to spend than their expenses? Or do they really need them and are planning for the future? I can be very much wrong, but I don't see how will this expressway be fully utilized, even considering that most of the population lives by the coast.

Last edited by ntom; January 16th, 2017 at 02:01 AM.
ntom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #49
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The expressway forms a bypass of the fairly densely populated coastal area of Al Batinah. But it runs quite far inland (15 - 25 km) so for traffic within the area, it is a detour because traffic has to go out of its way to reach the expressway, and then backtrack to the coast.

I too think that eight lanes is grossly oversized, four lanes would've been adequate as well, considering that it will serve mostly long-distance traffic.

The current coastal road (Highway 1) is a dual carriageway, with various degrees of grade-separation. Some roundabouts have been replaced with overpasses and virtually the entire route has frontage roads to separate slow traffic and driveway access from through traffic.

Perhaps they want to develop inland areas. Some industry has developed inland from Sohar.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #50
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

My understanding is that these freeways are incredibly cheap to construct as the land is so flat and so little bridge infrastructure is required. Making them 8 lanes also allows for extremely high travel speeds, which you can see has been designed for judging by the minimum corner radii on the freeway. 8 lanes means you are essentially never going to be caught behind a slower driver, and lets you do 160-170km/h all the way without issue. Doing those speeds makes it worthwhile to detour out into the desert to take this road. doing those speeds would let you travel the entire highway in around 1.5 hours.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think the Al Batinah Expressway is ultra cheap to construct. It runs along the foothills of the Al Hajar Mountains, which means there is a lot of periodic runoff through the wadis. Google Earth imagery indicates there are a substantial number of bridges.
Old January 17th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #52
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
My understanding is that these freeways are incredibly cheap to construct as the land is so flat and so little bridge infrastructure is required. Making them 8 lanes also allows for extremely high travel speeds, which you can see has been designed for judging by the minimum corner radii on the freeway. 8 lanes means you are essentially never going to be caught behind a slower driver, and lets you do 160-170km/h all the way without issue. Doing those speeds makes it worthwhile to detour out into the desert to take this road. doing those speeds would let you travel the entire highway in around 1.5 hours.
But if police catch you speeding (tempolimit 120) they'll chop off your foot

Heck... 160-170 km/h on, say, Hwy 407 is practical and not even uncommon... but our police will chop you too...

simondanut liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:29 AM   #53
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntom View Post
I was really impressed when I saw these developments in Oman. But, I don't fully understand why would Oman, a country with 4 milion people, would need these grandiose highways? Do they make them because they're dirt cheap to build there and actually have more money to spend than their expenses? Or do they really need them and are planning for the future? I can be very much wrong, but I don't see how will this expressway be fully utilized, even considering that most of the population lives by the coast.
Hehe
Two words my friend = OIL MONEY

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:37 PM   #54
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Al Batinah Expressway

A 45 kilometer segment of the Al Batinah Expressway is set to open on 5 March. It runs from Barka (Hwy 13) to Al Hazm (Hwy 11).

http://timesofoman.com/article/10395...ge-set-to-open
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #55
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Al Batinah Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
7 December 2017

A 17 kilometer section of the Al Batinah Expressway opened to traffic in Oman, between Al Hazm (Route 11) and the exit to Al Suwaiq.

http://timesofoman.com/article/123385
If I managed to keep up with all the inaugurations of the Al Batinah Expressway correctly, some 160 out of the planned 265 km is now open to traffic.

Sal73x, Corvinus, pai nosso, SSCwarrior liked this post