daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #341
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

decreasing population in the inner city but increasing car ownership rates and an increasing suburban population means you lose population but gain congestion.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #342
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
decreasing population in the inner city but increasing car ownership rates and an increasing suburban population means you lose population but gain congestion.
Ah I see.

I'm not sure why the locals there would want to move away from the capital city that much? So where do those locals go to? Jelgava perhaps?

In any case, for the Latvian situation, I personally don't see it as a bad thing...

Just my opinion =)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 03:32 AM   #343
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

dedicating 100% of transportation dollars to roads in urban areas runs into issues, specifically the Downs–Thomson paradox.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:11 PM   #344
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
dedicating 100% of transportation dollars to roads in urban areas runs into issues, specifically the Downs–Thomson paradox.
^Hmm........I wonder if Sir ChrisZwolle will agree with what you said.

In any case, I personally believe that yes, no one should put all eggs into one basket......and IMHO, a mixed selection of multiple transport modes should be available.

However, if that's what the Latvian government wants, then what can us outsiders do. Sure maybe perhaps the locals can clamor for improvements in public transport there (beyond the usual buses and trolleybuses and surface trams).

That's assuming if change does happen

Otherwise, what choice is there?

As for me, I'm planning a one week Baltic vacation sometime in the next 2-5 years. I only see two outcomes

1) If Rail Baltica is up and running by then, then perhaps I may just rely on it and some taxi cabs (or hotel shuttle)

OR

2) Rail Baltica is not finished. That means that I'm renting a car during my whole trip (pick up from Helsinki, Finland and return it when I reach Warsaw, Poland)

P.S.
On a slightly related note:

Since you're from Ontario, then I would like to say just one thing for now

If the results of the upcoming Pearson Airport Rail Link are good (enough), then it might perhaps relieve some pressure off the 401.....for people traveling to and from the airport.

We'll see....
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:23 PM   #345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19404

Quote:
This assumes that people easily shift from driving to transit and from transit to driving, based on highway speeds (congestion). However, it leaves out an important point, namely that transit cannot compete with driving on virtually all trips if you consider door-to-door travel times. Even with congestion, driving is often still faster.

That is also why the bulk of transit share is from and to the CBD, which is the only commute link where transit can offer competitive travel times. However 80 - 90% of metropolitan commuting is not to the CBD, which is why transit won't help much to reduce overall congestion.

Cities with a high transit share continue to be significantly congested, and cities with lack of freeways have a very high Travel Time Index (congestion). In fact, Vancouver, often cited as a poster child for transit vs highway developments, suffers from the highest TTI in North America. American cities continue to have low transit shares, but also rank the lowest on the worldwide TTI lists (= least congestion) with a few exceptions.

Some say you cannot build your way out of congestion, but you certainly cannot "transit" cities out of congestion either. You need a good mix of both public transit and time-based congestion management (tolled express lanes) if highway expansion options are exhausted.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven, devo, Natomasken liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #346
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The source of the wiki is better
http://newfocusintl.com/driving-in-north-korea/

Picture looks authentic, and with the stupid looking "4" typical to NK only

That said, what NK'er has a car to drive? It's just apparatchiks and apparatchiks, and the occasional worker with his poorly made imitation of a GAZ-51 powered by wood gas generator, which is probably not even able to reach 40 km/h...
What it takes for an average Nk'er to have a car? Well, nothing, even though private car posession was always LEGAL, there is no way an average person can afford it, since in Pyongyang salaries are roughly 20 US$/month. That being said, money is the magic word. Since 1990's there is a new class of well connected traders, who bribe state-owned companies, which are usually cash-strapped and register car with them, thus avoiding all kinds of buraucratic hassle associated with buying and registering a car. Furthermore, there is a significant number of ethnic Koreans repatriated from Japan, who could afford cars, mostly imported from Japan itself, and from Eastern Europe. For example, there is a surprising number of Dacia 1300s in Pyongyang. There is a taxi-service too. When it comes to apparatchicks, every ministry and state institution has its own number plate (e.g. the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' number is 25), successful athletes, artists and scientists get their own cars, and the VVIPs get them too. The VERY special license plate is 2*16, which means that the car was a gift from Kim Jong Il himself. When it comes to speed restrictions, no one gives a damn about them, since if one has a car, he/she is well-connected and has an awful lot of money, so the traffic police dares not to enforce it, focusing their attention to bicycle riders and pedestrians.
Need4Weed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #347
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Likes (Received): 129

North Korea will not be able to implement vehicles into their economy for years to come, or atleast until they can feed their own people. Pyongyang, Chongjin and nearly every other city including highways would need a total transformation for traffic volume and safety of course. Money pit.
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #348
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Provincial border sign
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #349
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Kris™ View Post
North Korea will not be able to implement vehicles into their economy for years to come, or atleast until they can feed their own people. Pyongyang, Chongjin and nearly every other city including highways would need a total transformation for traffic volume and safety of course. Money pit.
What do you mean by that? They already have five vehicle factories (Nampho, Tokchon, Chongjin, Pyongyang and Pyongsong), and their road infrastructure is actually oversized, given the number of cars in their country, and the acute fuel shortages. When it comes to safety, they have a laissez-faire approach to it. Accidents occur very frequently.
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #350
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Weed View Post
What do you mean by that? They already have five vehicle factories (Nampho, Tokchon, Chongjin, Pyongyang and Pyongsong), and their road infrastructure is actually oversized, given the number of cars in their country, and the acute fuel shortages. When it comes to safety, they have a laissez-faire approach to it. Accidents occur very frequently.
In terms of safe intersections for the amount of traffic they would have, they would be extremely dangerous. Yes in many areas of NK the roads are oversized for current volume. Even with the factories they have , most of the time Pyongyang has very few cars on its roadways. Being the largest city population and in size if I am correct, that implies that most of the public does not have a vehicle. The bicycle deal they have going is great in my opinion.

Essentially they may just need more roads for volume, that is price may come in.
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #351
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

How can being extremely poor and oppressed be a good thing?!

Obviously if they had economic freedom, first they would produce food ahead of cars. But it is easy to get cars and food if the people have economic liberty, just like in any other country where they do.

but what use would be cars in a country where people cannot freely travel even inside the country?

Last edited by Kanadzie; March 12th, 2014 at 01:37 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #352
Airman Kris™
Infrastructure Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
How can being extremely poor and oppressed be a good thing?!

Obviously if they had economic freedom, first they would produce food ahead of cars. But it is easy to get cars and food if the people have economic liberty, just like in any other country where they do.

but what use would be cars in a country where people cannot freely travel even inside the country?
Please enlighten me to where I said it was ? I said bikes are not a bad thing they do have, They should be lucky to have those.

I am not sure if you are an American, but I am and will be the first one to tell anyone and understand that yes indeed economic freedom is good for the people.

I am really not sure what you got out of my post to say that
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #353
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Kris™ View Post
In terms of safe intersections for the amount of traffic they would have, they would be extremely dangerous. Yes in many areas of NK the roads are oversized for current volume. Even with the factories they have , most of the time Pyongyang has very few cars on its roadways. Being the largest city population and in size if I am correct, that implies that most of the public does not have a vehicle. The bicycle deal they have going is great in my opinion.

Essentially they may just need more roads for volume, that is price may come in.
The volume won't change, at least for the next couple of years. When it comes to road safety, outside of major cities, they don't give a damn about it, to put it mildly. Pyongyang has quite a few cars though, but overall car ownership per 100,000 people in NK is one of the lowest in world, if not the lowest. Even in Pyongyang, having a car is a luxury. Private car ownership is technically legal, but it comes with way too many strings attached, so it's easier to bribe someone and register a car on a state-owned company or something.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:02 AM   #354
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

NK has probably the largest cycling paths network in the word

As for cars, you can easily find decent used cars in Europe for less than 1'500 EUR. I believe that in Asia, especially in neighboring China, you could find for even less than that, as per example, for Chinese cars.

Other option is to produce own small, technically simple and cheap cars, with obsolete technology, but in mass production; as was once the case with the Fiat 126p in Poland, or the Trabant in GDR, who's permitted to massively motorize those countries.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #355
suvi genije

Likes (Received): 199

Yeah, Mr Keynes, NK leaders are not your fans, they prefer Maltus

That road to Nampo looks impressive without cars...
suvi genije no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #356
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

All these roads need massive renovations before traffic can start using them
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:35 PM   #357
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

THE NEW ASIAN TIGER - Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Here are two recent photos of Pyongyang.

The North Korean economic boom.

Traffic jam.

Corvinus, Losbp, Luki_SL liked this post
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:59 PM   #358
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Wow!!!

Let's not forget, though, that the capital is a showcase of that one-man dictatorship; being a resident of Pyongyang is kind of a privilege. Plus, the photos broadcast by NK media or taken by tourists (where allowed!!) show only the better-off parts of the city.

One always has to consider the impoverished, often stone-age like countryside to have a comprehensive picture of this country.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM   #359
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2899

I can't believe that the human race has actually come to a point where people are happy about traffic jams as they are a sign of progress and prosperity...

Guajiro1, Shrimpo7, GmoRioJaneiro liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:29 AM   #360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19404

Traffic congestion is a sign of economic growth. For example traffic congestion in the San Francisco Bay Area peaked during the dot com bubble.

However it is also a sign of infrastructure unable to keep up with growth.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote