daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1
shivy

Likes (Received): 0

INDIA | High Speed Rail

Fast move: Mumbai may get maglev trains
FE
Posted online: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 0000 hrs Print Email

Mumbai, December 17: Mumbaikars could soon find relief from the crowded suburban trains in the form of state-of-the-art magnetic levitation (or maglev) trains running at speeds of up to 300 kmph.

Six bidders on Monday filed expressions of interest, with the Maharashtra government, for appointment as consultants for the mega project. The bidders are: Louis Berger Group in association with Reliance Industries-promoted Urban Infrastructure Development Company, KPMG, Vossing (Germany), TÜV SÜD South Asia, Rohit Gupta & Associates, and Bhobe & Associates.

The consultants will be appointed to carry out a feasibility study and help the state government prepare the bidding document for the project, the cost for which has been varyingly estimated at Rs 8,000-30,000 crore.

A senior state government official said: “The proposed high-speed rail is for 6 routes in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, including potential maglev lines. The distances for each route would be between 20 km and 50 km. Besides, a passenger-cum-freight railway corridor between Mumbai and Nagpur is also part of the project.”

The consultants would furnish the final cost estimates and submit a feasibility report. The project will be developed on a build-operate-transfer basis. Experts say a maglev train would typically cost Rs 300 crore per km. In China, a maglev train operates on a 30-km line and achieves a top speed of 501 kmph.

In the fast lane

•Proposed high-speed rail is for 6 routes in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region.

•Distances for each route would be between 20 km and 50 km.

•A passenger-cum-freight railway corridor between Mumbai and Nagpur is also part of the project
shivy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #2
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Good news, but as we all know it'll take Mumbai sometime before they actually get it built.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Yappofloyd

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Mumbai may get maglev trains
Is it end of year sillyhour? Mumbai has about as much of a chance having a Maglev line built as Tibet has of becoming independent before the Beijing Olympics! Too many of these silly Maglev fantasies pop up in places that really seems absurd.

Sounds like a big corrupt scam to waste some public money by conducting a feasibility study. Given all the trouble aquiring land for the metro lines perhaps the Maharashtra government should concentrate assisting Mumbai on the metro and then perhaps works towards a non-Maglev HSR line north and east.
Yappofloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #4
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

is there a more or less official website, that shows what they are planning and especially who is proposing this?

I mean a website like www.dbmagnetbahn.de or www.smtdc.com or so...
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Who are you ?

Likes (Received): 1

i think this news already appeared in indian news 2 years ago

http://www.expressindia.com/news/ful...p?newsid=48769

they aimed to get it to 500 km/h, why scale it down now ?

Report from Guardian news

Mumbai plans prestige maglev train to combat overcrowding

Randeep Ramesh in New Delhi
Wednesday December 19, 2007
The Guardian

India's financial capital, Mumbai, is considering a £3.75bn futuristic magnetic levitation high-speed train network as a part of a radical overhaul of the infrastructure of the city whose transport system is bursting at the seams.
The Maharashtra state government wants up to six maglev routes, of between 16 to 30 miles, linking the port city to the suburbs. The role model appears to be Shanghai's maglev train, which links the Chinese city's underground with the international airport and runs at up to 268mph.

Mumbai plans prestige maglev train to combat overcrowding

Randeep Ramesh in New Delhi
Wednesday December 19, 2007
The Guardian

India's financial capital, Mumbai, is considering a £3.75bn futuristic magnetic levitation high-speed train network as a part of a radical overhaul of the infrastructure of the city whose transport system is bursting at the seams.
The Maharashtra state government wants up to six maglev routes, of between 16 to 30 miles, linking the port city to the suburbs. The role model appears to be Shanghai's maglev train, which links the Chinese city's underground with the international airport and runs at up to 268mph.

Mumbai's railways were boycotted only last week by thousands of commuters because of the "deadly" overcrowding. Passenger groups say that on average every square metre of railway carriage accommodates 17 people on each trip.
The situation is likely to worsen as Mumbai's population doubles in 10 years or so to 30 million people. Experts say the city will have to spread beyond its island.

"I think the money is not an issue, neither is the technology. The problem here is whether Mumbai is ready for the kind of expansion envisaged. Maglev is a good start but we need more innovative thinking," said Hafeez Contractor, an architect who advised the government.

Maglev trains, which are lifted by magnetism to leave a small gap between them and the elevated track, have a spotty record. In Japan the expected exorbitant costs meant plans to build a maglev line between Tokyo and Osaka hit the buffers. And critics of Shanghai's maglev train say it haemorrhages money and the high speeds cannot be justified over short distances.

In India many say the prestige project would divert precious resources. "Half of Mumbai lives in slums with no sewers," said Sheila Patel, of Sparc, a group which works with the city's poor. "The city has begun to suffer power shortages for the first time in living memory. These are base infrastructure problems that we have to deal with. I cannot see how spending money on high-speed trains is a good idea in the circumstances."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBZwLkvpFI

Santa is waiting for you

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

Last edited by Who are you ?; December 29th, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
Who are you ? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #6
Who are you ?

This news makes one wonder if india really wants to sort out the transportation problem or it just wants to follow shanghai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WBZwLkvpFI

Santa is waiting for you

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm
Who are you ? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #7
pflo777
BANNED

thanks for the link...but again, thats only media reports.

Isnt there something official availabe?
A website of a town/traffic planning institute, that deals with it.
Maybe a map that show the whole undertaking?

It all sounds like a huge joke to me.... something not ment serious, but to make a lot of media echo..
Old December 29th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18142

Shouldn't they build a subway system first?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #9
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

MAGLEV is way to expensive even for super-rish countries.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #10
pflo777
BANNED

if I understood it right, they would like to build it completely privately financed, like a tollway.
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #11
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4724

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivy View Post
Mumbai, December 17: Mumbaikars could soon find relief from the crowded suburban trains in the form of state-of-the-art magnetic levitation (or maglev) trains running at speeds of up to 300 kmph.
That's strange: why do they need to build a Maglev (or Transrapid ?) if they wants to run up to 300 kph ? Maglev should be built to reach 450 or even 500 kph: an HSR is cheaper, use existing stations, an can run to 320/360 kph.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:34 AM   #12
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Why don't they modernize their railway system and possibly create a metro first?
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #13
VikramRao

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you ? View Post
This news makes one wonder if india really wants to sort out the transportation problem or it just wants to follow shanghai.
Why would you say that ? India and China have problems such as overcrowding which are unique to us and only us. So if China finds a solution to one of its problems which happens to be similar to ours why wouldnt we use it if it helps ease us ?
VikramRao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #14
pflo777
BANNED

is there something like a map with the suggested lines online?

its hard to imagine what exactly they plan over there.
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #15
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramRao View Post
Why would you say that ? India and China have problems such as overcrowding which are unique to us and only us. So if China finds a solution to one of its problems which happens to be similar to ours why wouldnt we use it if it helps ease us ?
Because China's Maglev is a ego boosting "look at us" project to show off what the Chinese government have accomplished in the past 20 years.

Does the Indian government want to show the world their accomplishments as well?
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:26 AM   #16
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

good news, happy for Mumbai
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM   #17
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramRao View Post
Because the maglev was a complete and utter white elephant for Shanghai. The Shanghai maglev is totally useless. It is not a solution, just an expensive, uneconomic display to show off Chinese technological capabilities. India should learn from China and avoid building maglevs for urban transport. China is not the only failure story. The low-speed linimo in Japan is a total failure too. Clearly, maglev technology has not become economically efficient yet and more research is needed before it can become a reliable mass-transit system.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #18
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Because the maglev was a complete and utter white elephant for Shanghai. The Shanghai maglev is totally useless. It is not a solution, just an expensive, uneconomic display to show off Chinese technological capabilities.
ITYM German

Quote:
India should learn from China and avoid building maglevs for urban transport. China is not the only failure story. The low-speed linimo in Japan is a total failure too. Clearly, maglev technology has not become economically efficient yet and more research is needed before it can become a reliable mass-transit system.
Reliability is not the issue. It works well.

If it is such a failure, why are the opening hours continually being extended? Why do the autorities want to extend it across town?
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #19
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
ITYM German

Reliability is not the issue. It works well.

If it is such a failure, why are the opening hours continually being extended? Why do the autorities want to extend it across town?
Authorities want to extend it so that the airports will be connected and so that people can take the maglev to the 2010 expo site. It is geared toward tourists, not commuters. Personally, I think its a bad idea and if it were up to me, I'd have the maglev torn down and admit it was an economically bad choice. It is overpriced and useless as a commuter rail and most people take it because it is a tourist attraction in it of itself. Of course, I can't give you any hard evidence to back it up so I'll just say that this is my personal opinion.

Mumbai can do what it wants. If it can feasibly pull off a maglev dependent metro system, then more power to it. But looking at linimo and Shanghai maglev's performances, I would think its a bad idea.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #20
stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
It is overpriced and useless as a commuter rail and most people take it because it is a tourist attraction in it of itself. Of course, I can't give you any hard evidence to back it up so I'll just say that this is my personal opinion.
I don't think ppl take shanghai's maglev just as a tourist attraction. I personally took it as well from downtown to the airport. It's very convenient with a only 8 mininute ride at only 50 rmb (around $7). It's of course the first choice for ppl to go 2 the airport in terms of both time and expense.
stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote