daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2008, 04:42 AM   #201
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

I recently posted all of my pictures of the French Quarter in the Southeast US section. I took so many pictures in the French Quarter, that I had to divide them up into two threads (and I didn't even walk through the entire neighborhood). Below are some of my favorite French Quarter pictures.

Here are links to the full threads:
Daytime French Quarter pictures
Nighttime French Quarter Pictures

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:30 AM   #202
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12276

Brilliant New Orleans pics! Brought back many wonderful memories for me!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:23 AM   #203
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Brilliant New Orleans pics! Brought back many wonderful memories for me!
Thanks! I took a ton of pictures, not only of the French Quarter, but also of Downtown, a little bit of the Warehouse District, and lastly pictures of the Eagles/Saints game. I also took pictures from the plane. I took around 400 pictures for the entire trip.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:24 AM   #204
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Mansfield, PA

Old July 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM   #205
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I recently did a photo thread on Downtown and Chinatown in Washington, DC. Here are a couple pictures from my day trip down there.

The Boy Scout Memorial on the Eclipse, dedicated in 1964.

The Verizon Center, where Chinatown meets Downtown, home of the NBA's Washingotn Wizards and the NHL's Washington Capitals. The Verizon Center was built in 1997.

If you want to see the entire thread, without the pictures from around the Eclipse (they'll be in a separate thread), click HERE.
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM   #206
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Thanks! I took a ton of pictures, not only of the French Quarter, but also of Downtown, a little bit of the Warehouse District, and lastly pictures of the Eagles/Saints game. I also took pictures from the plane. I took around 400 pictures for the entire trip.
It is a wonderful town, and great fun to visit. The food is amazing!
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM   #207
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Along State Route 273, near Fair Hill, Maryland.

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM   #208
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
It is a wonderful town, and great fun to visit. The food is amazing!
The food was amazing. I didn't have a chance to eat at the famous places like Antoine's or Gallatoire's, since I couldn't afford $25 meals, but even the "common" restaurants had great food.

By the way, since you liked my pictures of Chateau Country from my "Daily Delaware Photo" thread (my true photo blog), I'm going to post a few Chateau Country pictures in here later in the week.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM   #209
Taller, Better
Administrator

Would love to see them!

I remember eating at Prudhomme's, but I was so blotto drunk I can't remember
what I ate! Think it may have been fish....
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM   #210
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here is a sample of my pictures from Rochester, New York.

Click HERE for a tour of Rochester's Downtown and High Falls neighborhoods.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM   #211
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Neat:

Old July 24th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #212
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Chateau Country is an area of northern Delaware that is largely undeveloped. The land has historically been owned by the super-elite of Delaware. Most of the land that makes up Chateau Country was actually owned by the DuPont family in the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century; the DuPonts owned several square miles of land in this area, which they had bought with their gunpowder fortune.

When the DuPonts arrived from France at the beginning of the 19th century, and they settled in the Wilmington area, they noted that the countryside looked remarkably like the countryside of England and France. Stone walls separated tracts of land, like in Europe, and foxhunting was common. Because of the similarities, the DuPonts refered to the area as "Chateau Country". Adding to the name was the fact that the DuPonts began building country estates like the gentry estates of France or England.

Today, most of the land that the DuPonts owned is now owned by other rich families, or was donated in some form. Much of the land is run by trustees or foundations set up by DuPont family members in their wills. Because of this private philanthropy, the land will never be developed, and will continue as rolling countryside.

Nestled in Chateau Country are a few hamlets. Even the most notable and prominent "hamlets" are usually nothing more than a handful of houses sprinkled around an intersection of two old farm roads. None of these hamlets and communities are incorporated. Many times, these hamlet and community names refer as much to the surrounding countryside as they do to the small collection of houses. The vast majority of Chateau Country is farmland, rolling fields, and woodlands, and the names of these places is used to distinguish areas of Chateau Country.

Montchanin is a "hamlet" located along Montchanin Road, also known as Delaware Route 100. Montchanin's sip code, 19710, has the distinction of being the richest zip code in the United States. The per capita income in the Montchanin zip code is over $600,000.

Rockland is a "hamlet" along the Brandywine River, centered around an old stone mill. There is no concentration of old houses in this area, but the mill site has been turned into upscale rural condos, and townhouses that are meant to compliment the mill have also been built. Rockland's zip code, 19732, has the distinction of having the third highest per capita income in the United States, behind only a fellow Delaware zip code for Montchanin, and a zip code in Houston.

Centreville is one of the larger communites in Chateau Country. This community is more of a true village than other places in the countryside. Centreville was named because it is about halfway between Wilmington and Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, on Kennett Pike. Centreville was originally spelled with an "re", which is uncommon in the United States, and since it is so uncommon, many have incorrectly spelled it with an "er". Even the state has misspelled it, putting up road signs directing people to "Centerville". The community's name and correct spelling were formally officiated recently.

Old July 24th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #213
Taller, Better
Administrator

I, like Flar , loved those little stone houses in post 211. So quaint and charming!
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #214
MDguy

Wow! How have i never seen this great thread! Awesome job man

do you have any info on this? Is it abandoned? Is it on Maryland's Eastern shore? Seems really interesting!
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #215
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Fair Hill is in Cecil County, about 10 or 15 minutes west of Newark, Delaware. It's a "hamlet", if you count a crossroads with a few houses and an old cenvenience store a hamlet. I don't know too much about those houses, other than that they are abandoned. I was actually on my way to a barbecue and road crews were working on 273, and so it was one way at a time. Traffic in my direction was stopped, and I happened to be sitting in front of those houses when I was waiting for opposing traffic to finish coming.
Old July 25th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #216
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

West Cape May, New Jersey

Old July 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #217
Taller, Better
Administrator

I'd love for someone to buy those stone buildings and fix them up! I can't believe it hasn't been done already. Talk about quaint charm!
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #218
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
I'd love for someone to buy those stone buildings and fix them up! I can't believe it hasn't been done already. Talk about quaint charm!
I'd like to see them used again as well, but I think that they are structurally unsound. I could see inside the one on the left, and there is no floor; it's just dirt. there are trees and bushes growing inside. Lastly, all fo the wood inside had fallen apart, and it looked like just touching the staircase or second floor with your fingertip would set off a collapse.
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #219
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

At the end of the week, I go on my annual vacation to Buffalo/Canada to visit my grandparents. Once again, I'll be driving. Since the drive from Delaware to Buffalo is scenic and a favorite of mine, here are pictures of places along the way. These pictures were taken either on the drive up to Canada or on the drive back to Delaware over the last 3 or 4 years. I've gone up to Buffalo for the last few Aprils as well, but since it's Summer right now, and it's my annual Summer trip, only Summer pictures are included.

I made sure to provide a nice mix of pictures. Some pictures are really taken along the route that I drive; they were taken from my car as I was driving. Some places are places along the way that I might stop at for gas, food, or just to stretc my legs. A few places are places along the route that are worth a quick stop. Finally, I threw in a couple true detours, where you would have to divert from the route to see these places, and then backtrack somewhat to get back to the destination.

The drive begins in the area of Wilmington, Delaware, and end in the area of Port Colborne, Ontario. All of these pictures are in chronological order of my drive up, regardless of whether they were taken driving up or coming back.

My route

TODAY: Delaware to South Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Northern Delaware farmland.

Hockessin, DE

Amish Country, along Pennsylvania Route 741 near Strasburg.

Strasburg, PA

Corn and tobacco crops on an Amish farm on Pennsylvania Route 896.

A Statue of Liberty on an old railroad bridge over the Susquehanna River, near Dauphin.

Crossing the Susquehanna River on U.S. Route 322.

Liverpool, PA

The Susquehanna River from U.S. Route 15 somewhere between Liverpool and Selinsgrove.

The view from the Eagle Pass overlook, just southeast of South Williamsport.

Looking at Montoursville.

Williamsport is visible if you stand at just the right spot at the rest stop.

The Little League Museum and Hall of Fame, in South Williamsport.

Old July 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #220
Taller, Better
Administrator

nice rolling countryside... beautiful views!