daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #61
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12277

I had to go back and have another look at some of the pix... those drunk guys made me laugh again!! I am in love with these stone Georgian style houses:

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #62
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

I agree, I like those old stone houses as well.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #63
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

US Route 20A in western New York is one of my favorite roads to drive on. The main reason why I love the road is because it is one of the final roads that I use to get to Buffalo, where my grandparents live, so when I am on the road, I know that I am getting close to seeing my relatives. The scenery is great in it's own right, though. The rolling hills, wooded ridges, and dairy farms make it very interesting.

This picture gives a good indication of a little crossroads hamlet, in this case it is the community of Perry Center. Perry Center is a small collection of houses with a convenience store or two at the traffic light. Located in the Town of Perry, near the Village of Perry, Perry Center is at the intersection of US Route 20A and NY Route 246.

This picture was taken in March or April a few years ago. The area looks much nicer in Summer, when everything is lush, green, and alive. I especially like it in the afternoon sunlight, which makes everything feel warmer.

Old February 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #64
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

The Point Abino Lighthouse, which sits on Point Abino just west of Fort Erie, Ontario, is one of Ontario's Great Lake treasures. Built in 1913 and made from poured concrete, the lighthouse was the last lighthouse in Ontario to be automated.

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #65
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Some Florida scenery in a western Tampa neighborhood.

Old February 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #66
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Those first shots of the Capitol with snow were pretty neat!
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #67
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

Oh man, that sun and and relatively cloudless weather is lookin' mighty nice!
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #68
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Those first shots of the Capitol with snow were pretty neat!
Those seem to be a favorite of a lot of people. It was a nice way to start off the thread, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvius View Post
Oh man, that sun and and relatively cloudless weather is lookin' mighty nice!
I definitely wouldn't mind being in Florida, right now.
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #69
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Pennsylvania scenery along US Route 322 near the hamlet of Blue Ball, in Lancaster County.

Old February 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #70
Taller, Better
Administrator

You going anywhere this winter for a beach vacation?
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #71
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

No, I usually can't go anywhere in Winter because that is the peak time for the Swimming season, which I coach. I am also a student right now, so I can't really take time off and skip classes or homework assignments.

I did find some time to go down to New Orleans right before Christmas for a Philadelphia Eagles game. My friends and I have started a tradition of going to one road game every year. We started with Tampa last season, continued with New Orleans this season, and are working on next season already. The Eagles play in some nice cities next year, so we have lots of options. Seattle, San Francisco, and Chicago are all great cities, and the Eagles play there. Cincinnati is another city that the Eagles play in. Cincinnati probably isn't as fun as a place like Chicago or San Francisco, but their stadium is ripe for a complete take-over by Eagles fans, so we are also considering Cincinnati. The Eagles play in Baltimore as well next season, and I plan on going to that road game, but we will not be considering that our "big road trip".

Looking farther into the future, we already have some destinations set: the Eagles play in San Diego in Fall 2009, so we are looking forward to that. The Eagles play in Jacksonville in Fall 2010, so that is on our list. The Eagles play in Miami in 2011, so that is on our list; the Eagles also play in Buffalo (maybe Toronto now) in 2011, and since I have family in Buffalo, I will be going to that road game.

I also go on road trips for the Phillies, since I have more time in the Summer. Last Summer, I went to Washington DC and Pittsburgh. The year before, I went to Baltimore. I also went to Baltimore in 2003. This year, I plan on going to New York City, specifically to Shea Stadium. The Phillies also play in Arizona in May, and I have a friend out there, so I might try to get out there as well.

I have done a couple road trips for the Flyers. Both have actually been in your area: last April in Toronto, and April 2006 in Buffalo. It might be too hard to do a road trip for the Flyers this year, but I am looking at Pittsburgh right now.

I have not gone on any road trips for the 76ers, although I want to do that this year (and get my Flyers trip in), so that I can complete the Superfecta. We'll see if I can pull it off with my schedule.

Other than that, I travel in the Summer, and it is really only to visit my grandparents and relatives in the Buffalo area.
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #72
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Geno's Steaks, one of Philadelphia's famous cheesesteak joints. Geno's is located at 9th, Wharton, and Passayunk Avenues.

Old February 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #73
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
The Point Abino Lighthouse, which sits on Point Abino just west of Fort Erie, Ontario, is one of Ontario's Great Lake treasures. Built in 1913 and made from poured concrete, the lighthouse was the last lighthouse in Ontario to be automated.
Interesting. I hardly ever go anywhere along the eastern part of Lake Erie. Port Dover and Long Point is all I've seen.
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #74
Taller, Better
Administrator

Is a Cheesesteak sandwich what we would call a Philly? Roast beef, mayo in a bun? I love 'em!
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #75
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Interesting. I hardly ever go anywhere along the eastern part of Lake Erie. Port Dover and Long Point is all I've seen.
I would like to see more of Lake Erie's Canadian shoreline, myself. I have seen it as far west as Rocky Point Provincial Park. I noticed in aerial images that there are a couple islands east of Rocky Point P.P., but I could not see them on a cloudy day as I drove along the roads going along the shore. One of those islands has an old abandoned lighthouse on it; I'd like to see that thing up close some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Is a Cheesesteak sandwich what we would call a Philly? Roast beef, mayo in a bun? I love 'em!
This "Philly" sandwich is nothing like a cheesesteak, and to be honest, Philadelphians would be amused and ashamed that a sandwich like that bears the name of the city. A cheesesteak is chopped rib-eye steak and cheese. The cheese is usually American, Provolone, or Cheese Whiz. The sandwich can be with or without onions. Condiments are really not supposed to go on the sandwiches, although kethcup is acceptable if you really need to have it. If you choose not to get cheese on your sandwich, it is referred to as a "steak" or "steak sandwich". If you choose to get peppers along with the onions, or just peppers, it is called a "pepper steak". If you choose to get marinara sauce, it is called a "pizza steak". A true Philly cheesesteak uses Amoroso rolls; if it's not an Amoroso roll, Philadelphians will label the sandwich as an imposter, no matter what ingredients are used or where the shop owner lived.

As for me, like like my cheesesteaks "Whiz Wit", meaning Cheese Whiz for the cheese and with onions (as opposed to "witout" onions).
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #76
Taller, Better
Administrator

Chopped rib eye has my mouth watering. No, the way you described it makes what we call a Philly pale by comparison. Ours are usually on a long bun, with sliced roast beef, mayo (maybe some horseradish in it????) and possibly onions or green peppers. They are good, but a CheeseSteak is sounding better. (I don't ever eat the one at Arby's... their roast beef looks awful to me) I went out and got some freshly ground top lean ground beef, some delicious onion buns, some sweet onion and mushrooms to sautee, and some amazing butcher shop bacon to make some good old-fashioned burgers for dinner!!
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #77
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Yes, a cheesesteak is pretty delicious. The meat is not roasted, but is grilled, for lack of a better word. (Maybe "sauteed" could also describe how it is cooked.) I will have to do some research and see if I can find out about any places in the Toronto area that serve authentic or near-authentic Philly cheesesteaks.
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #78
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Gritty houses on Main Street in Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania. Schuylkill Haven is a small mountain town in Schuylkill County in the rural part of the eastern half of the state, commonly called "the Coal Region".

Old February 19th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #79
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

To celebrate Delaware is the "State of the Week" in the U.S. section, here are some pictures of Legislative Hall in Dover. Legislative Hall is the capitol building for the state of Delaware, and was built in 1933. It replaced the nearby Old State House, which was too small to house the state's government.

Old February 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #80
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here are some pictures showing Delaware's Swedish history. I have more pictures showing Delaware's early history in the State of the Week thread.

Delaware's modern history starts with the first Europeans to come to what is now the state. The Swedes arrived in present-day Wilmington in 1638. Their Fort Christina settlement, and nearby settlements that collectively made up New Sweden, became Sweden's only attempt at colonization in the New World. This was not the first European settlement in Delaware, however. The Dutch had established the colony of Zwaanendael at present-day Lewes in 1631 as a whaling port. The colony was wiped out after local Indians killed all of the occupants.

Old Swedes Church, at 7th & Church Streets in Wilmington. Old Swedes Church is the oldest church in continuous use in the United States, dating back to 1698.

The monument in Fort Christina Park, dedicated in March 1938 to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the founding of the Swedish colony.

The Rocks at Fort Christina Park, which were used by the Swedes as a wharf when they first landed in the New World.

The Swedes came over to the New World on two ships: The Kalmar Nyckel and the Vogel Grip. The Kalmar Nyckel was re-created in the late 1990's and is the state of Delaware's official Tall Ship.