daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #81
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Interesting, I had no idea Delaware had Swedish roots.

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #82
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post

when I read this, I read it as "I had no idea Delaware had Swedish riots"...
and was puzzled and shocked to imagine the good Swedes rioting!! LOL!
perhaps caused by shortages of Lingonberry sauce!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Yes, a cheesesteak is pretty delicious. The meat is not roasted, but is grilled, for lack of a better word. (Maybe "sauteed" could also describe how it is cooked.) I will have to do some research and see if I can find out about any places in the Toronto area that serve authentic or near-authentic Philly cheesesteaks.
please do, xzmattzx, and I will go there, photograph the sandwich and then
demolish it!!
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:43 AM   #83
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Yes, it's a very unique part of North American history. Almost no one in the U.S. outside of Delaware learns about this, but it is something interesting to think about and being a former Swedish colony is something unique to Delaware (although small Swedish outposts could be found in southeast Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey along the Delaware River, before the Dutch took over the colony).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
please do, xzmattzx, and I will go there, photograph the sandwich and then
demolish it!!
It will take a little bit of time to find some good places, but I'll see what I can come up with.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #84
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Below is the post that I made in the State of the Week thread for today. Be sure to check out the thread in the U.S. Urban Issues section this week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very few people know of Delaware's extremely rich Black history. Delaware was an interesting state before the Civil War, and was a slave state but had the highest population of Free Blacks of any state in the country. Also, while slavery was legal, Quakers were prominent in the northern part of the state, particularly Wilmington, and so Delaware was one place where Abolitionism got it's start. The number of Free Blacks in the state made the state the center of African American culture in the early decades of the nation. The nation's first Black church, the Union Church of Africans, was started in Wilmington by Bishop Peter Spencer. Additionally, the August Quarterly, the nation's oldest Arfican American festival, was started in Wilmington in 1813.

The Underground Railroad was huge in Delaware, since the large number of Free Blacks and the border with Pennsylvania made the state the "home stretch" for runaway slaves. Harriet Tubman, an escaped slave herself from Cambridge, Maryland, on the Delmarva Peninsula, led hundreds of slaves from Cambridge to Wilmington over the course of several years. Once in Wilmington, slaves were helped by people such as Thomas Garrett, a prominent Quaker merchant. Garrett eventually was caught helping slaves, and lost every possession that he owned in court for his actions.

The gravesite of Peter Spencer, the founder of the nation's first Black church and the nation's first Black festival.

Friends Meeting House on the northwest corner of 4th & West Streets in Wilmington. Quakers were vehemently against slavery, and anti-slavery sentiment in Wilmington was centered around this Quaker house of worship. The surrounding neighborhood is known as Quaker Hill, since the meetinghouse sits on top of a small hill.

This house on the southeast corner of 4th & West Streets in Wilmington is one of many stops on the Underground Railroad in Delaware. Unfortunately, very few stops exist today. It is rumored that an underground tunnel connects the basement of this house with the Christina River, just a few blocks away.

Tubman-Garrett Park, on Rosa Parks Drive at Market Street and Water Street in the Riverfront area of Wilmington, was created in the 1990's and is named for Harriet Tubman and Thomas Garrett, two people who played a very important role on the Underground Railroad and who did so in Wilmington.

This building was once Hockessin School #107C. The school was a Colored school, built in 1920. Before desegregation, busing was not provided for Blacks or for schools for Blacks. One student, Shirley Bulah, needed busing to get to school because she lived far away from this school. Since buses were not available for Blacks, they tried to get the school bus for Whites to pick her up. Officials refused, and Shirley's mother filed a suit. The lawsuit became Bulah vs. Gebhart, and Delaware Chancellor Collins J. Seitz overturned the segregation law. The ruling was appealed, and the case went to the U.S. Supreme Court, where it was combined along with 2 other cases with the Brown vs. Board of Education case which struck down segregation nationwide.

A statue of Louis Redding, the attorney that represented Shirley Bulah's mother, Sarah, in the Bulah vs. Gebhart landmark case. Redding was considered the best Black attorney in Delaware in his time.

Howard High School, opened up in 1928 with money from Pierre S. DuPont to build a new school building. Founded in 1867, the school was named for Civil War General Oliver Otis Howard. Howard High School became Delaware's best school for Blacks after receiveing money from P.S. DuPont. In the early 1900's the DuPont family became prominent philanthropists, helping the state in many ways. P.S. DuPont became known for funding schools, both for Whites and Blacks.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM   #85
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

My most recent post about Delaware's history deals with war. Here is some wartime history about Delaware. For more pictures regarding this history, visit the State of the Week thread.

Only one battle during the Revolutionary War was fought in Delaware: the Battle of Cooch's Bridge, on September 3, 1777. This battle was more of a skirmish, as local militiamen took the responsibility of trying to stall the British as they marched to Philadelphia from nearby Elkton, Maryland. Using guerilla tactics and hiding in the banks of Christina Creek, the militiamen stalled the British for a couple days. Legend has it that the Stars & Stripes were flown for the first time in battle at Cooch's Bridge.

In the War of 1812, the British tried to take the town of Lewes, at the mouth of Delaware Bay. In April 1813, the British began firing on Lewes. Lewes, at the time, did not stretch out to the Delaware Bay, and water access was limited to Lewes Creek. The British ships were too big to sail into the creek, and so the spit of land between the town and the Delaware Bay was big enough to make most cannon shots ineffective. No human casualties were reported, and after a few days of firing, the British had to give up. The Cannonball House, built in 1797 on Front Street, was one of the few structures hit by cannon fire. The spot where a cannonbal hit the house can still be seen to this day.

Fort Delaware, on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River, is located near Delaware City. The fort never saw any action, but it was built in 1859 primarily to protect Philadelphia, Wilmington, and smaller ports from the inevitable war between the states. Once the war started, since fighting took place in the South, the fort began to be used as a Prisoner of War camp. Most Confederate P.O.W.s from the Battle of Gettysburg were sent to Fort Delaware, and the P.O.W. population in the tent barracks surrounding the fort swelled from 12,000 to over 40,000. Inhumane living conditions led to the fort eventually being called the "Andersonville of the North".

Fort Miles was developed in 1940 with a World War just beginning. When the U.S. entered World War II, Fort Miles was used to guard the Delaware coast and Delaware Bay from Nazi U-Boats, which were occasionally seen offshore in Delaware. Towers were built along the Delaware coast to keep watch, with most towers being located in Fort Miles and the Cape Henlopen area. Fort Miles saw almost no action, however, and only fired its guns in defense once during the entire war. Fort Miles has the distinction of having a U-Boat surrender to them; in 1945, the Nazis began Operation Seawolf, which was to sink as many American vessels along the American shoreline as possible in a desperate attempt to win the war. Germany surrendered before any U-Boats could begin the operation, but on U-Boat had made it to the U.S. U-858 surrendered at Fort Miles on May 14, 1945, and was the first Nazi vessel to surrender to Allied troops.

Old February 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #86
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Delaware is no longer the state of the week in the U.S. section. However, here are some more pictures from Delaware. These pictures are of mansions with DuPont ties to them.

Delaware's history is almost synonymous with the history of the Dupont Company. The company was founded in 1803 to produce black powder for guns in North America. The Dupont Company became the leader in gunpowder and explosive products around the world, and the du Pont family amassed inconceivable wealth. The company became a Federally-protected monopoly in the early 20th Century, even with anti-monopoly laws going into effect, because the U.S. did not want the company broken up and the gunpowder products becoming inferior during World War I. After World War I, the company diversified into chemical products, and continueed to grow into a world power. Today, Dupont is one of the strongest and most famous corporations in the world, and the company is one of 30 included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. The du Pont family became the first Royal Family of Corporate America, and the effects of the family on the state can be seen everywhere, from A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital (considered the best children's hospital in the world), DuPont Highway, several schools bearing the DuPont family name, several buildings in Wilmington bearing the name of the family or other names indicating ties to the family or company, and so on.

Winterthur was the home of Henry Francis du Pont. Winterthur was built in 1839 by James Bidermann and was expanded in the early 20th Century by Henry du Pont. H.F. du Pont was a horticulturalist who planted extensive flower gardens on part of the surrounding 2,500 acres, and he also collected artifacts of Americana. Today, Winterthur houses the largest collection of Americana items, and the gardens surrounding the old mansion are considered to be one of the best flower gardens in the world.

Eleutherian Mills was the first du Pont family home. The house overlooks the surrounding Eleutherian Mills Blackpowder Yard, where the DuPont Company was started and was based for over 100 years.

The Gibraltar Mansion was built in 1844 by John Rodney Brinkle, and was bought by Isabella Mathieu du Pont Sharp in 1909. The mansion is now abandoned but the gardens are open to the public.

Last edited by xzmattzx; February 27th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old February 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #87
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Enough of Delaware for now. Right now, with such a nice, bright, sunny day down here, I'm in the mood to post some pictures from Summer. These pictures are from western New York, which looks great in the Summer.

Here is a mini-tour of Penn Yan, New York. Penn Yan is the county seat of Yates County and is on the northeast tip of Keuka Lake. Pen Yan got its name from its early settlers. Half were from PENNsylvania, and half were from New England (YANkees).

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM   #88
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Lake Street, Bridgeton, New Jersey

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #89
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I am working on a photo thread for Center City Philadelphia right now. Here is a sneak preview. These four pictures are from Broad Street.

Old March 6th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #90
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Ontario is the province of the month in the Canadian section, and since I am up in Ontario at least once a year to vacation with my extended family, I will be posting some pictures of Ontario towns for the next few days.

Today's Ontario town is Dunnville, in Haldimand County.

Old March 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #91
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Continuing with the "Cities in Ontario" theme, here are a few pictures from Niagara-on-the-Lake. Niagara-on-the-Lake is where the Niagara River meets with Lake Ontario.

Old March 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #92
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Today's Ontario city is London, the 15th largest city in Canada by population.

Old March 10th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #93
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Today's Ontario city is Saint Catharines, located on the Welland Canal and on Lake Ontario.

Old March 10th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #94
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Nice Ontario pics

London is also the 10th largest metro area in Canada, and a very pleasant city.
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #95
Taller, Better
Administrator

Great pics!! I loved that building on Broad Street in Philly.. what a great town that is
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #96
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Today's Ontario city of Port Colborne. Port Colborne is at the south end of the Welland Canal, on Lake Erie. The Welland Canal's north terminus is in yesterday's city, Saint Catharines.

Old March 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #97
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Today's Ontario city if Brantford. Brantford is located west of Hamilton. It was formerly the seat of Brant County before becoming an independent city.

Old March 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #98
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Today's Ontario city is Niagara Falls.

Old March 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #99
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Today's Ontario city is Fort Erie. Fort Erie sits along the border with the United States, where Lake Erie squeezes into the Niagara River. Old Fort Erie is located in the town, and the Battle of Fort Erie took place here during the War of 1812.

Old March 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #100
Taller, Better
Administrator

That certainly is a classic 1800 style of colonial British army architecture! Love going inside those buildings, but have never been to that particular one. Thanks for posting!