daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #161
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

I really enjoyed those batches of photos, and the Budweiser Clydes brought back pleasant memories of St Louis!! That is the kind of day out that I would love to have gone on. Thanks for capturing it for us!

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #162
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I really enjoyed those batches of photos, and the Budweiser Clydes brought back pleasant memories of St Louis!! That is the kind of day out that I would love to have gone on. Thanks for capturing it for us!
Thanks! Last installment coming up.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #163
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Finally, pictures of the races.

As my friends and I were walkign around and admiring the carriages, the first race has started.

The race was broadcast on the Jumbotron so that people could see the action, even if it was on the other side of the hill.

The first few races were timber races, which meant that the horses had to jump over wooden fences.

Attendees oculd place bets on horses. This was done the old-fashioned way: a guy would take your money, then use a crayon and simply write down the horse's number and how much you wagered on a piece of scrap paper. Odds were written in chalk on a chalkboard.

The start of the second race.

Collecting on my winning bet.

For the third, fourth, and fifth races, I watched the action from where my friends and I were tailgating. We had an unobstructed view of the horses for a short stretch.

Old May 16th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #164
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Great pictures, a very nice thread you got goin here!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #165
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Great pictures, a very nice thread you got goin here!
Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #166
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

We got pounded by a Noreaster this past Monday. Trees fell down across the state, the Coast Guard had to make about 5 separate rescues at sea, and the coastal areas along the Atlantic Ocean and Delaware Bay had to be evacuated as the storm surge moved inland. The Delaware Bay communities, like Woodland Beach and Kitts Hummock, were hit hardest. What was worst about this storm is that it took everyone by surprise; it was supposed to be nothing more than a rainmaker.

I was planning on going down to the beach the next day, and set out in the morning expecting everything to be back to normal. I realized that this wasn't the case when signs indicated that Delaware Route 1 was closed in the Dewey Beach area because it was still flooded. I decided to head along U.S. Route 113 and tour a few Sussex County towns, then head east to Bethany Beach. I arrived in Bethany Beach to see that they had been hit pretty hard as well.

The RV Russell W. Peterson, a research vessel that was studying wind patterns and bird patterns for a proposed wind farm off of the Delaware coast, was shipwrecked on the beach. Unfortunately, one crewman dies in the ordeal.

Normally, there is plenty of sand in between the dunes and the water, but the storm washed that all away. The waves also eroded the dunes to the opint where they became little cliffs dropping into the high water mark.

Pennsylvania Avenue, two blocks inland, was flooded from the storm surge cresting over the sand dunes at some point.

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #167
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here are a few pictures of a true gem in Delaware, the city of New Castle. New Castle is so well-preserved that John Rockefeller wanted to use the city as his "living history museum". Transforming the city into a museum would've meant that many buildings would've been destroyed. Fortunately, residents wouldn't sell to him. Rockefeller eventually had to settle for Williamsburg, Virginia, as his living history museum.

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #168
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

Nice shots. I like the style of New Castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Transforming the city into a museum would've meant that many buildings would've been destroyed.
That seems a little contradictory!
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #169
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That seems a little contradictory!
I should've explained it better. Buildings that did not fit intot he exact time period that Rockefeller wanted to portray would've been destroyed. That means that anything from the 1800s, and even some buildings from before colonial times that didn't fit into his overall image, would've been razed. Residents didn't want any of that.

Map of buildings that would be destroyed
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #170
Taller, Better
Administrator

Do you know how old those buildings are? We would call that style "Georgian" ... is it called "Federal" in the USA? I'd love to visit that town.
Also loved the horse races on grass... such a lovely old fashioned idea!
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #171
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Do you know how old those buildings are? We would call that style "Georgian" ... is it called "Federal" in the USA? I'd love to visit that town.
Also loved the horse races on grass... such a lovely old fashioned idea!
I can't really tell you what kind of architecture that is, since I'm not too familiar with the various kinds.

Building ages in colonial New Castle range anywhere from the mid-1600s to the early 1800s. Most of the buildings in these pictures are from the late 1600s to the mid-1700s; I used them in a thread in the U.S. section about best-preserved downtowns, and these are just some of the buildings in the very central core of the colonial section of New Castle (with the colonial section itself being the central area of New Castle).

There is actually a lot of history in a few of those pictures. The house/business in the second-last picture is the William Penn House, and it is believed that William Penn spent his first night on the soil of his new colony there (Delaware was a part of Pennsylvania at the time). The building in the last picture and third-to-last picture is the New Castle Court House, which served at the state capitol of Delaware until it moved to Dover in 1777. The old advertisement for Ivory soap dates back to around the early or mid-1700s, and that advertisement is along one side of Packet Alley. Packet Alley was a small alleyway whith led down from The Strand to the Delaware River, and many famous people, from Henry Clay to Stonewall Jackson to Chief Osceola to David Crockett to Andrew Jackson walked up Packet Alley as they arrived in New Castle.

Those pictures of New Castle really only scratch the surface of the extensive historic architecture of New Castle. It really is a national gem, yet it is so underrated and underappreciated that even many Delawareans don't know how nice it is, and it's possible to find a parking spot right in the middle of town on even the most crowded day. New Castle is really just another place that people live in around here, except the buildings are 200 or 300 years old and preserved to look as they did when they were built.

Here is a link to a more extensive tour I did of New Castle a couple years ago. I thik you'll like the city even more after you see the pictures.

NEW CASTLE
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #172
flar
____

They are called Georgian in the US too. Some of the New Castle buildings are Adam. I think Federal and Adam might be the same. Georgian and Adam styles are very similar, generally the ones with the semi circular fanlight above the doorway are Adam and the ones with the little rectangular windows above the door are Georgian.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM   #173
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Okay, time to leave Delaware and show some other places.

I recently did a thread on Seneca Falls, New York. Here are some of the pictures.

The Wesleyan Chapel at the Women's Rights National Historic Park. The first Women's Rights Convention was formed by Elizabeth Cady Stanton and held in this building on July 19 & 20, 1848.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM   #174
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Canal Street, New Orleans. The Astor Crowne Plaza is on the left.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:52 AM   #175
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

Very nice pics.
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #176
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

To celebrate the unofficial beginning of Summer, the Memorial Day weekend, here are some pictures from the Motel District in Wildwood Crest, New Jersey. Wildwood, North Wildwood, West Wildwood, and Wildwood Crest (collectively known as "the Wildwoods") are known for having arguably the best Doo Wop architecture in the nation. The Motel District, a neighborhood of motels mainly built in the post-war era, has one of the greatest concentrations in the Wildwoods.

More Motel District pictures to come at the end of Summer.
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #177
Taller, Better
Administrator

I LOVE motel strips. We had a classic one here on the Lakeshore Drive, but I think most of it has been bulldozed and developed..
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #178
flar
____

cool style in the Wildwoods
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #179
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

More great pictures, those motels look cool!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #180
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I'm glad that people enjoyed the motel pictures. At first, I was surprised that people liked the pictures. Then again, my original thread got a lot of attention when I posted it in the Fall.

To see all of my pictures from the Motel District in Wildwood Crest, click HERE.