daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

The 4th district of Budapest - Újpest

Let me present you my district. It is the 4th one in Budapest.

A little history:

Everything began in the 1830's, when a merchant, called Márton Mildenberger, had his carts wheel broken. In the middle of nowhere. Later,he told the owner of the region, count Sándor Károlyi, that this is nonsence that there is nothing here,what if something happens to people en route to Pest...This is how the rumour goes.
The fact is that in the 1830',there were a few building in the area. A bar,a stable and a guardhouse.
By the 1840', the settlement reached village status. It was evident,that the closeness of Pest meant that the industry leaving it settled in Újpest. In 1870, the village was the largest in the country(among villages).
It reacher town status in 1907. the first mayor was Gyula Ugró(the street where I live is named after him). The town was developed in all senses. It had its own theatre, firestation,riverport, and with the generous gift of the founding family, the Károlyis, its own post office and hospital.
The streets were stone streets, were lit in the night, and tap water was introduced in all homes, along with severs.
By 1910, the town was 4th biggest industrial center of Hungary. Even the biggest companies(Tungsram,Chinoin) maintained factories here.
In 1929, the town got "megyei jogú város(city with county rights)" title. A power plant was also built here.
By the end of the WWII, not only the war devastated the town, but in 1945, a flood too.
In 1950, Újpest was annexed by Budapest. After this event got Újpest its commieblock-look. In 1983, the construction started on a new subdivision,called "Káposztásmegyer(large commie-block area)". In the 90', the 3rd metro line also reached the district. The industry slowly degenerated, now the bank of the Danube is full of deserted,old factories.However, the development didnt stop. The commieblocks are renovated, entire new residental subdivisions are constructed, so Újpest is now home to approx. 110000 inhabitants.
New projects here are a hotel with aquapark, the destruction of the old factories and building new, 4-level residental houses, and the building of the northern M0 Danube-bridge in Budapest, the bridge of the M0 ringroad. The renovation/reconstruction of the northern railway-connector bridge will also be on the way this year. There are plans for a new bridge in the city-center of Újpest, and extending the M3 metro further north.

This is the first "sight" along my route, the industrial park of Újpest.

But what is that in the distance?

As you can see, there are still new buildings erected in this industrial park.

The first new house on my route.

Ok,I wont comment every house now.

This is a new,5 star hotel and aqua park u/c.

The u/c M0 bridge in the distance

New houses again.

The factory of Messer,just beside the houses.

Sprawl-like area,just after the new houses.

The stadium of UTE(the local sports club),which was renovated/rebuilt some years ago.

There are some car dealerships in the area.

Old factory/residential building are torn down...

..to make place for the new. This is the future Károlyi István City Centre.

The same here...old,abandoned factories are demolished,to make place for the new city centre.

New building,in the heart of the district.

A commie-block-ish building nearby...

...But the area is full with new houses too.

There are still constructions going on!

New house in the narrow street,where flats are still vacant.

The tramline in the hearth of the district is reconstructed. Tracks are in their places. The state of the work at the beginning of October
here

This is a new part,made some years ago.

Highrise(compared to the others) residential building,with a car dealership in front,nearby.

I cant believe! This is the other end of the district,but I still can find new buildings!

And there are still u/c ones!

A fair is coming to town!

This was the oldest commie in the area. But it was fully renovated quite some years ago,and 2 extra floors were added(the roof),and now it looks like a new house!

A renovated school.

And a panorama from yet an other sprawl-like area. To the left,behind the bushes,is a very good restaurant! Its called "Vécsey restaurant(vendéglő,actually). Try it,if you are here.

I was walking,and suddenly,the ground started to shake,and this baby came by.

The winter harbour with the ship repair facilities. the firefighters' ship is also stationed somewhere here.

Károlyi István Városközpont(Károlyi István city Centre)

Újpest-Városkapu(City gate). That building was the old Újpesti remiz(depot) for trams. It was abandoned when the tramline on the Váci road was suspended,due to the metro. Later,a Match opened here.

One of Újpest's main road,the Árpád road.

New buses at Újpest.

The building to the right is the police headquarters of Újpest.

Old Ikarus in new cloth.

That big area is/was the planned next station of metro M3,if it will ever be built. The area is empty for more than a decade.

The power plant of Újpest,which produces (central)heat(ing) and electricity for the district.

Árpád "mall". Its pretty old. It was built more than 10 years ago.

This is how Budapest(and I think the rest of Hungary) collects recyclable waste. Blue is for paper,Yellow is for plastic,green is for coloured glass, grey is for metal,and white is for white glass.

In spite all of this development,Újpest is still full of commie blocks,and will be for some time.

And finally,some pics about my neighbourhood.

This is a "new" residential area nearby,built like 5 years ago.

This is a small part of the huge sporting facilities here.

Road leading to a more important one. The reason why there is no connection(~100m),because the
residents dont want traffic near their homes. I suppose they walk to their workplaces,since
they dont want to drive in front of others houses either...

A new overpass inaugurated last year. It helped a lot reducing congestion in the area.

Now this is a good purpose of graffiti.

Overpass of Árpád road,going to Újpalota.

The old water tower of Újpest.

A new shopping area where there were abandoned houses a few years ago.

My grandparents lived in this house,on the 4th floor,if I remeber right. I always had great time
here. They moved to the flat beside us. This place brings back a lot of memories…

Károlyi Hospital nearby.

Last time I was here,this school was very rundown,and was being renovated. Now it is renovated.

Playground nearby.

The power plant of Újpest

Building of Chinoin(producing pharmaceuticals),which is a member of Sanofi Aventis.

The only new office building in Újpest,and a new residential building. They started building the
offices when I went to secondary school,which was 6 years ago,and still,only 1 building stands
out of 3.

This is the driving school in Újpest. There is a practice field behind it,where students learn
the basics.

The practice field.

This is the only place,where this tramline's track is separated with stone "breasts".This short
segment of the track was repaired when the road was renovated,thats the reason for it.

Könyves Kálmán Secondary School.

This is the feeling of an average commieblock-area in Újpest.

The future place of the next metro station on the M3 line. Now it is a parking lot.

Árpád Hospital.

New shopping area(again).

Water tower of Újpest(again).

More pics about Budapest(and other parts of the photoseries from which these photos were taken): http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=404018.
Thank you for checking out my district!
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM   #2
artoor

Likes (Received): 51

Thank you for checking out my district![/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing with us your report of this unknown
area of wonderful Budapest!
artoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

a lot of new change in this district.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM   #4
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Great report RawLee

The commuter train looks really nice. I also like the design of the trams, although they seem to be quite old.
lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #5
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
Great report RawLee

The commuter train looks really nice. I also like the design of the trams, although they seem to be quite old.
The trams are 30 year old at max(the first of this type was introduced in 1978).
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM   #6
tunderke

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
The trams are 30 year old at max(the first of this type was introduced in 1978).
Nice pics, RawLee.
I'm very proud of you
tunderke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM   #7
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 10

wow this is some great report... tnx...
although... i'd like to see some map of the area maybe, just to see where did you go :P
DJZG no está en línea   Reply With Quote