SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Favorite Australian Skyline

107K views 138 replies 95 participants last post by  lun 
#1 ·
Topic is self explanatory.

For me it would be Melbourne (even though Sydney is more clustered).

by aumbody images and taken from Albert Park Lake

See less See more
#4 ·
The Gold Coast has a lot of talls (Q1 especially, plus more talls planned) but its too, I don't know how to say it.. its a collection of tall buildings, most of which don't relate to each other, its a bit like Dubai.. they just sit amongst each other, but don't really gel into a skyline.. I think maybe thats due to (like Dubai (I imagine, never been so correct me if I'm wrong)) has a low-density centre with then vast high rises and very little space fillers in between to balance it out (like Sydney, NYC, etc etc)..

Brisbane, when I was there I only saw the waterfront at night (on Storey Bridge) so was hard to make out how good it was, it had some nice buildings mind (I did however see it from the airport runway and it looked really dense.. suprised me actually as it didn't seem that dense when I was in the middle of it!!!)

Unfortunately I haven't (yet!!) been to Melbourne, but it looks fab... as for Sydney, well.. what can you say.. absolutely stunning, and therefore, my fave :)

#6 · (Edited)
Melbourne

Sydney is more familiar to most people, but objectively speaking, Melbourne's trumps it. It has the height, and better looking buildings. No opera house, but opera houses have zero effect on a skyline. A skyline is the line that buildings form against the sky.

#21 ·
I find Sydney's skyline more cohesive, more dense, more pleasing in shape, and as a whole, I don't find Melbourne's buildings any nicer.

Besides, when it comes to height, I'm not as impressed by peak height as I am by mean height, in which I feel Sydney is quite competitive.

#14 ·
This is a toughie! Sydney is beautiful with the habour and all but I'll have to go with Melbourne. I guess Melbs reminded me more of my city, Montréal with it's similar vibe. I have to throw one in for WA too and mention beautiful Perth! I spent most of my time in Melbourne and Perth so I may be biased. I never made it to BrisVegas but it looks awesome.

#20 ·
Melbourne All the Way!!!
i live there (close to the city) and I can tell you, no arguement, that Melbourne has the best skyline in Australia and is definetly, by far, one of the most beautiful and well-planned cities of the world

#37 ·
In an attempt to stop this turning into a Melbourne vs Sydney thing which happen all too often in Australia, here are some pics of Perth and Brisbane's skylines (As far as I'm concerned Brisbane gets the most improved award, Perth on the other hand hasn't really changed in 16 years).
to true /cry!

we are trying but and i think by the end of this year perth will look like crane city! (i hope) :lol:

as for the thread i will hold off untill i go to sydney and melbourne at the end of feb!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.