daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1
PwnedByASkyscraper
iPura Vida!

Likes (Received): 4

The Pantheon

If you ever put any thought into it, the Pantheon is easily one of the greatest buildings ever made. It was built around A.D. 125 under the Roman emperor Hadrian in the heart of Rome as a shrine to the Roman gods.

by mirko
image hosted on flickr

Look at the dome's interior. The dome was made all out of concrete, meaning it would weigh several tons. The Romans built the symmetric setbacks, called coffers all along the dome's side to prevent the dome from cracking apart which it hasn't done in its 19 centuries of existence. Here's another thing to grasp. The circle on the top is perfect in shape, and it's just the right size to allow the Pantheon to be fully lit during the day.

image hosted on flickr

Also, here's a segment from the History channel talking about it

Paises Favoritas Que Yo Visite: United States, Costa Rica, Nederland, Espana, Deutschland

*All images I contribute to the site are from Flickr unless stated otherwise.
PwnedByASkyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Sagaris

Likes (Received): 51

Great building. Shame the only time I ever visited it was on a summer afternoon at the end of my sightseeing, the temp was in the high 30s and ive been walking around Rome since morning. I was nearly dead, which is a shame because, along with the Battistero in Florentia, this is one of the most underrated structures in history.
Sagaris no está en línea   Reply With Quote